• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(WSJ) Plot Change: Foreign Forces Transform Hollywood Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmv

Banned
In 2008, veteran film executive Sanford Panitch was shocked when a Twentieth Century Fox film he worked on called "Jumper" was nearly eclipsed in South Korea by a local crime thriller called "The Chaser."

"As I was looking at the box-office numbers rolling in that weekend, the power of local content really hit me," says Mr. Panitch.

It's not about the power of local content, it's about good movies. The Chaser is a far better movie than Jumper. Personally I thought this gritty thriller about a cop turned pimp who's hunting a serial killer in order to save one of his girls was one of the best movies of 2008.

To prove my point. Hollywood is now going to do an unneeded remake of The Chaser (IMDB rating 7.9), while Jumper (IMDB rating 5.9) will never get the sequel that the movie was supposed to get.

soqquatto

so, studios are now catering to international tastes... starting with G.I. Joe? another proof of people that don't know shit running the movie business.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
In principle this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with diversifying your slate. Where there's a problem is with studio execs thinking that casting Arnold fucking Vosloo is going to help their shitty film abroad. Just make good movies, and if you have to, cast an international star in a proper role, not as some token gesture. WB played it just right with Inception and Ken Watanabe.

Zaptruder

Banned
This has potential to be great news... if it means that Hong Kong film makers can start getting access to hollywood money and not just chinese money.

I mean, if they really wanna get serious about creating globally marketable films, they can start by stopping the whitewashing of movies.

21, The Last Airbender. Yeah. no more of that shit mother fuckers.

Cast more asian actors in main roles, outside of stereotyping (like with Ninja Assassin).

Not saying that, that would be some kinda panacea for making Hollywood truly global, but it's one of the many steps to take in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom