• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peterc

This is it. September's gonna be the month, I can feel it.

They even show a hint in the ndirect

CrSEcIHWcAA1wVj.jpg

:p

L Thammy

I have a feeling that Nintendo will just randomly in the next two weeks announce "NX Direct tomorrow". There won't be leaks because they're not going to send anything to the press ahead of time. I really hope it's going to happen soon.

Based on the normal distance between Nintendo Direct announcements and presentations, I assume that we'll get the video somewhere between ten hours before and twenty four hours after we hear about it.

I'm excited for carts!
I know they'll be more like 3ds games than SNES for example, but still! Never liked CDs much.

Now if they could make it so that patches and updates were written to the cart itself instead of the system, NX could bring immortality and timelessness back to their systems.

maxcriden

Anything of note beyond what's in the OP, news/rumors-wise today?

And, was it clarified if the pre-TGS announcement was mere speculation?

Thanks!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release is scheduled for October 26, 2016, with Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing tentatively scheduled for October 27, 2016. Likely there could be a news conference on October 26 as well.

I would be very surprised if Nintendo won't at least prior to these events announce when NX will be revealed. A September reveal seems to me fine, it would give Nintendo a decent amount of time to market the system before release, and they would also not miss Black Friday and important pre-order business (with official marketing).

duvjones

Banned
You know, I suspected this move for a long time. Nintendo has been doing what ever it can to avoid blu-ray/DVD's for a few years now and the NX from the start sounded more like a portable device, at least at first.
Let's be blunt, the only company that would make anything had Nintendo gone with a disk format was Sony. Most of blu-ray's and DVD's patents belong to the competitor (or consortium's that list Sony as a key member), and the licensing fees are pretty bad especially for blu-ray. This gives Nintendo a format to call it's own, it would be a their process since they more or less own it, it's a proven tech that they have been using since the DS, and does have some rather token resistance against pirates (through I doubt it would last and there are likely other measures in place).

Cart's would be a rather sensible choice, so long as read times and space isn't much of an issue.

The samsung media format? They have a ways to got before it hits critical mass. And for the moment, I can't see samsung using the format all that much even in it's own products.
I hope Breath of the Wild comes on a shiny gold cart. The memories...
You know, that being a thing again would be rather cool.
Reggie...does not look happy lol
Lately, I have not really caught a glimpse of the man without this rather serious glare on him.

The1Ski

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

I think I remember hearing the reverse sentiment when discs started taking over. To each their own but I always felt like I had to be so careful with discs and not smudge/scratch the data side. Cartridges can be tossed around or left lose in a box.

I think I remember hearing the reverse sentiment when discs started taking over. To each their own but I always felt like I had to be so careful with discs and not smudge/scratch the data side. Cartridges can be tossed around or left lose in a box.

The only thing I'll truly miss is the buttery smooth side of Wii U discs... mmmm that's good.

Maxinas

Reaching far too much. You shouldn't expect much from SE except with Dragon Quest on Nintendo's platforms.

I'm hoping for final fantasy games in the future, kingdom hearts as well. These are games that have seen light on nintendo consoles in the past.

MacTag

Banned
No 3DS game has used an 8 GB card, and few have been 4 GB. It's relatively expensive. That's why 32 GB is probably the limit for the NX's gen anyways.
There's more 4GB 3DS games that people are generally aware of. I also doubt they're really that expensive anymore given how niche some of the titles are.

Bravely Default
Bravely Second: End Layer
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
E.X.Troopers
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Inazuma Eleven Go - Light / Shadow
Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stones - Thunderflash / Wildfire
Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy - Big Bang / Supernova
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
PachiPara 3D: Deluxe Umi Monogatari
PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2
PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 with Agnes Lum
PachiPara 3D: Premium Umi Monogatari
Resident Evil Revelations
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Yo-Kai Watch 3 - Sushi / Tempura

As for NX topping out as 32GB, no cart/card based Nintendo platform in history has launched with it max rom size available day one. I doubt NX will break that trend.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Chû Totoro;215752657 said:
Sept. 13th imo

The thing about this possibility would be that either the invitations to the press event have their own crazy NDAs or that it's going to be a Direct. I'm beginning to think it's just going to be a Direct, so I could see the 13th happening, but if there's press involved, I think we shouldn't expect anything earlier than the week following TGS.

None of the GB, GBA, DS, or 3DS zelda games came on gold carts.

Probably because all of them are expected to be fully inserted in their various consoles and depending on how you achieve the "gold" look, you could end up with it flaking off and looking uglier over time with regular insertion/removal. The golden labels are certainly a nice homage to it, though.

Gleethor

Wouldn't be shocked at all if they announced it as a Direct only, no hands on press event on the same day.
Pretty much all recent (ie, within the last few years) directs with substantial announcements in them had simultaneous hands-on press events.

Top Bottom