• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

Not the same thing.

Surface Pro means Xbox. Just Xbox, is on the table.

Except "Surface" used to be the name for a completely different product even before the tablet range kicked off. Microsoft are fond of rebranding existing product names into new products, and it makes a lot of sense here given "Elite" has often been associated with a high quality version of an Xbox. It's a sensible refocus here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Except "Surface" used to be the name for a completely different product even before the tablet range kicked off. Microsoft are fond of rebranding existing product names into new products, and it makes a lot of sense here given "Elite" has often been associated with a high quality version of an Xbox. It's a sensible refocus here.

Exactly. Surface was once their brand for a freaking table. But it's a catchy name so they re-branded an entirely different hardware line with the name. It worked.

The Xbox 360 Elite was the mid-gen refresh of the Xbox 360 with a bigger harddrive, HDMI and a new colourscheme. The moniker still fits pretty damn well for the upcoming Xbox One refresh.

madmackem

Exactly. Surface was once their brand for a freaking table. But it's a catchy name so they re-branded an entirely different hardware line with the name. It worked.

The Xbox 360 Elite was the mid-gen refresh of the Xbox 360 with a bigger harddrive, HDMI and a new colourscheme. The moniker still fits pretty damn well for the upcoming Xbox One refresh.
Didn't they already have an Xbox one elite bundle the one that came with the tb hdd and the elite controller?.

Codenames never stick. Especially not one as 'edgy' as Scorpio.

It would be the generic tribal tattoo or leather trenchcoat of console names. Would have been cool in the early 2000's maybe.

Cortana was a code name... It stuck, did it not?

Every gamer out there knows what Scorpio is now. Why change it?

takoyaki

Xbox ONE UP

edit: Xbox One Elite or Xbox One Pro seem like the safest bets.

Maybe Xbox One Metal if it has an aluminum (colored) casing, they mentioned coding to the metal a lot and they have targeted enthusiasts so far with the unveil and Digital Foundry piece.

univbee

Codenames never stick. Especially not one as 'edgy' as Scorpio.

It would be the generic tribal tattoo or leather trenchcoat of console names. Would have been cool in the early 2000's maybe.

While I'd normally agree with you, they've leveraged the Scorpio moniker in a ton of publicity like that Scorpion made of Xbox logos and the lollipops with Scorpions in them; stuff like that wasn't done with codenames for other consoles, was it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
While I'd normally agree with you, they've leveraged the Scorpio moniker in a ton of publicity like that Scorpion made of Xbox logos and the lollipops with Scorpions in them; stuff like that wasn't done with codenames for other consoles, was it?

Perhaps you're right. But I wouldn't characterize what you just said as a 'ton of publicity'. It's a jpeg and lollipops you can buy at nearly every market.
The name 'Scorpio' certainly hasn't penetrated much into the mainstream gaming audience. Just the people in gaming communities mostly.

Before the name of Kinect was revealed Project Natal was similarly a near houshold name in hardcore gaming circles. Same with Project Morpheus/Orbis/Durango/Dolphin/NX/NGP etcetera.

And I just think it's a name that sounds tacky as hell. But that's just me.

It won't be xbox one ______, it's going to be ______ xbox one.

It wouldn't sound cool that way, but it definitely communicates that the hardware is a clear step up over the vanilla unit for the average consumer. Super/Ultra Xbox One. I wonder if that stylized 'S' noticed a few days ago doesn't actually have to do with the project name. That font is all over E3 presentation messaging, though, so it would be a lot of effort to throw people off the scent if it turned out to be something else entirely.

Theorry

I am so happy that name guessing will be over in a couple of hours haha.
I am sure 50% of the post in this whole topic are about what its gonna be called. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom