• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman goes 24 hours without spending any money. So proud she writes an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Damn poor gaf is bitter. $80/day in NYC actually seems pretty reasonable. I love to cook but bringing leftovers to work is a chore, The stuff I like to eat doesn't keep well either. Fresh food is better. Poor sods with thier "healthy choice" microwave lunches depress me. I like going out and spending $5-10 for lunch. At home I'll make something or order something that usually ends up being $30 (for me and the wife). Add in smokes, gas and parking and I am almost at her total in "flyover country".

As for her "revalation" yes it's obvious to most people but some just enjoy the lifestyle of not having to cook/drive/walk/plan thier day away. It's more expensive but once you start making real money your time is more valuable then a cabbie/barrista/pasta chef. The entire point of money and modern society is that it allows us to trade time in a common currency. My time is worth $125/hour. I can spend an hour cooking or pay someone $30 to do it for me. What makes more sense?

Acumulating money is for idiots. All you are doing is buying time that in the end you can't use. Spend wisely and enjoy your life.

You people critize her wastefullness but forget where your cash comes from. You hate her lifestyle but you depend on it. I'll bet you'll all say duh! when she realizes she can fire half her staff and save a ton! Or was that frivolous spending too?

And a lol to people saying VIP politicains take the tube in my country! They do that so you feel like they understand/relate to you. Politicians do that here too. Everything they do is calculated to make you like them...

Atrus

Gold Member
Flo_Evans said:
Acumulating money is for idiots.

Typical gutter trash talk. It's people with this kind of attitude that people live on debt and credit, and pad the pockets of banks with hundreds of thousands of dollars on interest on mortgages.

Given that I make more than the average Canadian family, I'd have to say I'm probably on the upper end of the income scale on GAF but that still doesn't mean I don't make my own lunches out of the lowest priced equilibrium of price, time value and nutrition, that I don't take public transit because it is economically cheaper though involves me walking to and from the train, that I still take a look at the price tag even though it's unneccesary, or that I don't unnecessarily buy things that have no value to me beyond being 'stuff'.

I do however have the opportunity to see all of the trashbaggers that live off of the mantra that's quoted, and 99% of them live beyond their means or spend everything so that they cannot ever retire, or have enough money saved up to pay for the expensive medical procedures they never expected.

Instead of telling what people that would benefit them the most, you come in here pretending your hourly wage is meaningful and lording some extremely bad advice because you're living 'in the moment', yet like everyone whose finances I get to see, from average income earners to billionaires, there's always something seriously fucked up about their personal finances or lifestyle.

A sudden accident and their 'hourly wage' is gone and soon after it their family, or a sudden downturn in the economy and they're wracked with debt, or ignorant people who securitize loans they can't pay off with 3-4x the value in assets. More money is meaningless in the hands of most people, they usually piss it all away on stupid things like 'smokes' or pointless and immaterial distractions so that no matter how much they make, they're on the same economic satisfaction level (or worse) as someone who worked and earned less.

Rich!

I spend a good £20 a day (travel, food) and can manage fine.

If I want to save up for something expensive, I limit myself to a fiver or just not anything at all. And if I've got a few days off, I'm not going to go out my way to spend money when I can just stay at home or go out somewhere for free.

I'd never get any kind of allowance or credit card either - the only debt to my name are my university fees, which are unavoidable. Once I've paid that off (I'll limit myself next year and try and put as much as I can towards it), I'll start saving up for a deposit on a house/flat for me and my girlfriend, and work my way up from there.

Flo_Evans

Atrus said:
Typical gutter trash talk. It's people with this kind of attitude that people live on debt and credit, and pad the pockets of banks with hundreds of thousands of dollars on interest on mortgages.

Given that I make more than the average Canadian family, I'd have to say I'm probably on the upper end of the income scale on GAF but that still doesn't mean I don't make my own lunches out of the lowest priced equilibrium of price, time value and nutrition, that I don't take public transit because it is economically cheaper though involves me walking to and from the train, that I still take a look at the price tag even though it's unneccesary, or that I don't unnecessarily buy things that have no value to me beyond being 'stuff'.

I do however have the opportunity to see all of the trashbaggers that live off of the mantra that's quoted, and 99% of them live beyond their means or spend everything so that they cannot ever retire, or have enough money saved up to pay for the expensive medical procedures they never expected.

Instead of telling what people that would benefit them the most, you come in here pretending your hourly wage is meaningful and lording some extremely bad advice because you're living 'in the moment', yet like everyone whose finances I get to see, from average income earners to billionaires, there's always something seriously fucked up about their personal finances or lifestyle.

A sudden accident and their 'hourly wage' is gone and soon after it their family, or a sudden downturn in the economy and they're wracked with debt, or ignorant people who securitize loans they can't pay off with 3-4x the value in assets. More money is meaningless in the hands of most people, they usually piss it all away on stupid things like 'smokes' or pointless and immaterial distractions so that no matter how much they make, they're on the same economic satisfaction level (or worse) as someone who worked and earned less.
I'd post my bank account(s) but people would accuse me of bragging.

I'd rather spend and have a small savings than worry about every dime. I am not talking about going into debt, this woman is able to afford certain luxuries why shouldn't she? Society would break down and lots of people would starve if we all had to hunt an farm for our meals.

Oh look another banker saying to give them your money! They are so smart! They never lose money or collapse! You can find waste in my spending? Wow I listed most of it in my post! You sure are smart guy, here take all my money and watch it for me while I make pb&j sandwiches!

You have a diffrent perception of money. To me money is for exchanging, for you it is accumulating. Who enjoys thier money/time more?

Future

$80 a day is nuts. I feel guilty on $10 a day on lunch...that shit is $200 a month just cuz I am lazy. But $80 a day....$1600 a month counting just weekday work expenses. Insanity

Dead Man

Flo_Evans said:
Damn poor gaf is bitter. $80/day in NYC actually seems pretty reasonable. I love to cook but bringing leftovers to work is a chore, The stuff I like to eat doesn't keep well either. Fresh food is better. Poor sods with thier "healthy choice" microwave lunches depress me. I like going out and spending $5-10 for lunch. At home I'll make something or order something that usually ends up being $30 (for me and the wife). Add in smokes, gas and parking and I am almost at her total in "flyover country".

As for her "revalation" yes it's obvious to most people but some just enjoy the lifestyle of not having to cook/drive/walk/plan thier day away. It's more expensive but once you start making real money your time is more valuable then a cabbie/barrista/pasta chef. The entire point of money and modern society is that it allows us to trade time in a common currency. My time is worth $125/hour. I can spend an hour cooking or pay someone $30 to do it for me. What makes more sense?

Acumulating money is for idiots. All you are doing is buying time that in the end you can't use. Spend wisely and enjoy your life.

You people critize her wastefullness but forget where your cash comes from. You hate her lifestyle but you depend on it. I'll bet you'll all say duh! when she realizes she can fire half her staff and save a ton! Or was that frivolous spending too?

And a lol to people saying VIP politicains take the tube in my country! They do that so you feel like they understand/relate to you. Politicians do that here too. Everything they do is calculated to make you like them...
Aaaaand... you've missed the point of the thread completely. Well done.

SmokyDave

CloverCarr said:
Hardly.

There's about a 50% chance of having to spend half an hour either: sitting next to someone who smells or listening to teenagers playing their "music" out of their phones at full tinny blast.

Then there's about a 30% chance of accidentally giving a fellow passenger a lapdance when I stand up to get off the bus and it lurches at full speed round a corner.

I'd just much rather pay an extra couple of quid to avoid it, especially first thing in the morning.
I need to catch the bus more ;)

Flo_Evans

idahoblue said:
Aaaaand... you've missed the point of the thread completely. Well done.

Care to explain it? I didn't get a fancy economics degree spewing back bullshit that the financial masters of the universe taught me.

Was the point to bitch at a woman for supporting the economy, providing jobs with her frivolous spending? Was it to all laugh at her basic homemaking skills? Get back in the kitchen and stop making more money than me right? Please explain the point of the thread and how my posts are off topic.

Xapati

Flo_Evans said:
Care to explain it? I didn't get a fancy economics degree spewing back bullshit that the financial masters of the universe taught me.

Was the point to bitch at a woman for supporting the economy, providing jobs with her frivolous spending? Was it to all laugh at her basic homemaking skills? Get back in the kitchen and stop making more money than me right? Please explain the point of the thread and how my posts are off topic.

People weren't annoyed by the fact that she spends money, but the fact that she describes a situation that many less well off people go through often as some kind of heroic achievement. It makes her come across as arrogant and out of touch with what the average citizen deals with.

Flo_Evans

Xapati said:
People weren't annoyed by the fact that she spends money, but the fact that she describes a situation that many less well off people go through often as some kind of heroic achievement. It makes her come across as arrogant and out of touch with what the average citizen deals with.

pretty sure I addressed that...

Now I know my hourly rate is meaningless? How so in a discussion about time and money I fail to see.

She is doing nothing special but obviously there are people out there like her that don't realize how much they spend a day on crap. If they can afford it or not is a whole other ballgame.

ToxicAdam

Flo_Evans said:
I love to cook but bringing leftovers to work is a chore

:lol :lol

Oh, the agony and pain of throwing a few disposable plastic containers in a bag and bringing it ALL THE WAY INTO WORK. So hard.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
oh man, can't wait to get my hands on some of this real money...

MaxSteel

Xapati said:

but it was a post on HuffPo - that's not targeted at the "average citizen." what she wrote wasn't THAT ridiculous for that audience.

MaxSteel

ToxicAdam said:

Oh, the agony and pain of throwing a few disposable plastic containers in a bag and bringing it ALL THE WAY INTO WORK. So hard.

HighHorse.jpg

Rekwest

mAcOdIn said:
Hahaha, man, I've gone weeks without spending any money, although I wouldn't call it liberating or anything, more like ravishing.

Hmm, what would it even be like to spend around 80 dollars a day on frivolous shit? Jesus, just looking it up, assuming she were to spend that amount 5 days a week, she spends more on coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner than I make in a whole month.

I should shoot her an email to come live with me for a week, with my life lessons and her income she could be a billionaire in no time.

Go for ti do it man!!

J-Rod

I just make a sandwich and bring some fruit, granola, chips, or whatever. Takes less than 5 minutes. I can afford to eat lunch out everyday, but I'd rather just spend it more wisely.

ronito

Flo_Evans said:
Now I know my hourly rate is meaningless? How so in a discussion about time and money I fail to see.
Oh I remember my early days of consulting. I thought nothing could stop me and my bill rate. Of course, the problem is that your whole argument falls apart unless someone's willing to let you bill 24 hours a day. Cause if they're not, which I'm betting they're not. Then how you get to work is YOUR time and ergo not billable. So the whole "Well I bill $120/hr so if I save 30 minutes on commuting I just saved myself $60!" Yeah unless someone was willing to pay you for said 30 minutes it doesn't hold up.

jamesinclair said:
This woman spends $80 a day?

WTF?

And she lives a mile from work and she takes a CAB every day? (20 minute walk = 1 mile). So now she discovered she can walk. Wow. Nobody tell her about bicycles, it might blow her mind.
oh shit :lol

levious

MaxSteel said:

making fun of someone who claims that packing leftovers (which is sort of like serving a plate of food) is a chore is not really outlandish.

Google

ToxicAdam said:

It's a chore to pack, carry, heat up, bring home, and wash, yes.

Not as big of a chore as handwashing your hardwood floors, but certainly annoying that spending $10 on a lunch is a more appealing situation.

levious

Google said:

Not as big of a chore as handwashing your hardwood floors, but certainly annoying that spending $10 on a lunch is a more appealing situation.

my god, by this logic you should be buying new clothes every day...

ToxicAdam

Google said:

For a guy who claims to "love to cook" this is NOT a chore. He is physically creating food almost every night, but putting the leftovers in little plastic containers to heat up in a microwave is too hard to do?

levious said:

If you could buy a new outfit for $10 or less.

Not to mention that many folks do send their laundry out for cleaning. I know I sure as hell don't want to spend 30-45 minutes a week ironing my dress shirts.

Google

ToxicAdam said:
For a guy who claims to "love to cook" this is NOT a chore. He is physically creating food almost every night, but putting the leftovers in little plastic containers to heat up in a microwave is too hard to do?

You seem to not understand that cooking and eating hot food is not the same as warming up day old food in a microwave at work, when a tasty fresh meal is minutes away for less than $10.

Explain yourself, because this makes absolutely no sense.

Not to mention that many folks do send their laundry out for cleaning. I know I sure as hell don't want to spend 30-45 minutes a week ironing my dress shirts.

Yeah, I'll spend $6 a week getting my dress shirts cleaned and pressed ready for the week.

levious

but then you'd have to go to the cleaners, and they have lines

Google said:
Explain yourself, because this makes absolutely no sense.

oh sure, what I said makes no sense, but you, what you said, sure, perfect sense... having to carry a sort of container, and possibly wash it at some point, impossible.

Google

levious said:
but then you'd have to go to the cleaners, and they have lines

I usually do it on the way to get the Jag cleaned.

oh sure, what I said makes no sense, but you, what you said, sure, perfect sense... having to carry a sort of container, and possibly wash it at some point, impossible.

I didnt say carrying a container was impossible - simply that it was preferable to spend $10 on tastier, more enjoyable food.

Your clothes anology is ridiculous because you're not bringing extra clothes to work everyday (unless you're going to the gym or out afterwards).

I have to be honest and say I've spent $80 on gym clothes when I've left mine at home...but hey ho.

SmokyDave said:
I really want to rage at this woman being utterly oblivious to how the rest of us live but then I look at her and go all googly-woogly. Curse my weakness for hot blondes.

She is out of touch though. Bless her.

I'm conflicted.

this

MaxSteel

ToxicAdam said:
So, you think packing leftovers is a chore? Why not have mommy still do it for you?

hmmm... because i think cooking is a chore, so i don't have leftovers.

and it's not packing leftovers - you have to pack it, bring a separate bag to work to carry it in, take it home, clean it with no dishwasher - yes, that is a chore to me. to you it isn't. great.

levious

well if you don't have a dishwasher that's a bit more understandable, but hand washing a couple of dishes? Not really a big deal.

Flo_Evans

ronito said:
Oh I remember my early days of consulting. I thought nothing could stop me and my bill rate. Of course, the problem is that your whole argument falls apart unless someone's willing to let you bill 24 hours a day. Cause if they're not, which I'm betting they're not. Then how you get to work is YOUR time and ergo not billable. So the whole "Well I bill $120/hr so if I save 30 minutes on commuting I just saved myself $60!" Yeah unless someone was willing to pay you for said 30 minutes it doesn't hold up.

I am turning people away. I have work for the rest of the year do you? I could work 24/7 if I wanted to. But I hire other people to do that for me.

ToxicAdam said:

I leave the leftovers at home to put in the next meal. I am not wasting shit. It's not hard but I prefer to take clients out to lunch, try different stuff. What is so hard to understand? I can expense 50% of my work meals.

levious

Flo_Evans said:
I prefer to take clients out to lunch, try different stuff. What is so hard to understand? I can expense 50% of my work meals.

two points that you should have mentioned to start, as that greatly changes the scenario

Cyan

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
I am turning people away. I have work for the rest of the year do you? I could work 24/7 if I wanted to. But I hire other people to do that for me.
I hope you're not billing your GAF time. :p

Look Flo, there's nothing inherently wrong with spending your money as you see fit. I mean, as long as you're doing it mindfully ($80/day = $400/wk = $20,800/yr), if it's worth it to you to order out all the time and take taxis everywhere and so on, more power to you.

The real problem with the article here isn't that she spent money to begin with (although I can't speak for everyone; some people clearly have a problem with that), the problem is her attitude. "OMG you guys, it's actually possible to act like a dirty poor for a day without dying!"

She's supposed to be a personal finance expert, and yet she acts like it's an enormous revelation that you don't actually have to spend $30+ to have a reasonable dinner.

It's patronizing and insulting.

Flo_Evans

levious said:
two points that you should have mentioned to start, as that greatly changes the scenario

I thought that much was obvious. I enjoy food and cooking but I don't claim to be an expert on every style. There are lots of Asian places around that make great stuff. I want to learn to cook it more but the wife prefers meat and potatoes. So I go out to eat with others that enjoy the food.

Flo_Evans

Cyan said:
I hope you're not billing your GAF time. :p

Look Flo, there's nothing inherently wrong with spending your money as you see fit. I mean, as long as you're doing it mindfully ($80/day = $400/wk = $20,800/yr), if it's worth it to you to order out all the time and take taxis everywhere and so on, more power to you.

The real problem with the article here isn't that she spent money to begin with (although I can't speak for everyone; some people clearly have a problem with that), the problem is her attitude. "OMG you guys, it's actually possible to act like a dirty poor for a day without dying!"

She's supposed to be a personal finance expert, and yet she acts like it's an enormous revelation that you don't actually have to spend $30+ to have a reasonable dinner.

It's patronizing and insulting.

I'm rendering a movie right now so yes this is billable. :D

Yes the article is stupid, not disputing that. We can say how stupid the article is or talk about our daily expenses. What do you prefer?

ToxicAdam

Google said:
You seem to not understand that cooking and eating hot food is not the same as warming up day old food in a microwave at work, when a tasty fresh meal is minutes away for less than $10.

You're right, some foods do not taste good the next day. But many can actually taste better the next day (pasta dishes, casseroles and seasoned vegetables).

Flo_Evans said:
I leave the leftovers at home to put in the next meal. I am not wasting shit. It's not hard but I prefer to take clients out to lunch, try different stuff. What is so hard to understand? I can expense 50% of my work meals.

Hard to understand when you don't mention this in your original rant. It's quite a leap you've just made.

levious

Flo_Evans said:
I thought that much was obvious. I enjoy food and cooking but I don't claim to be an expert on every style. There are lots of Asian places around that make great stuff. I want to learn to cook it more but the wife prefers meat and potatoes. So I go out to eat with others that enjoy the food.

that you regularly take clients out to lunch and you can expense half of it? Not sure how that'd be obvious, maybe I missed an earlier post.

Flo_Evans

levious said:
that you regularly take clients out to lunch and you can expense half of it? Not sure how that'd be obvious, maybe I missed an earlier post.

I can expense the whole thing but since I own the company only 50% is a tax write off.

levious said:

This is pretty much a given in consulting...

When I have to travel, I usually treat myself to $30 meals for dinner on a nightly basis :lol

Ulairi

Banned
Alexa von Tobel said:
There were four morning spending hurdles that I had to tackle: the commute to work, my morning coffee, breakfast, and lunch.

She's also a horrible writer. If you don't understand the metaphor then you shouldn't be using it.

levious

Google said:
You're not aware that most who work in sales/consulting will regularly expense their meals?

I didn't know what he did for a living, all I saw was an hourly rate mentioned, he could have been a lawyer, and I would not assume that all lawyers take clients out regularly or could expense their everyday meals.

levious said:
I didn't know what he did for a living, all I saw was an hourly rate mentioned, he could have been a lawyer, and I would not assume that all lawyers take clients out regularly or could expense their everyday meals.

No, a lawyer would take the client out for a meal and then expense the client for the meal.

levious

CharlieDigital said:
No, a lawyer would take the client out for a meal and then expense the client for the meal.

a given, yeah, but doesn't really change the fact that regular non-expensed meals are still the norm for many lawyers. Not all of us get to wine and dine clients. Most of our clients we never see face to face in my industry.

Flo_Evans

Korey said:
What the fuck? Grats on missing the point completely and shitting up this thread, to brag about how much you spend.
Not bragging at all. There are plenty of gaffers that make way more than I do. Just telling you some basic facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom