• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Sega made Sonic 2006.

That's not stopping you from buying Yakuza ?

I mean you do realize it's a game that has literally nothing in common with Shadowfall, not even its genre, so that's a weird comment to make.

I can respect the wait and see approach though, virtually no preview or footage has indicated it would be anything like shadowfall. Hopefully it turns out great !
Not to derail the thread any more, but I think my problem with Horizon is what Jones from EZA said during their PSX stream. There is not a clear enemy. I'm not invested in this world. There is nothing that compelling about the world and its characters.

Even their latest story trailer was all about machines and barely had any interesting villain or important characters in it. I have some problems with what I've seen from its gameplay (not varied enough for my taste) but the main reason that I'm not interested in the game is because it really hasn't give me anything to look forward to besides hunting robots.

Ricitor

Well, first time I ever put on an Avatar tag and damn is it worth it.
Crazy to think that 3 years ago all this was a distant dream. Always held out hope but could not help but worry the series would never get its due in the west. I am so happy to see the support not only here but in sales. My local online retailer has had it sitting in the best sellers for weeks now even hitting number 1 spot at times.

I went down memory lane and really enjoyed seeing all of these again, I know there were more but these were my favourites.

Haruka1.jpg

Jq2EG3Q.gif

Tuesday cannot come soon enough! My 100th platinum is coming up too so maybe this will take that spot. I have done Minigame master once in 3 and I sure as hell will do it again
(Fuck Batting Cages)
. Since I got 3 days to kill and the Yakuza hype is palpable I might as well go finish up Yakuza 5 main story. I am not too far and as long as the distractions don't hit I should be able to do it.

So to Yakuza Gaf, I love you guys/gals!

Those pics/gifs take me back to a darker time, back when getting a Yakuza game in English seemed like an impossibility... So nice to see things change so much in just a year or two.

And nice one doing mini game master in 3. Its my nemesis in terms of the Yakuza series, once I get round to replaying 2, 5, Kiwami, Zero and soon to be 6 on higher difficulties I'll have the platinums. Done Ishin's already and 4 looks very attainable (but I have a few hostess related ones to grab as well).

But that mini game master trophy in 3... Billiards and Batting Center are just darn tough. I have improved over the years (especially in Billiards) so I should stand a better chance now. Still seems like the pinnacle of challenge in terms of Yakuza 100%s. Everything after 3 however has just gotten easier in my opinion in terms of requirements.

The only other Yakuza game I never see myself getting the platinum is the HD release of 1. I have yet to manage to do the Haruka's Trust side mission at the batting cage (hit 20 consecutive home runs). and to add insult to injury I've done everything else in the entire game. If I could only do that one challenge I'd have the plat! Next to 3 I'd say its the hardest trophy to get in the series.

bigmac996

I am loving this game so far, just got to the second major city/ story location and several hours in due to side missions as Kiryu.

Since this is my first game in the series, and I'm now a believer, where should I go from here? Should I wait for Kiwami, then follow up with 6? Or should I track down a ps3 and go 3, 4 and 5? What about Yakuza 2? Is it worth playing on a dusty old ps2?

Really sold on this series now! I picked up RE7 at the same time but haven't even touched it thanks to Yakuza.

Shadoken

Sega made Sonic 2006.

That's not stopping you from buying Yakuza ?

I mean you do realize it's a game that has literally nothing in common with Shadowfall, not even its genre, so that's a weird comment to make.

I can respect the wait and see approach though, virtually no preview or footage has indicated it would be anything like shadowfall. Hopefully it turns out great !

Actually Sonic Team , not the Yakuza devs. And yea after Sonic 2006 , people would damn well be skeptical about buying the next game from that dev.

I am loving this game so far, just got to the second major city/ story location and several hours in due to side missions as Kiryu.

Since this is my first game in the series, and I'm now a believer, where should I go from here? Should I wait for Kiwami, then follow up with 6? Or should I track down a ps3 and go 3, 4 and 5? What about Yakuza 2? Is it worth playing on a dusty old ps2?

Really sold on this series now! I picked up RE7 at the same time but haven't even touched it thanks to Yakuza.

May as well go with Kiwami next since its due out in the summer, its a great game with one of my favourite stories of the series, and it further fleshes out Kiryu (and Haruka) as characters.

After that, if you've got no problems going back to playing the PS3 games it'd be worth getting hold of 3-5. 6 follows on from 5 directly, so that's worth a play. 4 is a brilliant game in its own right so if you end up enjoying the series then just makes sense to play that one as well. And while 3 is a divisive game, I still think its well worth playing especially if you like Kiryu as a character. Its got a slower pace in the beginning with far less action (so keep that in mind) but once it gets going its excellent.

If you can find 2 then really you should play that after Kiwami. 2 goes for a high price these days though so that's easier said than done. It is possible that 2 gets remade at some point, but that's just speculation at the moment with no solid proof that it will happen any time soon (as much as I want it to happen!).

bigmac996

May as well go with Kiwami next since its due out in the summer, its a great game with one of my favourite stories of the series, and it further fleshes out Kiryu (and Haruka) as characters.

After that, if you've got no problems going back to playing the PS3 games it'd be worth getting hold of 3-5. 6 follows on from 5 directly, so that's worth a play. 4 is a brilliant game in its own right so if you end up enjoying the series then just makes sense to play that one as well. And while 3 is a divisive game, I still think its well worth playing especially if you like Kiryu as a character. Its got a slower pace in the beginning with far less action (so keep that in mind) but once it gets going its excellent.

If you can find 2 then really you should play that after Kiwami. 2 goes for a high price these days though so that's easier said than done. It is possible that 2 gets remade at some point, but that's just speculation at the moment with no solid proof that it will happen any time soon (as much as I want it to happen!).

Hey thanks for the advice, it really means a lot. I think I'll follow exactly what you've said, do Kiwami in the summer, followed up by 2 (somehow), then 3, 4, and 5 and 6. It'll be a doozy but I'm already invested!

Thanks again man!

No prob, always good to see another person get into the series!

Assuming we get another Yakuza game announcement in Japan this year, it should be around August/September at the Tokyo Game Show. If we are lucky it'll be a remake of Yakuza 2 (it'd be a good time time to remake it, especially if the series does take off more over here so more people can play the best entry in the series).

Or, I hope we just get confirmation that all the games (2-5) are getting remastered on the PS4/PC just so all the games are on one platform, rather than several.

Fordy

God damn it, I've pre-ordered. Never played one before but always wanted to jump in and this being a prequel is the perfect time.

Sorry backlog!

Slaythe

Actually Sonic Team , not the Yakuza devs. And yea after Sonic 2006 , people would damn well be skeptical about buying the next game from that dev.

Didn't you get I was being broad on purpose ?

The team working on Horizon wasn't the same as Shadow Fall, the shadow fall team joined after they finished their game to help making Horizon but the game was already designed at that point.

His main point of concern was the story, and they hired the lead writer of Fallout New Vegas, a game critically acclaimed for its writing.....

I never said he couldn't be skeptical, I agreed with that approach, I just said disregarding it instantly because of another completely irrelevant game was dumb.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fuckin hell, only an hour or two into the game and it's making me laugh out loud :p The new style switching system seems awesome too

Just a bit of dialogue spoiler for when learning the second fighting system

"He's a fisting artist"

"Oh that's.......not really my scene"

"No no no, he's a punching artist!"

Peroroncino

Yakuza non-OT thread with 45 pages, so many people jumping in for the first time, great reviews, sold out on amazon... shiiiit, is this even real life?

I bet some guys at SEGA must be shocked right now.

mike6467

I was going to wait, but just put in a pre-order at my local Gamestop. It seems to be the Business Edition...If Amazon offers it again I'll jump on it, otherwise I guess I'll pay the extra $10. I was planning on trading in some old games anyway....

Edit: Is the Business edition not a separate thing? Or if I preorder off Amazon am I getting the special stuff simply because I'm preordering?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was going to wait, but just put in a pre-order at my local Gamestop. It seems to be the Business Edition...If Amazon offers it again I'll jump on it, otherwise I guess I'll pay the extra $10. I was planning on trading in some old games anyway....

Edit: Is the Business edition not a separate thing? Or if I preorder off Amazon am I getting the special stuff simply because I'm preordering?
business edition is the first print of the game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How do I turn the in game volume down, its too loud and there doesn't seem to be an option...?

EDIT: Also, trophies not showing up for anyone else? Is this because release day is Tuesday or something wrong with PSN?

danowat

Banned
My copy turned up today, installed and ready to go for tomorrow.

One thing I did notice was, in the ACG review, he noted that there was a 6gb install and 20 odd gb download.

when I installed it, there was no download, it's usually shown in the info page, says downloading x of x.

Ordered the game, even if i don't have money for it, right now.
Looks like the only food i will eat in February, is rice and potatoes.

There is no way around it. I have to support my beloved yakuza series!

Edit:

Does the game support some PS4 Pro Features?

No Pro Support.

How do I turn the in game volume down, its too loud and there doesn't seem to be an option...?

EDIT: Also, trophies not showing up for anyone else? Is this because release day is Tuesday or something wrong with PSN?

If there is any volume controls, its going to be in the in game options menu, though I don't recall if this game even has that sort of option (I've only ever gone into the menu to change the camera controls).

As for trophies, I don't believe they should be blocked, which one(s) aren't unlocking?

Nitty_Grimes

Trophies

Spoiler

You get one just for starting, says something like Welcome to the 80's or something, but going into PSN, when I sync its just giving an error message and no trophies show for the game at all

Also, is there a manual save option? Or how do I know when it has / is saving?

Trophies

Spoiler

You get one just for starting, says something like Welcome to the 80's or something, but going into PSN, when I sync its just giving an error message and no trophies show for the game at all

Ah ok, well then either trophies are being blocked until launch or PSN is messed up again.

thatJohann

I'm enjoying the game although I must say the camera is pretty annoying in close alleys and there's tons of screen tearing if you aim camera to sky and rotate it. They hid the tearing up in the sky and top of buildings but when you see it it's pretty bad. Playing on ps4 pro. No day 1 patch available so 1.00

TB14

One thing I did notice was, in the ACG review, he noted that there was a 6gb install and 20 odd gb download.

when I installed it, there was no download, it's usually shown in the info page, says downloading x of x.
Can I get some more confirmation on this?

JJShadow

Can I get some more confirmation on this?

I've been playing for a while and no patch or installation at all for me. Just put the disc into my PS4 and was in-game 15 seconds later

Just to let the newcomers know, the first 2-3 hours of the game are heavily story-driven and with a lot of cutscenes and dialogues. The real fun starts later on once things open up

Waiting on Amazon UK to ship my preorder, I won't get it until Tuesday :( Bought a cheap copy of 3 to get me into it though. I'm absolutely loving it so far!

Karak

I've been playing for a while and no patch or installation at all for me. Just put the disc into my PS4 and was in-game 15 seconds later

Just to let the newcomers know, the first 2-3 hours of the game are heavily story-driven and with a lot of cutscenes and dialogues. The real fun starts later on once things open up
It all could be fixed by now too which is nice.

Correct the game is downloading the rest in the BG and Sega is aware of the bug. I informed them when I did the review. You should still play as normal. It just installs in the BG and due to being ingame downloading for some it might popup.
So far I have 11 subscribers who have had the same issue

Correct its a bug of some sort they know and it takes awhile to get going for some.

Nitty_Grimes

I think I'm gonna stop playing for now, I've unlocked 3 trophies so far but they aren't showing up in the trophy section, I believe they are probably going to be hidden until release day.

Also if there is a day one patch, I dont want to risk screwing up my game save and having to potentially start again.

brawly

I think I'm gonna stop playing for now, I've unlocked 3 trophies so far but they aren't showing up in the trophy section, I believe they are probably going to be hidden until release day.

Also if there is a day one patch, I dont want to risk screwing up my game save and having to potentially start again.

Doubt there's a day one patch, it's been out for ages in japan.

Top Bottom