• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Colbert

Banned
No, I mean for 4k source like UHD blu-ray playback or Netflix. Probably doesn't make much difference. I'm just curious.

If you watch a UHD BluRay this is what actually happens on your 1080p TV. Its downsampled. But why would you want to watch a 4K movie or stream on a 1080p TV?

naitosan

If you watch a UHD BluRay this is what actually happens on your 1080p TV. Its downsampled. But why would you want to watch a 4K movie or stream on a 1080p TV?

If it's being downsampled, it might give out slightly sharper image quality? That's what I'm wondering.

wachie

Not surprised. They are going to sell a ton of these.
Not surprised because we don't know the quantities - how many times does it need to be said that "sold out" is useless if the sold quantity/supply quantity is unknown.

FWIW, all the 14/16nm FF process products like 1080/1070/1060/480 have sold out at launch.

Just pre ordered 500gb model with Halo bundle. Couldn't resist, this thing is sexy.

I'm wondering if you can set XB1 to display 4k, then downscale to 1080p on 1080p TV?

You can't. In fact, I don't think streaming services will offer you the 4K streams if your TV is set to 1080p.

I'm curious what you think of the 4K UHD Blu-rays, however. I haven't tried myself (I only have on S and it's on my 4K set) but folks have told me that the downsampling of 4K movies on a 1080p set look great.

Dramos

For those interested, the new S design of the console comes from a talented guy MS picked up a few years back. This guy's craft is amazing. Andrew Kim
13402410_596801660489896_1355313371_n.jpg

Xenoflare

What are the chances of me walking with my preoreder receipt to the MS store today, will they break the street date

I can't wait omg

Dominator

I know everyone in here doesn't have it yet, but could I use the original HDMI cable that came with the launch Xbox One? I have it still plugged in my TV (my TV is mounted on my wall and I have the wires in the wall so I don't see them) for convenience and I was just going to plug this new console into that wire. I sold my old Xbox One with a different HDMI cable. Would it make a difference for the 4K and HDR stuff if I used that one, or should I make the hassle of switching out the cables with the new one that comes with the S?

Impulsor

I know everyone in here doesn't have it yet, but could I use the original HDMI cable that came with the launch Xbox One? I have it still plugged in my TV (my TV is mounted on my wall and I have the wires in the wall so I don't see them) for convenience and I was just going to plug this new console into that wire. I sold my old Xbox One with a different HDMI cable. Would it make a difference for the 4K and HDR stuff if I used that one, or should I make the hassle of switching out the cables with the new one that comes with the S?
Launch console hdmi will probably not support 4k hdr.

Impulsor

FFFFFFFFFFFF

Changing the wires is so hard lol

Launch hdmi was 1.4 if I'm not mistaken. It supports 4k but not up to 10 bit color depth, which is what hdr needs, it supports only up to 8 bit. Also does not support as much fps at 4k as 2.0, if I remember correctly.

rjcc

Launch console hdmi will probably not support 4k hdr.

I very much doubt this is true. I used a completely random HDMI cable I had laying around and it worked fine. The 2.0 spec did not mandate new cables.

Don't believe me, believe the HDMI consortium: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144
Can existing HDMI cables support the higher bandwidths of HDMI 2.0 Specification?
Yes, existing High Speed HDMI Cables (wire only) will support the new higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps).

HDMI 2.0 specification defined a new, more efficient signaling method, for speeds above 1.4b limits (10.2Gbps), to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over existing High Speed HDMI Wire Cables.

Caayn

The HDMI cable you got with the launch Xbox One should suffice.

Launch console hdmi is 1.4 I believe. 4K 30fps but no HDR.
Cables don't use HDMI versions ;)

Xenoflare

Any Best Buy insiders have an idea how many non-preorder units might be on hand? Gonna hit the store early just in case.

You can try to reserve it at midnight, since the midnight of the release day is when in store reservation opens. That's actually suggested by someone at my local best buy when it comes to pre ordering stuff. Not sure about the 1S in particular

Sounds like both of my nearby GameStops are going to have a couple of S models available on a first-come, first serve basis. Gonna try for it. Don't imagine there will be crowds rushing in the morning beyond those just picking up their preordered units but y'never know. The town over seems to not sell out of items quite as quickly at their GameStop so if all else fails I can likely make a 30 min drive to grab one.

Just picked these up. Gonna get Deadpool and The Martian too tomorrow. Pumped to try this out.

You should pick up The Revenant instead, honestly was not impressed with The Martian. Unfortunately most 4K Blu-Ray Movies are based from 2K sources. Movies like Deadpool and The Revenant were made with 4K in mind.

rjcc

You should pick up The Revenant instead, honestly was not impressed with The Martian. Unfortunately most 4K Blu-Ray Movies are based from 2K sources. Movies like Deadpool and The Revenant were made with 4K in mind.

I have Deadpool and The Revenant. Deadpool looks really good, but it looked good in 1080p too, the difference is small, The Revenant is mindblowing in UHD.

I saw Mad Max UHD in demo reels at CES and it looked great, but I'm not sure how big the difference is.

Hawk269

Here is something odd. A friend got his system today and no where on the box does it say it plays UHD movies. It mentions 4k streaming and HDR but not one mention of it playing UHD disks. You would think that would be something major they would have on the box. We all know it does but not mentioning it at all is a little weird. I personally think it is a big selling feature that should be proudly mentioned somewhere on the packaging.

Magwik

Banned
Here is something odd. A friend got his system today and no where on the box does it say it plays UHD movies. It mentions 4k streaming and HDR but not one mention of it playing UHD disks. You would think that would be something major they would have on the box. We all know it does but not mentioning it at all is a little weird. I personally think it is a big selling feature that should be proudly mentioned somewhere on the packaging.
Oh god what have you done. You practically just begged Jeff Rigby to come in here and spout nonsense about the XB1 being UHD capable

rjcc

their PR when it was announced was weird about it too, in not explicitly saying "This is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player" I don't know why they did it that way.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I really want one but I'm gonna hold out and see if they release it in black. Plus I don't have a 4K TV but I'm looking at a $700ish one I might get.

Hawk269

their PR when it was announced was weird about it too, in not explicitly saying "This is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player" I don't know why they did it that way.
Exactly. It is very odd that MS messaging has been a little odd in regards to UHD playback. MS has acknowledged that it does just odd that it is not mentioned on the packaging and like you said when it was revealed they seemed very coy about it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Exactly. It is very odd that MS messaging has been a little odd in regards to UHD playback. MS has acknowledged that it does just odd that it is not mentioned on the packaging and like you said when it was revealed they seemed very coy about it.
Hmmm very strange indeed, seeing how they advertise it very clearly on the product page:

Dominator

I've seen The Revenant twice and don't really feel like watching it a third time lol. That's a definite purchase down the line though. I might swipe out The Martian for Creed. I forgot that was 4K.

It will work fine. The cable that came with the original Xbox One is a high speed HDMI cable. Hence our much maligned claim at launch of a "4k" rated cable.

Dominator

I hope you picked those up at Best Buy since they're running a buy 2 save $10/buy 3 save $20 this week.
I did indeed. Didn't know of the sale and was only gonna get 1 but decided on 2 when I saw the sale. That's why I'm going back for 2 more. Still $20 in savings since I'll have gotten 4.

Also I just realized that my TV probably isn't HDR... I don't know why I didn't think of that before lol I have a 2014 Sony Bravia, model XBR-55X850B. I'll probably get a new TV by the end of next year.

At least I'll still get that 4K goodness.

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Ok so need some advice
I don't use my Xbox one much and at moment sits in the bedroom as bluray player but I have a 4K tv in living room BUT it's not HDR
If I was to trade my old one for the new slim would I be losing out on much by not having HDR,what I'm saying is would I notice difference from normal bluray to 4K films but without HDR

Also moving Xbox in living room would make me play it more,would I lose out on anything gaming wise by not having HDR
And last question does ea access require gold as I would problely grab that too

Thanks in advance

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wonder if updates will show the slick new factor or the old box.
Better show me that cool new minimalistic design instead of that fat old box.

Also, does anyone know when the Anniversary Update goes live for Windows 10 tomorrow? I wanna install it, make sure my upgrade licence is tied to my Microsoft account, and then do a fresh install.

dcx4610

No response earlier. Does anyone know if there is a way to power on the new controller in Bluetooth mode? For instance, say you want to use the controller on a PC, if you press the power button, it's going to turn on the Xbox One.

Is there a way to hold down a certain button and turn it on in Bluetooth mode? I'd imagine I'd just have to buy a 2nd controller but just checking.

Top Bottom