• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy Killzone 2 & 3 Remastered for PS4?

delta25

Banned
Being that I'm a huge fan of the series, yes,even shadowfall. I would love for 2/3 to get the remastered treatment.

th4tguy

I played 2 and thought it was ok. I never played 3 so I would be interested. Especially if they updated the controls.

I loved how 2 looked and managed a bit of MP but it just played so bad. That they retro fitted the bad controls with an 'encumberance' logic, and better yet nonsense flew around the net about it being due to the gravity of the sodding planet is a level of excusive 'lore' to rival Mortal Kombat's plot.

It just played badly. It aimed slowly (slow movement speed I can handle and in fact I quite often pick 'heavies' in games, but not in the arms, especially given that a gun is realistically barely double figures in lbs of weight), the aiming acceleration was off and R3 to ADS was done by that point. Not to mention the gun placement on the screen gave a wacky perspective for being too high up and too zoomed in, and aiming after turning was cumbersome. The button combo required to ADS/shoot from cover was absolute nonsense. It also was born of that ridiculous brat pack of games wherein guns unrealistically swaying, jitterng, practically dancing in your hands whilst walking made things even worse. Prime example being the shotgun which is the worst gun that can happen to.

TL;DR - For how it looked, absolutely, but they'd need to otherwise gut it and make it a standard shooter. They're standard for a reason. And no, it has less to do with Call Of Duty but rather Doom and a crapload of other games before and since.

I don't think gun to ADS was that slow at all, way more realistic than any other FPS. In most games it feels like an instantaneous snap, which it shouldn't be. It also made hip fire in desperate times viable, and extremely limited, so you'd get people actually walking into scenario's already aiming down the sights, as opposed to run around like a maniac and just snap shot.

R3 to aim is crap, I agree, but alternate 2 was where the control scheme was best played in my opinion.

Dizzy

Banned
If they fixed the controls in Killzone 2 then yes. Otherwise no.

I enjoyed Killzone 3. It was a bit short and felt scaled back compared to 2 but it was good. I platinumed the game shortly after release.

I really wanted to like 2 but I just couldn't aim in the game. The hardest difficulty was pointless to me because by the time I had struggled tonget mt crosshairs on an enemy he had already shot me dead.

So yeah I'd love to play KZ2 properly. Not as fussed about 3 just because I played the hell out of the game years back. The online was great though.

So many people describe the controls in killzone 2 as if they were in a tv infomercial. I can just see their hands spazzing out all over the place, the cursor is just flying off the screen, their reality is black and white of course, they're sad and weeping with a huge frown on their face.

I barely played any first person shooters on the PS2, it was not a genre I spent much time with. I hopped onto killzone 2 after playing resistance, and had absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I've yet to run into a FPS game that's literally unplayable. Your mind will do a wonderful job of compensation, and you'll get the timing down for everything with very little practice.

So many people describe the controls in killzone 2 as if they were in a tv infomercial. I can just see their hands spazzing out all over the place, the cursor is just flying off the screen, their reality is black and white of course, they're sad and weeping with a huge frown on their face.

This is not far from the truth though. Killzone 2 is one of the highest latency games of last gen (or any other), combined with a huge dead zone and a stupid acceleration/deceleration curve means that even something as simple as trying to aim is a constant game of second guessing, correcting, and over correcting while you wait for your on screen gun to be influenced by what you did on your controller.

It's a complete embarrassment as a retail product.

yurinka

I'd buy a Killzone MCC which would include remastered 1080p/60fps versions of:
  • Killzone
  • Killzone 2
  • Killzone 3
  • Killzone Mercenary
  • Killzone Liberation
  • Several extras including making of documentaries with interviews and concept art

I wouldn't be interesting to get them separated

Cornbread78

I'd buy a Killzone MCC which would include remastered 1080p/60fps versions of:
  • Killzone
  • Killzone 2
  • Killzone 3
  • Killzone Mercenary
  • Killzone Liberation
  • Several extras including making of documentaries with interviews and concept art

I wouldn't be interesting to get them separated

Sounds sexy right here..

This is not far from the truth though. Killzone 2 is one of the highest latency games of last gen (or any other), combined with a huge dead zone and a stupid acceleration/deceleration curve means that even something as simple as trying to aim is a constant game of second guessing, correcting, and over correcting while you wait for your on screen gun to be influenced by what you did on your controller.

It's a complete embarrassment as a retail product.

Whatever the initial implementation was, it worked well for me. The line is comically divided regarding the feel of the controls. Plenty hate them, and plenty liked them pre adjustment. I have no idea what they did, but somehow the game felt heavier, and it was a feeling I liked, and weirdly miss. My friend played that game with the speed turned down in fact, and just killed it in the multi-player. It was the first time I realized it was my preference as well for FPS games.

Killzone 2 pre fix, with the camera speed turned down was incredibly awesome lol. Maybe I am the weird one.

No. I want to like Killzone & I've played every game in the series except the first. But the game is missing personality. The things that make the series interesting aren't highlighted enough. The series has an overall presentation problem. I feel 2 was the best one. Shadow Fall was interesting up until it's midpoint.

Now Resistance Remastered....

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want anything else of KZ3, disappointment coming from KZ2, in both SP and MP, and specially the latter. KZ2 multiplayer has been one of the best things I've ever played.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Actually I love both 2 and 3 (given it's half a game in duration) and have played them yet again in past months but no.

Porting the multiplayer onto the PS4 as a free-to-play, is another story. I'd love to play that.

No. I want to like Killzone & I've played every game in the series except the first. But the game is missing personality. The things that make the series interesting aren't highlighted enough. The series has an overall presentation problem. I feel 2 was the best one. Shadow Fall was interesting up until it's midpoint.

Now Resistance Remastered....

Killzone's biggest problem is that the cutscenes are largely forgettable. The characters are mostly pointless, and nothing particularly amazing occurs during them. When I reflect on the Killzone series, I'm always left with the following.

Amazing - A.I. Weapons and Gunplay, Visuals, Multi-player, Sound and overall presentation.

What I don't care for at all is the story and the characters. I feel like the game does a great job of reminding that it's there, and a poor job of getting you to care about it. The story keeps interrupting a great game lol.

So while I love playing the Killzone games, I never understand the point. They just play great to me, and the Multi-player is usually amazing. Move controls were absolutely wonderful. Guerrilla Games are technical wizards, the story just needs a better hook I feel. I don't know why they never though it necessary to play as the Helghasts. Getting the story from both sides might have been amazing.

2. And multiplayer. Best shooter from the last generation. Period.

Whatever the initial implementation was, it worked well for me. The line is comically divided regarding the feel of the controls. Plenty hate them, and plenty liked them pre adjustment. I have no idea what they did, but somehow the game felt heavier, and it was a feeling I liked, and weirdly miss. My friend played that game with the speed turned down in fact, and just killed it in the multi-player. It was the first time I realized it was my preference as well for FPS games.

Killzone 2 pre fix, with the camera speed turned down was incredibly awesome lol. Maybe I am the weird one.

That's because the incorporated the "dead zone" into the design which is a pretty baldy move. You'll also have to take into consideration on how the pacing is slower compared to other shooters, aiming never felt punishing because you weren't mowing down enemies from COD. Kill zone 3 tried to create a hybrid between the two extremes as a result, left without substance.

Could they kill the deadline while maintaining the "heavy" feel, absolutely but I feel Guerilla was too reactive on the negative the positive responses regarding the controls. As a result, this "catering" practically killed the brand, now regulating to the era when the franchise was first announced.

This remaster may serve to bolster that faith and allow them to design the game what they've always intended without following pop-design trends.

Hiko

Banned
I barely played any first person shooters on the PS2, it was not a genre I spent much time with. I hopped onto killzone 2 after playing resistance, and had absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I've yet to run into a FPS game that's literally unplayable. Your mind will do a wonderful job of compensation, and you'll get the timing down for everything with very little practice.

Same here. But you have to remember, people who didn't play FPS actually had it easy with KZ2. I had only played Goldeneye before and I jumped right in.

But now after playing tons of Destiny and trying KZ2, I just can't play. The controls are too different. The swaying of the screen is nauseating. The FOV is too narrow. Aiming feels weird. Basically all the things people were complaining about back then that I thought didn't make sense.

LaNaranja

Killzone's biggest problem is that the cutscenes are largely forgettable. The characters are mostly pointless, and nothing particularly amazing occurs during them. When I reflect on the Killzone series, I'm always left with the following.

Amazing - A.I. Weapons and Gunplay, Visuals, Multi-player, Sound and overall presentation.

What I don't care for at all is the story and the characters. I feel like the game does a great job of reminding that it's there, and a poor job of getting you to care about it. The story keeps interrupting a great game lol.

So while I love playing the Killzone games, I never understand the point. They just play great to me, and the Multi-player is usually amazing. Move controls were absolutely wonderful. Guerrilla Games are technical wizards, the story just needs a better hook I feel. I don't know why they never though it necessary to play as the Helghasts. Getting the story from both sides might have been amazing.

I thought that the first Killzone and the PSP one had fairly interesting stories. I wasn't able to ever really get into Killzone 2 because I didn't give a shit about that generic asshole with a mohawk. Seriously, Templar, Lugar and Hakha were all neat characters and yet they threw them all to the side for fucking Sev. For all the faults the original Killzone had I was at least interested in seeing the group through to the end. I still haven't beat Killzone 2 because I stopped caring around halfway(?) through.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why does this look better than Shadow Fall?

everytime I see a killzone 2 gif it has a CG look to it. Must be the post processing they used in killzone 2?

Excellent use of motion blur combined with a very focused artistic design that the tech was designed around flattering.

Also proper weapon positioning on screen. I'm still annoyed that it's so wonky in SF, especially when it was spot on in the reveal demo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yes, i really want a kz 2 remaster

like really bad

The internet where I went to college was pretty shitty so I never got a chance to play KZ2 online. A remaster for me would be finally getting a chance to play the legendary GAF games I heard so much about.

Killzone 2 is the greatest FPS of all time; so yes, yes I would.

The internet where I went to college was pretty shitty so I never got a chance to play KZ2 online. A remaster for me would be finally getting a chance to play the legendary GAF games I heard so much about.

I legitimately feel bad for you; put over 700 hours into it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
In a fucking heartbeat.

Killzone 2 is one of the best FPS games ever made.

And Killzone 3 is pretty good as well.

theecakee

Its not the top remaster I'd really want, but yeah maybe since its one PS exclusive I never fully played.

I'd rather have Demon Souls and Dark Souls HD instead...never got around the the souls series.

Grisby

I'd rather the Cambridge studio try their hand at a full killzone game for the PS4. Mercenary was pretty damn fun.

You mean Killzone 2's GOAT multiplayer with improved visuals, frame rate and a refreshed user-base? You betcha. I'd even bite for full RRP.

My balls, Sony/GG. You have them.

emrober5

Absolutely I would. KZ2 was great and I really enjoyed 3.

Operations mode in KZ3 was awesome. I enjoyed Shadow Fall, but it is definitely a different tone, and the mp is dead.

Agent X

Gold Member
I enjoyed Killzone 2 and 3 greatly, but I wouldn't be interested in rebuying these games on PS4. I'd rather play an all-new Killzone than to revisit the old games on PS4. I've still got my PS3 if I have the urge to play them again.

I'm not against the concept; in fact, it would be good for them to port over the old games as long as it's not sucking away significant resources from other projects. That way, other people who never tried them on PS3 could have the opportunity to play them on PS4. I just wouldn't be likely to buy them myself.

This isn't just a Killzone thing, either. This goes for almost all PS3 games, even some of my absolute favorites. The list of PS3 games that I would even consider rebuying on PS4 is extremely short.

Top Bottom