• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

From some of the responses in this topic it looks like after almost two years I can finally say "told you so" to those expecting it to run like shit because of GTA IV.

Dennis

Banned
I find the lack of high quality screenshots disturbing considering this is by far the most anticipated PC game in a couple of years.

Haters say PC GAF fell off, hell I have to agree.

Eh, kinda disappointed. Locked 60 is not possible on a 970 without ruining the IQ. And even maxed out @ 30 it does not look that much better than the PS4 version. Increased density is pretty cool though.

Actually I think I have to take that back. EXTENDED DISTANCE SCALING is the one setting that just seems to break performance and cause random dips. Scaling that back did wonders and now I am indeed getting a locked 60. Nice.

LilJoka

Actually I think I have to take that back. EXTENDED DISTANCE SCALING is the one setting that just seems to break performance and cause random dips. Scaling that back did wonders and now I am indeed getting a locked 60. Nice.

Either running shadows high or shadows very high and low extended shadows does the trick, like 10fps loss otherwise.

Grassy

I'm not done playing around with settings, but this is what I've currently sacrificed to get a smooth 60 fps.
I'm using:

i5-3570k @ 3.4GHz
GTX 670 4GB
8GB RAM

I'm not sure if everything is ideal yet. I kinda want to have tessellation set to high, but it hovers in the 50s while driving when I turn it up from normal.

i7 3770k
670 2 gig
16 gig ram

it's running beautifully at 1080p and a locked 60 with everything on high except shadows on normal. no msaa.

Cool. I have sli 670's(2GB) and I'm hopeful I can run it with similar settings, but at 1440p.

Some people reported this as working to get the game running if it crashes upon startup. I'm redownloading currently (only at 12GB downloaded FML) so I can't try it.

a08c2c5c6c5be285cabc4a4455741618.png

kris.

Banned
That's probably it for me as well I'm alt-tabbing giving some impressions as I play. The stuttering I am experiencing is purely in car, once I am out of the car it's fine.

Same. It was pretty heinous. Crashing into something would ruin my framerate and cause some issues with sound. That's completely gone now after having restarted the game.

This last bit of my 59gb d/l is killing me.

Took a blimp out to the countryside. Pretty high up. Can basically see the other side of the island clear as day. Then I jumped out of said blimp and hurtled to the ground and died. Not a single dropped frame. You're good to go.

Dezeer

I am playing in a laptop with
4800MQ,
8970M 4GB (equivalent to underclocked r9 270),
running from SSD and on
2560×1600 resolution. Edit: Windowed Borderless /Edit

Everything on medium or off, pedestian density and variety at about 25% and draw distance at 100%. Game is running about 40-65 FPS mostly hovering in 55 and mostly 'capping' in 60fps. Run for straight 3h without any performance issues, as in no sudden drops on missing textures or models, noticeable texture pop-in and some model pop-in. latest AMD 15.4. drivers. Memory consumption creeping up to 4GB on RAM and about 3GB on Vram, even as the ingame bar only says 1.4GB Vram.

Having also weird audio cutouts.

Any way to disable chromatic aberration, am I missing some setting?

Yes I would imagine that is the most intense setting in the game. It increases the quality of the level of detail at further distances.

hitgirl

Game crashed on first driving mission. I guess a lot of people are experiencing this? I changed my overclock because I thought that was the problem. And I'm also stuck on a blank launching screen.

Salsa

random, but worth sharing: performance has really increased after moving the game to my SSD

tends to be the norm with some minor stuff and loading times but for whatever reason it really seems to make a clear difference in framerate here. pretty sure it's not just placebo

Ugh i'm confused. Running a evga 980 SC.

Basically near max setting across (only x4 MSAA), and using the benchmark tool in the game is the complication -

Getting average around 100fps according the Precision, but rockstar's benchmark fps counter is giving me like on average 40 frames lower. The game seems silky smooth to me during the benchmark and ingame however, so I can't see it being correct on rockstar's end.

Is precision known for being inaccurate or is rockstar's fps counter not correct?

Edit: 1080 btw

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
https://youtu.be/XqogOwiwLCk

Here is the video I uploaded of the benchmark on my machine. I recorded it using ShadowPlay, which seems to have a 5-15 frame hit on my framerate during the benchmark.

System Configuration:
i7 5820K @4.3Ghz
SLI SLI 970's
16 GB DDR4 Ram

Game is installed on a Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD

Game is installed on my 850 Evo.

5930k 4.4ghz
OC'd G1 970's
16GB 3000mhz DDR4

Playing at 1440p. I get an average of around 65-70fps with every setting maxed EXCEPT no FXAA and 2xMSAA since it hits the VRAM hard so in order to turn up all the advanced GFX settings I had to tone it down to 2XMSAA. Running with TXAA as well. The lowest fps I've had was around 52 briefly. Great running in my opinion.

1440p screenshots, I'm not downsampling since I get great 60fps+ performance 99% of the time.

hlhbk

I got:

Intel 4970k
8 gb RAM
Nvidia Gtx 980

Sum it up please is it a quality port or shit like GTA 4? What kind of performance should I expect with everything maxed at 1080p?

Wallach

I'm uploading a fairly high quality video of my performance when using the 1-button optimization through GeForce Experience.

Video will be up here when it finishes uploading: http://youtu.be/XaquAHgaanE

There are some brief drops that seem to occur when you're loading in new assets for the first time, tends to drop to 50-55 FPS for me when this is happening. It's very brief (though in the video the drops were a little longer since I was recording as well). Once the assets are loaded in that area it returned to 60 FPS each time. I show a couple examples of it when I stop the car while it is in the ~55 FPS region, and it'll return to 60 FPS after a second or so once it catches up.

Honestly it runs and looks awesome, I have no issues with the performance so far. With how much it needs to stream I'm not surprised it chokes a little if you're driving quickly through the city, but even those drops aren't that serious for me. You can judge for yourself I guess. Even those drops could probably be eliminated if you were willing to drop a couple settings (my guess is it'd be lowering shadows off PCSS and pulling in the view distance mostly).

Specs:

i7-4790k @ stock
GTX 970
850 EVO SSD
16GB RAM

Macrotus

8GB RAM
Single 970

Im just using the NVIDIA optimized settings, only thing i changed was I added x2 MSAA.

FPS is usually in the high 50's but when driving its anywhere from 40-59. Advanced options everything was on and bars maxed.

doesnt ever go below that though.

I've tried the same settings and got similar results.
But during sunset, my fps dips to around 30fps.

Piggus

Runs pretty well on the 7970.

1080p
FXAA on
MSAA off
Everything else maxed out except for distance scaling and shadow scaling and I get 40-60 fps during the day and pretty much locked 60 at night. Definitely considering adding a second 7970 now so I can bump up AA. Gonna mess around with some stuff to see what will get me a near-locked 60 fps.

As a side note, shadows set to very high produces some very cool looking shadows at night from your headlights.

I'm eating tons of crow on this one. I didn't think Rockstar would optimize this so well. Amazing.

Corpekata

Banned
I got:

Intel 4970k
8 gb RAM
Nvidia Gtx 980

Sum it up please is it a quality port or shit like GTA 4? What kind of performance should I expect with everything maxed at 1080p?

It'll run great for you. It runs great for me on a lesser rig at 1440p. Might not be able to max the more taxing settings (grass at VH is very taxing) and some of advanced tab items but should be able to max most settings and put a bit of AA on.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I got:

Intel 4970k
8 gb RAM
Nvidia Gtx 980

It's not a shit port. You'll be fine with that rig. Might need to set up a pagefile though.

UnrealEck

If you want more performance with little graphical compromise, you could disable PCSS. I'm betting that's going to be a big hit in areas with a lot of geometry.

The-Bean

Anyone having microstutter? (R9 280x) My FPS is locked to 60, but occasionally the microstutter makes it feels lower. Very noticeable when moving the camera.

23qwerty

random, but worth sharing: performance has really increased after moving the game to my SSD

tends to be the norm with some minor stuff and loading times but for whatever reason it really seems to make a clear difference in framerate here. pretty sure it's not just placebo

Interesting... tempted to do that but damn using up half the capacity of my SSD for one game? idk

scitek

I find the lack of high quality screenshots disturbing considering this is by far the most anticipated PC game in a couple of years.

Enjoying the amazingly well-optimized gameplay too much to care about screenshotting atm. Waited almost two years to play this.

This game has yet to drop below 60fps for me through the first driving mission with everything maxed except shadows on Softer and FXAA on with MSAA off--including sliders. Crazy.

I'm about to pop it in again after the AMD drivers, but maybe people with issues could mess with the ini files? I don't know if that exists or contains more options.

Branson

Hmm. So I'm getting around 40-60 fps maxed at 1080p with this rig
2500k @ 4.5
Gtx980
8GB RAM.

Not using PCSS. AA at MSAA 2x. Very high grass. High shadows. According to other people's benchmarks I should be getting better frames. In the city its usually 50-59. Not a smooth experience at all for me.

I wait until I have proper camera tools to take screenshots. And right now I just want to play it anyways.

Corpekata

Banned
Hmm. So I'm getting around 40-60 fps maxed at 1080p with this rig
2500k @ 4.5
Gtx980
8GB RAM.

Not using PCSS. AA at MSAA 2x. Very high grass. High shadows. According to other people's benchmarks I should be getting better frames. In the city its usually 50-59. Not a smooth experience at all for me.

I'd knock grass down, it seems to be one of the most demanding settings. Are any of the Advanced Graphics options on?

So, tried to join a friend's game, and the LODs don't load properly. And then the game crashes soon after. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Single player still seems to work fine, though.

Edit: Yeah, now it's happening even when I just connect normally. Holy crap, online is practically broken for me.

i5 3570
msi gtx 970
8gb ram

getting 40-50fps while driving around and running around certain parts of the city. Tried fiddling with the settins a bit, but it remains unchanged. I just set everything to high and I think it barely made a different with the performance. Still getting the same fps with everything "max" at 1080p.

Do i have to drop stuff down to medium to get some better performance? It's also kinda annoying that it asks you to restart the game when you change some settings.

Yes I would imagine that is the most intense setting in the game. It increases the quality of the level of detail at further distances.

Upon further testing the 4 settings that make or break performance for me are:

- MSAA (who would have thought)
- Ultra grass quality (very high does wonders)
- High res shadows in advanced graphics
- Extended distance scaling in advanced graphics
edit: You can also add "reflection quality". Ultra is quite demanding.

Tweaking this and maxing out the rest gives me 60 locked it seems. But I haven't entered a plane or a heli yet, so that might change things up....

Jin

980 Sli @1440p and the country side tanks my performance at max setting. Standing on the bridge near the docks and looking at the city does the same. Turning off all feature under the Advance Graphics tab shoots it back up to 60. I suggest not tweaking that setting and work the normal graphics tab until you get stable 60. Then go back and mess around.

etta

my hard graphic balls
For me personally this runs like a dream. I've played online mostly, and it is optimized as hell from what I can tell. My 2500k at 4.6GHz, 680 2GB, 16GB RAM just eats this game up. There are very, very few drops from 60fps in GTA O, and the game is mostly maxed out. Some settings are off, such as AA (FXAA is enabled) and all the Advanced Graphics ones, and few are turned down, but it's mostly a maxed out experience. And it is so beautiful, I am at a loss of words. The 60fps improves GTA O far beyond what I believed it to.

Top Bottom