• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•25-27•18 - Solo opens so low, Deadpool 2 continues to do so-so, and Infinity War crawls closer to 2B WW

Can you blame them?

The hate for Kathleen Kennedy stem from the fact that she emphasize female gender in the name of feminism.

Its especially annoying when majority of Star Wars fans are male and the she had the nerve to rub it in their face with this cringeworthy moment.

ZvPEFCj.jpg

This is actually really clever.

DiscoJer

I'm not at all saying that anyone who didn't like TLJ was because of political reasons, but I have noticed on Youtube especially a lot of TLJ criticism is wrapped up in anti-feminism.

I think that's partly because of how the movie was, how Luke was portrayed in the original trilogy vs how Rey is in the new one. Luke was kinda inept, insecure, and had trouble becoming a Jedi. Rey OTOH was more like a Mary Sue. Or if you prefer, a Wesley Crusher. And some of that is because of feminism, how the idea is that women are automatically amazing at everything.

Its an alright film, I would not say its "pretty good". I didnt hate it but I also never plan to watch it again. The only thing I didnt like are the things that they threw in to explain Han's character. Seemed like they were just ticking off a checklist of his character traits and iconic imagery.

Woody Harrelson's character and acting is fine but its very apparent its Woody Harrelson. I wasnt thrown off in a similar manner by Emilia Clarke.

There is no "I want to fuck everything" vibe to Lando. He's playboy-ish and thats about it.

The trailers gives off that "good for a single watch" vibe. Speaking of vibes! Hey, I'm just parroting what I've been hearing people say. Regardless though, I want to see how well he emulates Billy Dee Williams. Loved Lando in the original TESB and ROTJ.

BANGS

Banned
Can you blame them?

The hate for Kathleen Kennedy stem from the fact that she emphasize female gender in the name of feminism.

Its especially annoying when majority of Star Wars fans are male and the she had the nerve to rub it in their face with this cringeworthy moment.

ZvPEFCj.jpg
Wow that really is cringey... Great way to ruin good characters like Rey for men...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Can you blame them?

ZvPEFCj.jpg

Men are so fragile. Can't seem to stand seeing women be good in anything.

Jon Neu

Banned

We have seen women portrayed as being good in everything since decades ago, from Leia, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo, Super Girl, Mulan to Lara Croft, Samus, Joanna Dark, Heather Mason, Faith Connors, Chun-li, etc...

And nobody cared because they were genuine characters, not political statements being shoved down your throat. Which is what people dislike, not the fact that some character is female, but the fact that it's just put there to remind you that you should be a feminist.

Maybe some are but growing up I liked a lot of female characters, male characters and aliens and back then I never took their genders into consideration, I just saw a good character and I like them, these days I think companies tend to focus more on pondering first than actually creating a great character..and you know what I can't say I blame them since its profitable. As someone who studied and have worked in marketing I understand the mechanism all too well and that's why I am not sold that these execs are making these moves because they actually care.

OH-MyCar

I'd happily trade Kathleen Kennedy for some Kathryn Bigelow Star Wars films under better leadership. Katie Lucas can even write all of the scripts, because that Nightsisters arc from the Clone Wars was some ballin, A-grade Star Wars.

Will be the first Star Wars movie that I didn’t see on opening weekend and I have to attribute that to the The Last Jedi being garbage.

I’m going to see it sometime but not sure when.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We have seen women portrayed as being good in everything since decades ago, from Leia, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Beatrix Kiddo, Super Girl, Mulan to Lara Croft, Samus, Joanna Dark, Heather Mason, Faith Connors, Chun-li, etc...

And nobody cared because they were genuine characters, not political statements being shoved down your throat. Which is what people dislike, not the fact that some character is female, but the fact that it's just put there to remind you that you should be a feminist.

Is she though? Rey has not been as well written as I'd like. I agree with many here and elsewhere. Personally, I blame Ep. 8 for that. In Ep 7, there was at least some mystery. A mystery to be revealed later. But that's okay. But I think you guys are going too far with the "political statements being shoved down your throat" stuff.

Top Bottom