• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin News: Game has now sold 250k units; broke even

jerry1594

Hope more publisher/devs see this and think of doing isomatric cRPGs. Maybe they dont sell as much as Skyrim or Witcher but they dont cost that much to produce at the same time.

Imagine for example they would hire Obsidian to make Fallout isomatric cRPG spinoff, insta buy xD
I'd pay 60 quid for Van Buren

Yoda

Bought it last week, just started my playthrough a couple hours ago.

Should I bump the difficulty up to hard? Normal seems fairly easy so far.

I kept it on normal and regretted it later on. Game had decent difficulty starting out but by the time I was level 13+ I never got close to dying in a fight.

You listed the exact three I was thinking of. I'm not sure about Wasteland 2--impressions seem to be mostly positive, but not stellar--but I've been following Pillars of Eternity's development obsessively, and I'm confident it's going to be incredible.

I've played the Age of Decadence Early Access version quite a bit. The game's definitely not going to be for everyone, but it puts DOS's openness and choice & consequence to shame. Sure, the graphics suck in comparison, and the combat isn't very colourful or varied, but AoD is like no other RPG in existence. It's going to generate a small but extremely devoted fanbase.

DAI should have some nice production values.

Ah, I see. I'll have to look more closely at AoD, since I'm clearly ignorant to what it is attempting.

Now that I think of it, hopefully they're all great! I should really be rooting for them instead of fighting against my own interests. After all, there can never be too many good games, least of all RPGs.

What can they take note of?

Should Witcher 3, Xenoblade X and DA:I be made with €3m budget?

Should top-tier developers take note? No.

Should smaller developers and publishers take note? Absolutely.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm pretty skeptical AoD will actually release this year, though it'd be nice.
Yeah, it might still be a while, although the team seems to be adding stuff a lot faster than before now that all of the basic systems have been nailed down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The game was really meant to be played with a friend. It's okay as a solo game, but it truly shines when you're bumbling through it with a partner.

Ferrio

Banned
The game was really meant to be played with a friend. It's okay as a solo game, but it truly shines when you're bumbling through it with a partner.

Ya I don't think I'd of had much fun as I'm having now. Both of you trying to solve something, or blowing each other up, or having dialogues between each other.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ya I don't think I'd of had much fun as I'm having now. Both of you trying to solve something, or blowing each other up, or having dialogues between each other.

Or trying to one up each other with Rube Goldeberg strategems to handle a difficult encounter. Or showing off your loot/new spells to each other.

kai3345

Banned

This

I had my first co-op session tonight and even though it was all content I'd already done before it was still a blast the second time around

SURGEdude

Great to hear and well deserved! A little surprised it cost them that much to make it, even though I think it feel very well made. Glad to see there are still gamers who are willing to support a good product with stuff like turn based gameplay that really demonstrates the variety and breadth of types of games that have been written off by most publishers and seem less likely to be given a chance by the more mainstream tastes that seem to appeal almost exclusively.

That is happily changing now that indies feel more at home on console after Sony and MS finally opened things up enough to make porting from PC feasible and profitable without much risk.

Cloud saving is disabled right now because of the save's filesizes - they used to be much larger, apparently too large for Steam cloud. Larian have since compressed the saves, and I think it's only a matter of time before they re-enable cloud saving for the game.
Appreciate that. I thought I was in the OT when I asked this. Thanks!

I'm a little surprised that they've only broken even so far. Seems like it's been on top of Steam for a while since launch.
It's the best CRPG I've played in a very long time, so I hope it does better.

Well since they've had to shoulder a lot of the publishing costs plus backer rewards I think it's pretty reasonable. Plus, since they 100% own the ip and distribution (minus a relatively small cut from valve in the case of steam sales and server backend for their own site) the profit rate post break even point will be many times greater than with a traditional publishing deal. They can generate much more profit with much less sales than via a traditional royalty publishing model which typically saw developers getting maybe $0.30 to the dollar as opposed to here where it's probably closer to $0.65, such that they could probably fund the majority of their next game on just another 250-400k sales, which shouldn't be too difficult over the lifetime of this title given the extremely positive buzz.

Zakalwe

Banned

I think it's good both ways for diffeent reasons.

Alone, I absorbed the world around me. I role played both chracters and developed a relationship between them, and even between the two companions. The party felt like my own, the world felt like a place I was a part of.

With a partner all of that vanished, instead of being immersed in the world, we were immersed in the mechanics specifically, it was much harder to be drawn into the story and setting because we were discussing the systems and our strategies constantly.

I don't think it's "meant" to be played either way, I think they did an amazing job of blending the co-op parts. Not tried it with AI because I like roleplaying both characters, so I don't know how well that works. I'll try it out on my second SP playthrough.

nbthedude

It's a crying shame that the mainstream media hasn't picked up on this one.

Someone checked metacritic the other day and there were only a few official reviews.

It's just the problem with professional media gaming people in general.

They are dabblers. A game like Divinity takes too much commitment. It's also the reason Dark Souls was generally disparaged (until it got enough word of mouth a year or two later that some of the media people who didn't review it decided to actually give it a fair shake).

Maybe a year or two from now they'll realize what they missed but I doubt it. The reason DS took off was largely do to Let's Plays and while Divinity: OS is easily as good of a game in my opinion, it's isn't as "watchable."

I wish we had more media personalities that had the time/enthusiasm to deep dive. Because THAT is the kind of content I want from them. I often wonder if most of Giant Bomb guys finish more than a few games a year. They seem to just demo everything and comitt to nothing, which makes their commentary about any given subject or game often seem very shallow. Pattrick is the one exception. He is sometimes willing to dive in and his commentary is much more interesting as a result.

Durante

I really think that AoD "putting D:OS' openness to shame" is completely untrue, or at least hugely a matter of perspective. It may have more narrative openness, but in terms of the openness afforded by its gameplay systems, it doesn't remotely touch D:OS (and neither will PoE for that matter).

And as for Wasteland 2, it's decent, but not at all on the level we're talking about here. Unless it improves massively in its final release, I'd put M&M X above it. RPG of the year will be between Divinity and PoE (if the latter makes it).

I'm a little surprised that they've only broken even so far. Seems like it's been on top of Steam for a while since launch.
It's the best CRPG I've played in a very long time, so I hope it does better.
I don't think being on top of the top sellers list for 2 weeks in July outside of sales means as much as it does during in most other periods. Also, it's 40€, and the list is by revenue.

Durante

So is this the best CRPG since Temple of Elemental Evil?
In terms of battle system? Yes. And thus also either the best or second best CRPG battle system of all time.

In terms of everything else there have been many CRPGs better than ToEE since it, and this is one of them :p

Sothpaw

I mean really, I can't imagine another game in 2014 being better than Divinity. This game is so good I actually want Wasteland 2 and Pillars to be delayed a bit more. Don't want a bunch of great cprg's releasing all at once. I mean, you make us wait 15 years then release 3 within a few months? Come on man.

Divinity has so much content it's unreal.

In terms of battle system? Yes. And thus also either the best or second best CRPG battle system of all time.

In terms of everything else there have been many CRPGs better than ToEE since it, and this is one of them :p

damn and i just reinstalled ToEE... do i play the new game or replay my old favorite.

Jawmuncher

Looks like we'll be getting a 2nd game then.
Breaking even on steam this early on is the best thing you can do. Can't wait to see the sales after th next major discount during winter or summer.

Sothpaw

Looks like we'll be getting a 2nd game then.
Breaking even on steam this early on is the best thing you can do. Can't wait to see the sales after th next major discount during winter or summer.

Yea this is one of those games that is going to sell well for years. Going to be a nice little cash cow for Larian.

Saty

The article says that
Since its launch on June 30, more than a quarter of a million copies were sold, though, and the game is still on the top 10 download stores to gog.com and Steam"
So presumably these is not including backer copies and people who bought it while in EA.

Sothpaw

The article says that

So presumably these is not including backer copies and people who bought it while in EA.

I believe I read somewhere that it includes backer copies. Think of it in accounting terms I guess; something is not considered sold until the product is delivered.

Dolor

Glad to count myself as one of those copies. (technically not, since I bought it a couple days before release)

Great game.

Esch

Banned
Will get on a slight sale. I still can't decide if this game is that awesome or if people are getting behind it because they miss the genre.

jimboton

It's good news but I was kinda hoping for even better news. I mean thay had already sold 160k before the 5th of July so after three times that (all the while continuously holding Steam's top spot) ..

Do we know when was the interview conducted? I can see it was published 2 days ago but how 'fresh' was it back then?

Best game to come out in a long time, also the first game I bought at launch in a long time. Finally a game that actually requires a brain to play. I'm only at the forest but already I'm gushing praise for it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I really think that AoD "putting D:OS' openness to shame" is completely untrue, or at least hugely a matter of perspective. It may have more narrative openness, but in terms of the openness afforded by its gameplay systems, it doesn't remotely touch D:OS (and neither will PoE for that matter).
It depends on where you draw the line between narrative and gameplay, but I'd argue that Age of Decadence offers more openness with its gameplay systems as well.

DOS is good at letting the player go crazy without breaking the game. You can kill everyone, steal everything, and still finish. It's decent at physical simulation and making its game objects very interactive--teleporting and moving stuff provides some cool possibilities. The combat is undoubtedly very open.

Aside from that, though, AoD offers options that DOS can't match (at least not in the time I've played it). AoD has a ridiculously in-depth conversation system that allows constant lying, double-dealing, persuasion, and bargaining. It tracks many different reputations, all of which allow profoundly different approaches to situations and open up gameplay options. It allows the player to bypass situations with many different character builds--by disguise, etiquette, thievery, lore, and more. And these aren't just minor, cosmetic differences like with DOS's exceedingly weak rock-paper-scissors dialogue system. They're often radically different in their gameplay style and flavour. Combat isn't up to the level of DOS (which I agree has an amazing system), but it has merits of its own. It's well-balanced and each patch increases the number of useful, viable options.

All of these things come at a cost. AoD has graphics that are downright bad in comparison to anything after 2004. Many encounters in the game are represented by little more than text with some rudimentary static camera views. But when it comes to providing gameplay "openness"--which I consider to be the ability for the player to tackle the game in many varied, viable, and interesting ways--I really don't see how DOS does it any better.

And as for Wasteland 2, it's decent, but not at all on the level we're talking about here. Unless it improves massively in its final release, I'd put M&M X above it. RPG of the year will be between Divinity and PoE (if the latter makes it).
I haven't played Wasteland 2, so you might be right. I will say that RPGs benefit more from careful tuning, balancing, small content additions, and polishing than most types of games, so Wasteland 2 could very well have a huge upswing in quality. Actually, from what I can tell, DOS followed that same trajectory.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's a crying shame that the mainstream media hasn't picked up on this one.

Someone checked metacritic the other day and there were only a few official reviews.

Quite simply it just isn't the type of game that the enthusiast press will latch onto. No matter how good it is.

nbthedude

Will get on a slight sale. I still can't decide if this game is that awesome or if people are getting behind it because they miss the genre.
I've never played a single game In the genre and I love it.

In fact I was waiting for my coop partner and decided to try Baldur's Gate 2 EE and Blackguard this afternoon to scratch the itch and I couldn't stand either.

Top Bottom