• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

People are going to be really unhappy with the PS360 version when they discover it runs at like 24 FPS.

It won't be a surprise to anyone.

The significant part of all of this is how unambitious the current gen version is. The previous gen versions look very close, just at a lower res and framerate.

Portugeezer

Good to know dat PS4 power is being put to good use.

That said, I still expected more of a difference graphically between next-gen and last-gen versions, although 60fps and 1080p is a big difference in and of itself.

rezn0r

Not sure if you're serious or sarcastic but you could still use it as a exclusive box and some of the TV features should you live in NA. Around 90% of my PS3 retail games are exclusives with the other 10% or so being the extremely rare cases of multiplats being slightly better on PS3.

Exactly same deal here, and now it's flipped for this gen

I've always gotten certain series for certain platforms anyway, such as MGS & FF for Sony... so everything seems OK

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The bonus check for whoever at Microsoft convinced Respawn and EA to sign the TitanFall exclusivity deal just got a little bigger. I simply do not understand how anyone saw the specs of these two machines and thought the Xbone was superior.

You still didn't give me an example where a 720p deferred rendering game use more than 176GB/s bandwidth.

And you probably forgot that eSRAM badwidth is only 109GB/s, and can get to 204GB/s sometimes when you're doing simultaneous read and write from eSRAM.
I don't know if a certain game uses those 176GB/s of bandwidth. What I do know is that lighting in deferred engines is done through a R/W operation (you need to read the buffers, do some calculations on them and then write them back to memory) on the buffers, that those operations scale proportionally with the number of lights and that in case those buffers can be stored entirely on the Xbox One then the console has a 60GB/s advantage over the PS4 in terms of bandwidth.

Every light computed in a deferred engine heavily relies on multiple R/W operations on the memory, and that's where the XBOne eSram can achieve it's 200+ GB/s bandwidth.
You say you can't think of a 720p game that uses so much bandwidth, well then, a game that uses a deferred engine and has let's say 4 times as many light-sources as an equivalent 1080p game would use that much bandwidth.

Has a game like that been made? I don't know. But we are talking about theoretical approaches and not released products and of course to judge the graphical outcome of a generation of hardware based on games also released on past-generation hardware is not the best idea in my opinion.

Metfanant

I don't know if a certain game uses those 176GB/s of bandwidth. What I do know is that lighting in deferred engines is done through a R/W operation (you need to read the buffers, do some calculations on them and then write them back to memory) on the buffers, that those operations scale proportionally with the number of lights and that in case those buffers can be stored entirely on the Xbox One then the console has a 60GB/s advantage over the PS4 in terms of bandwidth.

Every light computed in a deferred engine heavily relies on multiple R/W operations on the memory, and that's where the XBOne eSram can achieve it's 200+ GB/s bandwidth.
You say you can't think of a 720p game that uses so much bandwidth, well then, a game that uses a deferred engine and has let's say 4 times as many light-sources as an equivalent 1080p game would use that much bandwidth.

Has a game like that been made? I don't know. But we are talking about theoretical approaches and not released products and of course to judge the graphical outcome of a generation of hardware based on games also released on past-generation hardware is not the best idea in my opinion.

sooooo basically, like everyone has been saying...youre pulling this stuff out of your ass...thanks for the clarification

“Look, I had a lot of time to think about this and I believe in what I said. I believe that the differences between the boxes [PS4 and Xbox One] is not all that great and I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people. Sometimes people tend to neglect the points that are in my favor and they like to highlight the points that tell me I am wrong." -Albert Penello

“I think if you look at the title which we launch, which were multiplatform titles. The bulk of them were the same. I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes. Everybody wants to focus on frame rate, there is Tomb Raider, there is a resolution thing going on and OK, there could be a lot of reasons why that could be true but we are just a [few] weeks in, we just shipped, it’s a long generation." - Albert Penello

"It's like, we're the movie theater that has all the blockbuster movies, and has the most screens, and then somebody has figured out that there's also another movie theater that has less screens but if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen. And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better." -Albert Penello

"Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…" -Albert Penello

Ironhorse

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to buying the game on PS4. I just wish a close friend of mine with whom I partake in online play would buy a PS4 (he only has an XB1).

w00zey

The bonus check for whoever at Microsoft convinced Respawn and EA to sign the TitanFall exclusivity deal just got a little bigger. I simply do not understand how anyone saw the specs of these two machines and thought the Xbone was superior.

Maybe they weren't going for superior specs and were going for audience and exclusive money?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This reminds me that they completely dropped the "cloud rendering" marketing talk after release. Maybe because it doesn't make any sense.

This was the point where Microsoft went downhill for me. It doesn't make me angry when a company makes an "underpowered" product. But this deliberate spreading of ridiculous falsehoods is beyond what anyone should accept as normal PR. The backfiring is well deserved.

rvy

Banned
“Look, I had a lot of time to think about this and I believe in what I said. I believe that the differences between the boxes [PS4 and Xbox One] is not all that great and I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people. Sometimes people tend to neglect the points that are in my favor and they like to highlight the points that tell me I am wrong." -Albert Penello

“I think if you look at the title which we launch, which were multiplatform titles. The bulk of them were the same. I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes. Everybody wants to focus on frame rate, there is Tomb Raider, there is a resolution thing going on and OK, there could be a lot of reasons why that could be true but we are just a [few] weeks in, we just shipped, it’s a long generation." - Albert Penello

"It's like, we're the movie theater that has all the blockbuster movies, and has the most screens, and then somebody has figured out that there's also another movie theater that has less screens but if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen. And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better." -Albert Penello

"Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…" -Albert Penello

They created DirectX, man.

driver116

CoD Ghosts

CxrXOli.png

Tomb Raider DE

mZSs0E2.png

Fox News of gaming journalism

Seriously, that site should be fucking banned.

If the x1 version is running at 720P and ps4 at 1080P, x1 version should run at a more stable 60fps ala cod:ghost.

id get your surprised face ready for the DF thread...

lEmlQBx.gif

"We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment player." -Microsoft engineer

No wonder they're losing. A kinectless xbox would be undeniable proof this "broad entertainment player" was a bad idea, let alone losing most of their marketshare.

EGM1966

Last Gen it was actually debatable though. PS3 exclusives looked as good if not better than anything on the 360 so people rightfully questioned the quality of ports. This time it's just flat out weaker hardware. I'm not saying that these threads shouldn't exist, just that it's kind of like making a thread saying there's a difference between a PC game running on high and ultra. I'm shocked that some people still appear surprised. The reason that I read these threads is just a genuine curiosity about what sacrifices the devs made. Was it resolution? Frame rate? Effects and post processing? It's interesting to see what devs prioritize.

I'm only really speaking to why there will be a lot of teasing/trolling in such threads. They'll exist because they give a point of reference for comparison between the two consoles - either for new customers to understand how multi-plats perform or for dual console owners to understand better any differences.

Clearly this gen it looks like it'll all be one way traffic - but I guess the usefulness remains in principle.

Montresor

The circle jerk and high fives in here are exhausting. But at some point MS has to lower the price of XB1. They can't justify an extra $100 price tag for a system that is clearly less powerful.

Xbone/360 barely look any different.

Glad to hear PS4 isn't being held back by any weak platforms though. I look forward to buying this used.

I wouldn't say barely, I think this would be in line with Call of Duty Ghosts, looks significantly more detailed on the Bone compared to 360, next gen assets for sure, and this is running 60fps vs 30fps whereas COD: G is 60fps on both, so the difference between 360 and X1 is more significant than CoD, however the disparity in resolution from the PS4 is big. Hopefully they employed some good AA so it doesn't look too jaggie. 60fps is welcome.

When you look at Snake, you can definitely see the shaders/assets are on par with the PS4 version, but that res difference is killer with the finer details.

kYcu9Go.gif

Occam

Penello: "I believe that the differences between the boxes is not all that great”
It all makes sense now! Penello wasn't talking about Xbone vs. PS4 at all.

Xbox One
3onsri.jpg

Xbox 360
4vhshn.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
The circle jerk and high fives in here are exhausting. But at some point MS has to lower the price of XB1. They can't justify an extra $100 price tag for a system that is clearly less powerful.

Can they justify Xbone at $400? It will still be less powerful than PS4.

The Xbox One is perfectly capable of doing 1080p@60fps
I blame lazy programing or Kojima wanting to hurt the Xbox One or something..

What is this?

So the Devs are deliberately not pushing the Xbox one to its max?

I don't even.

I'm just surprised people still get giddy seeing the PS4 version being better since we know the PS4 hardware is better. We should be used to it by now. Yet the gifs keep coming.

Tbh after the previous gen where everything was in Xbox's favour I don't see it easing up any time soon.

Surely the main reason for the difference is because Sony pulled a fast one and double the RAM and stuck in the faster one, which caught MS by surprise and it was too late by then!

The difference in lighting during night is like day-night.

Doubt the oldgen versions are 720p native. The difference in clarity is super ridiculous between PS3 and PS4. The difference between 360 and One is about what I'd expect between 720 and 1080. I'm no doctor but I'm calling it, old gen's closer to 600p.

DrkSage

Just you wait, the Xbox one is 2-3 times more powerful than the PS4, just you wait until Microsoft pulls the cover on the Xbox one and reveals that untapped hidden power.
I know what I'm saying its true, i got insiders that tell me!
i jokes, I jokes

Top Bottom