• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will XBO go back to U$399 after the holidays?

Asd202

I honestly can't see them doing this. They have momentum, they apparently found the right price point and I think they need to keep it where it is.

We will see.

Right price point with 2 games bundled. IMO it will be $349 with a first party game or no game at all.

Has that ever happened before? I'm not talking about a black Friday deal but has a console ever officially gone down in price and then went back up? That never happens in electronics. Right?

HardRojo

Two scenarios:

No: They will keep the standalone console at $349. No game included or maybe just one downloadable code.

Yes: They offer a bundle at $399 with one or two games, there's no way they can offer the standlone console for $399 now.

I am almost certain they will raise the price. Nothing stupid about it really, it was always presented as a sale price for a "limited time."
One way or another they had to say that. I honestly don't know what to expect, but you can't expect Microsoft to stick with a plan just because they said so.

smurfx

get some go again
they won't raise the price because they now have the price advantage over sony. if sony drops their price to 349.99 then microsoft will counter with a drop to 299.99. don't know what they would do if sony dropped theirs all the way to 299.99. maybe 279.99?

I am almost certain they will raise the price. Nothing stupid about it really, it was always presented as a sale price for a "limited time."
It doesn't matter how they messaged it. In practice raising the price is stupid and I think extremely stupid when you consider their place in this industry. If they were top dog I can kinda see it happening but even then it would be stupid to lower the price and then push it back up. Price should never go up with consoles it should always go down as manufacturing becomes more efficient.

McHuj

Yes,

It will go back up, but only for two months. In March it will fall to $329-349 permanently so they can ride another wave of buyers jumping onto the "new" price cut.

jelly

Oh, wow, you guys throwing XBO Slims theories one year in? I mean, I'm not saying they won't, but isn't that like year-two strategy?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=922585

I wouldn't be surprised. Next E3 or Fall is nearly two years and longer when you consider when they signed off on the original design. If you can cost reduce, go for it and Xbox One needs a relaunch of some sort, slim is ideal. Neat thing this time, Sony and MS will be pretty much in line with these things so one slim means the other pretty much.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=922585

I wouldn't be surprised. Next E3 or Fall is nearly two years and longer when you consider when they signed off on the original design. If you can cost reduce, go for it and Xbox One needs a relaunch of some sort, slim is ideal. Neat thing this time, Sony and MS will be pretty much in live with these things so one slim means the other pretty much.

What? Why would Sony even consider releasing a slim this early in the game?

jelly

What? Why would Sony even consider releasing a slim this early in the game?

Cost savings is the only reason. They might have to sell out stock and use up components first before moving to a slim as early as next year but there is no reason to wait otherwise unless other component adjustments are waiting to be refined along with the CPU/GPU shrink.

I'm guessing they never intended to and only said the price drop was temporary to move more units faster.

If they go back, they'll only have to drop it again

SerTapTap

Two scenarios:

No: They will keep the standalone console at $349. No game included or maybe just one downloadable code.

Yes: They offer a bundle at $399 with one or two games, there's no way they can offer the standlone console for $399 now.

They'll never unbundle, there's still lots of unbundled units not going anywhere (at least online) because there's bundles and you'd be nuts to but a raw unit.

Crayon

I don't understand how it could go back up. Seems more likely to go down to 299 than go back up.

I'm not convinced that they care about making money or losing money on the thing.

Patapwn

Yes it's going to go back up. Ms said till January 3rd, they're not going to bullshit on that.

Instead, their strategy is probably to cut it to $300 officially at e3. At the same time they'll make a big deal out of it like it was never in that price range before.

Astral Dog

Microsoft made me kinda want an XBO with that price, over the Destiny PS4 bundle...
But then i saw the GTA V/Last of Us PS4 and i thought that was the best option.

Bgamer90

Banned
Are you guys forgetting there already is a 1tb sku? The COD AW bundle has the 1tb drive.

They are pretty much sold out though.

But yeah, I can't see every SKU going back to being $400 or more after the Holiday season. I think the 500 GB model will stay $350.

LDAF

c78.gif

You stole my response. :'(

I think they are just seeing if they can close the gap in the US/UK with this price point for the holidays. If it does I think they will release $399 standalone with a choice of a first party title. If PS4 is still running away with the lead then I think they will keep the $349 standalone and probably introduce a $399 1TB bundle by Feb/March to combat some of PS4 big AAA releases around that time.

Hell. No. That would be a good way to kill your momentum and sour potential consumers. They'll come up with some PR spin to let everyone know though. "Because of unprecedented demand..." yada yada.

SpotAnime

If anything the "limited time" message was to scare up additional holiday sales.

Absolutely. No reason to say the price will remain at $350 after January 3. Then there wouldn't be any urgency from consumers to snatch one up in time for Christmas.

Cidd

I got mine for $200 with gift cards I had laying around, so far I'm liking it but Microsoft must be losing millions with all these price drops, Kinect removal, bundles etc.

Going back to $399 is suicide imo.

Should have never dropped the price to begin with. Should have given a year of Live for free instead. I think that's less of a hit to their wallets and they get people invested in the service.

Cidd

Should have never dropped the price to begin with. Should have given a year of Live for free instead. I think that's less of a hit to their wallets and they get people invested in the service.

Why care about MS wallets and not your own?

I'm sure they can spare a few millions..

I got a year of live free for buying my console at best buy earlier this month :) Traded in my old 360 and controllers and ended up paying $160 for the assassin's creed bunduru.

Top Bottom