• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Awful marketing and media sabotage.

The Kickstarter didn`t really give newcomers anything. A original copy of Shenmue has become both rare and expensive on both Dreamcast and the original Xbox, so it`s hard for people to try it out. If Sega had released the HD versions of Shenmue earlier, this wouldn`t be much of a problem.

Theonik

All this seems like stuff that the marketing consultants for his Kickstarter should have advised him not to say, or to better expand upon.
The problem is that adjective "true", which ends up implying that everything but 10 million will result in a product that is "false" or watered down.
It seems like people are stretching to blame Awesome Japan instead of Suzuki. "Oh he said something damaging to the campaign? Well AJ should have told him not to say that!"
The real question is if Yu Suzuki even actually said that. Don't forget Awesome Japan is translating everything Yu Suzuki is saying in this campaign. They've already fucked this up several times in the campaign page bringing serious harm in the campaign. Chances are he said 'At 10 million I can really flesh out the open world' and they mistranslated it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The real question is if Yu Suzuki even actually said that. Don't forget Awesome Japan is translating everything Yu Suzuki is saying in this campaign. They've already fucked this up several times in the campaign page bringing serious harm in the campaign. Chances are he said 'At 10 million I can really flesh out the open world' and they mistranslated it.

Open world, I don`t get it. Shenme 1 and Shenmue 2 was never open world games. More like limited open areas. And what happens if it doesn`t reach 10 million? What does a more story driven game even mean? More like Max Pain and Tomb Raider?

Theonik

Open world, I don`t get it. Shenme 1 and Shenmue 2 was never open world games. More like limited open areas. And what happens if it doesn`t reach 10 million? What does a more story driven game even mean? More like Max Pain and Tomb Raider?
Right. Shenmue has its own definition of what an open world is.

Theonik

A Shenmue without these limited open areas and the "life simulator" gameplay would suck.
They will probably still be in the game, the goals make it sound like these are to add more variety to the interaction and to flesh it out. Which is what leads me to believe that the original comment was mistranslated, while only Awesome Japan would have known.

Erevador

A Shenmue without these limited open areas and the "life simulator" gameplay would suck.
Here's my interpretation of the stretch goals: the other villages would be great and expansive, but could be eliminated without fundamentally hurting the game. I think it is likely that if less money is raised those areas will simply be de-emphasized and made much smaller. Vital NPCs may be moved to Baisha instead, and the game's focus may become more specific. To use a familiar Shenmue example, if Baisha becomes like Dobuita, those areas may become like Sakuragoaka. Satisfying but compact.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I haven't contributed to this yet but I did contribute to Bloodstained. The physical console copy was the entire reason there.

If they put an exclusive PS4 physical copy as a reward and they will probably get my money.

I'm kind of hoping they don't, because I'm broke now ! But that's how attached I am to getting a physical copy

I haven't contributed to this yet but I did contribute to Bloodstained. The physical console copy was the entire reason there.

If they put an exclusive PS4 physical copy as a reward and they will probably get my money.

I'm kind of hoping they don't, because I'm broke now ! But that's how attached I am to getting a physical copy

Why not give them money anyway? I don't really get it. Is getting a physical PS4 version more important than getting a better game? Even if it's only 5 dollars, every little bit helps.

N.A

Banned
New update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1278225?ref=backer_project_update

(art and video at link)

Hello Everyone!

Shenmue has a diverse and huge cast of characters. Hundreds of unique personalities, each with their own story, each going about their own lives in the world of Shenmue. Giving these people shape and breathing life into them was artist and designer Kenji Miyawaki. His work with the character concepts and character design helped populate Shenmue with many of the colorful and unforgettable characters that made the story so inviting.

In today’s interview, Miyawaki-san gets into how he had come to work for Sega, what it was like being involved in the production of Shenmue, and elaborates on how a certain character came about. Please welcome, Kenji Miyawaki!

Thank you very much Miyawaki-san! Your art has ignited the imaginations of all us Shenmue fans. We all look forward to what you have in store for us next! His artwork will most certainly be included in the printed artbook reward, as well as with the grab bag rewards.

Kenji Miyawaki's artwork from Shenmue:

GavinGT

Banned

This was translated by someone at Shenmue Dojo (from the Twitch Q&A). The open world part is basically the same as how Awesome Japan translated it:

Q: Shenmue III at the Current Funding Level (around $3.6m at time of Twitch) vs $10 million
YS: At the current level of funding, as I mentioned earlier the game will be focused on the story. However once we reach $5 million we will be able to introduce aspects such as the Three Kingdoms “war strategies” mentioned earlier which will set it apart from the first two Shenmue games. This is actually the part I would most like to accomplish. If we can go above $10 million, the town of Choubu will be significantly enhanced. The town of Choubu has scenery that is somewhat like, for example, the Dobuita and Yokosuka areas of Shenmue I, and this will open up various options for amusement there. So, above $10 million, we will be able to include both game features that I would like to take on the challenge of including, as well as making the game “open-world like” with an even wider range of choices available.

But it's still unclear to me. Just tell us what a story-focused Shenmue means in terms of gameplay.

PaRappa

We have TWO AND A HALF YEARS to battle to secure a physical release but only DAYS to ensure the game is adequately funded at all.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We may have 2.5 years to fund the game of Yu Suzuki lets us via PayPal or whatever. I would set myself up for a monthly donation of there was a way to do so.

Erevador

We have TWO AND A HALF YEARS to battle to secure a physical release but only DAYS to ensure the game is adequately funded at all.
Rappa vs. Rappa. Amazing.

I am a diehard Shenmue fan who has very happily pledged, but I think physical media purists are well within their rights to not pledge. If they don't feel comfortable with digital media, that's their choice!

If they can get it sorted before the campaign is over they could definitely see an increase in pledge money. I've only gone for the digital PS4 copy but if there was a physical copy I'd happily double my pledge to match it. I did for Bloodstained, I doubt that I'm the only one.

Slaythe

French biggest videogame website shat on the game's kickstarter, still saying fans don't matter and Sony can handle it.

Made me mad.

Backflip

I would have pledged even if that didn't get me the game at all. That's how attached I am to getting Shenmue III made.

Mugen08

xiuying2.png

Obviously the best KS update so far.

border

Suzuki talks like a dev. It is their job to sell his vision to the masses in a way they understand. It is also their job to communicate a JAPANESE developer's thoughts in a way that an English-speaking audience can understand.

Also, Awesome Japan are just hilariously, visibly inept bozos.

Awesome Japan can only do so much with the content that has been produced. If Suzuki hasn't made much more than short, janky-looking footage of Ryo and Shenhua walking through the forest and skipping over a stream, they can't really will into existence footage that explains the purpose of all the stretch goals.

It's entirely possible that AJ told Suzuki, "Hey, you need to generate more appreciable game footage before you launch this Kickstarter" and Suzuki ignored this critique in order to meet the E3 deadline. At the same time it's entirely possible Awesome Japan were the ones rushing him to put this out before the start of E3.

At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. This campaign was destined to be very front-loaded due to the circumstances of its reveal and the fact that it's the third game in a series of titles that had very passionate but limited followers. I can't imagine that a more organized effort would have really made a big difference.

The petition says "When i tried to get my friend to pledge his reply was: 'Why would I want to support a campaign that looks like a high school-project?'". To be fair, anyone looking up Shenmue videos on YouTube would think that the original games look like a high school project. In terms of presentation and story and voice acting, Shenmue looks like amateur hour by comparison.

Blunoise

Don't know if this was posted, but a petition to fire Awesome Japan is building steam and the comments are looking ugly with lots of people saying they are removing their pledge because of the mismanagement.

Was this made by a neogaf poster? Serious though I don't give a fuck about PR I want to play this game after waiting for 14 years. Why in the hell would I even wine about how the kickstarted PR is doing. This stuff here makes it hard to be a gamer, when almost everyone is a cry baby and entitled.

Yea the PR could be better but hell I am finally getting SHENMUE 3 for sake!

benzy

Don't know if this was posted, but a petition to fire Awesome Japan is building steam and the comments are looking ugly with lots of people saying they are removing their pledge because of the mismanagement.

This is stupid. Those people aren't thinking this through, as removing AJ right now is going to do more harm than good. Suzuki will then have to research, set up meetings, make new contracts, etc. to find another kickstarter promoter all the while trying to get us physical ps4 copies and other requests before the kickstarter ends. We basically won't have anyone running this kickstarter campaign if this happens for the remaining 18 days. The campaign doesn't have the greatness of Bloodstained but it's not incompetent either, we've gotten quite a bit of requests and questions answered and they've definitely taken a lot of our feedback in.

Nibel

20 supporters is not 'building steam'. And removing pledges doesn't help anything, what a bunch of morons. It's not like you are pledging money to them but Ys Net.
e5YuU.gif

hamchan

I think we just have to accept Awesome Japan's presence as a sunk cost. Yes, they've done a bad job, an absolutely terrible job. Yes, they've probably prevented the Kickstarter from reaching its full potential. Yes, that red shirt guy was probably high or super drunk during that live stream.

But now it'll probably be much worse to kick them off the project, since that leaves Yu Suzuki having to find someone new to organize this whole thing halfway through. Sure, some of this blame definitely lies with Yu Suzuki for even hiring these scrubs in the first place and now everyone just has to deal with it.

At least we can potentially get more funny gifs if they do another live stream.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Honestly, if the next stream opens with the red shirt guy sitting alone in a chair wearing white gloves, I'll know that this was actually just another one of Yu Suzuki's brilliant schemes.

All this seems like stuff that the marketing consultants for his Kickstarter should have advised him not to say, or to better expand upon.

The campaign is garbage, if it was managed by 8-4 or the people behind the Bloodstain KS camapign, I'm 100% confident the results will be much better.

master15

Theonik

Damn, the game only had 10K yesterday ? :/
Not quite, the last few days were a consequence of the new tiers. Relying on few people putting more money is less stable when they don't have to front that money. We got $60k of pledges there on Friday so at the levels of funding we are seeing it just looks bad. It was at -1k in the morning.

openrob

Don't know if this was posted, but a petition to fire Awesome Japan[/URL] is building steam and the comments are looking ugly with lots of people saying they are removing their pledge because of the mismanagement.

"Lots of steam"

6 comments - 80 signitures.
Yeah, let that die haha.

I really want to see Choubu fleshed out in the game. It will make a change from the ruralness of Guilin, etc

I can imagine this reaching 7 million, but struggling. I wish I could chime in since I did enjoy Shenmue 2. I do want Suzuki and the fans to realize their dreams, but unfortunately I have no money at the moment.

ArjanN

Heartbreaking. So much momentum, stalled out by the most incompetent team ever to head up a major Kickstarter.

I doubt it'd be much higher even it was the best run kickstarter campaign ever. (which Bloodstained probably was, and even that has a similar curve) The E3 showing probably just meant it was slightly more frontloaded.

Embarrassing and counter-productive.

Trying to get Awesome Japan fired is such a waste of time and energy. I mean FFS people, think things through. Getting them fired this late into the kick-starter would do more harm than good. Focus on practical ways to bring in more money and stop wasting time. >_>

varsas

Neo Member
- A PS4 physical reward tier could add 500K to the total

Are you assuming that the tier is double the digital release? It'll boost the funding but I expect the proportion that will be going to development will not be double since the cost of production will take a decent chunk.

Trojan X

Banned

THIS IS SO STUPID!!!!! REALLY. Why on earth would anyone threaten to remove their pledge at this point and seek to fire Awesome Japan at this stage?! This is counter productive in every way. If they want to be more productive, people need to think of appropriate solutions to improve the kickstarter case and communicate it to YsNet (Yu Suzuki) so he can push Awesome Japan to do their jobs properly. Also, they should be spreading the word about the Kickstarter and communicating why Shenmue is good and why Shenmue III is a good thing for the industry! These people are whining without thinking things through. Also. Heck. This is completely illogical; the KS already started and there is just over 20 days left! There is no way people should expect another body to come in and perform wonders in such a short amount of time and also expect Yu Suzuki to spend more money on the company to do it. Nothing comes for free. This really is negative PR and adds further darkness to the dark flame that medias and other ill-logical people has already created.

This is from a Neogaf poster? That person should have consulted here first to see if it would be a good idea so we can put out the flame that they are trying to create.

There is no way in heck that myself nor anyone else should support such a stupid petition. Can't believe I'm entertaining it. Glad that only less than 50 people seen it so far but this is the internet so don't be surprise if the viewing numbers will explode further and some idiot online pick it up and shout more illness about Shenmue in their twisted form. After all, it has happened already.

Trojan X

Banned
storafötter;170257118 said:
I can imagine this reaching 7 million, but struggling. I wish I could chime in since I did enjoy Shenmue 2. I do want Suzuki and the fans to realize their dreams, but unfortunately I have no money at the moment.

Perfectly fine. Just do your best to communicate and spread the word about the kickstarter via Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, your connections and any other method. The more positive and strong your communications the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom