• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's Scaler May Be Applying a Sharpening Filter to All Sub-1080p Games

..... the textures in this shot

11021083624_b2919ab570_o.jpg

Is this real life?

CuznLarry

Banned
This extreme sharpening is like Microsoft doing duckface.. they think it looks so hot but everyone else that sees it just cringes.

Stitch

Gold Member
The weirdest thing about the KI screenshot is that it looks like someone shopped Orchid into the pic.

heyf00L

This looks like an Unsharp Mask, which is called an Unsharp mask because it "sharpens" by blurring. Basically you blur the image, then find where the blurred image is most different from the original and intensify the color there to make edges stand out more. In many cases it will make a blurry picture look clearer, but there are plenty of cases where it makes it look worse, most notably where the image already had sharp lines (like outlined text).

antitrop

Zombi U has some awesome lighting and graphics, DR3 doesn't look anything like it to me.

Yeah, just from Google Image Searching ZombiU, it looks more next-gen than Dead Rising 3. I really like the soft-focus look, especially compared to the oversharpened, disgusting mess that is DR3.

Durante

Here's the original 1080p shot from Xbox One:

xB0.png
Amazing.

They are seriously upscaling an aliased image with a sharpening kernel. Someone else nailed it when he said it's reminescent of PS2 IQ when it comes to aliasing.

Microsoft, I came up with a scaling method specifically designed for sharply scaling aliased images 4 years ago. I called it adaptive Lanczos scaling. The code is on github, feel free to use it.

Well this explains everything, I thought I was crazy but I noticed the exact same crushed blacks on every game, especially Killer instinct and Dead Rising 3, where it's sometimes impossible to see if you're in a dark area, even with the gamma turned up quite a bit. The harsh sharpening I definitely noticed as well which I'm guessing Microsoft did to fool people into thinking the image was sharp and clear when in reality, it makes the game look like shit. VERY disappointed with what I've seen graphically on this console and from what I've used of the Media, UI and Kinect features, I hardly think those things are worth the sacrifice Microsoft made with GPU power.

If I didn't know any better, I would assume that ZombiU was the Xbox One game and Dead Rising 3 was the WiiU game.

DR3 really looks pretty bad. There are moments where its impressive with the sheer amount of zombies on screen but overall it can look like a real mess.

mjontrix

Amazing.

They are seriously upscaling an aliased image with a sharpening kernel. Someone else nailed it when he said it's reminescent of PS2 IQ when it comes to aliasing.

Microsoft, I came up with a scaling method specifically designed for sharply scaling aliased images 4 years ago. I called it adaptive Lanczos scaling. The code is on github, feel free to use it.

You and madshi - the guy behind madVR would get along really well :)

Dead Rising 3 doesn't look like that screenshot above at all. That's right in the middle of some delayed texture streaming. Game definitely doesn't have great IQ but the lighting effects are wonderful and the scale(there really are thousands on zombies on screen depending on the area) truly sets it apart from other current gen games. Not to mention a lot of minor things like objects and bodies sticking around, various objects such as fences that break apart in dynamic ways, etc.

And Zombi U didn't have any dynamic lighting of any sort. It's a decent looking game but saying it looks better than Dead Rising 3 is somewhat absurd.

Chobel

Amazing.

Too late now, I don't think Xbox One's scaler is programmable.

nib95

Banned
Amazing.

You came up with that? Nice work dude. Is their scaler programmable then? I'm assuming it is?

Durante

You came up with that? Nice work dude. Is their scaler programmable then? I'm assuming it is?
I have no idea, honestly. The "the code is on github" line was just meant to illustrate that it's neither new nor rocket science to scale rendered images in a way which does not make them look completely disgusting. And I'm certainly neither the only one nor the first to come up with much better methods than what these games are doing.

Jhn

The thing that is really annoying about this is that, to the average consumer, the over-sharpened and irreversibly damaged image output by the xbone scaler looks better.
Even in our own DF threads, I consistently see comments from less technical people about how they prefer the xbone screens, since they "pop" more.

You can bet microsoft had focus groups of thousands of mothers and teens and grandparents helping them decide sharpening aggressiveness. To them, it just looks "better", and since microsoft doesn't seem to be targeting the pixel counting demographics as much any more, that's really all that matters to them.

To a casual observer, their crushed blacks and ridiculous over-sharpening simply look "better. It's the same problem as in-store TVs generally running ludicrous settings, only here the damage to the IQ is irreversible.

People are essentially idiots, microsoft is just catering to the larger market.

edit: That adaptive lanczos is sexy.

antitrop

The thing that is really annoying about this is that, to the average consumer, the over-sharpened and irreversibly damaged image output by the xbone scaler looks better.
Even in our own DF threads, I consistently see comments from less technical people about how they prefer the xbone screens, since they "pop" more.

Again, to mention SweetFX, there are tons of examples of PC gamers crushing the absolute dogshit out of their blacks and thinking they're doing good work.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
strange, not enough time? Isnt that an "arcade" game?

I'll put it this way- from a programming perspective, no matter what the game, you're going to have to do a lot of optimization to hit 1080p on XB1. It's just much easier to go with 720p, especially since the display panes allow you to display UI at 1080p. It's just the nature of the ESRAM bottleneck.

What I do find odd is that even the UI is affected by the sharpening filter, which shouldn't be right since it technically could be displayed at native 1080p while the actual game is 720p...huh.

Mike Golf

I think everyone has said everything that can be said on this, but figure I'll give my piece too. I was thrown back quite a bit when I found out years ago that the 360 was crushing blacks and washing out white material on purpose. That to me was just incredible, and I second the thoughts that they must have used focus groups of individuals who just have no clue what a proper image should like. Since most TVs, and by extension most of their users, utilize dynamic settings and crushed dark and light material already out of the box I just don't get why MS would go with either of these image destroying "features". I fear some day going over to a friends place who has a One and seeing the already blown out TV picture piled on with MS's further crushing blacks and eye bleeding sharpness.

From a pure IQ perspective, I just can't get over how asinine this is. Even if MS didn't initially screw the pooch in my mind over the forced DRM and online BS, and I was considering getting a One for any decent exclusives, this alone would put me off for good.

I think everyone has said everything that can be said on this, but figure I'll give my piece too. I was thrown back quite a bit when I found out years ago that the 360 was crushing blacks and washing out white material on purpose. That to me was just incredible, and I second the thoughts that they must have used focus groups of individuals who just have no clue what a proper image should like. Since most TVs, and by extension most of their users, utilize dynamic settings and crushed dark and light material already out of the box I just don't get why MS would go with either of these image destroying "features". I fear some day going over to a friends place who has a One and seeing the already blown out TV picture piled on with MS's further crushing blacks and eye bleeding sharpness.

From a pure IQ perspective, I just can't get over how asinine this is. Even if MS didn't initially screw the pooch in my mind over the forced DRM and online BS, and I was considering getting a One for any decent exclusives, this alone would put me off for good.

The nonstandard gamma setting of the 360 really skewed proper calibration attempts. These "darker blacks" and "richer colors" was noting but crushing blacks and losing shadow details. All those comparisons when the PS3 versions would looked "washed out" in comparison became all too apparent when I realized what was happening to the video output. The PS3 was easier to find better settings for since it used the proper gamma settings like it should. I have to use higher brightness settings and contrast for my 360 because of it.

I can't believe they would go even worse video output on the One, in what looks like a locked equivalent of "dynamic contrast" and sharpness dialed to 11 when it has always been best to shut off dynamic contrast and set sharpness to the proper neutral setting of a tv set.

Everybody here assume that using sharpness filter is optional because Ryse doesn't use it. Well Ryse doesn't use Xbox One upscaler. Crytek use their own technique.

hsgU48L.png

Is using sharpness filter really optional for devs?

I speculated on this. I am not happy to find out I was right. This shit needs to have a better option for disabling it than outputting 720p. what if we get a 900p game that uses it? we have to throw away all that resolution to not have artificial sharpening? eurgh.

EURGH.

Mike Golf

The nonstandard gamma setting of the 360 really skewed proper calibration attempts. These "darker blacks" and "richer colors" was noting but crushing blacks and losing shadow details. All those comparisons when the PS3 versions would looked "washed out" in comparison became all too apparent when I realized what was happening to the video output. The PS3 was easier to find better settings for since it used the proper gamma settings like it should. I have to use higher brightness settings and contrast for my 360 because of it.

I can't believe they would go even worse video output on the One, in what looks like a locked equivalent of "dynamic contrast" and sharpness dialed to 11 when it has always been best to shut off dynamic contrast and set sharpness to the proper neutral setting of a tv set.

Exactly, what MS needs to do (although unless the regular gaming "news" sites put it on blast I doubt they will) is when you initially setup the One's resolution/audio etc. They make you go through an option of enabling "Dynamic Contrast" and the "Edge Enhancement" or disabling it, perhaps utilizing a natively rendered 3D scene and switching back and forth. Now granted even with the option it is likely many will still keep it, not knowing what is proper, but at least those who are aware of its crap effect will have the option.

Top Bottom