• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aren't the Fast and Furious crews straight up villains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
Does this look like a villain to you?

tumblr_mnf4qcqcJ01r2nspeo1_400.gif

lol I just noticed he starts flying before the car makes impact. Dominic Toretto is a super hero confirmed.
I always loved another car ends up "breaking the fall" as if a fucking speeding hulk of metal doesnt carry the same organ-exploding potential as the pavement.

ultra7k

Just remember,

"Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore please.

In the crossover movie Jason Statham would have already killed all of The Avengers moments before the opening scene, leaving Vin Diesel and The Rock to head to space, one quarter mile at a time, and pass Mjolnir back and forth while they tag-team Thanos. Vin picks up the infinity gauntlet and uses it to create the fastest car in the universe, then beats it in a drag race using a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. Ride or die.

In the crossover movie Jason Statham would have already killed all of The Avengers moments before the opening scene, leaving Vin Diesel and The Rock to head to space, one quarter mile at a time, and pass Mjolnir back and forth while they tag-team Thanos. Vin picks up the infinity gauntlet and uses it to create the fastest car in the universe, then beats it in a drag race using a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. Ride or die.
8QmIp.gif

Brakke

Banned
EviLore's enthusiasm for these movies is souring my own. These movies are about sticking it to The Man! The Man doesn't get to like them!

EviLore's enthusiasm for these movies is souring my own. These movies are about sticking it to The Man! The Man doesn't get to like them!

omg you're right

brb boycotting gaf's enjoyment of this movie

actually no, wait, maybe just not caring and not even considering that this movie exists is the best way to protest

BadAss2961

Brian vs Cap
Dom vs Thor
Hobbs vs Hulk
Tej vs Iron Man
Letty vs Widow
Han vs Hawkeye
Roman vs Quicksilver
Gisele vs Witch

Make it happen. The Avengers would job somehow because Dom has to go over. He would lift Thor's hammer and beat him with it.

Despera

Banned
They should hire you to write the next one.

Although you may be a tad too old for that.

dejay

Banned
Does this look like a villain to you?

tumblr_mnf4qcqcJ01r2nspeo1_400.gif

lol I just noticed he starts flying before the car makes impact. Dominic Toretto is a super hero confirmed.

Man, I stopped watching these movies some time ago because of shit like that. That's just stupid.

I stopped at 4? with the CGI tunnel chase.

BashNasty

Man, I stopped watching these movies some time ago because of shit like that. That's just stupid.

I stopped at 4? with the CGI tunnel chase.

That shit isn't stupid at all, it's hilariously amazing, and I pity anyone who can't see it like that.

big ander

They're destructive as hell but their "morality" isn't hard to deal with if you've ever watched a western or a film noir or like a HK John Woo movie
Raid? Raid.
Uh, no. Raid.

Fake edit: beaten

different kinds of action. Fast & Furious series scratches a different itch for me than the martial arts of the Raid series (though the car chases in Berendal came close).

and yes there'll be a Raid 3.

dejay

Banned
Your loss.
Best action series going on right now besides Dan Craig Bonds.

I know it's my issue, but outside of comic book movies or movies presented in that style, I really can't handle a lot of bullshit physics in movies. Vin Diesel in that GIF is supposed to be a normal person. However, after a high speed impact with someone in mid-air, instead of being bits of broken meat, they merely crack a windshield and look deeply into each other's eyes.

big_z

In the last fast and furious movie Dom will be the only survivor of his crew, captured by law and found guilty for all the chaos and death he's caused. His sentencing, cryosleep. The movie title...

The Fast and the Furyan

God these movies are such stupid fun.

I watched 4-6 yesterday in anticipation for 7.

Gonna round up some friends and marathon it before we go see 7.

I'm so glad the Rock joined the cast. Dude is pure charisma and I could never hate any role he plays.

The rock should fight predator Arnold style in a movie

SmithnCo

Yeah they definitely killed some cops unless they miraculously survived high-speed collisions with a bank vault

But we don't see it so it's okay

Bold One

oh they're definately bad guys, romanticising the heist cowboys lifestyle reminiscent of the Serenity crew.

The only reason they aren't the de facto villains, is because they tend not to be the worst assholes in the room

big ander

It's hard to shake that the recent intense fandom of these movies is fueled almost entirely by irony

where does it seem like people are being ironic? The people I know who got me into them and the people I've since shown them to love them genuinely. acknowledgement of the way the series breaks physics in two and is essentially a family soap crossed with globe-trotting crime doesn't necessarily lead to ironic enjoyment. I legitimately love those qualities.

EDIT: and I wouldn't've mentioned it if there weren't multiple references, but people: Firefly/Serenity was not the first piece of media with outlaws in the west or space. the entire point of the series is that it's pastiche of existing materials.

Foggy

where does it seem like people are being ironic? The people I know who got me into them and the people I've since shown them to love them genuinely. acknowledgement of the way the series breaks physics in two and is essentially a family soap crossed with globe-trotting crime doesn't necessarily lead to ironic enjoyment. I legitimately love those qualities.

EDIT: and I wouldn't've mentioned it if there weren't multiple references, but people: Firefly/Serenity was not the first piece of media with outlaws in the west or space. the entire point of the series is that it's pastiche of existing materials.

It's just one of those things, it's hard to shake. It's probably just the first series of films in a while for people to be so jubilant about absurd/stupid action and usually when there's such a substantial outpouring of love for something like this, it's couched in irony. There's definitely room to legit love this series of movies, it's just crazy to me to see such an influx of love for the series since the last movie. I mean hell, it's not like all these people would go crazy over XXX if it came out today.

big ander

It's just one of those things, it's hard to shake. It's probably just the first series of films in a while for people to be so jubilant about absurd/stupid action and usually when there's such a substantial outpouring of love for something like this, it's couched in irony. There's definitely room to legit love this series of movies, it's just crazy to me to see such an influx of love for the series since the last movie. I mean hell, it's not like all these people would go crazy over XXX if it came out today.

I get what you're saying, but I think it makes sense when you consider the current environment. People have always enjoyed gigantic muscular action movies. There weren't many good ones in the previous decade--there were ones like XXX (which you semi-imply is on the same level as F&F, which is not true). Mainstream action and adventure moved more and more towards that now-mocked "grittiness", tried to be cripplingly serious. The last ~2 entries in this franchise have realized that you don't have to be dour to be dramatically interesting, all while putting fantastic humongous action back on screens.

this_guy

Brian vs Cap
Dom vs Thor
Hobbs vs Hulk
Tej vs Iron Man
Letty vs Widow
Han vs Hawkeye
Roman vs Quicksilver
Gisele vs Witch

Make it happen. The Avengers would job somehow because Dom has to go over. He would lift Thor's hammer and beat him with it.

I'd have to think Dom, Bryan, and the Rock are all worthy to pick up mjolner. Avengers don't have a chance.

they should finish it with this one now that the gawd Brian is out. or give us a cross-over with mad max. they drive so fast that they end up in the future and run into mad max in the post-apocalyptic world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom