• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one getting keyboard/mouse support

Zedox

Yea, the second option is more consumer friendly in general...

I hate this next bit because I always end up coming across as a bit of an asshole, but... I don't really care what's considered the most user friendly option, I care only about how I like things as they are currently (i.e. friendly to one particular user... me). I would much rather force PC players to use a joypad in a potential Halo 5 port, then to introduce mouselook to the game. I don't really view m+kb in the same fashion as I do stuff like racing wheels or arcade sticks. In both of those cases I feel a joypad player has roughly the same potential performance as the other control options (maybe not for Project Cars, heh).. but for kb+m vs controller, I feel that even a mediocre player with a kb+m is likely to run a train on a much higher skilled joypad user, necessitating the two be separated. It just goes against unified nature of the XBL community imo... where you'll start considering what control types players use before you invite them to your games, etc.

I do think leaving it in the dev's hands would likely work out for the best in general... but I'm less convinced about the users.

What I mean "in the users hands" is that if a dev allows both kb/m and controller and gives the option to the user if they would like to play against 1 or both, that there should be a preference that the user would always take.

Shin-Ra

To keep everyone happy you could have six online playlists for competitive games and if there aren't enough players, they get mixed together.

Windows and Xbone, any input device, uncapped framerate and resolution.
Windows only, any input device, uncapped framerate and resolution.
Xbone only, any input device.

Windows and Xbone, controller only, 1080p30 cap.
Xbone controller only.
Xbone mouse only.

JaggedSac

Yea, they could... though honestly, I don't think I'd like that much either. I wouldn't want the userbase to be split between m+kb users and joypad users for each game.. it's like taking the benefits of crossplatform play, and then reversing it. There are cases where I honestly wouldn't mind (I think the villain in Fable Legends should be able to use a m+kb no matter what device they're on), but I would hope it wouldn't simply become standard in console games going forwards, especially not if the PC players start to make up a larger portion of each game's playerbase.

With that said, I'm honestly not too worried though, as I doubt MS is oblivious to the potential issues.

If I recall, they already mention being able to filter matchmaking based on input type in their sdk. Perhaps this was at Build last year.

jax

Banned
Wtf is keyboard paddle mapping?
Being able to map the paddles on the elite to keyboard keys. Pretty standard stuff that Microsoft promised would be implimented 4 months ago.. So far there isn't even a hint of that promise ever being fufilled. So stupid. $200 paperweight.

Top Bottom