• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will XBO go back to U$399 after the holidays?

What do you guys think? I think Microsoft is in a tough spot: if the console sold as expected or better then perhaps they can afford to up the price again, but surely that will affect sales; if the console sold below Microsoft's expectations then going back to U$399 will surely be worse, right?

I guess a good middle ground can be either going up to U$349 and/or keep the console bundled with two games @ U$399.

What do you guys think? What other options are there?

I believe they said the current prices ends January 2, no? After that it's back at 399

EDIT: It's January 3

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/xbox-one-special-savings

Offer valid November 2, 2014 through January 3, 2015 at participating retailers.

Regardless I think the price drop was meant to generate word of mouth and get a nice sales boost for the holidays but I fail to see how the current price is sustainable. I am sure it will go back up after December.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's no way. Sales will flatline if they do. They'll probably play it off as them being kind and doing a real price drop instead of a temporary sale. That way they got all the people worried about missing a deal during the holidays and don't have to deal with the PR disaster of raising the price again.

TomShoe

Banned
Microsoft will put out some PR like "Due to popular demand...," and basically find some reason to keep the price drop permanent.

Raising the price will cannibalize sales.

Yoda

I doubt it. They aren't going to be happy until they've regained more ground marketshare wise on their home-turf so to speak.

vesvci

Banned
No way in hell it's going back to $399, it would be suicidal for MS.

I can see it at $349 until Summer, and then maybe another drop.

JayEH

Maybe but I bet they're liking all those sales numbers. I'm not sure how much they can keep taking on the loss of the hardware but it is MS after all.

I think they will. The real thing to have done was in September announce $350 permanent. Would've made this whole situation for them not entirely awkward.

C4Lukins

I doubt it, but I bet they will just bundle a single game, probably something like Forza Horizon 2 for awhile.

I expect to hear the "Our holiday discount was such a success we're making the deal permanent" PR to drop before that January date hits

Minions

I don't see why they couldn't release a new sku with a 1TB (2x the storage) and a game packed in and sell it for the same price they previously did. This is how it always went in previous generations. Add more storage, pack in a game. Keep the price what it was. Keep the price cut on remaining inventory as it is phased out.

Only reason the XB1 can really do this is the drive is not intended to be user replaceable. The PS4 wouldn't be able to use this model as easily.

Hell the XB1 has the option of putting up to 4TB in their console... the PS4 is limited to laptop level drives.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If they stay at 399 they need to at least include a game (your choice of first party like MCC, SSO, or FH2) or include a larger HD or Kinect

I would say it gets a permanent drop to $349.

Warewolf

Only if they want to keep those store shelves full of units. I wouldn't buy an Xbox One at $399.99 after the last two months.

Yes. Obviously. The console is already going to see a sales dip in Jan/Feb due to the lack of any major releases - so it's not losing that many potential sales. The $350 price point is a good rush maneuver to gain ground share when a great deal of people are buying consoles. I doubt they have plans to keep it sustained for all of 2015.

Maybe they'll start throwing in a year of Live to cushion the price change.

Chris1

Yes, but only for a month or 2.

I predict them putting the price up to $399, then a month or so later bring out a slim version (or 1tb hard drive black or white console) at $399, and drop the 500gb down to $349

BriGuy

Their aggressive bundling and price cuts have reduced the value of the system itself. It's going to be hard for them staying at $349 when you could have gotten an Xbone and 2-4 games for $329 just a few weeks ago. Going back to $399 would be suicidal.

Anth0ny

I think it would be crazy if they did. Especially considering they dropped the thing to $330 + 2 games for Black Friday festivities.

It'll be $350 with no games.

SystemUser

I think they are done with $399. When the price cut started a lot of promotion material said "for a limited time" now it all seems to just say "Starting At $349"

TomShoe

Banned
I don't see why they couldn't release a new sku with a 1TB (2x the storage) and a game packed in and sell it for the same price they previously did. This is how it always went in previous generations. Add more storage, pack in a game. Keep the price what it was. Keep the price cut on remaining inventory as it is phased out.

Only reason the XB1 can really do this is the drive is not intended to be user replaceable. The PS4 wouldn't be able to use this model as easily.

Hell the XB1 has the option of putting up to 4TB in their console... the PS4 is limited to laptop level drives.

Consumers are by and large short-sighted casuals and parents who only look at the price tag mainly.

Putting a larger hard drive would be even worse of a value-add than a pack-in, as far as perceived value goes.

jony_m

I think it was stated as a temporary price drop to force people to act now; they will come up with something to let it remain (as someone stated a new SKU or model)

Minions

Consumers are by and large short-sighted casuals and parents who only look at the price tag mainly.

Putting a larger hard drive would be even worse of a value-add than a pack-in, as far as perceived value goes.

Keep the current model at 350 as it is phased out. They should have phased out all the kinect models at this point and started selling them only as an addon as they make more profit that way. Keep in mind the PS4 is still priced at $399 as a standard price outside of the "holiday bundles". 1:1 on price, with the PS4 with a larger HD (2x the HD) and a game (Throw in MCC and fix the game)? I think that would tip the ball in the XB1's favor.

JP

I know it was temporary but they really can't put the price up again now they've finally got a bit of momentum.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If they do raise it back up (
They can't be that stupid
) then that is just telling people wait another year until November rolls around again.

There's no doubt in my mind that it won't. My personal opinion is that the Xbox One can't compete with the Ps4 at the same price. It is viewed as the weaker machine and it is still has to overcome its disastrous reveal, but for the right price people will be more forgiving.

Top Bottom