• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You ever not play a game simply because its a dead series now….

Jesb

Like I absolutely loved Deus ex Human revolution. But after they killed that series off I never got to play mankind divided. Despite how much I loved the game before that the death of the franchise just killed it for me.

IAmRei

Like I absolutely loved Deus ex Human revolution. But after they killed that series off I never got to play mankind divided. Despite how much I loved the game before that the death of the franchise just killed it for me.
it's awful too see this, DEHR is my fave game too.

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t really recall any cases. If anything I guess I’m in the opposite camp. If they kill/have killed a franchise I enjoy I’ll happily take anything ‘new’ that’s still left to experience.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Nah, I actually replayed Mankind Divided a year ago despite knowing that it lacks proper conclusion. It's a great game to play and great world to experience and I wouldn't recommend taking a pass.
Yeah, Mankind is great and it’s just unfortunate Deus Ex is done.

Also, Prey is amazing and everyone should play it.

Allandor

Not really. Only if I know the game has an open ending and needs a successor.
Every game should always have a story that is complete on its own.
Man ... Mass effect Andromeda.... I really hoped they would at least release a dlc that completes the loose ends at the end of the game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nope. I quite like knowing that it's a closed loop and there isn't a sequel that does the same thing only better waiting in the wings.

elhav

To me the franchise itself matters little. It's all about the game itself and the developer team. You can make a new franchise with similar mechanics and game design, and it can be just as good, and even refreshing to have a new world and lore.

For example, I really like Zelda games, but I like Okami better than most of them. They have a lot of similarities. One is a huge franchise and one is basically 2 games. If Nintendo stopped making Zelda games and instead made something different that feels Zelda, it would be completely fine with me.

Franchises usually breed stagnation, and rarely add to the quality of a game. The biggest strength of franchises lies in marketability and bigger revenue potential for the publishers

Last edited:
I am like this. Despite really liking Dishonored back in the day I have never touched Prey and probably never will.

What does Prey have to do with Dishonored? They are not connected. Dishonored's story is finished and so is Prey's even tho in Prey's case, they could have made a sequel based on the ending. Prey is an amazing game and ure missing out on the best and true successor of System Shock.

Last edited:
Nah, I actually replayed Mankind Divided a year ago despite knowing that it lacks proper conclusion. It's a great game to play and great world to experience and I wouldn't recommend taking a pass.

Just like Bloodlines, everytime someone mentions MD or HR I feel like replaying both. Amazing atmospheres. We really dont get these kind of games anymore.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nope.
If a good game exists in the series Ill play it even if I might never get a sequel or whatever.

Kurotri

What does Prey have to do with Dishonored? They are not connected. Dishonored's story is finished and so is Prey's even tho in Prey's case, they could have made a sequel based on the ending. Prey is an amazing game and ure missing out on the best and true successor of System Shock.
I mentioned Dishonored because it's another immersive sim like it and by all means I should have checked it out because of that. So Prey doesn't have a sequel bait ending? I should get around it then, I heard somewhere that it was supposed to be a series and they canned plans after it didn't do well critically.

So Prey doesn't have a sequel bait ending?

Without spoiling the ending its in the form of a, continue the fight, so in a way it does feel like they wanted to do something more on a grander scale but couldnt. However as is, its not an ending that will sour your mood knowing there wont be a Prey 2. No reason to avoid it. I've played it 4 times.

apps.56157.69770094321843106.9965ae9b-d506-4101-bdf9-ed9f4123e05f.4c6254ce-1d83-49db-aa2f-7ec2a10fa90e

Still haven't played it, even though I really want to.
Played the first one, it's excellent (Insanely good presentation).
But knowing that this series ended after 2, makes me bummed out to the point I don't even want to taste another probably excellent game. Because I know I will want more, and won't get it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Naw, I’d still play because chances are they’d just fuck up the newer entries anyway. The dev pool ain’t what it used to be,

Last edited:

Švejk

Not sure if this counts, but after reading the massive disappointment Shenmue 3 was, I refused to play it, even after supporting the KS fully .. Wanted to leave the good memories as they were.

I kinda don't have an urge to revisit Half-Life games ever again, because I know it'll never be concluded.

That's odd to me. A great game is a great game no? Didn't they add to the story not that long ago with hl alyx. I guarantee you the freeman narrative will continue at some point.

Pelao

I've played so many games with cliffhanger endings that never received sequels that at this point I don't care. If the gameplay is good, I'll play it.

Top Bottom