• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will XBO go back to U$399 after the holidays?

c78.gif

No.

They've said the AC bundle is only for the holidays, I don't know if they will leave vanilla console at $349 on its own but personally i'd stick Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive bundles in there (2 separate bundles)

Keep the Kinect bundle at $449 and put KSR and Dance Central (or Fantasia) in it too

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Unless they change the configuration, they'd be stupid too.

But if they add a free game and 1TB hard drive then yes, they can justify bumping the price back up.

But the current version? They'd be stupid to go back up. Even at the current price I doubt they're losing much money if any at all.

dr_rus

They should drop it to $299.
Going back to $399 when Sony will start launching big PS4 titles means that XBO will become irrelevant by this time next year. Even $349 isn't going to be enough to stay in the game.

(Talking worldwide here obviously. $349 may be a good price to fight PS4 in the home market.)

J3ffro

If they would like to continue selling consoles after January 2nd they need to keep the price down. After having it at $350 or less for several months, I can't imagine many people would be enthused to drop $400+ on an X1. This wasn't a short term Black Friday sale, it was a long term price drop.

GamerJM

Banned
If they do this then I'm interested in seeing how bad January's sales numbers are. I have no doubts they'll bring it back down to 350$ sometime in the March-June period if they do it.

Microsoft will put out some PR like "Due to popular demand...," and basically find some reason to keep the price drop permanent.

Raising the price will cannibalize sales.

Yea its probably a permanent price drop internally, but to make ppl rush out and buy it they're pretending its holiday only

Only thing i wanna know is how much money they're losing on these bundles/sales.

I'd laugh so hard if they raised the price.

They'd be fucked if they did.
But then again, they're going to be fucked if they don't.

LosDaddie

Banned
Possibly, and it's maybe even likely to happen. At least for a few months into 2015. People on GAF like to talk about MS' wealth as if it's a bad thing, but MS will raise the price back to $400 if it's hurting their bottom line. MS cares far more about profit than winning a console war.

If Sony stays at $400, then that's just all the more reason for the X1 to got back to $400. When 2 products are in such direct competition with each other, having the cheaper product can sometimes be a bad image.

I tend to think MS will either keep a 2 game bundle going and have it priced at $400, or take out the games and priced at $350. It all really depends how the X1 did this Christmas season.

Will he a hard message to pass to consumers if they do..

Not at all. It'd be the same as any other manufacturer ending a sale on their product. Happens all the time.

BPoole

I don't think so. Their commercials say "Now only $349". It's said in a way that has permanence, not holidays only

Banned
No chance in hell. Not the way it has sold since the promotion. Microsoft is probably pleased with the $350 price tag.

JP

I was going to say that they wouldn't be stupid enough to raise the price after gaining a bit of momentum but who the hell knows these days.

Oh, wow, you guys throwing XBO Slims theories one year in? I mean, I'm not saying they won't, but isn't that like year-two strategy?

Yeah i think they will due to the fact it was a holiday bundle only til Jan 3rd. They can still keep it at $399 and just add an incentive like a 1yr LIVE or free game of choice to keep buyers interested.

They should drop it to $299.
Going back to $399 when Sony will start launching big PS4 titles means that XBO will become irrelevant by this time next year. Even $349 isn't going to be enough to stay in the game.

(Talking worldwide here obviously. $349 may be a good price to fight PS4 in the home market.)

I don't see how that's even feasible. Yes, Sony's going to get a big push in February/March from Bloodborne & The Order. But how does that exactly make the XBox "irrelevant". You're always going to have people who decide to buy their new console just before MGS V, Evolve, Witcher, or any of the other major spring releases - and with the right marketing campaign (bolstered by a likely dashboard update), the ONE stands pretty evenly with the PS4 in the consumer's eye. By the time big Spring titles are hitting for XBox, a solid amount of time will have passed since the holiday sale. The buying audience then likely isn't interested now.

I think a bundle would still be important though. Bring the Sunset Overdrive console out of retirement, give it another run. (It's the one I bought, white's a gorgeous color for that machine/controller. No clue why that's not standard.)

Jomjom

Banned
Microsoft will put out some PR like "Due to popular demand...," and basically find some reason to keep the price drop permanent.

Raising the price will cannibalize sales.

Yup it's super obvious what their PR is going to say.

Something along the lines of

"We here at the Xbox Team are humbled by the overwhelming response to our holiday promotion for the Xbox One Entertainment System. ________ millions of Xbox fans around the United States, both old and new, helped propel the Xbox One into the number one spot for home console sales for the months of November and December. We've heard you loud and clear that you see great value in the Xbox One system and the high quality games that were included with the console at $349.99. Therefore, we have decided that the new suggested MSRP for the Xbox One with one game of your choice will remain at $349.99. The start of the new year will be a perfect time for you and your friends to jump in and enjoy the console with the best exclusives like Halo: Master Chief Collection*!"

*Individual online experiences may vary. Microsoft does not guarantee that you and your friends can jump in and play online.

Yoday

There is no way they can go back up to a flat $400 for just the system, as sales would absolutely tank. What we will probably see is the system alone for $350 so that they can keep the price point, and then a bundle at $400.

Bricky

Even if it does it would get a permanent price drop soon after.

Microsoft isn't going to compete with Sony at the same price this gen and win, so much has become clear.

Kilau

Gold Member
I think raising the price back up would just kill sales as most people would wait for the inevitable drop in price to occur again.

cakely

It's extremely unlikely, in my opinion. It might not be the AC: Unity bundle but there will be an Xbox One available for $350.

Yup it's super obvious what their PR is going to say.

Something along the lines of

"We here at the Xbox Team are humbled by the overwhelming response to our holiday promotion for the Xbox One Entertainment System. ________ millions of Xbox fans around the United States, both old and new, helped propel the Xbox One into the number one spot for home console sales for the months of November and December. We've heard you loud and clear that you see great value in the Xbox One system and the high quality games that were included with the console at $349.99. Therefore, we have decided that the new suggested MSRP for the Xbox One with one game of your choice will remain at $349.99. The start of the new year will be a perfect time for you and your friends to jump in and enjoy the console with the best exclusives like Halo: Master Chief Collection*!"

*Individual online experiences may vary. Microsoft does not guarantee that you and your friends can jump in and play online.
We have the next Major Nelson right here. :p

Mooreberg

I think there will be new SKUs that are not the over the top value of the black Friday bundles, but still better than $399 without a game. Too much momentum would be lost in the first half of the year to go back to numbers like they had in the preceding months. The only potential catch is that a drop to $299 in May or June could be underwhelming if they have been selling the hardware with a $60 game for $349 leading up to it. Black Friday was probably the best time to buy until similar bundle deals appear next November with the lower MSRP.

smurfx

get some go again
they are going to get destroyed if they go back to 399. they might stay at 349.99 but offer no more free games. they might also stay at 349.99 and offer a bigger hardrive.

Well, I don't expect the fire sale to stay after the holidays. Is it going to go to $399 as the press release states? I dont see how they can as they have set a certain price in then consumer's mind for the last two months.

I think going to $349 is the most sensible thing for them to do if they don't plan on keeping the current price. If they bring it to $399, consumers will just lol to the next thing.

If it stays at $349 after this month I think it was disingenuous to say this was a promotion that ends January 3rd. They are basically saying buy now or else it will be more expensive. It sends a strange message to folks if that just becomes the normal price going forward, because what if they purchased earlier than expected because of fear it would not be at this price again for some time.

freakzilla3000

I honestly can't see them doing this. They have momentum, they apparently found the right price point and I think they need to keep it where it is.

We will see.

Top Bottom