• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Project CARS Performance Analysis (PS4/XB1)

cackhyena

Hmm atleast on PC you can drop settings to hit 60fps constant. Being a racing sim, 60fps should have been number 1 priority not graphics. Seems like they are cashing in on the graphics audience as thats what everyone keeps talking about.

I wonder what you can drop in the setting on consoles to maybe get a better performance? Wasn't it touted recently that there's a lot more to play with than the average console game?

Again, the pcars engine does much more than DC. It's like comparing simulation like arma to a cod game.

This means nothing to me to be honest. It's the same with AC:U, people say it does so much more than a lot of other open world games, but it runs like dog shit. So the fact that this game does much more under the hood than DC for example doesn't impress me in the slightest because the game's performance isn't solid. They could still have a complex simulation engine and solid performance by simply turning down/off some effects/better optimizing their game.

And yeah, after re-watching the first video with only 20 on-track cars I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this entirely. I completely missed just how much the PS4 version tears. That is way worse than I can excuse unfortunately. The dips actually aren't that bad, I think I could live with those, but those tears...nope.

Godfuckingdammit.

dedhead54

Welp. I was planning on picking up the XB1 version day 1 but I'm not so sure now I want to get either version on launch day. I want to hear a lot of impressions before I make a move. I definitely will be getting the PS4 version if I do get it next week.

strata8

Drops from 60fps to ~30/~40fps with tearing is pretty fucking terrible. Especially for a sim racer.

On the XB1 it practically never hits 60. Can't see how they can claim it runs at 60 fps when during career mode it's at 50-55 fps and drops down to 40-45 fps when weather hits. Pretty bad.

Say what you will about Forza but when they say it's going to run at 60 or 30 it actually does, and never drops a frame while doing so.

I'm sure it's a good game and all, but jeez. Gonna wait to see how Forza 6 pans out.

ethomaz

Banned
Better framerate or better AA? Tought decision lol bad ports on consoles.

To be fair I just play Gran Turismo... neither DriveClub make me buy a racing game... so it won't be pCARs to do that... I will wait GT.

Majanew

Banned
Welp. I was planning on picking up the XB1 version day 1 but I'm not so sure now I want to get either version on launch day. I want to hear a lot of impressions before I make a move. I definitely will be getting the PS4 version if I do get it next week.

Wait to buy it used for $20. SMS should have enough patches out by then, too.

On the XB1 it practically never hits 60. Can't see how they can claim it runs at 60 fps when during career mode it's at 50-55 fps and drops down to 40-45 fps when weather hits. Pretty bad.

Say what you will about Forza but when they say it's going to run at 60 or 30 it actually does, and bascially never drops a frame while doing so,

I'm sure it's a good game and all, but jeez. Gonna wait to see how Forza 6 pans out.

True that. And as much as I didn't really click with F5, it's performance was rock fucking solid. I gotta respect Turn 10 for that.

cakely

Weird that there's not one mention of "900p" in that article. I guess DF didn't think that was worthy of anyone's attention.

orava

This means nothing to me to be honest. It's the same with AC:U, people say it does so much more than a lot of other open world games, but it runs like dog shit. So the fact that this game does much more under the hood than DC for example doesn't impress me in the slightest because the game's performance isn't solid. They could still have a complex simulation engine and solid performance by simply turning down/off some effects/better optimizing their game.

And yeah, after re-watching the first video with only 20 on-track cars I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this entirely. I completely missed just how much the PS4 version tears. That is way worse than I can excuse unfortunately. The dips actually aren't that bad, I think I could live with those, but those tears...nope.

Godfuckingdammit.

I doubt it's possible to do much better with current console hardware if they want to keep the fidelity close the the PC version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ha, so Slightly Mad's rant over the original preview was all for nothing. I'm not seeing any improvement.

That said, these situations are setup to test the game at its limits. The average race, on PS4 at least, seems to hold a pretty darn stable 60fps. It's just when you massively bump up the number of cars and add weather it can get pretty awful.

The Xbox One version, though? Just awful all around.

Still, it looks like they did a pretty good job overall on PS4. They could have eliminated races where the frame-rate can dip by removing features but they chose to allow players to push it up to the max at the expense of fluidity.

I wonder how DriveClub would hold up with an unlocked frame-rate? Something tells me we would see a fairly smooth 60fps in many situations but similar drops to Project CARS with weather and other effects. After all, that game holds 30fps 100% of the time so the general performance level has to be well above that.

GHG

You guys are funny though.

They clearly state and show that during the career mode the game hits 60fps consistently apart from a few drops during heavy weather races.

But people are chosing to take the worst case scenarios from stress tests and say "omg no buy, i'll wait for Forza/GT". Stress tests aren't usually indicative of the environment in which you will be playing, they are intended to seek out the worst case scenarios.

Forza/GT dont even do half the things this game does.

Not sure about this game - At least XB1 owners have FM6 to look forward too

Pretty much playing GT6 and Driveclub until FM6 drops it seems....

Seriously, either patch in a 30fps cap, drops effects to stabilize the framerate/tearing or I'm not interested. This 1080p or nothing! mandate needs to stop. If you're game can't handle it, drop the freaking resolution ala Battlefield4 or something.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

They clearly state and show that during the career mode the game hits 60fps consistently apart from a few drops during heavy weather races.

But people are chosing to take the worst case scenarios from stress tests and say "omg no buy, i'll wait for Forza/GT".

I totally agree. It doesn't really look that bad.

dark10x

But people are chosing to take the worst case scenarios from stress tests and say "omg no buy, i'll wait for Forza/GT". Stress tests aren't usually indicative of the environment in which you will be playing, they are intended to seek out the worst case scenarios.

Forza 5 doesn't do half the things this game does...but we know nothing of Gran Turismo 7, do we? GT6 already features much more dynamic lighting than Forza 5, after all.

That said, I think people are missing the fact that these are worst case scenario dips.

Skii

Godfuckingdammit.

Exactly. Absolutely hate it when people use the "it's doing so much" excuse. Every other developer could do that for their own games and make it run like shit in the process. It is nothing special. It isn't commendable. What is commendable is having all these techniques and so on as well as performing well. That should be praised.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm out. Will take a look again after I'm done with the Witcher to see if patches have alleviated any of these issues, though I doubt those dips into the 30s will be fixed. Shame, as I was really looking forward to this but now is a bargain bin candidate. Hopefully F1 2015 holds up.

Edit: Yes, these are worst case scenarios, but I like racing in the rain. The team chose not to optimize to the point that those drops don't occur. I don't know the reason why, but I do know that I now choose not to buy the game.

I doubt it's possible to do much better with current console hardware if they want to keep the fidelity close the the PC version.

Screw the PC version, console games shouldn't be caring about PC versions. Expecting console games to look as good as PC games is unrealistic and naive. And the devs shouldn't be trying to emulate the PC version either. They should treat each platform individually and make sure their game runs consistently instead of worrying about how good it looks compared to the PC version.

Ugh, and now I'm getting heated. Time to dip out of this thread me thinks.

Dilly

Banned
Yes, the numbers 31-60 are higher than 30 but when the framerate is never stable, can tank nearly 50%, and you throw in a shitload of constant screen tearing on top of it, you're in no way better than Driveclub. This game is a technical disaster and this guy is seriously short-sighted if that's a direct quote.

That is just bullshit.

dark10x

How much does AF matter when you're racing on a track at high speeds?
A lot, actually. The road becomes your primary focal point so, even at high speeds, it's the thing you see the most. Using high quality AF in a driving game is really important even if it's only applied to the track surface.

That said, with enough motion blur, it's less of an issue.

I know it won't matter to most but,

I can only imagine how much this is going to make PS4's scream due to the unlocked framerate and super stressed performance. Shit's gonna be like Evil Within or The Last of Us all over again.

HATE HATE HATE loud fan noise.

Sorry, had to whine :)

ShamePain

Banned
Forza 5 doesn't do half the things this game does...but we know nothing of Gran Turismo 7, do we? GT6 already features much more dynamic lighting than Forza 5, after all.

That said, I think people are missing the fact that these are worst case scenario dips.

Bringing PD into conversation is unfair IMO. Their technical skill is beyond any other racing dev. GT7 will easily blow any other racer out of the water. Hell, GT6 runs at a higher resolution than the majority of games on Xbone including PCars on a 2005 machine, can someone even wrap their heads around that?

dark10x

"It's definitely better than Driveclub.

The only heat we should get is from large congratulatory slaps on the arse."
Whoa, someone from SMS actually said that?

I assume they don't understand anything about hitting a locked frame-rate. DriveClub is certainly capable of running higher than 30fps but that cap was selected in order to prevent fluctuation. It may not be optimal but it NEVER dips or changes ever.

I bet performance would be very similar to Project CARS if it were unlocked.

Bringing PD into conversation is unfair IMO. Their technical skill is beyond any other racing dev. GT7 will easily blow any other racer out of the water. Hell, GT6 runs at a higher resolution than the majority of games on Xbone including PCars on a 2005 machine, can someone even wrap their heads around that?
Well, GT6 doesn't run that well at such a resolution. Much better at 720p (at least you can choose!)

Still, I always felt that Polyphony was uncomfortable on PS3 and their engine just wasn't well suited to that platform. It offers a lot of features that are better suited to PS4 and should work much better there. Very excited to see it myself!

Three

So those red lines, do they really represent tearing? If they do, the X1 version is likely to shred your eyes.

Jesus Christ.

That's not to say the PS4 version is tearing free either...if those red lines do really represent tearing.

Yes that's tearing. It tears when it can't maintain 60fps. The PS4 version maintains 60fps much better than the XB1 so the PS4 version has less tearing but is not free from it when framerate drops.

Also, there was a day one patch even when everyone was saying there wasn't, anybody who laid into DF for the other article should feel a little gullible.

Exactly. Absolutely hate it when people use the "it's doing so much" excuse. Every other developer could do that for their own games and make it run like shit in the process. It is nothing special. It isn't commendable. What is commendable is having all these techniques and so on as well as performing well. That should be praised.

This I've been astonished both by SMS hanging out DF to dry when their testing must have told them that the launch version wasn't that different performance wise and by them being praised for including an options menu. Console games are fixed targets I give devs my money to make it as shiny as possible for the box that I and every other console owner share. I appreciate them in PC games because I can prioritise what matters to me (AF/tearing) and optimise to that, the PC scene is too broad for them to optimise for everyone.

For SMS to have both missed the perf target they set for themselves and to have included an options menu that seems almost vestigial (a 1-2 FPS gain at all off?) smacks of inexperience and overpromising. Either optimise for the fixed hardware target or provide a deep options menu so I can tank significant rendering settings to get back to your perf target (60FPS in this case). Like GLQuake pros back in the day there will be many sim players who would be happy to trade draw distance, track furniture, and god knows what else for 60 FPS.

To be clear I'm not trying to construct a 'lazy devs' straw man here but if you're going to hang yourself with talk of 60FPS then you either need to bring it or provide players with the choice to make the significant compromises necessary to get there. From reading these threads there would seem to be an audience for a console racing sim style game like this who would trade big downgrades for smooth full grid 60FPS Le Mans

Kinthalis

Banned
A lot, actually. The road becomes your primary focal point so, even at high speeds, it's the thing you see the most. Using high quality AF in a driving game is really important even if it's only applied to the track surface.

That said, with enough motion blur, it's less of an issue.

Yep, even at high speed, lack of AF on the track looks horrendous, and can make accurate gaging of the track a problem on top of that.

And it's not just the track, obviously the cars will suffer too. AF on the scenery isn't that much of a big deal, except maybe when you're close to an outer wall, say in an oval, but even then: meh at least at high speeds.

Dilly

Banned
Anyone really expected that those visual settings would have an impact on FPS? It was pretty obvious from the start that they are only there because some people prefer different cosmetic approaches to others.

LilJoka

I wonder what you can drop in the setting on consoles to maybe get a better performance? Wasn't it touted recently that there's a lot more to play with than the average console game?

Yeah more options than no options i guess. Lets see how low you can go though.

GHG

This I've been astonished both by SMS hanging out DF to dry when their testing must have told them that the launch version wasn't that different performance wise and by them being praised for including an options menu. Console games are fixed targets I give devs my money to make it as shiny as possible for the box that I and every other console owner share. I appreciate them in PC games because I can prioritise what matters to me (AF/tearing) and optimise to that, the PC scene is too broad for them to optimise for everyone.

For SMS to have both missed the perf target they set for themselves and to have included an options menu that seems almost vestigial (a 1-2 FPS gain at all off?) smacks of inexperience and overpromising. Either optimise for the fixed hardware target or provide a deep options menu so I can tank significant rendering settings to get back to your perf target (60FPS in this case). Like GLQuake pros back in the day there will be many sim players who would be happy to trade draw distance, track furniture, and god knows what else for 60 FPS.

To be clear I'm not trying to construct a 'lazy devs' straw man here but if you're going to hang yourself with talk of 60FPS then you either need to bring it or provide players with the choice to make the significant compromises necessary to get there. From reading these threads there would seem to be an audience for a console racing sim style game like this who would trade big downgrades for smooth full grid 60FPS Le Mans

You wont get 60fps with a full grid (max car count) in that scenario regardless of settings since its a CPU limited scenario in clear weather.

And the options are not there for framerate purposes, its so that people can adjust the look of the game to their personal preferences.

panda-zebra

The average race, on PS4 at least, seems to hold a pretty darn stable 60fps. It's just when you massively bump up the number of cars and add weather it can get pretty awful.

The Xbox One version, though? Just awful all around.

By a nose then, nice.

Lego Boss

Who was it who said that gamers are the most demanding consumer audience in the western world?

Think it waa Edge actually. I suppose they would know . . .

ShamePain

Banned
Well, GT6 doesn't run that well at such a resolution. Much better at 720p (at least you can choose!)

Still, I always felt that Polyphony was uncomfortable on PS3 and their engine just wasn't well suited to that platform. It offers a lot of features that are better suited to PS4 and should work much better there. Very excited to see it myself!

Still, the ambition is remarkable for a 2005 machine with 256mb of RAM to even be able to process a game at that resolution, and not just a simple game like chess or something, but a racer with probably the most impressive tech of lastgen under the hood. If PD pushes PS4 to the same degree they did with PS1/2/3 then I see it making Driveclub look like a lastgen game, let alone forza/pcars.

But people are chosing to take the worst case scenarios from stress tests and say "omg no buy".
Stress tests aren't usually indicative of the environment in which you will be playing, they are intended to seek out the worst case scenarios.

This goes for most DF analysis. People act like the only games worth playing are those that pass microscopic performance analysis with flying colors.

If there's a serious problem, game-breaking problem, then yea I want to know the extent of the issues.

You know, I'm glad DF wasn't around during my youthful gaming years, or I might not have played some fantastic classic games that had visual issues.
After all, FUN > Graphics.

GHG

This goes for most DF analysis. People act like the only games worth playing are those that pass microscopic performance analysis with flying colors.

If there's a serious problem, game-breaking problem, then yea I want to know the extent of the issues.

You know, I'm glad DF wasn't around during my youthful gaming years, or I might not have played some fantastic classic games that had visual issues.
After all, FUN > Graphics.

If DF was around during my PS1/PS2 days I would have never played anything.

I didn't care about reviews, what the internet said or performance. I just played whatever I thought was fun.

Now we all just sit on GAF nitpicking the shit out of everything.

dark10x

You wont get 60fps with a full grid (max car count) in that scenario regardless of settings since its a CPU limited scenario in clear weather.

And the options are not there for framerate purposes, its so that people can adjust the look of the game to their personal preferences.
I do think SMS should be called out for slamming the original DF preview piece, though.

Things that were said by Slightly Mad in response to that first article.

- The level of Anisotropic filtering was increased from 4x to 8x on both consoles, significantly improving the general image quality and sharpness of the road.
This is not true in the final game. Why make a point of addressing this when that isn't the case?

- Both consoles are set to use motion-blur at the equivalent of the PC medium setting – the differences seen on PS4 were due to bugs which were transient with on-going optimisation and not because PS4 uses object based motion-blur.
They claim both use the same settings and that the artefacts observed were bugs. Well, as we can see, this is NOT the case at all. The same motion blur from the preview build is in effect in 1.01.

The company seemed OUTRAGED that someone would dare examine a preview build. Their reaction was SO strong that it lead many to believe that all of those problems would be sorted for the final game. The fact that so little has changed is genuinely surprising and paints them in a bad light. I don't understand why they would make that statement only to have it turn out incorrect.

Well, during the 8 and 16-bit days, nearly every game ran at 60fps...

OneUh8

What do expect. Used to people exaggerating every little thing in games. As usual, I just ignore it and actually play the game and judge for myself.

Fair enough I clearly misunderstood the purpose of the options menu (I find myself wanting a CA off switch often enough to be sympathetic to that argument). I'm torn with the full grid issue I mean that is one of the features of the game that I've seen heavily touted around and for it to be such a hobbesian choice strikes me as odd. So I can have all of the prettiness with a field of 20 or a compromised version of the game with a full grid (compared to the game itself with fewer racers). I can't help but feel they would have been better off either capping the fps for races with >20 racers for input consistency or just not having that many racers be an option (likely an impossibility here given how central to the messaging that's been).

As far as I know the Wii U version is 720/30 (without tearing, because vsync is always on in Nintendi systems). Hopefully the developers reach this goal.

Top Bottom