• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

I almost wonder if they weren't planning on localising them at all and Horii said this publicly to force their hand into doing so.

Horii has a lot of sway with SE so maybe that was a way for him to get something going. However I would bet this was being planned as a big DQ announcement with Nintendo. He might have just spoken a bit to soon.

Hugstable

Banned
I know alot won't agree with me, but if they bring 8 over, I hope they keep the original menu stuff and not the menus they used for the western ps2 release. I just never really liked the way they looked an love the plain black box with white border thing. Plus I was kinda upset when the box with all the names and HP status during a fight cut off the top of a bosses head in the first person mode.

Teknoman

I'd probably grab DQVII 3DS...but I dunno about VIII. I actually liked how all battles were random aside from unique monsters. That and the beautiful cel shading + crazy voice acting.

I knew I should've sat down with DQVII on PS1 already. Started my playthrough long ago, but got lost and never restarted.

Christian

Square Enix has backed me into a corner, to the point where I feel like I NEED to buy Dragon Quest VIII for the series' future welfare in the West. I'm not impressed with the port in the least, but I love DQ and want to see it do well. What a conundrum.

Eusis

I know alot won't agree with me, but if they bring 8 over, I hope they keep the original menu stuff and not the menus they used for the western ps2 release. I just never really liked the way they looked an love the plain black box with white border thing. Plus I was kinda upset when the box with all the names and HP status during a fight cut off the top of a bosses head in the first person mode.
I wouldn't be surprised if it were left alone this time. They tried to compromise more between modernizing and tradition with later releases, and many of the additions are either there from the start or similar stand ins put in. Never mind a bombastic overhaul is better saved for a higher end game meant to stand in the AAA realm versus a handheld port of a decade old (holy shit) game.

... And if they didn't bother with that on mobile why do so for 3DS localization?

This thread has gone places...

Anyway, good to know. Hashimoto trolls the fans, Horii trolls the company =P

Hopefully it'll get announced properly in a Nintendo Direct or something. I doubt they'll be out this year though =X

Joqu

This thread has gone places...

Anyway, good to know. Hashimoto trolls the fans, Horii trolls the company =P

Hopefully it'll get announced properly in a Nintendo Direct or something. I doubt they'll be out this year though =X

Ideally they'll put one out this year with the other in the next year. They've had plenty of time to work on VII and VIII is practically finished outside of the new content so I could see it happening

Bitanator

Watching that video on the gameplay, it took a long time for battles to start, it was on a black screen for like 10 seconds, I hope that is fixed because that would annoy the shit out of me

Ideally they'll put one out this year with the other in the next year. They've had plenty of time to work on VII and VIII is practically finished outside of the new content so I could see it happening

Ideally...

But yeah, I hope that's what they do. Late 2015 for one, 2016 for the other.

NolbertoS

For the record I prefer random encounters for all DQ games, but since playing Tales of Symphonia with monsters on the field, I can see how some would prefer no more random encounters. Its too bad, SE can't add a random and monsters on field options when starting a DQ game.

Garraboa

I'll probably get both. I've never been into DQ, but DQ VII 3D looks gorgeous. And VIII out of principle. SE needs to give more of a damn about overseas fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom