• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

While the PS4 is louder, it isn't that much louder. Unless you have it in an enclosed space with something on top of it or something. And again, the ps4 gets a pass on those things from me due to its small size, better capabilities, and no power brick.

I don't mean to be confrontational because I understand you value different things, but I'd honestly take the larger size and a power brick if it means complete silence while running. I like to have my consoles sit in my entertainment center and basically be forgotten/blend in.

The easiest way for me to remember that it's there is for the console to be blarring when in use. This was one of my biggest negatives with my 360... It was so distracting! The slim model fixed most of the sounds issues, but it was still a lot louder than my XB1.

ekim

I don't mean to be confrontational because I understand you value different things, but I'd honestly take the larger size and a power brick if it means complete silence while running. I like to have my consoles sit in my entertainment center and basically be forgotten/blend in.

The easiest way for me to remember that it's there is for the console to be blarring when in use. This was one of my biggest negatives with my 360... It was so distracting! The slim model fixed most of the sounds issues, but it was still a lot louder than my XB1.

I still have an Elite 360 which I recently fired up. I was so used to the silent Xbox One I thought something is wrong with the 360. "Was is always that loud?"

Duxxy3

Yeah. Declining sales, no VR solution, least powerful machine. MS must react even if they make a loss with every box sold. I don't know what type of specs are possible in a 399-499 dollar machine but without Kinect and eating some costs, I guess they can go for a 4-5x increase in power and thus support Oculus Rift.

I'm thinking they may just go for the bottom. Cheapest console that can play Madden and Call of Duty.

Let sony make their upgraded system and vr. Let nintendo do whatever.

Microsoft will just go to the winchester and wait for this all to blow over.

Chitown B

While the PS4 is louder, it isn't that much louder. Unless you have it in an enclosed space with something on top of it or something. And again, the ps4 gets a pass on those things from me due to its small size, better capabilities, and no power brick.

PS4 is super loud in my instance. If I start up a game, I hear it every time. I've never heard my X1 fan run, and it's right next to it.

Small size - makes no difference, fits in my tv stand
Power brick - it's behind my stand, I never see it.
Better capabilities - pixel counters care about this. I do not. If you're talking about anything other than pixel counting, I think the X1 has better capabilities including free backwards compatibility for currently owned and future purchases of x360 games - for one.

I'm thinking they may just go for the bottom. Cheapest console that can play Madden and Call of Duty.

Let sony make their upgraded system and vr. Let nintendo do whatever.

Microsoft will just go to the winchester and wait for this all to blow over.

That's possible.

I could also see ekim's interpretations come true with something at the "bottom" in the OG XB1 (or a slim model replacing it) perhaps priced below $300 (essentially replacing the 360 as the entry point for MS console gaming), and some upgraded version at the top hitting around $400-$500...Who knows though.

Not much to go on at this point - but after the PS4K rumors, I wouldn't be surprised with anything at this point.

leeh

Thanks. Didn't think to check his profile. Normally if a poster here is industry there would be a tag that gives a clue.
No worries, my post came across snarky.

Excited for E3, I'm intruiged what's going to happen, especially considering the consumer backlash from what I've seen on here and reddit.

THE:MILKMAN

No worries, my post came across snarky.

Excited for E3, I'm intruiged what's going to happen, especially considering the consumer backlash from what I've seen on here and reddit.

No! You weren't snarky at all!. I usually do check profiles when a poster out of the blue does a smilie post. Probably didn't because I don't remember seeing a post by Tom here before.

farisr

I think your case is pretty rare. I don't doubt that some small percentage of people do move their consoles often.

Personally, I plug them in once and never move them. These aren't portable consoles. My 65" TV isn't portable, either. :p Give me silence, please. Microsoft has the right priority for the majority in this case.
I'm not advocating portability of these consoles, I understand they're not supposed to be. I was stating a reason why it's not being used that often by me and why I don't like the additional brick. Also the brick also creates an unnecessary clutter at the back which I absolutely hate. Cable management can only go so far when you have these big ass bricks getting in the way.

Bsigg12

So if Microsoft really is bringing a new system to the party, I expect them to announce it before E3. They have really focused on the games side of things with E3, except for the Elite controller, and I would think they would do the same here. Maybe the week before announce the console with what's different and show games at E3.

gamz

So if Microsoft really is bringing a new system to the party, I expect them to announce it before E3. They have really focused on the games side of things with E3, except for the Elite controller, and I would think they would do the same here. Maybe the week before announce the console with what's different and show games at E3.

Hell no! Of course it'll be at E3. That's like saying why did MS and Sony announced X1 and PS4 at E3?

Bsigg12

Hell no! Of course it'll be at E3. That's like saying why did MS and Sony announced X1 and PS4 at E3?

But they didn't announce either console at E3. They were both announced at separate events. They just expanded on the consoles at E3 (price, release, dumb DRM shit, etc.)

I will be watching Tom's twitter like a hawk now. Maybe him or Paul Thurrott will drop some nuggets in the coming weeks.

He said not a fan of minor upgrades. If I read that right?

That's correct.

gamz

But they didn't announce either console at E3. They were both announced at separate events. They just expanded on the consoles at E3 (price, release, dumb DRM shit, etc.)

I will be watching Tom's twitter like a hawk now. Maybe him or Paul Thurrott will drop some nuggets in the coming weeks.

That's correct.

Oh crap! You are right -- I remember now. Sorry man.

Brad Sams twitter too.

Bizzquik

There's no way PS4K is going to best regular PS4 sales unless the price is close to PS4. And the NX will not come out this year, IMO. Plus even if it did, Nintendo console sales have been dismal since about 2010. Xbox will have Gears 4 for the holiday.

I disagree on several fronts:
[1] I think the PS4K will beat PS4 sales for Holiday '16. I think there will be a staggering number of customers that will want to upgrade.

[2] The NX will come out this holiday season, just as the last three Nintendo consoles have done. (Gamecube: November 18, 2001, Wii: November 19, 2006, Wii U: November 18, 2012)

[3] The Wii U sold well at launch. That's the dedicated Nintendo fan loyalty; they were there for the launch of the Wii and the Wii U - they will be there for the NX, too. (Nintendo's Wii U problem was its inability to reach beyond its core base.)
"Nintendo sold 3.06 million Wii U units worldwide from its November launch through the end of 2012. That's nearly as much as the 3.19 million units of the original Wii Nintendo sold back in the 2006 holiday season."

Wedzi

Banned

If they were to announce an event before hand (which I really doubt they will) it'll be fairly soon. They announced the date for the May 2013 Xbox One unveiling around the end of April. Maybe they would announce it along side of their other hardware updates since they are pushing the whole Windows 10 family. Historically speaking MS is kind of all over with hardware unveiling events. Surface 3 was May 2014, Surface 4 was October 2015.

Edit: Then again Tom did say at E3 so forget all of that

ekim

If they were to announce an event before hand (which I really doubt they will) it'll be fairly soon. They announced the date for the May 2013 Xbox One unveiling around the end of April. Maybe they would announce it along side of their other hardware updates since they are pushing the whole Windows 10 family. Historically speaking MS is kind of all over with hardware unveiling events. Surface 3 was May 2014, Surface 4 was October 2015.

If the update is substantial there will be a dedicated event I'd guess.

Edit: oh yeah. He said E3.

speedomodel

Very interested in what they have up their sleeve. Would probably bite at a more powerful Xbox One and put my current one in the office.

Sweep14

Most probably a slim design with updated components but same power as actual X1. MS is not in position to split its userbase at all. Even less than Sony imho.

Edit: And I expect Sony to do the same (MLU with no power enhancement).

Top Bottom