• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Human Revolution vs Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Which is the better game?

• Total voters
Mankind Divided story wise was unfinished and it was quite a technical pos at launch but visually and gameplay wise I think its vastly superior to the first game. The prison dlc is awesome. Soundtrack both equal. People are just pissy about it being unfinished so they will automatically prefer HR as they usually do with most games.

I didn't play HR at launch, what was the problem with the boss fights?

The game was designed to be played from start to finish stealthily except for some stupid/odd decision regarding the boss fights. Some ppl were screwed cuz they didnt bring any weapons with them in said fights and it just kinda felt wrong to go guns blazing when u played the entire game like a freaking ghost, which I also did.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Love both games but Mankind Divided a bit better in terms of immersion and atmosphere. Revolution had the better story. Still though, way more to do in MD. Doing another playthrough at the moment. Loved sneaking into the Palasade Bank (can get in from a hidden door on the fountain structure in Prague..) hack the patrol bots, loot the bank vaults, gather damning evidence against the company, then sneak out. Good fun. Game runs excellent now. For those that haven't played much of Mankind Divided, I highly recommend you give it a chance. Take your time, it'll pull you in. That said, really wish there was another Deus Ex in the works. I understand one in the works may have been cancelled?

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Are the boss fights in Human Revolution really as bad as everyone says or was that just the opinion back in 2011?

That was always the thing that steered me away from it. I know they were tweaked for the director's cut, but all I have is the base version digitally via Xbox BC. Are they really not as bad as everyone says? If so then maybe Ill finally give it a full shot.

I played through MD and had a decent time, but that "Augmented Lives Matter" bullshit was embarrassing as all hell.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Are the boss fights in Human Revolution really as bad as everyone says or was that just the opinion back in 2011?

That was always the thing that steered me away from it. I know they were tweaked for the director's cut, but all I have is the base version digitally via Xbox BC. Are they really not as bad as everyone says? If so then maybe Ill finally give it a full shot.

I played through MD and had a decent time, but that "Augmented Lives Matter" bullshit was embarrassing as all hell.
They're really not, it was massively overblown, but they're by far the worst part of the game.

MD's story was embarrassing, I agree. It really killed the game for me because a strong story/atmosphere is so critical to this series. But the gameplay and level design enhancements over HR were real as people said.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
They're really not, it was massively overblown, but they're by far the worst part of the game.

MD's story was embarrassing, I agree. It really killed the game for me because a strong story/atmosphere is so critical to this series. But the gameplay and level design enhancements over HR were real as people said.

Yup, agree with everyone about the main hub in Prague being awesome. I love wide, dense areas like that with the various apartments and buildings to find ways into. Some real good snooping around sidequests there too.

Goddamn you guys always do such a good job of indirectly convincing me to reinstall stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yup, agree with everyone about the main hub in Prague being awesome. I love wide, dense areas like that with the various apartments and buildings to find ways into. Some real good snooping around sidequests there too.

Goddamn you guys always do such a good job of convincing me to reinstall stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If you haven't played HR yet you should, it's really great.

intbal

Mankind Divided was the sequel, the only one available on modern consoles. Such a shame Human Revolution didn't get a barebones port at the very least.
Human Revolution is available on Xbox through BC.
It's not enhanced, but it is available. The first version can be purchased digitally or played with the original disc. The Director's Cut version is disc-only.

SkylineRKR

I liked HR more. But MD had some improvements done to augments and builds, as well as level design. HR was more complete and had more variety though.

MD is kind of unfinished, they cut it in half but then its supposed sequel was axed anyway.

SimTourist

HR had better level and setting variety, it felt like a big and long journey, especially going up that tower overlooking the city, I last played it like 10 years ago but still remember some of the locations and quests, MD I finished last year and don't remember much aside from the industrial facility in the end. Also felt like ghosting HR was more smooth and I never felt locked out of it because of some unfortunate upgrades choices.

I fucking loved this game. Played it back in 2011, i think it out for a year at that point and it was my goty

Same here!!

For me despite it's flaws Human Revolution was a better game - story wise it was above and beyond, Mankind Divided had better gameplay, graphics and and maybe level design (don't remember much tbh, only awesome main hub and the end of the game)- but story wise it felt like a filler, then bam, huge cliffhanger at the end when things got interesting and it wasn't more of the same. A bummer.

HR wasn't a graphics powerhouse at the day of the release but story wise, stealth and other stuff were pretty solid outside boss fights - and had good optimization. And guess what it was despite it's flaws and despite not pushing graphics boundaries a very very good game. I enjoyed it very very much at the day of the release, as I am a huge fan of stealth games and immersive sims. It felt like a complete package, and I remember it much fondly than MD.

Maybe if Eidos stayed with the same formula aka not pushing top-notch graphics and improved only level design, gameplay and focused more on the story then MD could be considered a success, with more compact budget etc but who am I kidding Square Enix always had blown-out expectations about sales. But maybe just maybe. MD also had performance issues.

Then after CDPR released Cyberpunk 2077 and later down the road patched it, I though to myself hey maybe we will get more Deus Ex if the cyberpunk genre is this popular with SSDs and stuff they easily could make it feel more open world- even if semi-open design or go balls deep on an open world.

Then Embracer Group happened and they cancelled new Deus Ex game. So yeah, it was just my positive thinking in the end.

My two cents or maybe three, I have come to deep understanding that stealth or immersive sims are pretty niche through out the years. They had pretty good beginnings in 1998, smooth sailing around 2004/2005, peaked around maybe 2011/2013, then it was a bit of decline and it's radio silence from around 2016- when some games like Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 tried to push graphics boundaries - it kinda didn't work out that well or sell that well. Maybe a bit simpler graphics, good art direction or aesthetics could make this games more profitable but it would have to be taken into account around pre-production phase, and this games could be profitable if they would be design with this in mind, and more compact budgets. But I don't see this happening any time soon with big publishers - but I'm hope I'm wrong.

Indie scene is pretty good place for immersive sims and stealth games, I think.

Last edited:

Regginator

Human Revolution is available on Xbox through BC.
It's not enhanced, but it is available. The first version can be purchased digitally or played with the original disc. The Director's Cut version is disc-only.

I should've said modern Sony consoles (PS4/5). I wish they'd have something like what Xbox has, I would've loved to play PS360 era games with better performance on newer hardware.

HR had a better story but I liked MD better. The only thing I really hated about MD was how at a certain point you had to keep sneaking in and out of your house because of the cops. That was so damn. I would save up my cloaking energy just so I could quickly get to and from my home.

Then where are the great indie immersive sims or stealth games ? I think immersive sims need complex 3D environments, it cost money.
Indie stuff:

Non-paid stuff:

More complex stuff AA maybe AAA:

We will see how this sells and maybe Judas. Doesn't seem like they are pushing top graphics tbh with Clockwork Revolution- but other times it looks pretty good, some cool physics etc. So maybe it falls within compact budget category and will actually be profitable- I'm curious.

But if non-paid modders can do pretty good mod - I don't see why indie scene with it's boomer shooters/retro shooters renaissance can't have a stealth/immersive sims retro style games tbh. Would love for these types of games to have a place in the indie scene.

Last edited:

Arachnid

A lot of people came to prefer Mankind Divided for its improvements on level design, after the initial disappointment on the story part.

I think HR was the biggest effort but MD achieved a superior level of refinement in gameplay and atmopshere.

But really the whole setting of MD just feels like they did HR again, with downscaled stakes, introducing some plot points just to leave them to die (like the whole thing about Jensen losing his memory), we're left with some side quests with (imo) a questionable level of writing. It's a shame the franchise died like. And at the same time i really like to replay Mankind Divided, it's clearly not as impactful as the first but fuck i like the atmosphere of this game.
Agreed on all points. I prefer HR though just because it at least feels like a complete game.

Also, if I remember correctly, Jensen losing his memory was resolved. The real Jensen died in HR when the base got claimed by the ocean. You can find his corpse in a vault at the bank. You play as a clone in MD.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points. I prefer HR though just because it at least feels like a complete game.

Also, if I remember correctly, Jensen losing his memory was resolved. The real Jensen died in HR when the base got claimed by the ocean. You can find his corpse in a vault at the bank. You play as a clone in MD.

I think the way it was set up and what they most likely wanted the story to end was that you were always a clone, even in the first game. It's why you were also perfect for the augs, because thats how you were cloned to be. WOuld've been some nice twists if Eidos didnt screw us.

Boss Mog

Hard to judge objectively since Mankind Divided was only half of the game we were supposed to get.

It's a shame the gunplay in both is so terrible, it almost forces you to play stealth to avoid it. If they had great gunplay like Cyberpunk they would be truly extraordinary games.

Eidos Montreal said they wanted the next Deus Ex game to exceed Cyberpunk 2077. It's a shame we won't get to see it because of Embracer's incompetence.

Arachnid

I think the way it was set up and what they most likely wanted the story to end was that you were always a clone, even in the first game. It's why you were also perfect for the augs, because thats how you were cloned to be. WOuld've been some nice twists if Eidos didnt screw us.
That would actually be a fucking INSANE twist. If every protagonist, even from HR, are just clones pumped out for work by a corporation. That is some proper Cyberpunk themed dread. It would keep with the theme of the Dentons being Jensen's clone. Pretty fucking dark if we've never even played as the original and he's just a corpse kept on ice pumping out clones over the centuries.

delfrickintree

Gold Member
That would actually be a fucking INSANE twist. If every protagonist, even from HR, are just clones pumped out for work by a corporation. That is some proper Cyberpunk themed dread. It would keep with the theme of the Dentons being Jensen's clone. Pretty fucking dark if we've never even played as the original and he's just a corpse kept on ice pumping out clones over the centuries.
It would literally be a deus ex machina plot twist, which would probably feel cheap after all these years.

Švejk

MD looked great, but the gameplay seemed to be geared to favor more run and gun abilities than stealth.

But worst of all, the story was obviously cut for a follow up... Still waiting.

HR was simply amazing from start to finish.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked HR a lot more. Just the world and area designs. Having to make your way to the upper sphere in HR just captured what I love about stealth and progression. Loved that part of the game.

Human Revolution is one of the greatest games ever made, MD was decent but it lost its magic, soundtrack isn’t as good, the story and characters aren’t as good, locations aren’t as good, it doesn’t feel as cyberpunk, the art style is significantly worse, in the first game it’s incredibly detailed and unique, the second game just seems so uninspired, even the tranquilizer gun is a regular boring looking pistol.

I hate that embracer group owns this IP.

Boss Mog

Goddamn you guys always do such a good job of indirectly convincing me to reinstall stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Do it and get the "A Criminal Past" DLC while you're at it, it's probably dirt cheap. It's one of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. If you like Prison Break, then you'll love this DLC:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Do it and get the "A Criminal Past" DLC while you're at it, it's probably dirt cheap. It's one of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. If you like Prison Break, then you'll love this DLC:

I just checked and I guess at some point I bought this DLC and just never played it lol

Need to remedy that

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
HR is my favorite. MD still looks good tho. I hope Nightdive gets to remaster the original so its playable on consoles

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think the atmosphere and time frame when Human Revolution came out just can't be matched. MD was okay, but the atmosphere was totally different.

End of Summer 2011 with Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim coming up in the Fall. Yeah that was quite a different atmosphere alright lol

Man 7th gen was so damn good

Also side note - Human Revolution Directors Cut used for 360 is nothing less than $58. Checked Amazon and Ebay. Hot damn what'd they press, 40 copies?

Hero_Select

Same here!!

For me despite it's flaws Human Revolution was a better game - story wise it was above and beyond, Mankind Divided had better gameplay, graphics and and maybe level design (don't remember much tbh, only awesome main hub and the end of the game)- but story wise it felt like a filler, then bam, huge cliffhanger at the end when things got interesting and it wasn't more of the same. A bummer.

HR wasn't a graphics powerhouse at the day of the release but story wise, stealth and other stuff were pretty solid outside boss fights - and had good optimization. And guess what it was despite it's flaws and despite not pushing graphics boundaries a very very good game. I enjoyed it very very much at the day of the release, as I am a huge fan of stealth games and immersive sims. It felt like a complete package, and I remember it much fondly than MD.

Maybe if Eidos stayed with the same formula aka not pushing top-notch graphics and improved only level design, gameplay and focused more on the story then MD could be considered a success, with more compact budget etc but who am I kidding Square Enix always had blown-out expectations about sales. But maybe just maybe. MD also had performance issues.

Then after CDPR released Cyberpunk 2077 and later down the road patched it, I though to myself hey maybe we will get more Deus Ex if the cyberpunk genre is this popular with SSDs and stuff they easily could make it feel more open world- even if semi-open design or go balls deep on an open world.

Then Embracer Group happened and they cancelled new Deus Ex game. So yeah, it was just my positive thinking in the end.

My two cents or maybe three, I have come to deep understanding that stealth or immersive sims are pretty niche through out the years. They had pretty good beginnings in 1998, smooth sailing around 2004/2005, peaked around maybe 2011/2013, then it was a bit of decline and it's radio silence from around 2016- when some games like Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 tried to push graphics boundaries - it kinda didn't work out that well or sell that well. Maybe a bit simpler graphics, good art direction or aesthetics could make this games more profitable but it would have to be taken into account around pre-production phase, and this games could be profitable if they would be design with this in mind, and more compact budgets. But I don't see this happening any time soon with big publishers - but I'm hope I'm wrong.

Indie scene is pretty good place for immersive sims and stealth games, I think.
The game came out of nowhere to me and I know a lot of people hated the piss-filter but I love how the game presented itself. Especially when you get to
China

I really gotta give Mankind Divided a playthrough, I never played it more than a couple hrs.

Loved Human Revolution and liked Mankind Divided. I just felt the story of MD didn't feel finished. Both games are great though it just sucks that we won't get a sequel.

SkylineRKR

Directors Cut kind of sucks I think.

Because it force feeds this mission that happens when you are placed into a container for transport. It brings the pacing down, even though the mission itself isn't bad, its better as stand alone.

Top Bottom