• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sgsrOaV.jpg

It's probably nostalgia talking but I still find the graphics to be incredibly compelling in this day and age (even in SD on a crt).

It feels like a masterful balance of color, texture resolution compromise, and polygonal count.

It's wholy believable and authentic, striving for realisim without being uncanny, and transcending its era.

I think so anyways.

Spaghetti

sgsrOaV.jpg

It's probably nostalgia talking but I still find the graphics to be incredibly compelling in this day and age (even in SD on a crt).

It feels like a masterful balance of color, texture resolution compromise, and polygonal count.

It's wholy believable and authentic, striving for realisim without being uncanny, and transcending its era.

I think so anyways.
the dreamcast really had a specific colour palette for the textures. i really would attribute that to shenmue's really unique look.

i totally love that area though. i'm going to go record some footage later in that part of wan chai for my "what's shenmue?" video.

Spaghetti

How about a better, more fully realized Shenmue 3? Is that not worth the extra money if you have it to spare?
this

i think by the end of the campaign some people should really think about upping their pledge regardless of any rewards. if you want the game, and you want it to be the best it can possibly be, put in as much money as you can realistically allocate to this.

when i upped my pledge to $1000, i didn't take the $1000 grab bag tier. i knew someone else would up their pledge to take it, and boost the funding amount.

ajim

sgsrOaV.jpg

I think so anyways.
Gorgeous screenshot.

Imagine that level of detail on modern consoles... Amazing.

N.A

Banned
How about a better, more fully realized Shenmue 3? Is that not worth the extra money if you have it to spare?

I don't have it to spare, hence the reason I need a decent incentive to back more than the $180 I've already pledged. It was already a struggle to commit that much money. I'm willing to essentially have no money next month, but not for 3 capsule toys.

"At the $10 million level, the area Choubu will get a big expansion, and be like Dobuita in Yokosuka where you will have a lot of options to explore and have fun. I hope we can shoot for that goal and make Shenmue 3 more open world like."

That sounds good. Shame the ten million mark won't be reached for it to happen, but maybe with some post-Kickstarter additional funds it can be made a reality.

Spaghetti

That sounds good. Shame the ten million mark won't be reached for it to happen, but maybe with some post-Kickstarter additional funds it can be made a reality.
we'll see how it goes. if the kickstarter finishes close to that ys.net could negotiate a little more from the additional funding sources to hit that level.

Shadders

You know what would be a good reward they could add which could be near unlimited and they could charge quite a bit for - Invites to the launch party.

Assuming it's not somewhere prohibitive, then you could probably get away with charging $500 for an invite. Maybe even hold parties in Tokyo, New York and London to really spread the love. If you charge $500, it doesn't cost anywhere close to that per-head to actually put on a party so it can mostly go towards the dev budget.

Yeah it is a pity, but I know that the comments about PayPal (or any other post-Kickstarter funding method) have been heard by the necessary parties. I don't see why they wouldn't be implemented at this point.

However, they HAVE to show the progress towards the various stretch goals, or else the motivation to continuously contribute will be gone for many people.

we'll see how it goes. if the kickstarter finishes close to that ys.net could negotiate a little more from the additional funding sources to hit that level.

I hope that in some non-contract-breaking way they would be able to say that the game will be completed as Suzuki originally envisioned it to at least let the fans know (without, of course, going into the funding, since we all know how that goes).

mattp

Wow, I was just listening to the 8-4 play podcast and they said that they've known about Shenmue 3 for at 2 years and we're involved early on but had to bail out early because they were already too busy with other projects. So basically we're stuck with awesome Japan because 8-4 couldn't run the campaign

wait, wasn't the minimum pledge 29 dollars? i can now see a 5-dollar pledge or has it been there all along?

if not, that was their biggest mistake. who the hell thought a 29-dollar minimum pledge was a good idea?

now people who went to the ks page when it first got announced saw a 29-dollar minimumand said, "too expensive."

wait, wasn't the minimum pledge 29 dollars? i can now see a 5-dollar pledge or has it been there all along?

if not, that was their biggest mistake. who the hell thought a 29-dollar minimum pledge was a good idea?

now people who went to the ks page when it first got announced saw a 29-dollar minimumand said, "too expensive."

5 dollars has been there right from the start...

baconcow

From my memory, the $5 pledge has always been there. To my understanding, pledge descriptions cannot be edited. Since it is referenced in the $29, $60, and $100 pledges, it must have been there since those were created.

ArjanN

?

The 5 dollar pledge doesn't get you the game though.

Spaghetti

it's always been there. i've seen plenty of kickstarters with a "thanks" pledge tier.

ultimately though it's only just over a thousand people. what's more important is lifting a chunk of the 27 thousand people in the $29 tier into $60 and beyond.

That's strange. I finally received a response about the PS4 physical version but the response seems to differ from Yu Suzuki's comments made in the Twitch chat on Friday. Here's the response for those interested:

Ys Net says:

Hello Ghost_Messiah:

Thank you very much for your message.

We understand there have been many requests; however there are currently no plans to produce a physical reward for the PS4. If a physical copy was added as a reward, an announcement would be made on the update page.

As to why there are no current plans for a PS4 version, we are very sorry, but are unable to answer at this time. We know this may not be the answer you had hoped for, but please understand that indeed, your comments have been heard and passed on to Ys Net and Yu Suzuki.

Your feedback is what will make the this Kickstarter really succeed, and we cannot thank you enough. The day is come that we are finally able to enjoy what we have waited so long for with the return of Shenmue and we hope we can count on your continued support to bring back, and make Shenmue 3 the best game it can be.

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

Where as in the Twitch chat Yu Suzuki said him and his team are working on it and one is very probable and in the pipeline to be added as a reward. Thoughts everyone?

Theonik

Standard response. Also it's true. They are trying to make it happen but there are no plans for it right now since they have yet to manage to.

Spaghetti

That's strange. I finally received a response about the PS4 physical version but the response seems to differ from Yu Suzuki's comments made in the Twitch chat on Friday. Here's the response for those interested:

Where as in the Twitch chat Yu Suzuki said him and his team are working on it and one is very probable and in the pipeline to be added as a reward. Thoughts everyone?
they probably have a template of default answers for messages, because i'm sure someone posted something similar to this a little while back.

most likely it hasn't been updated to reflect current information, or there isn't enough progress to say one way or the other yet. it's definitely a priority though, and they know it

they probably have a template of default answers for messages, because i'm sure someone posted something similar to this a little while back.

most likely it hasn't been updated to reflect current information, or there isn't enough progress to say one way or the other yet. it's definitely a priority though, and they know it

Yeah it's the same exact response people have been getting for a week now.

Moofers

Bingo. As somebody who used to answer emails and chats for a global brand, I can assure you this is the case. They have an excel doc they are copy/pasting from, I'm sure.

Don't sweat it, peeps. Yu knows we want a PS4 disc and is working on it. I think Awesome Japan also knows they've got to do better and I think two weekend updates isn't a bad start. Let's all be cool and remember where we were a month ago!

jett

D-Member
you'd think some people would realise that the kickstarter doesn't end for another 18 days. even if it's a crawl until the last big final surge, we'll still cross $5 million. it's $6 million we have to really work for.

At this rate reaching 5mill is looking a bit doubtful, even with the usual spike at the end.

edit: it only made 10k yesterday holy shizz

Currently they have not been able to confirm that physical PS4 rewards are possible so as of now there are no plans for that reward. I'm really hoping they get this sorted out with Sony in the next couple days.

Sand4fish at the ShenmueDojo received a reply from Joel (yes, from the Twitch stream) regarding some of his concerns:

Very sorry for not getting back sooner! Ok, here we go:

Stretch Goals - Thank you! We are working on it! Trying to be more specific with the SGs and will try to get the explanations moved over. Mr. Suzuki does not want to get too deep without giving all the story away!

Mirrors as a reward - Trying!

Video - Still very early development, so there is not much game footage yet. As for scene requests... I think we will have to leave that up to Mr. Suzuki. Again can't give away the story!

At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.

Why multiple characters? Mr. Suzuki has stated this is one of the things that he really wants to do with Shenmue 3. Will definitely let him know though!

Why should new people care about Shenmue 3? Got it. You are very right. Top priority now getting the message across. We will have the page updated soon.

More rewards? Yes working on them now. Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you very much, please keep your ideas coming, because they will keep us going forward.

Trojan X

Banned
These screenshots look so cool. Honestly, if S3 looks exactly like this (basically the old games) with dual analog and 16:9 HD I would be satisfied.

Ah. I remember seeing that in the original Shenmue Dreamcast online streaming presentation back in 1998/9.

Spaghetti

At this rate reaching 5mill is looking a bit doubtful, even with the usual spike at the end.

edit: it only made 10k yesterday holy shizz
the campaign has good days and bad days. there was a hangover from the twitch stream panic, and that reflected in pledges. another problem is that we've gone about 500k without hitting a stretch goal. that's demoralising and not providing enough incentive. the next million won't be suffering from this. the one after might, but that should be when it becomes 'put up or shut up' time as we rush to the goal and hopefully the 6 million advancement of the FREE battle system.

the good news is this: new backers are still coming in. there's still 18 days left, and that's frankly a lot of time to make progress. i feel this week we're going to be seeing new and exciting information, we had have the #30onthe3rd campaign this friday. that should provide a great morale boost.

Spaghetti

Same for me. I mean... I was at 100 dollars first. To me, upping to 310 dollars already was my "30 on the 3rd" campaign :/

How much traction does the 30 on the third campaign have? I'm at 310 right now. Don't know if I can afford much more :(
it seems to be associated with the shenmue twitterthon campaign which has been pretty strong in the past.

i mean, good on you for upping your pledges like that. it'd be nice to see if people can go even further though. $30 is a lot to people, so if you can't afford it, don't worry about it.

that said, you can trade in a few unwanted games for $30 or thereabouts. hell, if you're looking to get a refund on arkham knight you can use that and have some money left over. you don't really have to make it $30 either if you want to contribute to the boost. just put as much as you can, even if it's as little as $5 more.

Why don't they just drip some new art at least? Not like Bloodstained even showed a video demo of the game, either. Just concept images. New concept art would be nice to see. Whether that's of Ryo and any new outfits he can wear, or landscapes.

If they have samples of the new music, that would be nice to tease with a 30 second sample.

Maligna

Banned
I don't have it to spare, hence the reason I need a decent incentive to back more than the $180 I've already pledged. It was already a struggle to commit that much money. I'm willing to essentially have no money next month, but not for 3 capsule toys.

I don't really understand this logic... You say you don't have the money, but you are willing to up your pledge for better knickknacks. So you do(?) have the money then?

If you are willing to give an amount for trinkets then why not just instead give that amount for a better finished product? Isn't that what the end goal really is here, the best possible version of Shenmue 3?

As it stands, they already have to use 30% of the Kickstarter funds to fulfill the physical rewards and 10% to Kickstarter fees. 60% for game development is a pretty discouraging statistic in my opinion. I wish more were going to the game itself. Why does everyone need these physical rewards? I understand the appeal to the general public who doesn't have that much of a history with the series, but us fans should focus on the game.

...Sorry for the rant all.

Spaghetti

I don't really understand this logic... You say you don't have the money, but you are willing to up your pledge for better knickknacks. So you do(?) have the money then?

If you are willing to give an amount for trinkets then why not just instead give that amount for a better finished product? Isn't that what the end goal really is here, the best possible version of Shenmue 3?

As it stands, they already have to use 30% of the Kickstarter funds to fulfill the physical rewards and 10% to Kickstarter fees. 60% for game development is a pretty discouraging statistic in my opinion. I wish more were going to the game itself. Why does everyone need these physical rewards? I understand the appeal to the general public who doesn't have that much of a history with the series, but us fans should focus on the game.

...Sorry for the rant all.
it's about incentive.

i mean i understand the position the other poster is taking... but you are right though. it's now or never time, y'know? there's only going to be one shenmue 3. might as well make a mark and make it count by pledging as much as possible even even if the physical rewards don't stack up.

the true reward will be a better game.

So I've seen the joke many times before Shenmue III was actually announced about Telltale doing it and how awful that would be.

While I'm certainly glad that never came to fruition (as much as I like their output), I would be up for seeing a 1-season only "Telltale presents: Shenmue Chapter 2: The Boat."

The boat journey was at one point a fully fleshed out chapter featuring the return of Chai (as seen in the very brief comic included with Shenmue II on Xbox). I wouldn't mind seeing that be tackled by Telltale since we will likely never see it otherwise.

Spaghetti

So I've seen the joke many times before Shenmue III was actually announced about Telltale doing it and how awful that would be.

While I'm certainly glad that never came to fruition (as much as I like their output), I would be up for seeing a 1-season only "Telltale presents: Shenmue Chapter 2: The Boat."

The boat journey was at one point a fully fleshed out chapter featuring the return of Chai (as seen in the very brief comic included with Shenmue II on Xbox). I wouldn't mind seeing that be tackled by Telltale since we will likely never see it otherwise.
that's a pretty cool idea.

Kama_1082

Banned
backed out of my $500 pledge. I fell into the hype of the sony conference announcement and threw down my money as fast as I could. I'm beating a dead horse here, but during the whole process of this KS, it just didn't sit right with me. I feel that they are just giving us a Shenmue 3 to grease the squeaky wheel. Added to the fact that the "true Suzuki vision" won't be seen because it's ~6M short.

Will I play it? Absolutely. Would I have kept my $100 or even the $500 I was planning to throw in on the last day if they laid out everything in front of me. Hell yes. Being on the Sony stage gave me the confidence that we are getting a true Shenmue title that us fans were dreaming of and it's not gonna happen.

And I am prepared to be completely flamed for this

Pagusas

Elden Member
looking at the progression of this kickstarter, it wont be hitting the 10mil mark even with a huge last day push. Is everyone going to be happy getting what is currently proposed from what they've heard?

I kind of wish they would have jsut came out and ask for 10mil instead of of making these extra goals to give us a more complete game. It just feels setup for failure now.

Spaghetti

backed out of my $500 pledge. I fell into the hype of the sony conference announcement and threw down my money as fast as I could. I'm beating a dead horse here, but during the whole process of this KS, it just didn't sit right with me. I feel that they are just giving us a Shenmue 3 to grease the squeaky wheel. Added to the fact that the "true Suzuki vision" won't be seen because it's ~6M short.

Will I play it? Absolutely. Would I have kept my $100 or even the $500 I was planning to throw in on the last day if they laid out everything in front of me. Hell yes. Being on the Sony stage gave me the confidence that we are getting a true Shenmue title that us fans were dreaming of and it's not gonna happen.

that's disappointing.

there's still another 18 days left though. i wouldn't throw in the towel at all just yet. especially when we're supposed to be getting more gameplay details sometime soon.

that said, you do realise withdrawing funding because the game might not get enough kickstarter money is... well, kind of part of the problem right?

Moofers

Your prerogative. I think its been stated enough times now that even at $2M it was going to live up to the previous 2 installments so in my mind, anything over that initial 2M barrier is just gravy. He might have some extra ideas and things, but that can go on forever. 20M, 50M, 100M. I mean let's not forget this is the guy who blew through $65M+ back in the late 90s and judging from the stories on Shenmue Dojo, some of that money was pissed away on stupid ideas.

But hey man, I love Shenmue 1 and 2 warts and all. They were still groundbreaking as hell in their day and I'm happy to get a 3rd game at all. You should be too. Not asking you to kick back in your money because that's totally your call and people are being way too pushy about that stuff here, but I'm telling you to be excited for the game because it met the initial funding goal and had the campaign not raised even a dollar over 2M, we'd still be getting a Shenmue game.

looking at the progression of this kickstarter, it wont be hitting the 10mil mark even with a huge last day push. Is everyone going to be happy getting what is currently proposed from what they've heard?

I kind of wish they would have jsut came out and ask for 10mil instead of of making these extra goals to give us a more complete game. It just feels setup for failure now.

Please see my reply above.

MaxiLive

For me its fine. We are getting freaking Shenmue III! SHENMUE III!!! :D

That is enough on its own to have me sold especially with Yu Suzuki and his colleagues working on the game who worked on the original rather than another creative team working on it.

Yes its disappointing that some features may be skipped/cancelled but this is how development goes. I would love Sega to foot up the $15-20 million production cost and we all got a true sequel in 2017 along with remasters of the old games. But in a real world that isn't going to happen.

So a Kickstarter with $3.5+ million is already fantastic for a Shenmue's fan point of view! :D

I hope they can hit $5-7 million before the end of the Kickstarter but more so I hope they continue a blog and donation/rewards on their own website like Start Citizen, or pCARS. This way they will get 100% of the money (no loss to Kickstarter etc) and a chance for the really passionate fans to dig deep and slowly help cover the production cost. Then by summer next year close the Kickstarter fund as production will have to be in a lockdown start and backers end up a bit feisty if you don't put a lockdown on production :p

Spaghetti

setting the goal at ten million would be even more of a set up for failure, because there would be a very real chance this game just would not happen.

we're getting shenmue 3 after 14 years of being told it is dead and buried. that war has been won. now it's the fight for an improved game.

it's hard to answer if we're happy with what we've seen, because there are still 18 days of campaigning left. we've got a big block of stretch goals coming up too. the funding process is by no means over at all, and people need to stop acting like it is.

we've got the big $4 million milestone coming up. that's exciting, and we should all be excited that we're onto the next round of game improvements.

Theonik

Personally I'm keeping my $500 pledge but I'll be watching where funding is in the twilight hours and adjust my pledge accordingly. I also want to see what they are doing with PayPal. But as of now I see no reason to pull my pledge.

celsowmbr

Banned
For me its fine. We are getting freaking Shenmue III! SHENMUE III!!! :D

That is enough on its own to have me sold especially with Yu Suzuki and his colleagues working on the game who worked on the original rather than another creative team working on it.

Yes its disappointing that some features may be skipped/cancelled but this is how development goes. I would love Sega to foot up the $15-20 million production cost and we all got a true sequel in 2017 along with remasters of the old games. But in a real world that isn't going to happen.

So a Kickstarter with $3.5+ million is already fantastic for a Shenmue's fan point of view! :D

I hope they can hit $5-7 million before the end of the Kickstarter but more so I hope they continue a blog and donation/rewards on their own website like Start Citizen, or pCARS. This way they will get 100% of the money (no loss to Kickstarter etc) and a chance for the really passionate fans to dig deep and slowly help cover the production cost. Then by summer next year close the Kickstarter fund as production will have to be in a lockdown start and backers end up a bit feisty if you don't put a lockdown on production :p

tumblr_mbp10hMp991r3zat8.gif

Loudninja

Then the game will have never have happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom