• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

MaLDo

There is a lack of AF more noticeable on the street but, what about that red sign texture?

001.jpg

And where is the coloured lighting over the character?

002.jpg

Bummer. I'm curious how noticeable the difference would be on my TV though compared to these zoomed in shots. That comparison with the last gen versions is just pathetic though.

I'm kind of hoping that the trend of the two consoles trading back and forth for having the best version of multiplats continues, it'll make it easier to justify getting an Xbox for me.

No, it's not. Why would devs intentionally leave it out if the Xbone has AF?

People have weird argumentations when it comes to trying to make people shut up about the AF issues. I don't see how it is cleared up until a developer that actually worked on a game with this issue comments on it with some degree of detail.

People state in the threads before that it is simply not a hardware issue because if it was ALL titles would suffer from this issue. This is an issue due to dev choice and the only way to know what is going on is for the dev to ask them. Suggesting that this is a problem with the console as many people already have is simply illogical.

Apathy

Yeah... it would be nice if DF contacted some people about this trend.

Getting a real answer instead of being able to write a new article every time this happens (and not when it doesn't). No way in hell. Need those clicks.

It's funny how easy a site like Eurogamer would be to ask one of the many developers and companies they know and try to get an answer if it wasa choice for fps or of it is a SDK thing

Getting a real answer instead of being able to write a new article every time this happens (and not when it doesn't). No way in hell. Need those clicks.

It's funny how easy a site like Eurogamer would be to ask one of the many developers and companies they know and try to get an answer if it wasa choice for fps or of it is a SDK thing

getting actual investigative journalism from the gaming press? wut?

Oaktree

Banned
UE3 definitely suffer more of this issue. But other multiplat engines too show this problem.

Probably because they don't know how to fix it.

Okay I see. I see the SDK tools being mentioned. Hopefully it's just a small fix/update to the tools.

Three

People tend to change their mind when it suits them. Go in the Battlefield Hardline thread and 900p has suddenly become good now (which i agree with by the way) but its not good in all those 100 page DF comparison threads from before.

900p is completely fine. 720p for battlefield is low for me. Messes with distant enemies but I can play it no probs. 900p battlefield 4 looks great on ps4. You are right tho. A lot of people shift their opinions. This lack of af needs addressing tho

I know people have turned it into a stupid 'meme' on this foum but from where i game on my bed, i can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, never mind 900p and 1080p.
Bad AF is noticeable from almost any distance though and makes the game look way worse. it effects the image quality much more than resolution (for me)..

Both of you mind pointing out who those people are instead of making blanket statements? Because clearly you were reading another Hardline Thread. Everybody was complaining. If anything I've seen you (Jaysimple) change your tune about graphical differences depending on the thread. I remember you were even banned in one for thread whining.

Also here is an image of resolution difference at the same magnification as the pics here. I'm not going to try and convince you but I'm posting it here because of this part of your comment

it effects the image quality much more than resolution (for me)

because I certainly am not convinced by that argument

f-1080pCOD2550089a700187fef.png

f-1080pCOD550087e700187fed.png

Edit:
You know that those items captured are from an extreme distance, right? whereas AF issues can be seen from just a few feet away, and not just a little blurrier or jaggier, we're talking eraser blurred textures or non existing artwork

Those aren't extreme distances

here are the original images for reference

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/ar.../0/PS4_009.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/3/6/5/8/0/XO_009.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Loakum

Banned
This is definitely a thing that's happening (for whatever reason) and it seems like something that can be fixed. It's not a so called deal breaker, but the sooner this is corrected, the better.

viveks86

Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.

o_O

Journey

Banned
Both of you mind pointing out who those people are instead of making blanket statements? Because clearly you were reading another Hardline Thread. Everybody was complaining. If anything I've seen you (Jaysimple) change your tune about graphical differences depending on the thread. I remember you were even banned in one for thread whining.

Also here is an image of resolution difference at the same magnification as the pics here. I'm not going to try and convince you but I'm posting it here because of this part of your comment

You know that those items captured are from an extreme distance, right? whereas AF issues can be seen from just a few feet away, and not just a little blurrier or jaggier, we're talking eraser blurred textures or non existing artwork.

RetroStu

Banned

I wasn't talking about some zoomed in screenshots, of course there is a clear difference then, just like there is a clear difference when i go right up to my TV.
What i said was "From where i game from" which is on my bed. I struggle to see a difference between resolutions on my 32inch TV from my bed, bad AF is glaringly obvious though.

Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.
What the hell is going on with this?

That's... horrible.

Thanks itsy really odd to see the lack of proper AF on ps4. Hope it gets solved soon

As I said, it only affects a small number of games, so it isn't AS big of a problem as some make it out to be, but it is absolutely a huge problem in the games it does affect. Since the number is growing slowly people are making a bigger and bigger stink about it so I imagine we won't see this happen terribly too much more and hopefully by next year we won't ever see it again.
It'd also be nice if some devs patch the AF problems in their games. Capcom in general needs to make sure some PS4 patches go out for the games they've published. It's pretty hilarious will all the deals Sony is striking with them that their multiplatform games are worse on PS4.

impact

Banned
This is definitely a thing that's happening (for whatever reason) and it seems like something that can be fixed. It's not a so called deal breaker, but the sooner this is corrected, the better.

Too bad there's already countless PS4 games that this shit has ruined. Sony fucked up. Sony should fix their fuckups asap. This is getting out of hand.

Too bad there's already countless PS4 games that this shit has ruined. Sony fucked up. Sony should fix their fuckups asap. This is getting out of hand.

Not sure if you are being serious, because I can count them very easily on two hands with fingers to spare.
You're not being serious right, I literally can't tell.

Montresor

jesus, Ninja Theory...

I doubt in-game this difference would matter or make someone pause and stop in their tracks to even 10 people in the whole world. What PS4 gamer is going to pause while in the heat of battle and say "gosh I still have the comparison shot vivid in my memory, this does not look good". I remember people losing their fucking minds over how awful the rivets looked on the abandoned plane in Tomb Raider XB1's intro compared to PS4, one year ago. And when I played that part on XB1 I wasn't going to pause and zoom in on the rivets in Tomb Raider while I'm enjoying the set pieces / story / game play.

Elandyll

Banned
WTF... The Playstation 4 isn't looking so hot lately. Is this a hardware issue?

No.

And in fact pretending that it could be a hardware issue isn't helping.

Form Infamous Second Son's review (March 2014)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-infamous-second-son

Image quality purists should also note that anisotropic filtering is fully present and accounted for - unlike a number of other recent PS4 releases.

It's not Hardware. At all.

The remaining possible culprits are:

- The SDK (but then -every- single 3rd party title would have a lack or problem with AF).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-dragon-age-inquisition-face-off

As the developer revealed, Dragon Age runs at 900p on Xbox One and 1080p on PlayStation 4. The console versions both appear to use the same post-process anti-aliasing technique. As expected, this looks significantly cleaner when paired with the native 1080p image of the PS4 release, but still works well enough on Xbox One. Both versions also utilise HBAO and implement decent anisotropic filtering, though the lower resolution on Xbox One does leave textures looking a touch blurrier.

NOPE. Not the SDK.

Other proof: Alien Isolation (both PS4 and XB1 run it @ 1080p30):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alien-isolation-face-off

Generally speaking, texture quality, modelling and lighting are a match between consoles and PC running at ultra settings. Texture filtering also appears to be identical. with all three versions operating using 16x anisotropic filtering, although there are a few discrepancies where some surfaces are filtered more cleanly on one system than another. The PC does benefit when it comes to shadows and ambient occlusion though. The use of contact-hardening soft shadows creates smooth-looking diffused edges, which appear more natural thanks to hard-edged shadows with dithered filtering. Meanwhile, HDAO appears to be present across all three formats, although the effect is a little more buggy on PC. Some surfaces seem to lack coverage in certain scenes, while the effect is visibly present elsewhere. [UPDATE 12/10/14 09:36: Creative Assembly has confirmed that HDAO isn't implemented on console].

Which leaves ... The engines? Or the Devs themselves (choice for performance balance, or skill if complicated ... or?), OR whatever tools used to port Direct X titles to OpenGL (the PS4 version)...

Afaik so far, 4 engines are known in games that have had problems:

- Chrome Engine 6 (Dying Light)
- Cry engine 4 (Evolve)
- Unreal Engine 3 (Strider, Thief, Murdered: Soul Suspect, DmC)
- Unreal Engine 4 (Dying Light)

About UE3, it's a bummer that DF didn't do a Tech Analysis or Face off on Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments, as it is a prominent title that uses UE3. If anyone who has the game can pitch in on the quality of AF there, you are more than welcome.

Also, not sure what engine Saints Row 4 uses (it does have some AF problems on PS4)

Engines known to have had good AF on PS4:

- Frosbite 3 (DAI...)
- No specific problems had been reported (afaik) on the Ubisoft titles (AC or Far Cry) or the Activision ones (whether COD or Desinty, both using in house engines)

It is to be noted that Alien Isolation also features an in house engine which pushes 16x Anisotropic filtering @ 180p30 on PS4 (according to DF/ some very minor fps drops and no tearing throughout thanks to vsync).

Oaktree

Banned
You know, I've lurked around on neogaf for awhile before considering a membership and have seen a lot of developers on the forums, but has there ever been a developer come here and explain specific problems with developing a game on a certain platform?

They might have gag orders against that, right?

MaLDo

MaLDo

Maybe not "great", but it's definitely there (as noted in DF, and in the GAF member photo posted below).

10264052_1442779722633739_4909274235373259115_o.jpg

credit: Lockonstratos
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108608019&postcount=180

Alien Isolation also hits a 16x AF at 1080p30, as mentionned previously.

Games can use different AF per texture/material. This screenshot shows an AF value in brickroad texture that is not present in the grass texture in the same shot.

Screenshots I posted before show a really low AF value sometimes really similar to regular trilinear.

Elandyll

Banned
Games can use different AF per texture/material. This screenshot shows an AF value in brickroad texture that is not present in the grass texture in the same shot.

Screenshots I posted before show a really low AF value sometimes really similar to regular trilinear.

Your post has stamp sized pictures with no link for me to go back to the source though, and you are evading my point:
(nm, I found where to click to enlarge the pic. All the shots you posted do have AF to some varying degree as far as I can tell).

So, these shots DO have AF, and Alien Isolation has a 16x. So what now?

Top Bottom