• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I, somewhat, believe in Warcraft making a decent amount at the box office. China is gonna carry the movie.

They have Geoff Johns now so there not scared shitless just yet. I don't know how much control he'll have in steering their ship but for their best interest he better be in 100% full control. If Wonder Woman bombs someone at WB is gonna die.

Folks should be worried that DC's answer to everything is Geoff Johns, dude is going to burn out handling comics, movies, and tv.

The Beard

Every few days I search google for "Angry Birds Movie Sequel" and nothing has even been hinted at. The movie has made back much more than its budget so it's only a matter of time now right? C'monnnn

Dude, it's only been out for 2 weeks! Why would they announce a sequel already? It cost $75 mil to make and they spent $100+ mil on marketing. They haven't even pulled a profit yet. Sequel? What?

It has one more week to get in the black, because once Finding Dory comes out, it's dead.

My SO was trying to get me to watch Me Before You with her, but thankfully she said it's fine if we watch it once it comes out for rent since it's not really a movie worth the theater.

Dodged a bullet? Or delaying the inevitable?

I'm jk she watches all my garbage movies with me like BvS so I'd do anything for her

I saw it with the wife. Was definitely better than most movies of its genre. Not a masterpiece but I didn't suffer through it like expected.

Plus I am going to make her watch Warcraft which will probably be worse lol.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Folks should be worried that DC's answer to everything is Geoff Johns, dude is going to burn out handling comics, movies, and tv.

They SHOULD be worried that Johns input on Green Lantern likely contributed to how bad that movie was.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The marketing budget eclipses how much the movie cost to make. I don't think there close to making it back.

No the market budget is tied in like how Minions was tied in
Do you really think $500 million was spent on Minions advertising
See here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...million-publicity-spree-points-to-film-profit

Its a partnership

Most companies come to you and want to partner up and pay on your behalf to advertise for you
So Angry Birds might put in 10-20% advertising total, the rest covered by partners, cause they want to sell their stuff emblazoned with your stuff

kswiston

Pirates 5 is going to make a lot of money. The only question is how much did Disney spend making it considering how much the fourth cost.

Rumor is that it's massively over-budget. The last two cost over $300M each. This one is unlikely to be cheaper.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Rumor is that it's massively over-budget. The last two cost over $300M each. This one is unlikely to be cheaper.

Aren't they getting massive tax breaks in Australia for them shooting Pirates down there

I remember reading, hearing, or watching where Australia gave ridiculous breaks for "job creation" and keeping Pirates to film there

IIRC, Australia also invested money into the project also
So if movie bombs they are left holding the bag
It was like Gods of Egypt-lite setup

Hopefully this one actually looks like it cost that much then with the new director Kon Tiki Hemlers or whatever their name is. Last movie was so awful. Huge step down from the verbinski stuff visually and action-wise

Realyst

Theater chains are going to have to readjust their prices. People are starting to become really choosy about what movies they are going to see in a given year. Because of that, so many movies either break records, or become total bombs.

SFenton

Popstar was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time, super recommend it. Taking another group to see it today.

Oersted

Theater chains are going to have to readjust their prices. People are starting to become really choosy about what movies they are going to see in a given year. Because of that, so many movies either break records, or become total bombs.

That is why they can't really readjust their prices. The big 6 dominate with up to 90% the market completely and especially cooperations like Disney use that power to dictate prices.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now give me a Zootopia sequel and/or TV series, Disney. That world is way too good and large to leave as a one-off.

That won't happen. Theater chains only get a very small cut on every ticket sold. They have to look elsewhere to make good profits.

That's why candy at the concession stand costs $4.50.

TMNT 2 was good especially if you loved the old 80s/90s cartoon it definitely did them a service. Nail Beebop, Rocksteady and Krang's personalities well.

He's taking a break from comics though. And prolly doesn't handle much of TV either. For the time being it's movies for him. And even then the entire burden isn't on him like it is for Feige.

kswiston

I am going to do a rundown on the domestic reception of sequels to bigger films ($100M+ domestic) in recent years, since that seems to be a common topic in the world of box office during the past few months.

Should I include reboots and years late sequels (Jurassic World, The Force Awakens, etc), or would it be better to leave them out?

BumRush

I am going to do a rundown on the domestic reception of sequels to bigger films ($100M+ domestic) in recent years, since that seems to be a common topic in the world of box office during the past few months.

Should I include reboots and years late sequels (Jurassic World, The Force Awakens, etc), or would it be better to leave them out?

Can you separate them. Itd be interesting to see if the reboots are blowing the sequels away.

mreddie

CW introduced the new Spidey who has been received with positive reviews. Audiences now know of Black Panther who also seems to have been welcomed with open arms. Ant-Man watched his stock soar as he stole the show in his scenes (good for the sequel).

Disney is happy.

Ant-Man's own film got a good run post CW and now that Wasp is coming in, should level out with the "WHY WASN'T HOPE THE HERO" thing.

Also, Black Panther got the needed push.

kunonabi

TMNT 2 was good especially if you loved the old 80s/90s cartoon it definitely did them a service. Nail Beebop, Rocksteady and Krang's personalities well.

This is why I really want to give the sequel a chance but I just hate everything they've done with the turtles and April.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The trailers for Popstar over here were abysmal, totally put me off, that and I dont like Samberg.

Is Warcraft going to bomb?

Son Of D

Dude, it's only been out for 2 weeks! Why would they announce a sequel already? It cost $75 mil to make and they spent $100+ mil on marketing. They haven't even pulled a profit yet. Sequel? What?

It has one more week to get in the black, because once Finding Dory comes out, it's dead.

Considering that some movies get sequels announced almost immediately after release 2 weeks does feel long.

However those movies usually gross much more money than Angry Birds did.

Alrus

I think Pirates 5 will be the last Pirates film for a long while. These movies cost an enormous amount of money and all their attempt at making them cheaper seem to fail. And they don't really need that franchise anymore as they'll be having a steady stream of guaranteed successes for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom