• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your controversial gaming opinions in regards to the state of the gaming industry

diffusionx

Gold Member
PC is not nearly as attractive as it used to be. The price of hardware is out of control. GAF is totally out of touch on this because everyone has a $1800 rig they upgrade every year. Steam sales are mostly lame. Using it with a TV instead of a monitor still kind of sucks. I know a lot of people point to the handheld PCs as some sort of new era for the platform, but all that tells me is that people still would rather be playing videogames on a console. The Steam Deck is the most console-like PC ever made.

AI is NOT going to speed up game development, any more than any other tool tht was said to make development faster and cheaper actually did so. Because the standards for a game keep going up. If every dev can use AI, then what you have is a new floor while the ceiling will get that much higher.

That is my point, the boomer gamer crowd would never buy the game and would play it on gamepass while having used some gamepass payment exploit to get it cheaper.
Actually, the boomer crowd would buy it on physical only or it doesn’t count.

The millennials are the ones looking for discounts (me).

The Zoomers are too busy watching pewdiepie (or equivalent) play the game on YouTube/Twitch.

The Alphas are watching the ads to get extra energy for their F2P.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My hot take: not a single internet gaming journalist/commentator/influencer who has any sort of financial stake in doing so can be fully trusted, and gamers are way more swayed by them than they realize which makes it way too easy for gamers to be riled up by rumors, articles or the like.
I don't think that's the dynamic. Content creators make what their audience wants. They're the @$$ of the organism, not the head.

MrMephistoX

MHT?

AI will make development of ancillary stuff in gaming like backgrounds, textures and trees and the code base much easier. Game development will get cheaper and require fewer grunt developers, animators, testers etc performing high volume repetitive tasks but this will also make it easier for creatives to achieve their vision with better tools.

Think of it like the film industry where AVID eliminated the need for workers who developed and manually sliced film or CGI replacing some model workers and set builders.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The constant talk about how “toxic” the gaming community is is nonsense. It is no more “toxic” than it was in the 90s. People have just grown increasingly soft and instead of taking advantage of basic features such as mute and block, they endlessly cry about it and want companies to take control instead of taking the two seconds to fix the problem themselves, creating more issues for gaming as a whole.

Souls games aren’t hard, you just suck.

AI usage is objectively good for the industry and people endlessly cry about how “artists will lose their jobs!” - Quite frankly that is a good thing. There are too many “artists” who are utter trash. Just look at the majority of the DEI hires across the industry.

Those who try and promote GAAS games are the single most detrimental people in the industry, worse than Jack Thompson or the DEI nonsense that plagues major parts of western development.

diffusionx

Gold Member
MHT?

AI will make development of ancillary stuff in gaming like backgrounds, textures and trees and the code base much easier. Game development will get cheaper and require fewer grunt developers, animators, testers etc performing high volume repetitive tasks but this will also make it easier for creatives to achieve their vision with better tools.

Think of it like the film industry where AVID eliminated the need for workers who developed and manually sliced film or CGI replacing some model workers and set builders.
And yet movies are more expensive to make than ever even with CGI slop that often looks like total shit. We are at the point when visionary creatives are using less CGI not more.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Is this controversial? Nintendo is the only company ready to thrive after the gaming implosion that's on the verge of happening. They're the proverbial cockroaches that eat fallout like:
Cookie Monster Eating GIF by Sesame Street

DKPOWPOW

4k is a waste of time. 1080p TVs are great. Anything more than a 50 inch TV is excessive anyways.

Bluetooth sucks and controllers are better off hardwired.

Nintendo was right to slow walk tech. The chase after better and better grfx is consolidating the industry, and crippling it.

Installing games sucks and I hate hard drives and updates. Why did you all have to turn our consoles into fucking mini PC's you dumb sons of bitches.

Motion controls should be standard and I love the Wii. Fuck this headset shit, just give us the controllers and the games.

You dumb ass gamers are ruining the industry with all the fucking whining and have stifled creativity.

Most everything plays the fucking same and now Im stuck with Nintendo for life.

Peace.

Toons

I don't think that's the dynamic. Content creators make what their audience wants. They're the @$$ of the organism, not the head.

Its a cycle. Content creators goal is to grow, by design. They arent keen to just stop things at their already present base, because once you stagnatw you're already on the path to irrelevance.

Yes, they keep aware of trends and find what a few are talking about but content creators have to give the topics a push, and water it down enough to hit the mainstream. They will go from topic to topic perpetuating or creating narratives and controversies(csn be positive talking points, or negative ones, can be true, or not true, doesn't matter) and monetizing engagement with those points.

We just saw a guy get exposed for pretending to be an Asian woman on an alt account despite already having a reputation IIRC. He did this for engagement to a community he wasn't reaching otherwise.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
Meta are the only ones keeping VR from dying.
Xbox will still exist despite becoming a publisher.
Nintendo will commit massive blunders like in the past.
PS6 won't reach PS5 levels of hype.

MrMephistoX

And yet movies are more expensive to make than ever even with CGI slop that often looks like total shit. We are at the point when visionary creatives are using less CGI not more.
It’s also easier than ever for anyone to get into filmmaking with just an iPhone. The same ease of use really hasn’t happened for games development and AI could facilitate this. Graphics are at a point of diminishing returns so once it becomes less labor intensive to produce them it will open game making at a high quality level up to more creative people. For experienced creators like Miyamoto and Kojima they can focus more on developing cool gameplay and design and less about the technology used to produce it. Could they code back in the 80’s using old languages? Probably? Can they even render an object as complex as a cardboard box today? Probably not but they’re directors they don’t have to know every detail of how something is being done they just know how to hire the right people to do the hard work to bring their creative vision to life.

Last edited:

Embearded

1. Nintendo makes the same games for the last 20+ years. Boring, repetitive and extremely expensive for what they are.

2. MGS4 is possibly the best video game ever made.

3. TLoU is a fantastic franchise and both games have a good balance between gameplay and cinematics. The story is one of the best out there.

4. We don't need Pro consoles.

Zathalus

The game industry as a whole is fine, while individual sections (Xbox, AAA, GaaS) might have some issues but the medium is more then a single platform or experience and can weather whatever is thrown at it.

The complaints about DEI or woke in games are dominating most discussions, it’s funny that people used to say the purple forum was known for the amount of reeeee that occurs when far more of that is happening about the evil woke boogeyman.

Games should include accessibility options as much as possible, yes even From games. Disable online if you must but allowing those with less physical capability to enjoy games is a good thing. The game isn’t sacrosanct, trainers exist on PC and yet life goes on.

Last edited:

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
It's absolutely inconceivable to me how people can not mention, or even defend, the absolute hilarity of the Switch hardware performance. Not commenting on the quality of the software, but if your system is so fucking weak that your customers are supposed to stomach sub 30fps stutter fests all while rendering at sub native res at the same time, obviously you're full of contempt for them. The argument "gameplay over graphics" is a total strawman the moment the performance is so bad it actually hinders the enjoyment of a game. Nintendo getting away with this much shit can only be explained by a sizeable portion of their loyal customers being total brain dead weeabo idiots.

Edit: Let me get this across even better: The Series S performs leagues better than the Switch every single time, yet it's this box that gets attacked for its performance issues, which makes everything even funnier. I absolutely don't care if one of those can be used as a handheld, that doesn't increase your shitty 21fps.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
1. Nintendo makes the same games for the last 20+ years. Boring, repetitive and extremely expensive for what they are.

2. MGS4 is possibly the best video game ever made.

3. TLoU is a fantastic franchise and both games have a good balance between gameplay and cinematics. The story is one of the best out there.

4. We don't need Pro consoles.
1. yep. they're not for me, either (for the most part), but, hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. how can you blame them?...
2. just replayed it last week! & you're not wrong! crazy amazing brilliant!...
3. love the original, hate the sequel. & i mean, really hate. should've either been one & done, or all new cast, imo...
4. hell, yes! especially when you consider the very real possibility of having more versions of your console in a generation (2) than original games from some of your developers to play on them (1)...

Fredrik

I don't care about 98% of the topics posted here. If the entire gaming industry died tonight and I was stuck with what I currently own and had access to emulators, I'd be fine.
Tbh, same here. Just let me buy the Elden Ring expansion real quick first.

My Steam backlog is huge and I still have all my old consoles and a bunch of Commodore computers.
It’s okay.

It would be unfortunate to not get to play The Elder Scrolls VI and the next 2.5D Metroid and Gears of War E-Day. But I would never have to quit gaming.

I despise the joy cons. Hands down the worst console controller of all time IMO. I think that's fair to argue considering the year it released and Nintendo's history. A console that requires you to buy a 'classic controller' is total bollocks.
As someone who only got a Switch last year, the controller is insanely shit. They feel like some cheap third party shit and the overall design is bafflingly terrible. Why are the sticks so fat and short and wonky!?

odhiex

Linux gaming needs to be popular, Steam (PC) to run on Android devices (someday).

I want (most) PC games running on the smartphones/tablets lol. That's controversial enough?

Plus: Cloud gaming will never becomes mainstream. At least not in my lifetime.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s too many games being released. There was a time when you could read a magazine once a month and be better informed about the whole industry than anyone who simply played games. Today there’s no way to be a gaming expert. More games come out in a year than there used to be released on any given platform in a whole generation.

Most games are bloated. Too many tutorials, too many weapons and items, too many stats and variables, too many skills. Most games outstay their welcome by being way longer than they need be.

The core gamers market made a huge mistake by rejecting motion controls in their entirety in favor of a control scheme that’s been essentially the same for three decades. Only to add extra paddles to their controllers or buy $200 “elite” controllers that stick drift just as the regular ones. And nobody ever liked clicking in a stick to perform an extra action that somehow can’t be mapped to any of the dozen other buttons on a standard controller.

Too many publishers are willing to spend money to beat industry leaders at their own game by competing with established multiplayer behemots, instead of letting devs do original stuff. If your attempt to overthrow the current market leader crashes and burns, as it’s most likely, nobody will remember your product next month. Releasing original stuff would be a better way to waste money, and it would probably cost less in the end. And it could headstart a new wave of original games.

Oof85

Sony peaked with Ico/SOTC on ps2 in terms of in-house developed titles and in the 18 years since, has never even sniffed that same air or come close.
Them shutting down Japan Studio ensures they'll never do so again, because their western studios is what glazed them but the mechanical craft appreciation just isn't there.

Microsoft will never be THE choice for many, just because everything they create screams it comes from a PC background.

Nothing wrong with that, but the greater overall console history was built on Japanese design sensibilities and Microsoft just doesn't even have hints of that.

Them closing Tango just solidifies it.

Nintendo is by far the best developer of the big three and the only thing that's really holding them back is their adherence to popular ip.

If they push for a new Splatoon tier ip every other year, the skies the limit.

The Sweetbaby and dei pushback is ugly and small-minded and it's naysayers hopefully will look back on their vitriol with shame.

Resetera moderation is what makes that forum so problematic, and it's darkly ironic how it's come to be.

Last edited:
1.) AI will not be the salvation to developers that they think it will be.

2.) Gamepass / Apple Arcade is not the way forward for any gaming platform. Netflix of gaming is not sustainable, by itself.

3.) GOOGLE STADIA was partially correct with their theory of streaming games. The technology is still years off.

4.) Nintendo does a better job at listening to fans now, but it still is not as good as it should be. ”Nintendo gonna Nintendo”

5.) Over sexualization, microtransactions, and focus on graphics have damaged the industry for over a decade.

6.) FANS MAY NOT KNOW THE NUMBERS OR BUSINESS, BUT THEY SEEM TO KNOW THE WAY FORWARD FOR GAMING BETTER THAN THE COMPANIES ANS EXECUTIVES DO!

7.) Games on the whole are not as fun as they once were! The industry has lost how to make games “FUN”.

8.) MS has great ideas and then always manages to screw it up. It is amazing.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Xbox shadowdropped Hi-Fi Rush in the hope they'd have a ready made excuse to close Tango. The success delayed the closure. Bethesda was not bought for Tango. The studio closed a year later and it wasn't working on a new game. The question is what were they doing for a year?

anthony2690

Games are better than ever.
I've played some of my fave games over the last few years.
A year later I am still playing street fighter 6 nearly every day :D

Mobilemofo

The industry needs reform. It's grown so big and unruly, it's become a fuckin joke. It's not like anybody can say, well, the growth came out of nowhere. If we don't, there will be another crash, and we have learnt nothing.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
The 3 manufacturers fear Sega's return.
October is the deadline for something or nothing.
you read it here first

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
There’s too many games being released. There was a time when you could read a magazine once a month and be better informed about the whole industry than anyone who simply played games. Today there’s no way to be a gaming expert. More games come out in a year than there used to be released on any given platform in a whole generation.

Most games are bloated. Too many tutorials, too many weapons and items, too many stats and variables, too many skills. Most games outstay their welcome by being way longer than they need be.

The core gamers market made a huge mistake by rejecting motion controls in their entirety in favor of a control scheme that’s been essentially the same for three decades. Only to add extra paddles to their controllers or buy $200 “elite” controllers that stick drift just as the regular ones. And nobody ever liked clicking in a stick to perform an extra action that somehow can’t be mapped to any of the dozen other buttons on a standard controller.

Too many publishers are willing to spend money to beat industry leaders at their own game by competing with established multiplayer behemots, instead of letting devs do original stuff. If your attempt to overthrow the current market leader crashes and burns, as it’s most likely, nobody will remember your product next month. Releasing original stuff would be a better way to waste money, and it would probably cost less in the end. And it could headstart a new wave of original games.
I just watched a video that popped up on my YT feed about "15 Recent Metroidvanias You Should Play" and I never heard of like 13 of them. But most of them were "Metroidvania + Soulslike" rollslop and parryshit so I can ignore. Still, yea, it's just impossible to keep up.

It's weird that I can play Splatoon with gyro but if I want to play hArDcOrE Call of Duty on Xbox I need to play it like I did on my 360 in 2007.

I also think a lot of these companies making live service games are in for a world of hurt. Apex will still do fine, Fortnite will still do fine, but for all the new stuff, fact is, none of these publishers know what makes these games catch on and what makes them die on the vine. It's basically random.

So yea, good points, all.

Last edited:
Considering how many people slob the knob of this studio, and it's main games, this is controversial. Naughty Dog pretty much ruined modern gaming.

The Last of Us 1 and 2, and Uncharted, were a cancer to gaming. Because it convinced a bunch of people that watching a oscar winning/bait movie, and going "Let's make this in game form" and releasing it to the world, is enough for the world to consider your thing literally the greatest game ever made.

It doesn't matter if it's mediocre or not, it doesn't matter if the gameplay is actually FUNCTIONAL or not (This doesn't apply to TLOU, but to games that followed on its footsteps), if it actually was made by people who care about video games or by wannabe movie directors too hack to make it into the movie industry. Nothing matters besides, it look shiny, we got Troy Baker or people just as pretentious or famous as he is, and look the cinematics! It look just like movie!

Naughty Dog indirectly birthed God of War 2018. Oscar bait trash.

It birthed Red Dead Redemption 2, literally one of the most disgustingly awful VIDEO GAMES ever made. BUT IT LOOK SHINY THOUGH, but look at horse balls though! But movie-like acting though.

I'm sorry if this sounds elitists from my part, but I want games to be made by people who actually care about video games, and love video games. And aren't just looking for a cheap Oscar, or desperately trying to make a movie.

Top Bottom