• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

valkyre

NB3R70G.png

Nooooo

If this is true then -correct me if i am wrong- but this has to be the biggest difference yet in a multiplatform title between PS4 and XBOXONE.

Most of the times ONE lacks in one department , either resolution, or framerate, not both.

This time it is 720p vs 1080p and 30 fps vs 60 fps.

This kind of difference is actually... massive. Especially in raw technical performance.

IvorB

Woah so on PS4 its 1080@60 and Xbone 720@30?

Oh my god. Really? HALF the frame rate AND lower resolution. That can't be right.

Edit: the bigger news for me is that this games is 1080/60 on PS4. Is that right? I really want to get this. The only thing holding me back is that I've been rinsing FF XIV and I don't really want to dive into another RPG.

stryke

Eeeeh, still not convinced.

Granted they're not the same people but it reminds me of the German website who reported Watch Dogs was 1080p60 on PS4 since Ubisoft told them at some sort of event.

It's amazing how hard it is to get one raw capture frame to be uploaded.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh my god. Really? HALF the frame rate AND lower resolution. That can't be right.

Edit: the bigger news for me is that this games is 1080/60 on PS4. Is that right? I really want to get this. The only thing holding me back is that I've been rinsing FF XIV and I don't really want to dive into another RPG.

This is nothing like an rpg. Its an action game.

S1kkZ

This is not an rpg, at all.

Autofokus

The PS4 pushing more than 4x the pixels of the Xbox One doesn't sound just a tad bit strange to you though? That's why I asked if the guys answering mistook the question.
Wouldn't be the first time. But paired with the framerate, I have a hard time believing this rumor.

Kaversmed

The RPG elements in SoM don't seem too deep, so I wouldn't worry about that much if you just want to have some shallow fun. It's more of an action game tbh.

Sincerely,
Naur, The Wolf - Uruk of Mordor

If this is true then -correct me if i am wrong- but this has to be the biggest difference yet in a multiplatform title between PS4 and XBOXONE.

Most of the times ONE lacks in one department , either resolution, or framerate, not both.

This time it is 720p vs 1080p and 30 fps vs 60 fps.

This kind of difference is actually... massive. Especially in raw technical performance.

I'm not sure I believe that yet, but there is more to the demands of an image than FPS and resolution. You have to take image quality into consideration too. It is possible...possible...that as games try to push the image quality of the new gen systems, that both FPS and resolution could suffer on the XB1.

Even though Shadow of Mordor is cross gen, it's development and feature list for last gen and new gen are different. Unlike say Destiny, they are not trying to push the exact same game to all systems. SoM is open world and can show a lot of characters on the screen at once. That can be quire demanding. It's possible that the developers decided that it would be better to keep their image effects and complexity at the expense of FPS and resolution on the XB1.

I highly doubt that its 720p and 60fps on X1. If anything I would guess that the resolution is wrong, I bet it will be at or around 900p.

900p/30fps on X1 vs. 1080p/ 60fps unlocked seems more plausible.

Blizzje

It's amazing how hard it is to get one raw capture frame to be uploaded.

It really is, especially in this day and age.

I would rather the devs be upfront about the resolution difference - provided there is a difference - than choose to remain mute on the subject. I know why they do it, obviously it has to do with wanting to sell both versions as well as they can.

At the moment, I own a PS4 and I will get an Xbox One down the line. It looks like the PS4 will be my go-to machine for multiplats, just like the X360 was last generation.

Also, for those of you who keep claiming you 'dont see' the difference between a resolution below 1080p and native 1080p: I really wish I were you. Unfortunately I immediately saw a huge difference when I played my first 900p game (Watch Dogs). I wouldn't go so far as to say I won't play 1080p games anymore, but it has become a big factor for me when deciding to buy a game or leave it there.

I guess I am a graphics whore after all, even though I only own a low/medium end PC and a PS4.

nynt9

I'm not sure I believe that yet, but there is more to the demands of an image than FPS and resolution. You have to take image quality into consideration too. It is possible...possible...that as games try to push the image quality of the new gen systems, that both FPS and resolution could suffer on the XB1.

Even though Shadow of Mordor is cross gen, it's development and feature list for last gen and new gen are different. Unlike say Destiny, they are not trying to push the exact same game to all systems. SoM is open world and can show a lot of characters on the screen at once. That can be quire demanding. It's possible that the developers decided that it would be better to keep their image effects and complexity at the expense of FPS and resolution on the XB1.

There's also the nemesis system which is missing in last gen and presumably constantly runs in the background and simulates the behavior of a hierarchy of orcs. Reviews say that stuff happens regardless of you being there to observe it all the time, so the AI simulation for that could be quite taxing as well.

Grimsen

Yeah it may not be precisely an RPG but it's got all orcs and goblins and what not. Thematically it's very RPG-like. I also need word on the difficulty. I think I'll just continue to monitor the situation for now.

You're looking for the word Fantasy.

There's also the nemesis system which is missing in last gen and presumably constantly runs in the background and simulates the behavior of a hierarchy of orcs. Reviews say that stuff happens regardless of you being there to observe it all the time, so the AI simulation for that could be quite taxing as well.

The whole nemesis / background AI stuff is typically something I would expect to be programmed for Cloud computing.

Famassu

The only rpg thing is upgrading your character. If that constitutes an rpg than lol
The Nemesis system also gives the player a fuckton of choice to do how you like. You can also approach a lot of situations in a multitude of ways. Just because it doesn't fulfill your arbitrary definitions of what constitutes an RPG doesn't mean it isn't one. It's an action RPG. Not as in-depth in its character creation & development as some Obsidian games, but not all RPGs have to be that way.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, I'm going to ask what all of us are thinking and no one dares to ask:

What about The Cloud though?
Not being used by the developers perhaps?

The whole nemesis / background AI stuff is typically something I would expect to be programmed for Cloud computing.
Exactly what I thought however it would require a constant connection to the internet, wouldn't it?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Nemesis system also gives the player a fuckton of choice to do how you like. You can also approach a lot of situations in a multitude of ways.

Does that mean that the original Assassin's Creed is an RPG now? Or Crackdown?

DieH@rd

Banned
It is strange that there is no verified reports and devs are saying nothing. I expect standard divide, 1080p vs 900p, but if it's more than that... GAF will explode again.

There is also a chance that PS4 will get unlocked framerate and Xbone get locked to 30 [because variable 50-60fps is much better than variable 30-40fps]. TR:DE is example if this.

Klyka

Banned
Something I haven't quite understodd about the game yet:

So,there are story missions,right? Like the Nemesis system is more for messing around in your "free time" but you can just go from story instance to story instance and it basically won't matter, correct?

720p30fps is an absolute deal breaker.

Resolution I could stomach(barely) but half the framerate is unforgivable. God Damn I'm hoping for a miracle :(

May have to pick up a ps4 for multi plats sooner than I expected :(

mdsfx

Something I haven't quite understodd about the game yet:

So,there are story missions,right? Like the Nemesis system is more for messing around in your "free time" but you can just go from story instance to story instance and it basically won't matter, correct?
Yes! :)

MMaRsu

Banned
The Nemesis system also gives the player a fuckton of choice to do how you like. You can also approach a lot of situations in a multitude of ways. Just because it doesn't fulfill your arbitrary definitions of what constitutes an RPG doesn't mean it isn't one. It's an action RPG. Not as in-depth in its character creation & development as some Obsidian games, but not all RPGs have to be that way.

Yeah it gives you sandbox choices. There really isnt anything rpg about that system.

Yeah it may not be precisely an RPG but it's got all orcs and goblins and what not. Thematically it's very RPG-like. I also need word on the difficulty. I think I'll just continue to monitor the situation for now.

Fantasy <> RPG.

Following that line of thought, if you make a strategy game in a fantasy setting, it isn't a strategy game but a rpg! If you make a graphic adventure of Lotr, it's a rpg??

I was hoping for some parity, so I can finally pick up a game for my X1 since wolfenstein. I guess I'll be taking a break from destinys grind, so I can pick this up on ps4.

Xando

720p30fps is an absolute deal breaker.

Resolution I could stomach(barely) but half the framerate is unforgivable. God Damn I'm hoping for a miracle :(

May have to pick up a ps4 for multi plats sooner than I expected :(

Dont forget that PS4 is rumored to be 1080 + 60 fps with dips, we dont know how often it stays at 60fps could be more like Tomb Raider or Infamous.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, that was always the biggest problem with talking up the cloud to improve games. It could only work with a constint internet connection.
It's not something I personally have a problem with but I can see why it would be a bother to others.

I've still be picking up the game on Friday for my XB1 but I'm genuinely surprised at 720p30 if true.

Valravn

Its being described as an action rpg. But, what is the difference between a RPG and an action-rpg? In an action RPG you have direct control of the character(s) in combat, as opposed to, for example, turn based combat. Shadow of Mordor is an action rpg because you play as a characters who will grow in power as the game progresses. You have characters customisation, experience points, items have stats and the game has quests,

Famassu

Does that mean that the original Assassin's Creed is an RPG now? Or Crackdown?
Neither AC nor Crackdown have anything comparable to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system and whatever customization they have is even less deep or non-existant than the equipment customization in SoM.

DieH@rd

Banned
Dont forget that PS4 is rumored to be 1080 + 60 fps with dips, we dont know how often it stays at 60fps could be more like Tomb Raider or Infamous.

TR on PS4 was 60 with drops to 50s.
Infamous on PS4 was 30 with jumps to low 40s [and sub 30 in rare hecktic situations].

Kaversmed

Neither AC nor Crackdown have anything comparable to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system and whatever customization they have is even less deep or non-existant than the equipment customization in SoM.

Unity does seem to have a lot more customization than the former games, though.

Top Bottom