• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

Fliesen

• The stealth attack will OHKO almost all enemies in the game (haven´t found any who survived) WITH ANY WEAPON. I killed a bunch of Yiga Blademasters this way using a not lit torch.

The official guide says a stealth attack is 4x (i think) regular damage.
So if the Yiga Blademasters get oneshotted by stealth attacking them with a torch, they're specifically coded to do so.
Just like they're coded to one-shot-kill(!) you without a fairy or
mipha's gift
popping.

Addi

Speaking of Yiga Clan, after the stealth section is done, go back into the hideout. In the second room (the one which had most guards) there are some nice orbs, but also an entrance to a secret room. You have to burn down one of the big "flags" on the wall (as in the entrance of the hideout). 600 rupees in there ;)

Travo

I thought this was the way to deal with them as designed by the devs. What should you do otherwise? Shoot them with an arrow?

That's what I thought, being conditioned to use arrows against the blocks just to get into the dungeon.

Efejota

The painter dude you (probably) first meet at Kakariko village will also be at the stable nearest to those locations, and point you towards them. Though I don't think there's one for the hyrule castle location.
He's in Lurelin Village's inn for that one.

spared

Use Cryonsis to disintegrate ice cubes
made by Waterblight Ganon

I did the same thing! Someone was watching me playing and they had a complete different way of dealing with it and they were just like OMG, IT WORKED! lol this game is freaking awesome!

Except you can take a regular weapon and leave it in water to make it a rusty weapon. This resets the weapon degredation as part of the transformation. So being able to make that now repaired rusty weapon unrusty lets you repair any metal weapon in the game.

That's amazing. Thanks!

Great stuff, thanks a lot!

I didn't even use any stealth potion or gear in the Yiga section.

First guard, wait till he passed by, glided to the rock middle. Climbed up. Let him walk around. Glided to the left of the door guard, stasis'd him, walked in.

Take ladder to banana room just to take the bananas for myself. Go back to the opening on the balcony, glide to boxes in front of door guard, stasis him, then run inside.

Only took me two tries cause of accidentally climbing things i didn't want to climb and didn't beat my stasis timer.

Hell even going into the Yiga area I was on the top of the cliffs the whole time. Whole segment was dirt easy

Except many people (myself included) get to that section before upgrading Stasis.

Campfire tricks:

Start a campfire to make the wind go up. User your glider to shoot in the sky. Good for supprise attacks.

When it rains and you dont want to wait find a dry spot. Start a campfire and just choose wait to skip the rain.

I think you need more than one campfire to create an updraft. Also making a campfire in the rain is hard as wet wood won't catch fire.

[*]All Shrines have at least 1 secret treasure chest. Once you beat a Shrine an icon next to it´s name will indicate if it has any chests left. Note that if you open a chest but don´t take it´s content (because you have a full inventory) the chest will not register as opened, the map will show it accordingly and you can go back and get the contents later. Edit: As Kain-Nosgoth pointed out below it´s actually the opposite: The Shrine will only show the chest icon when you find and get the contents of all chests inside the Shrine.

Wow, this is really useful too.

Wait, people didn't know this? It's literally on the screen as a button prompt.

Yeah, I'm puzzled about this. How can you know you can switch weapons and shields because there's a weapon and a shield on the sides of the d-pad, yet fail to notice the arrow when you equip a bow? My only explanation is that they're playing with the HUD off.

Subbing for future reference later. Funnily enough, I didn't know that guardian shields could reflect their beams until I had already wasted all my best weapons on fighting them, despite the fact that I had two[/] guardian shields in my inventory.

Wait, you mean reflecting them with a shield parry (which all shields can do), or actually reflecting by just raising the shield?

Tadaima

I didn't even use any stealth potion or gear in the Yiga section.

First guard, wait till he passed by, glided to the rock middle. Climbed up. Let him walk around. Glided to the left of the door guard, stasis'd him, walked in.

Take ladder to banana room just to take the bananas for myself. Go back to the opening on the balcony, glide to boxes in front of door guard, stasis him, then run inside.

Only took me two tries cause of accidentally climbing things i didn't want to climb and didn't beat my stasis timer.

Hell even going into the Yiga area I was on the top of the cliffs the whole time. Whole segment was dirt easy

I didn't use any stealth gear, potion, or techniques in the Yiga hideout. Except:

You can throw bananas and the clan members will be distracted and skip to them. Just walk behind them.

spared

Something that many people have asked me: unlike the Wii U Pro one, yes the Pro controller is motion-controlled enable as well! Very useful especially in Zelda, so you can do puzzles, bow aiming, etc using motion controls!

YoodlePro

Throwing a rusty weapon into a those baloon enemies (forgot their name) will net you a new weapon. They will chew on it and spit them out brand new. You can also repair damaged weapons that way.

Get outta here!!! No way that is for real.

I need to try this....

correojon

The official guide says a stealth attack is 4x (i think) regular damage.
So if the Yiga Blademasters get oneshotted by stealth attacking them with a torch, they're specifically coded to do so.
Just like they're coded to one-shot-kill(!) you without a fairy or
mipha's gift
popping.
Yeah, it may only work with Yiga Blademasters. I thought it worked with every enemy because after that I one shotted some Bokoblins in Eventide Island, but now that I think about it they were red ones so they didn´t have much health.

That's what I thought, being conditioned to use arrows against the blocks just to get into the dungeon.
I used Cryonis to get into the dungeon as well, that´s why using it against the boss was my first thought. When entering the dungeon you can destroy the blocks mid-air, but you can also create pilars in the water so the homing spikeballs crash into them and get destroyed. Every Divine Beast boss is vulnerable to a rune/basic skill:
  • Zora to Cryonis (the lead up is also easier using Cryonis).
  • Goron to bombs (the lead up requires bombs to use the cannons).
  • Gerudo to Magnesys (don´t know if magnesys can be used in any way during the lead up).
  • Rito to paraglider (the lead up is a long and awesome paragliding section).
Using them makes the fights much easier.

Piichan

Banned
Being able to move the camera around while talking to NPCs blew my mind. As far as I know, a first for Zelda games.

Getting a second jump with the shield surf starting animation is something I have found pretty useful occasionally, though I believe it willl slightly damage your shield.

Somnid

There's a loading screen that tells you this, but the slope the incline determines how much stamina you use. So while going straight up might seem like the best idea if you can move up a shallower incline you'll be able to climb further.

Red

How though? I parried the laser multiple times with shield and it never returned the laser to the enemy.
Parry as soon as the laser is focused (the guardian will shine blue for a moment—that's when to do it), and the game will enter a slow motion state, and a bright flash will appear when the beam hits your shield. That's how you know you've done it. Otherwise it may deflect, but your shield will take damage and the beam won't return to the guardian.

SomTervo

Anyone got tips for the flying guardians? Man they're a pain in the balls.

Use Cryonsis to disintegrate ice cubes
made by Waterblight Ganon

God DAMN!

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

This only works on one or two puzzles IIRC. Several of them have stuff on the underside so flipping it doesn't work.

They thought of everything.

I need to try this....

It's real.

I don't know how to trigger them to start sucking stuff in though? I've never had that happen. They just run away or fire rocks at me.

Anteo

It's real.

I don't know how to trigger them to start sucking stuff in though? I've never had that happen. They just run away or fire rocks at me.

Only works on death mountain.
Also only works on rusty weapons, they wont restore durability

I need to try this....

People neglect to mention this every time this comes up: it only works with the Octorok's on Death Mountain. I don't know why nobody mentions this. It makes me suspect they haven't tried it at all and are just repeating things they've read already.

The Death Mountain Octorocks inhale a massive vacuum of air that you can throw rusty weapons into. They will absorb it and shoot it back at you as a new weapon.

This is great, but it doesn't work on any other Octorok anywhere else in the game. You can't just do it anywhere.

chozen

n2JFVO7.gif

XaosWolf

Eventide Island spoilers:
Before you step on land and trigger the trial, you can drop a weapon. That weapon will still be there for you to pick up and use when they take all your items away from you.

Bear in mind for this that you will lose that weapon afterwards.
(Not that you should care too much because of durability but it's worth mentioning)

bigmac996

How though? I parried the laser multiple times with shield and it never returned the laser to the enemy.

I've done it with boko shields. You just need to get the timing right and you won't damage the shield at all. The beam will go right back to the guardian if done correctly. Just wait for the blue flash before they fire and hit parry.

correojon

You need to get the timing right, you can practice with the smaller guardians in shines as they´ll take less health from you if you fail. A parried laser can destroy stationary guardians in one hit, for walkers you´ll need to parry the laser 3 times.

People neglect to mention this every time this comes up: it only works with the Octorok's on Death Mountain. I don't know why nobody mentions this. It makes me suspect they haven't tried it at all and are just repeating things they've read already.

The Death Mountain Octorocks inhale a massive vacuum of air that you can throw rusty weapons into. They will absorb it and shoot it back at you as a new weapon.

This is great, but it doesn't work on any other Octorok anywhere else in the game. You can't just do it anywhere.
I think I´ve seen "sucker" Octoroks in other locations. There´s one in Eventide Island, just to the right were the raft is. I think it´s the only one of this type in the island.

(Not that you should care too much because of durability but it's worth mentioning)
Someone said that if drop the weapons again before completing the challenge you can pick them up again after the shrine appears.

Cloukyo

Banned
Parry as soon as the laser is focused (the guardian will shine blue for a moment—that's when to do it), and the game will enter a slow motion state, and a bright flash will appear when the beam hits your shield. That's how you know you've done it. Otherwise it may deflect, but your shield will take damage and the beam won't return to the guardian.

The parry window is huge, I do it when it's halfway through reaching me, usually stay away so once you see the beam pressing A will parry it easily

Holding your lit torch under apples in trees will fully bake them, then drop.

Why do these apples have so much TECHNOLOGY behind them!?

I've been climbing or jumping to get them and now I find out about all this?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I haven't tried this in particular, but if you drop the weapon before finishing the area, you will most likely be able to pick it up again. At least for stuf that dropped during the sequence this was possible.

ninjical

Neo Member
I'm sure this has been mentioned but man, I just love that I can hold a fire sword or a torch or something and it will bring my temperature up and melt snow/ice blocks with the ambient heat. Super cool.

Vaenyr

Haven't read the whole thread yet, don't know if it's mentioned already, but DON'T try to use the bomb arrows in the Death Mountain area, they'll blow up as soon as you draw them.
Quite a humiliating death really.

XaosWolf

Someone said that if drop the weapons again before completing the challenge you can pick them up again after the shrine appears.

I haven't tried this in particular, but if you drop the weapon before finishing the area, you will most likely be able to pick it up again. At least for stuf that dropped during the sequence this was possible.

Doubling down on weapon dropping! =D
I can't test this as I finished it long ago.

spared

When you're gliding and you're out of stamina, just before you hit the ground, press the paraglide button again - you'll have another chance as it will open up for a split-second and you'll be able to land safely (as long as you're under solid ground, of course!)

Top Bottom