• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Khaz

using these would require you to go and check which treasure chests you have opened and I don't know if the devs have ported all the old passwords or not. I believe the port is completely faithful though.

There are many more passwords, as they code for your current status in game ;)
Here's a password generator: http://www.smspower.org/uploads/Cheats/WonderBoyIII-SMS-passwords.html
And the explanation on how it works: http://www.smspower.org/forums/12882-PasswordGeneratorForWonderBoyIIITheDragonsTrap
The autosave system works exactly like the passwords, as in they save your status but puts you back in town. Saves and passwords are completely interchangeable. (autosave is like the console writing down and inputing the password for you)

Cerium

So in the AMA, Fireblend (our Fireblend?) asked about sales and this was the response.

Thank you Fireblend!

I'll let Omar answer you, but I can answer your last question: we do not have the sales numbers yet, but we know that the Switch version was really well received.
We don't have sales number yet. I suspect that Cyrille has access to some of them (depending on platofrms, region) but he is firmly decided to not check anything until 2 weeks has passed, which is driving me crazy right now!
We don't have exact numbers yet but we have a feeling the sales will be good, based on charts numbers in the Switch eShop across many regions. So that leaves the question of what shall we do next, and we don't have an answer just yet.

Psxphile

Japan
Wonder Boy
Super Wonder Boy: Monster World
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap
(eventually)
Wonder Boy V: Monster World III
Monster World IV

North America/Europe
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World IV
(eventually)

From a certain point of view, the naming convention in Japan kinda makes sense, but the localized versions screwed it up a bit in the middle. Allowing two Wonder Boy III's was a mistake... probably explaining why they dropped the numbering scheme altogether later.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Playing this on Switch is making me realize that Hollow Knight would be so perfect on this thing too.

Cerium

Playing this on Switch is making me realize that Hollow Knight would be so perfect on this thing too.
That's on its way, I just hope it comes sooner than later.

And I agree. Hand animated games are fucking beautiful and perfect for the handheld mode.

I want Indivisible as well.

Doorman

God I feel like maybe there was some other area I was supposed to go to first, but the samurai castle is really kicking my ass. The power curve for enemy damage seems to get extremely wonky there, especially with ninjas managing to two-shot me just by flipping around. It doesn't help that every death means having to slog all the way through the underground area again first just to get to the part I need real work on.

I've been trying to poke around elsewhere to see if I can find better armor or some different dungeon to do first, but no dice. This still seems like an awfully steep jump but maybe that's just how the game was meant to play?

Psxphile

God I feel like maybe there was some other area I was supposed to go to first, but the samurai castle is really kicking my ass. The power curve for enemy damage seems to get extremely wonky there, especially with ninjas managing to two-shot me just by flipping around. It doesn't help that every death means having to slog all the way through the underground area again first just to get to the part I need real work on.

I've been trying to poke around elsewhere to see if I can find better armor or some different dungeon to do first, but no dice. This still seems like an awfully steep jump but maybe that's just how the game was meant to play?

If you're the mouse than yes, you shouldn't be there yet. Wait until you get Lion form and better equips.

AmyS

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap Developer Talks The Connection They Feel With Its Original Developers

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap was a passion project for Lizardcube’s lead programmer, Omar Cornut. The original Sega game had always held a special place in the developer’s heart, and remaking it was, in fact, one of the developer’s first development ideas. Now, almost twenty years after initially wanting to remake the game with friends, Cornut is living through the wonderful achievement of having remade such an important childhood game.

Siliconera spoke with Cornut to learn about what it felt like to explore a game that was vital to them while growing up, what it felt like to see the game as a developer, and the connections they feel with its original developers now that they’ve worked so closely with its code.

Full interview here: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/2...er-talks-connection-feel-original-developers/

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got the Switch version. Just played in one stretch til I turned into the fish monster. Loving it. Getting dumped to the hub after dying is a rude awakening though.

Is the lava section where I should be going next, or is that optional?

This game is nr 1 on the sell chart in the e-shop, nice.

Japan
Wonder Boy
Super Wonder Boy: Monster World
Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap
(eventually)
Wonder Boy V: Monster World III
Monster World IV

North America/Europe
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World IV
(eventually)
The second game's original version was still called Wonder Boy in Monster Land in Japan (and referred to as Wonder Boy 2 in the credits); it was the (awful) Master System port that was renamed to Super Wonder Boy: Monster World.

Blues1990

I would love if the same team could remake Monster World IV. More people need to play that gem!

BTW, exactly how do you transform in the game? I was the Bird Hero, but a burst of lightening had transformed me back into the dragon (I wasn't engaging a boss fight nor at the transformation shrine). Any tips?

ggx2ac

I would love if the same team could remake Monster World IV. More people need to play that gem!

BTW, exactly how do you transform in the game? I was the Bird Hero, but a burst of lightening had transformed me back into the dragon (I wasn't engaging a boss fight nor at the transformation shrine). Any tips?

You have the Tasmanian Sword equipped. It transforms you if you jump up, press up and attack.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Okay, so the Ship Wreck is the area you're supposed to clear when you have the fish form right? That comes after the mouse dungeon? Because it sure is tough. I have 5 hearts already and some decent defense, but the trolls take a chunk of damage and the area goes on forever.

edit: okay I made it through but I can't hit this boss' head, I can't jump high enough to hit him.

Cerium

I am Piranha Man and am stuck. Only place I can go is the volcano and I get my ass kicked there. Where is this ship wreck?

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
If you're the mouse than yes, you shouldn't be there yet. Wait until you get Lion form and better equips.

Wait, really? This is where I'm stuck as well, I'm the mouse and this seems like the only new area I can go. As mouse, I get rocked if I slip up in the underground pretty easily, and if I do make it to the temple, I get 1-2shotted by the ninjas and samurai. It seems like the route from village to underground is the logical next step since you need the mouse to destroy the brown blocks in the village that lead to The Underground.

Psxphile

Wait, really? This is where I'm stuck as well, I'm the mouse and this seems like the only new area I can go. As mouse, I get rocked if I slip up in the underground pretty easily, and if I do make it to the temple, I get 1-2shotted by the ninjas and samurai. It seems like the route from village to underground is the logical next step since you need the mouse to destroy the brown blocks in the village that lead to The Underground.

The Mouse form does have a purpose in the underground, but not for proceeding to the temple. Instead, keep heading left of The Village and maybe you'll recall there's somewhere else you can go. On second thought, if you have access to the underground then no doubt you've already have the Thunder Ring. Sounds like you need to change forms to continue on, thankfully there's a transformation room hidden in one of the buildings in the village you can access now that you can break blocks. Also, mouse form will give you access to a new shop inside the town's tower.

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
The Mouse form does have a purpose in the underground, but not for proceeding to the temple. Instead, keep heading left of The Village and maybe you'll recall there's somewhere else you can go. On second thought, if you have access to the underground then no doubt you've already have the Thunder Ring. Sounds like you need to change forms to continue on, thankfully there's a transformation room hidden in one of the buildings in the village you can access now that you can break blocks. Also, mouse form will give you access to a new shop inside the town's tower.

I believe you're referring to the Unknown re: having a purpose as mouse in the underground and if so, I've been there. (I hate that place but after about an hour of trial and error I was able to complete that area.)

I do have access to the Ring and I found a room in the village where I can change forms. I guess I need to keep exploring as different forms and do some backtracking. I must definitely be missing something. I swear that the underground is the only place I can go, and the only way for me to do so is as mouse, but I guess I'm overlooking something somewhere. Thanks for the guidance!

Thanks for letting me know about the tower shop, I'll have to see if I can find that tonight.

I also kept getting confused by the tip you get at the game over screen: "Confused? Visit your pig friend at the church in town" Really, though? Because all he has to offer is asking me if I've seen my lizard friend. Not helpful! :)

Psxphile

You also need mouse form to find the Magical Saber in the underground.

The Pig only gives very cryptic hints at what should be doing next, pretty sure the developers would prefer the players to find their own way. In any case, "that" particular hint seems to suggest that you need Lizard form in some way but may be outdated: It's suggesting for you to go to an area Lizard form has an advantage in. Which would be the Volcano area, because Lizard form can enter lava without being damaged (natural Dragon mail) which would be beneficial for the first leg of the journey.

But of course you've already done all this and gotten the prize: the Thunder Ring. Which should have you searching high and low for blocks to destroy all around Monster World, which will inevitable lead to a new area or two. Still, a new hint at this point would have avoided confusion rather than the opposite.

mrblonde2099

Neo Member
You also need mouse form to find the Magical Saber in the underground.

The Pig only gives very cryptic hints at what should be doing next, pretty sure the developers would prefer the players to find their own way. In any case, "that" particular hint seems to suggest that you need Lizard form in some way but may be outdated: It's suggesting for you to go to an area Lizard form has an advantage in. Which would be the Volcano area, because Lizard form can enter lava without being damaged (natural Dragon mail) which would be beneficial for the first leg of the journey.

But of course you've already done all this and gotten the prize: the Thunder Ring. Which should have you searching high and low for blocks to destroy all around Monster World, which will inevitable lead to a new area or two. Still, a new hint at this point would have avoided confusion rather than the opposite.

Very good points. I guess I need to do some better Metroidvania-ing and figure out what I'm overlooking! Thanks again! Such a great game though. I LOVE the ability to toggle the visual/audio style back and forth. I hope this is a trend that continues.

.J.

Banned
My god this is a beautiful game, and I love it.

But I'm going to stop playing it. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with some of its more frustrating parts. I'm spoiled by checkpoints, and there are parts I've just had to replay way too many times only to die toward the end, and it's too time consuming and expensive to get more healing potions for every run.

I dug my time with it, but I won't be beating it unfortunately. Shame too, because I only have one or two more animals to unlock I think. Just got the lion and that's where I'm stuck. Fucking
ninjas and shit

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My god this is a beautiful game, and I love it.

But I'm going to stop playing it. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with some of its more frustrating parts. I'm spoiled by checkpoints, and there are parts I've just had to replay way too many times only to die toward the end, and it's too time consuming and expensive to get more healing potions for every run.

I dug my time with it, but I won't be beating it unfortunately. Shame too, because I only have one or two more animals to unlock I think. Just got the lion and that's where I'm stuck. Fucking
ninjas and shit

I just did that entire section first try for some reason. Best lion equipment helps.

I'm a bird now. Love this game. It's a perfect fit for the Switch and the handheld mode. Can't get over how incredible it looks.

Eusis

how's the game? I'm debating between this and Snipper Clips right now lol
Looking to play with others? Snipper Clips would probably be better.

By yourself? This I'm almost certain. Demo didn't do TOO much for me with SC but it sounds like it's a great co-op game.

Psxphile

I still have no idea how the auto save system works. When is it triggered?

Between screen transitions, when you obtain items, when you quit to title screen. Only your status is saved, never your location. You'll always restart back in the village.
The same properties the game's original password system would save.

Where do you get the Legendary Shield? I couldn't find it in the end.

Also, what are the special properties of some of the gear you find in the world? I could guess the lucky sword makes enemies drop more gold.

Spy

I am used to beating every game on hard mode but I don't know about this one. I feel the time limit discourages exploration which appears to be a main element of the game.

Was hard mode even in the original?

me0wish

I thought that the game is ok, but the remake is simply wonderful, I can only imagine how amazing would it be if these guys worked on a MegaMan remake..

I am used to beating every game on hard mode but I don't know about this one. I feel the time limit discourages exploration which appears to be a main element of the game.

I wouldn't recommend hard mode because it discourages exploration, and then I wouldn't recommend normal because hard was too easy.

If I've played on normal on my first play through, I'd probably finish the game in less than 3 hours.

Psxphile

Nope. And Hard mode really seems to be meant for those who are already familiar with the game. I wouldn't recommend it for a first run.

Top Bottom