• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
hmm, an unlocked frame rate can be kinda dicey. it should be fine if it's relatively consistent, though.

Xando

TR on PS4 was 60 with drops to 50s.
Infamous on PS4 was 30 with jumps to low 40s [and sub 30 in rare hecktic situations].

What i mean is that its not sure if PS4 is 60fps since the devs said they trying to reach it.
And we had multiple people in this thread that have a early copy and said there are some dips.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The fox engine has problems with XB1 esram looks like Monoliths engine has similar problems. If anything it will probably be 780p and 60fps (hopefully) thinking about it now actually isn't advanced warfare something weird like 882p on XB1?

Auctopus

So,there are story missions,right? Like the Nemesis system is more for messing around in your "free time" but you can just go from story instance to story instance and it basically won't matter, correct?

The story missions are there (they've been reviewed as a bit boring though) but the Nemesis system is always active. So the story missions take place in the world and I'm assuming different Orcs can turn up during missions.

However, if you're asking whether the Nemesis system will affect bosses/hierachy of the story missions then no. The bosses and character development seems to be rigid.

DOWN

Banned
The fox engine has problems with XB1 esram looks like Monoliths engine has similar problems. If anything it will probably be 780p and 60fps (hopefully) thinking about it now actually isn't advanced warfare something weird like 882p on XB1?
Regardless of how engines handle XB1, it's just plain weaker and thus should always have something lacking compared to PS4 if developers aren't holding back on PS4 just for parity/communism.

I was so hyped to play this tomorrow, but then I read that it won't be out until friday over here in Europe. Gonna be an agonizing few days.

Klyka

Banned
The story missions are there (they've been reviewed as a bit boring though) but the Nemesis system is always active. So the story missions take place in the world and I'm assuming different Orcs can turn up during missions.

However, if you're asking whether the Nemesis system will affect bosses/hierachy of the story missions then no. The bosses and character development seems to be rigid.

So by just going from story to story I could effectively never interact with the Nemesis system at all and it has no bearing on how hard/easy the missions are?

Lord Phol

Listen up ShadowGAF, its orc name generator time! Let us bring to the light the true name of your inner darkness so that we may all wallow in our collective filth and depravity.
Middle Earth orc name generator.
Behold! You are in the presence of:
Sloiuga, the pointing claw - Uruk of Mordor

Everyone who added me through the NeoGaf steam group prepare to meet your doom at the hands of Fotkûrz, the slasher - Uruk of Mordor

nynt9

The whole nemesis / background AI stuff is typically something I would expect to be programmed for Cloud computing.

I'd presume that not every dev wants to pay a constant cloud server fee and they want their game to be future proof and completely playable offline. Hats off to developers like that.

Something I haven't quite understodd about the game yet:

So,there are story missions,right? Like the Nemesis system is more for messing around in your "free time" but you can just go from story instance to story instance and it basically won't matter, correct?

Part of the story interacts with the Nemesis system. Like I believe at one point you have to control all the captain on the board before moving on. I also heard that the allies that you take into the final boss battle will be determined by the Nemesis system so you'd better make sure that you build up some strong supporters. So no, I don't think that you could just do the story and ignore the Nemesis system.

I'd presume that not every dev wants to pay a constant cloud server fee and they want their game to be future proof and completely playable offline. Hats off to developers like that.

I'm also not sure how much better it would be if the XB1 version could get closer to the PS4 specs but required a constant connection just to play the game while the PS4 version didn't. I kind of think that would come across worse.

Klyka

Banned
Part of the story interacts with the Nemesis system. Like I believe at one point you have to control all the captain on the board before moving on. I also heard that the allies that you take into the final boss battle will be determined by the Nemesis system so you'd better make sure that you build up some strong supporters. So no, I don't think that you could just do the story and ignore the Nemesis system.

Ah ok, got it, thanks!

Loomba

I ordered this in April on the cheap when Amazon priced it wrong. Makes it all the better that it's actually great. I probably still would have bought it anyway but still.

Still debating getting this on PC or PS4. The cheaper PC price (GMG) is tempting, but I also enjoy the PS4 controller and my nice TV.

Are there any technical breakdowns of the PC version vs the PS4 version?

theDeeDubs

If it really is 1080/~60 vs. 720/30, I'm getting this on PS4. I already have it preloaded on my XB1, but that is just too big of a difference for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Neither AC nor Crackdown have anything comparable to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system and whatever customization they have is even less deep or non-existant than the equipment customization in SoM.

I meant that they give you a small list of characters who need to die and many ways to make that happen. Again, I'm only talking about the original AC game.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered this in April on the cheap when Amazon priced it wrong. Makes it all the better that it's actually great. I probably still would have bought it anyway but still.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pre order it for?

Paganmoon

God damnit, I'm going to be in Athens on Friday, and the whole weekend, who want's to see historical sights when this game is coming out! :(

SparkTR

Still debating getting this on PC or PS4. The cheaper PC price (GMG) is tempting, but I also enjoy the PS4 controller and my nice TV.

Wait for the digital foundry, but needless to say if your PC specs are good it'll look better there.

Auctopus

So by just going from story to story I could effectively never interact with the Nemesis system at all and it has no bearing on how hard/easy the missions are?

No, the Nemesis system would most likely interact with you during the missions as you make your way somewhere, I'm guessing.

Wait for the digital foundry, but needless to say if your PC specs are good it'll look better there.

Yeah I guess I can wait. My gaming machine is a laptop with a 780M and so far it's held up very well with games like AC4 and BF4 and such...should be good enough for this game.

It doesn't look better to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzSBpkxbqw

That's how clean the PS4 version looks going by the console screenshot thread. Unless by good specs you mean having a 6GB vram graphics card for the Ultra textures( even though the video is labeled Ultra some people say the pack is not released(as is the game but that's not mentioned)).

Kssio_Aug

If it really is 1080/~60 vs. 720/30, I'm getting this on PS4. I already have it preloaded on my XB1, but that is just too big of a difference for me.

Wow! I hope thats not the disparity. Its too much, and I dont think thr XB1 hardware could not handle it at 900p or 60fps (if on 720p).

Will wait for DF impressions because thats unbelievable.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Not yet, wait for the DF verdict for that, I'd like to add that you can play PC games on your TV using a DS4-controller, FYI.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
since I know next to nothing about LOTR, I decided to look into watching the movies before the game comes out. then I noticed it would take 9 hours to get through the trilogy.

why is Peter Jackson a madman

Paganmoon

since I know next to nothing about LOTR, I decided to look into watching the movies before the game comes out. then I noticed it would take 9 hours to get through the trilogy.

why is Peter Jackson a madman

11 hours 22 minutes for the extended if I'm not mistaken.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm also not sure how much better it would be if the XB1 version could get closer to the PS4 specs but required a constant connection just to play the game while the PS4 version didn't. I kind of think that would come across worse.

LOL!!! Did you seriously fall for the "cloud improves performance" lie from Microsoft? Lol do you really believe this nonsense?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
11 hours 22 minutes for the extended if I'm not mistaken.

But the book is 1,137 pages.
The Hobbit is going to be over 9 hours and that book is 304 pages.

Top Bottom