• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

it just seems forced not to include mario characters in this game. instead we get bunch of generic characters in a mario style game.

now if they make a game resembling Assassin Creed/CoD/RE/FF/MGS, then no, mario characters don't fit. But splatoon? Perfect fit!

RIiGSOy.gif

Guys isn't it so forced that GladOS isn't in Splatoon, since they clearly made Portal 3 with all these paint effects, and they just shoehorned in squid people instead of putting the characters we know and love from Portal 2 in there.

It was a lot of fun at E3, but I worried about it being multiplayer-only because I'm more of a solo gamer. As such, I'm glad it's got a campaign.

Astral Dog

Its cartoony, so Nintendo could easily replace these characters with the iconic Mario, but , you know, its Nintendo, they dont make sense.

khaaan

Huh?
The ink lends itself to the design of the characters. They also turn into squids.

Do you want Mario to have a squid suit?

What?

Mario cast in blooper suits would be pretty rad....but I'm just as happy with the direction they went.

it just seems forced not to include mario characters in this game. instead we get bunch of generic characters in a mario style game.

now if they make a game resembling Assassin Creed/CoD/RE/FF/MGS, then no, mario characters don't fit. But splatoon? Perfect fit!

I don't understand. Anything not realistic and violent is inherently mario-style? Sure, something like a racing game or a sports game can naturally be a spinoff of another game because it can take advantage of characters you're already familiar with. It can skip out on worldbuilding and go straight to the gameplay. But splatoon has game mechanics that can actually make up a coherent adventure. It doesn't need to borrow from Mario when it has a chance to build its own characters and setting.

And I'd call the style present in the trailer anything but generic. I think it's vibrant and cool and unique.

What exactly makes this game Mario-style?

Splatoon is a shooter where you use super soakers to cover things in ink. You can blast enemies with ink, or travel through the ink to create pathways around the stage.

Mario is a platformer where you jump on enemies and hit blocks. You can pick up power-ups that let you jump farther or shoot fireballs at enemies.

Astral Dog

Wasnt this campaign already announced? i remember at E3 it was known Splatoon would have a single and multiplayer mode.

I watched every bit of Splatoon content at E3 and the devs were always really cagey about it, like "oh I dunno...it might be kind of an afterthought...the game is really about the multi..."

TheMoon

you gotta be joking, right? generic? lol

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
I'll admit I would be no where near as excited as I am for Splatoon if it was Mario Sunshine 2. I'm kind of sick of most of Nintendo's established Ips (especially Mario) So Splatoon is a real breath of freash air for me.

Zero²

I'll admit I would be no where near as excited as I am for Splatoon if it was Mario Sunshine 2. I'm kind of sick of most of Nintendo's established Ips (especially Mario) So Splatoon is a real breath of freash air for me.
I agree, the whole backstory of Squids vs Octopus, or even the overall theme of the game, makes it so much more interesting! Then again Mario wouldnt do much sense in this game, given the whole point of it is the squid mechanics.
The inklings make so much more sense, that I wonder why the hell people would want mario in this game.

gngf123

I know I'm late on this, but I just wanted to say that this is one of the worst posts I've ever read.

Generic characters? Hell no.

The idea that not including Mario in cartoony games is forced? What the fuck?

While I'm not sick of a lot of them, I will otherwise entirely agree with you.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm kind of sick of this obsession of having Mario in everything and that the games that don't have him sell badly or anyhow not as well as they deserve, even when you have masterpieces like Pikmin 3.

If something will kill Nintendo it's not their poor business decisions, but Mario. Mario is like Oedipus. And people are totally behind this obsession.

Here you have a potentially brilliant new IP, with a great idea behind it, with great looking characters, with a potential to attract some other people to Nintendo's world, in a genre not very used on Nintendo consoles, and then "but I want another Mario 3d game, why isn't this another Mario 3d game?" just to complain probably after that about how the new Mario 3d is nowhere near the quality of Mario Galaxy and how Nintendo will never achieve that level ever again and why are they keep doing these stupid Mario games that are not Galaxy.

I'm kind of sick of this obsession of having Mario in everything and that the games that don't have him sell badly or anyhow not as well as they deserve, even when you have masterpieces like Pikmin 3.

If something will kill Nintendo it's not their poor business decisions, but Mario. Mario is like Oedipus. And people are totally behind this obsession.

Here you have a potentially brilliant new IP, with a great idea behind it, with great looking characters, with a potential to attract some other people to Nintendo's world, in a genre not very used on Nintendo consoles, and then "but I want another Mario 3d game, why isn't this another Mario 3d game?" just to complain probably after that about how the new Mario 3d is nowhere near the quality of Mario Galaxy and how Nintendo will never achieve that level ever again and why are they keep doing these stupid Mario games that are not Galaxy.

Bu-Bu-but it doesn't have gritty real life graffixx like COD so it has to have Mario cuz it's like a kiddie game.

TrueBlue

I can almost guarantee that Nintendo wouldn't have received anywhere near as much kudos for this game if they had instead made Mario's Blooping Paintball Adventure.

There are boys and girls, he was just joking.
It's interesting that people seem to assume that all inklings are female until it's pointed out some are male, in the same way that people seem to assume all humans on the internet are male until it's pointed out women use the net too ¬.¬

This looks like the next AAA game from EAD following Mario Kart 8 (Captain Toad and NES Remix Pack don't quite cut it). If they can really flesh out that campaign mode, this game will be epic.

While we are at it, throw some more Amiibo mii suits into the multiplayer and we are gold.

It's so nice to read you sounding excited again. Not that you've ever been overly negative, but it sounds like you're getting something you've been wanting for a long time.

Of course it could have been a Mario game. But then it would have been a different game. By not making it a Mario game, there is no constraints on what they can do with it. It's very odd to me that some people would want those limitations put on the game.

Exactly. It is so refreshing to see EAD create a new world from scratch. When was the last time they got to do that? Pikmin? I guess you could count creating Wuhu Island/Miis or even Nintendogs. Regardless, here the EAD devs are stretching their creative, world-building juices on something completely undefined by the past for the first time in ages and it's beautiful.

I believe the devs have also said that they tried robots, burly men, and other ideas before settling on squids, in addition to Mario.

Incidentally, the Twitter page said something like 'Why is there a solitary cat in this world of squid? It's a mystery...' or something last night.

Hiltz

Come to think of it ,when was the last time Nintendo shoved Mario into a spin-off title/franchise where it felt like he and his mario universe & friends didn't belong in ? All the ones he's starred in made sense to me. Nintendo rejected Platinum's initial idea of using Nintendo characters in The Wonderful 101 and they have done it again for Splatoon. Nintendo felt it made more sense to use original characters based on the gameplay concept of these kind of titles.

Incidentally, the Twitter page said something like 'Why is there a solitary cat in this world of squid? It's a mystery...' or something last night.

Calling it now: The "cat thing" is a survivor from a planet that was destroyed by the Octopodes and he's the one that goes to the Inklings and warns them (and also helps train them for combat in mock matches). The Octopodes find the Inklings' "Voyager Plate" and are now invading the Inkling's planet one pod at a time (map and SP levels look like everyone lives in weird "pod" things, I'm assuming each "pod" will be one level) I'm also thinking that "Octopus Lady" is going to be the leader or a "Inkling doppelganger" made by the Octopodes. Also she better be an unlock-able for MP.

Zero²

I'm also thinking that "Octopus Lady" is going to be the leader or a "Inkling doppelganger" made by the Octopodes. Also she better be an unlock-able for MP.
I wonder if the Octopus are really the bad ones here, remember the cat always point your side as "good guys" and the other as "bad guys".
Who knows, you might be able to choose your side of the fight, as a Octopus inkling or as a Squid inkling?

Zero²;137697391 said:
http://media.giphy.com/media/FZuRP6WaW5qg/giphy.gif

Really? Dont play with my heart... This game plot seems to be really good!

Here's a translation

Investigative Report from the Squid Research Lab. This cat is the referee who decides the winner of each match. They can determine who has the largest covered area in an instant. But why is there a solitary cat in this world of squid....? This mystery is yet to be solved.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530245730636533760

maxcriden

It looks so weird. In a neat, fun way, though. The SP has shades of Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Zelda, just from the trailer. I like the weirdness of it and the odd music. Are some Sakamoto (RH/WW) peeps working on this? It has that odd vibe to it (in a good way).

::head explodes::

....Wow. Same. That's awesome.

What exactly makes this game Mario-style?

Splatoon is a shooter where you use super soakers to cover things in ink. You can blast enemies with ink, or travel through the ink to create pathways around the stage.

Mario is a platformer where you jump on enemies and hit blocks. You can pick up power-ups that let you jump farther or shoot fireballs at enemies.

Joke? The game heavily resembles Mario Sunshine, THE defining Mario platformer of the GCN era.

Really like how Splatoon is shaping up. Looking great.
Anyway. New tweet and screenshot:

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。 ヒーロースーツを身につけた主人公が進むのは地下の世界。イカの世界の侵略を狙う「タコ軍団」が作ったものらしい。巨大なモニターに映し出された青空から、タコ軍団の地上へのあこがれを感じるのは私だけだろうか?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530539193651707906

DxowSbMl.jpg

Someone made an analysis of the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZnKtx-_FQ
Some stealth elements are apparently in the game. Sneak up on the tentacles by going up to them while swimming in the paint. They'll get alerted to your presence when you pop out.
Also, the game's collectibles (the red spheres) seem to be fish eggs. I'm guessing you can use that to buy stuff to customize your inkling in multiplayer

Really like how Splatoon is shaping up. Looking great.
Anyway. New tweet and screenshot:

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。 ヒーロースーツを身につけた主人公が進むのは地下の世界。イカの世界の侵略を狙う「タコ軍団」が作ったものらしい。巨大なモニターに映し出された青空から、タコ軍団の地上へのあこがれを感じるのは私だけだろうか?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530539193651707906

DxowSbMl.jpg

Translation:
Investigative Report from the Squid Research Lab. The protagonist, wearing the Hero Suit, travels through this underground world. The Octopus Army Corps, hoping to invade the Squid's world, built this underground facility. Is it just me that feels the Octopus' longing for the world above-ground from the blue sky projected onto those large monitors?

Looks like we have our plot. (I was just in the middle of working on a possible story analysis too, gosh darn it).

I was wondering what was up with those screen. Although, I think there are a few shots with the Octopus' above ground/on stages with no screens so maybe they breach the surface at some point?

Wow, that's some plot all right. So we know that the Octopi have built these spherical enclosures underneath the Inklings' world like it's Magrathea.
Someone made an analysis of the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZnKtx-_FQ
Some stealth elements are apparently in the game. Sneak up on the tentacles by going up to them while swimming in the paint. They'll get alerted to your presence when you pop out.
Also, the game's collectibles (the red spheres) seem to be fish eggs. I'm guessing you can use that to buy stuff to customize your inkling in multiplayer
Great analysis vid, even if he mistook a collectable/power-up for an enemy projectile.

Top Bottom