• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Red Comet

Wow, wow, I am incredibly impressed. Specs:

4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
780 Ti SLI
16 GB RAM

After completing the prologue, completing Franklin's first mission, driving around Los Santos, flying a blimp around Los Santos, and then blowing up said Blimp, I didn't notice the frame rate drop below 60 FPS even one time unless Fraps is lying to me.

I left all of the graphics settings at default, which means most settings are maxed except for shadows I believe, which are at high. I also left MSAA off completely in favor of FXAA. And I left all of the advanced graphical settings untouched that were off by default. This is at 1080p, by the way.

I'll actually have a Titan X soon, so I'm interested in seeing what it looks like with all of the bells and whistles on, which the extra VRAM headroom should allow. And at 4K eventually. Already the game is a noticeable improvement over the PS4 version at the settings I'm using, and of course it goes without saying how nice 60 FPS is.

Meh, game just runs inconsistently on my system that I just will wait until I get an SSD drive and a new CPU to play it.

My current SSD is not even big enough to fit, (60gb SSD.)

My specs

Intel Pentium G3258 clocked @ 4.3ghz
R9 280 3GB
8GB DDR3 RAM
Win 8.1 64 bit.

When the game first started it ran beautifully on high/very high settings at a mostly locked 60fps but once it got to Franklin's mission it started to dip into the 30's and 40's constantly. Then there was this freaking annoying streaming issue where parts of the map was see through and not loading fast enough. Meh.

Dennis

Banned
To people who are impressed at the performance you do realise that means they could have given us even better graphics if they wanted to, right?

You see great performance, I see insufficient graphical options.

I don't know what's going on it finally finished downloading and started to verify files, then all of a sudden shaved off 15 gigs and started downloading again.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Does anyone else seem to have stutter/jitter when looking around with the mouse? Even though my FPS counter shows 60, it seems like the game stutters or jitters a bit during panning/zoom scenes. It was very noticeable during the intro sequence.

Running on pretty much all maxed with FXAA.
Specs:
i5-4670k
MSI GTX 970
8 gb ram

Asgaro

I need impressions from people with only 1 GB of VRAM.
Preferably playing on 1080p with NO AA.

What settings can I expect to keep the VRAM usage under/around 1 GB?
All on Low?
All on Medium?
A mix?

Shawsie64

Banned
Hows the audio options guys? Will be playing on my HTPC projector with home theatre audio setup, be great if it supported 5.1 which im sure it does.

Nick_crx

Banned
To people who are impressed at the performance you do realise that means they could have given us even better graphics if they wanted to, right?

Still looks better than any other open world game to date.

Give them credit.

Dinjoralo

After changing some overclocking bits with my CPU, and fiddling with the ingame settings, I'm still unable to get a smooth 60 like other people are getting. Driving in particular makes the game constantly go below 50.

I don't see anyone with locked 60 fps out in the hill areas, including those of us with SLI, so I'd say pushing the graphics much higher would be a mistake.

Edit: To clarify, I mean with all settings max.

Anyone else getting some stuttering during cutscenes and driving?

I did before I took extended scaling all the way down. I get steady 60ish most of the time. I only drop to around 40 when driving super fast around a bunch of people. I'm having freezing problems on a certain mission and textures disapearing during the online part where I can't even get past the credits. :(

Lol, the grass is murdering my frames. I get 55-60 in the city, then they tank to 30 in the hills.

Edit: Thank god for gsync. Granted, a 30 fps drop is still pretty noticeable.

Happy to hear it has native borderless windowed support. I should be trying this out in about 5 minutes if the time remaining in Steam is accurate (ha).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Vehicle density is nice. Performance is steady.

gta52015-04-1323-25-37vpz6.png

gta52015-04-1323-26-07wp8n.png

Sorry if this has been asked, but how do people get the 60Hhz option to appear?

I'm playing through my Sony KDL60W850B and the highest it shows is 59Hz..

seems like a good port, miles ahead of gta4.

pleased with my performance on a 2500k @ 4.2, 8 gigs of ram, and a 970, yeah I cant max everything but it runs much better than gta4 did when it came out.

Playing on an i5 4670k, 16GB Memory, SSD, Asus Strix 970.

Playing at 1080. ALMOST all settings maxed in windowed borderless mode. For the most part the FPS hovers at about 70s. Every now and then it will dip to 45 but shoot right back up. I did keep the advanced graphics settings off, long shadows etc. Game is estimating I am using about 2800MB video memory.

Game is far far more enjoyable than on the consoles. So glad I sold my X1 copy last week. Totally worth it.

Edit: Just reviewed some recordings. During the action chasing the Yacht I was at between 55-63 FPS. Pretty impressed with how optimized the game is.

blado

Running the game @1440p with a gtx 980 and a 3570k 4.4GHz. Everything runs well at close to 60 until I leave the city, then things drop into the mid 50s. I guess I should lower the grass setting.

EDIT: My game keep pausing at random. Maybe it's because I'm in fullscreen windowed mode?

darthbob

I need impressions from people with only 1 GB of VRAM.
Preferably playing on 1080p with NO AA.

What settings can I expect to keep the VRAM usage under/around 1 GB?
All on Low?
All on Medium?
A mix?

My GTX 570 (1.3GB VRAM) is running the game fairly well at 1080p locked to 30FPS with High Textures, and High-Very High everything else (no AA)

Asgaro

I need a favour:
Can someone put all settings on Low and disable as much graphics settings as possible?

So if you have the choices Low/Medium/..., pick Low.
If you have the choices Off/Low/Medium/..., pick Off.

I want to know the reported VRAM usage.
Preferably, choose 1080p as resolution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those who have the game running well, can you check you:

"C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData"

folder and see if there is a

"Local *bunch of random japanese characters*" file in that folder?

I have the BEX64 error, and that file keeps getting created.

InfYn

lel

Very solid performance on my 4690k / 970, have noticed GPU usage bouncing around at odd numbers though, anyone else getting this? this is at 1080p.

Also noticed after the new game ready driver GeForce experience no longer boots into the systray at startup for me which sucks.

Any tips on reducing shimmering in DoP shots? Foreground looks great with no aliasing but the blurred backgrounds have lots of shimmering that's really distracting.

Damerman

I'm playing on Gsync, so i hardly notice the variability in frames. this game runs perfectly for me. i had to restart my computer because it was crashing... but after the restart, the game runs flawlessly. I try to keep the "advanced graphics" stuff low, as that noticeably keeps me under 40-35ish frames.

Kvik

A question: If one has a dual monitor setup, can you force the game to load in the secondary monitor, instead of the primary one?

Asgaro

My GTX 570 (1.3GB VRAM) is running the game fairly well at 1080p locked to 30FPS with High Textures, and High-Very High everything else (no AA)

Thanks, that sounds positive! :D
I would be already happy to run it in 1080p with steady 30 FPS with all settings on Medium and no AA.

I have an AMD HD 6950 1 GB (yes, the rare 1 GB version; not 2 GB).
All other hardware parts are good (Intel i5 3570K @ around 4.1 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, SSD).

Glad to hear 1 GB VRAM could potentially work out!

Landford

Banned
Thanks, that sounds positive! :D
I would be already happy to run it in 1080p with steady 30 FPS with all settings on Medium and no AA.

I have an AMD HD 6950 1 GB (yes, the rare 1 GB version; not 2 GB).
All other hardware parts are good (Intel i5 3570K @ around 4.1 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, SSD).

Glad to hear 1 GB VRAM could potentially work out!

My HD6850 (A little lower than yours, 1GB too) is not even reaching 20 fps on the first mission (With Lamar) on lowest settings.

E3 1230 V2 (Server equivalent of i7 3770)
8GB RAM
GTX670 2GB
Windows 8

1920x1080, FXAA, all High, turn up Extended Draw Distance for a bit, locked at 59fps during the bank robbery scene, drops to 55 if I turn on MSAA and TXAA. VRAM usage is around 1.5GB.

scitek

With the advanced graphics settings off and everything else maxed, except shadows and AA, I get 30+fps at 4K on my single 970. At least in this one section of the city I tried for 2 minutes.

Downsampled from 4K

gta5_2015_04_13_21_3686z3m.png

Methos#1975

Runs pretty well on the Alienware Alpha i3, busting the VRAM limit with everything in very high and MSAA off and still maintaining around 35fps downsampling from 1440p. At 1080p I hover around 50 with drops to 45.

2560x1440 at high settings and no MSAA, I can get 57-60fps just about everywhere with 2x 970's. With very high the frames drop to drop to 45-50's.

Seeing a lot of people at 1440p with 2x 980's have issues as well trying to stay at 60 with everything maxed. Still it is a decent port, loving every bit of it.

GPU: Geforce GTX 970
CPU: i7 - 5790k @ 4.00Ghz
Memory: 16g
Windows 10

In settings it says the games memory is full and the game is running around 8FPS

I don't understand why :(

I've got the same stutter people are reporting in this thread and other places. Turning vsync off doesn't help. Turning it on makes my fps hover around 55 with drops causing stutter still. Turning on half (30 fps option i think) makes the game run at 25ish fps with stutter. At this point im thinking its driver related.

PikkonX

It runs very well in 1080P on the 270x. I tried it Crossfired and with one 270x and High-Very High settings seem to offer 45-60FPS gameplay. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play too long due to a crashing issue. It would crash every time I entered a certain section of the city. Ran a file integrity check via Steam and looks like I have to redownload 13 files equaling 20GB....So much for pulling an all-nighter....

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Can this please be the OT for the next "build your own PC" thread?

Top Bottom