• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's US Chess Champ boycotting World Championship in Iran because of forced Hijabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37559853/the-22-year-old-chess-star-boycotting-iran-world-championships-over-hijab

Nazi Paikidze-Barnes, a 22-year-old champion chess player, is boycotting next year's World Chess Championship competition in Iran.

"I think it's unacceptable to host a women's World Championship in a place where women do not have basic fundamental rights and are treated as second-class citizens," she says.

In Iran women are legally required to wear a hijab or headscarf.

Nazi says she will not wear the hijab and "support oppression".

She has started a petition, asking organisers to either change the location of the 2017 event or to make it optional for women to cover their heads.

FIDE, the world chess federation, says Iran "was the only country which made a proposal to host the event" and that no other member nations made any objections.

"There were no complaints from the players or officials and everybody respected the laws of the country, including the dress requirements," says FIDE's its official statement.

Not every player agrees with the boycott, with some saying it could be damaging to efforts to promote women's sport in Iran.

Mitra Hejazipour, a 23-year-old woman grandmaster (WGM) from Tehran, told the Guardian: "This is going to be the biggest sporting event women in Iran have ever seen; we haven't been able to host any world championship in other sporting fields for women in the past.

"It's not right to call for a boycott. These games are important for women in Iran; it's an opportunity for us to show our strength."

Since talking about her plans to boycott the event, Nazi has faced criticism claiming that she doesn't understand Islamic culture and Iranian society.

"I am not anti-Islam or any other religion. I stand for freedom of religion and choice," she says.

"I'm protesting FIDE's decision not because of Iran's religion or people, but for the government's laws that are restricting my rights as a woman."

As an aside, that first name is unfortunate.

Also no one else wanted to host it? That's really sad.

BlazinAm

Omg that first name. How does that happen?

On topic: Both Barnes and Hejazipour make good points but I think the political situation going on in the middle east might be a bigger factor in the possibility of the movement of the championship.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The idea that refusing to wear a culturally intolerant garment insisted upon by a bunch of angry old misogynists, is itself culturally intolerant is circular.

I heard this story a week ago. I bet it hasn't gained much traction or attention, well besides being about chess, is that no one wants to give much reporting space to someone named Nazi.

I don't care how it's pronounced or what culture you come from, you should damn well know what those four letters together in that sequence mean.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I can see both sides of the debate, however I really just blame Islam's disgusting misogynistic practices.

I don't care how it's pronounced or what culture you come from, you should damn well know what those four letters together in that sequence mean.

Her first name, Nazí, is a Georgian name and is not uncommon there. It is pronounced, she explains, “nah-ZEE”. It means “delicate” or “tender”. She was named after her grandmother.

[wikipedia]

SG-17 DOESN'T CARE!!!!!!!! Never mind the official abbreviation for the party is NSDAP and "Nazi" is an English language colloquialism.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This is going to be the biggest sporting event women in Iran have ever seen; we haven't been able to host any world championship in other sporting fields for women in the past.

They couldn't host the Uno championships?

jchap

The way FIDE operates the Women's World Championship is ridiculous anyway. Instead of match format they have a double knockout tournament so they can strip Hou Yifan of her title every other year. Then she gets to have a match as a mandatory "challenger" against an opponent rated a few hundred points below her.

FIDE's excuse is that no one cares about women's chess and they cant find sponsors so a fluky knockout tournament is more entertaining. I'm sure Yifan is a year or two away from forgetting about playing women's events and going the Judit route where she only plays in high level events with the men.

Glix

Wait.

Why is there even a gender separation in Chess???????

That doesn't even make a lick of fucking sense.

Edit - Crocmother beat me. He must be angry having all dem teeth and no toothbrush.

Xe4

Banned
I'm struggling to understand why chess is segregated by gender in the first place

Wait.

Why is there even a gender separation in Chess???????

That doesn't even make a lick of fucking sense.

Edit - Crocmother beat me. He must be angry having all dem teeth and no toothbrush.
LOL exactly. That there is a womens chess at all is rediculous.

JP_

Banned
I'm struggling to understand why chess is segregated by gender in the first place
It gets more women into the sport. Women can still compete in the main league.

Unlike with most sports recognized by the International Olympic Committee, where competition is either "mixed" (containing everyone) or split into men and women,[1] in chess women are both allowed to compete in the "open" division (including the World Chess Championship) yet also have a separate Women's Championship (only open to females).[2] Notably however, the top-rated female player for over 20 years (with the highest FIDE rating in history of any woman), Judit Polgár, has never competed for the women's title.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

More men play chess than women therefore the level of competition is unfair through brute force statistics and women would be severely disadvantaged. Separate gender tournaments allow and encourage growth and could lead to parity eventually.

Glix

More men play chess than women therefore the level of competition is unfair through brute force statistics and women would be severely disadvantaged. Separate gender tournaments allow and encourage growth and could lead to parity eventually.

That still doesn't make sense. Have women compete in the skill bracket where they belong. Case closed.

There already is parity. Just because more men play, it does not give them any sort of advantage.

IISANDERII

This is how they broadcast women's diving for Persians.

ZWHQnlH.gif

Derwind

I can understand both points made in the article and while it is a shame there aren't really any women's sports tournaments in Iran, this type of behaviour doesn't belong in the global stage.

Hijab should be optional for people who want to practice their personal faith and not be something enforced and written in law.

One of life's great mysteries.

JP_

Banned
That still doesn't make sense. Have women compete in the skill bracket where they belong. Case closed.

There already is parity. Just because more men play, it does not give them any sort of advantage.
Women can and do already compete in the open division with men. It didn't attract many women -- this is a solution to that and it works.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Glix

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

So, to be clear, you are saying that men have an advantage over women when playing chess because they are men?

Or you just aren't sure exactly about the term parity?

Because I'm still not getting it.

JP_

Banned
So, to be clear, you are saying that men have an advantage over women when playing chess because they are men?

I mean, I already explained it so...

It gets more women into the sport. Women can still compete in the main league.

Unlike with most sports recognized by the International Olympic Committee, where competition is either "mixed" (containing everyone) or split into men and women,[1] in chess women are both allowed to compete in the "open" division (including the World Chess Championship) yet also have a separate Women's Championship (only open to females).[2] Notably however, the top-rated female player for over 20 years (with the highest FIDE rating in history of any woman), Judit Polgár, has never competed for the women's title.

Kayhan

I heard this story a week ago. I bet it hasn't gained much traction or attention, well besides being about chess, is that no one wants to give much reporting space to someone named Nazi.

They probably do know what it means to most people but they don't think it is their problem that your mind can only hold one meaning for the word "Nazi"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

He is saying it gets more women to compete.

Derwind

Statistically speaking in numbers their is an advantage, is what I believe is being said. The likelihood of men winning the tournament is higher if the number is say 4:1 ratio in favour of men.

That I agree with.

This is not simply an assessment of strength in skill.

A name is just an easy to pronounce label for convenience. Can't you spell it closer to the pronounciation? Like Nazee.

Glix

Okay, I'm going to go with "it encourages more women to play an activity that has traditionally been male dominated". That both makes sense, and is a good thing.

But this other idea that is a gender battle is nonsense. Who cares if its 4:1 men and a man has a greater chance to win? The point is that a chess player will win, regardless of gender.

It's certainly a case where it's easy to see both sides of the argument. Boycotting bigotry is good in itself, but then on the other hand, the competition could promote women's sports in the country.

Either way though, despite knowing which side to take, it's good that she's boycotting. Gets more attention to the bigotry, and the championship also gets more attention.

Since talking about her plans to boycott the event, Nazi has faced criticism claiming that she doesn't understand Islamic culture and Iranian society.
This is just bullshit though. You really shouldn't need to be silent on bigoted parts of cultures.

Jag

This is how they broadcast women's diving for Persians.

ZWHQnlH.gif

Gotta any for beach volleyball? And doesn't the person that does the editing get to see the unedited copy? How do they protect his purity? (or whatever offense this is causing).

JP_

Banned
But this other idea that is a gender battle is nonsense. Who cares if its 4:1 men and a man has a greater chance to win? The point is that a chess player will win, regardless of gender.

....which is why women still compete in the open division. This solution is win win.

Riposte

That's almost as bad as naming your kid "Pepe" (just almost though).

I thought she was objecting to the general oppression of women in Iran, but the fact they would be required to wear headscarves is pretty absurd. Weird how "respect the culture" and "allow your rights to be taken away" are being blurred here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom