• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Yu Suzuki shouldn't have torpedoed the campaign by saying he needs 10 million to make a true successor. Maybe his stretch goals shouldn't have been meaningless nonsense buzzwords like "Character Perspective System".

Or maybe there's something that's just less appealing about this game than there was about other Kickstarter titles. It's the third in a series of games that nobody really played, and it exists in almost its own genre that is difficult to define or show off in a video. Most of what made the original game unique has become pretty commonplace.

I don't know about torpedoed, but I do speculate that Yu Suzuki is quite the visionary type. The sort of my way or the highway visionary who will insist on doing things his way regardless of what's in vogue.

That's part of the appeal to this game, for me, but I suspect that's also why the Kickstarter stretch goals are made with Suzuki features in mind and not so much easy to sell things like Retro Game Mode, Old School Difficulty, Sonic the Hedgehog Cameo, VR compatibility or what the heck limited edition MineCraft Expansion Set.

Definitely an unusual case, this Kickstarter, but I'm more just plain curious how this will play out. It's easy to be negative, but it's my moneys and I'm okay with putting it towards this project however it goes.

Redtale

Neo Member
heh, PEGI 3.

actually here's an interesting discussion, what kind of PEGI/ESRB rating do we think we're looking at? shenmue has some violence but it's not overly bloody or bone-crunching (well, besides arm break fire...).

i wonder how that'll go in 3. shenmue II was significantly darker and more violent in places than the first game, but that feels like a reflection of the location more than anything. surely the calm mountains of guilin can't offer as many dangers as kowloon... right?

I'm guessing PEGI 12 / ESRB T rating.

MilkBeard

Maybe Yu Suzuki shouldn't have torpedoed the campaign by saying he needs 10 million to make a true successor. Maybe his stretch goals shouldn't have been meaningless nonsense buzzwords like "Character Perspective System". Why should anyone care if the game gets to 5 million when they don't even know what that will accomplish?

He absolutely did not say anything of the sort. In fact, he stated that even at 2 million, the game will still be a true sequel. What you just posted came from people being worried and hypothesizing about an extreme scenario and constantly reinforcing it over and over.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Maybe Yu Suzuki shouldn't have torpedoed the campaign by saying he needs 10 million to make a true successor. Maybe his stretch goals shouldn't have been meaningless nonsense buzzwords like "Character Perspective System". Why should anyone care if the game gets to 5 million when they don't even know what that will accomplish?

Or maybe there's something that's just less appealing about this game than there was about other Kickstarter titles. It's the third in a series of games that nobody really played, and it exists in almost its own genre that is difficult to define or show off in a video. Most of what made the original game unique has become pretty commonplace. I kinda doubt that a more flashy, better planned campaign could have really done that much better.

He didn`t say that. He said that they will need 10 million to make it a true open world experience. Shenmue 3 will already be a true successor after 2 million.

He said that $10 Million would allow features of a true open world.

Sinces the Shenmue games aren't true open world games, that doesn't worry me that much.

Rymuth

The fan mockups have begun lol.

CInv5Y2UEAAjWqw.jpg:large
Needs more dakka

hamchan

Or maybe there's something that's just less appealing about this game than there was about other Kickstarter titles. It's the third in a series of games that nobody really played, and it exists in almost its own genre that is difficult to define or show off in a video. Most of what made the original game unique has become pretty commonplace. I kinda doubt that a more flashy, better planned campaign could have really done that much better.

All this seems like stuff that the marketing consultants for his Kickstarter should have advised him not to say, or to better expand upon.

Trojan X

Banned

Sinces the Shenmue games aren't true open world games, that doesn't worry me that much.

Let's be fair, we don't know his true definition of what an open world is. It's a pity because that should have been the job of the guy in red in that twitch stream, and we don't have anything to measure by. However, this aspect isn't that important to be honest.

Another interview is definitely needed though... in fact, Yu Suzuki should do a presentation style press conference. Handled properly by Yu Suzuki like he brilliantly done in his post mortems,.using a much better translator, and using a smart defender person that knows exactly what they are talking about and not afraid to be bold to anyone when needed (like the person from that podcast), it will definitely change the perspective of Shenmue III for the better and give the funding a brilliant boast.

ArjanN

But for better or for worse, Shenmue has transcended its own game. It has become a meme of sorts. Even people who never played it or know nothing about it know about it.

That's what I thought, but it was weird watching a bunch of Sony E3 reaction videos where people flip out about FF7R and then when Shenmue 3 is announced right after they go "...what's a Shenmue?"

It has been a long time for henmue, while something like Megaman (depite fans complaining) has had tons of games and been all over the place.

Trojan X

Banned
That's what I thought, but it was weird watching a bunch of Sony E3 reaction videos where people flip out about FF7R and then when Shenmue 3 is announced right after they go "...what's a Shenmue?"

It has been a long time for henmue, while something like Megaman (depite fans complaining) has had tons of games and been all over the place.

I really understand people saying "what is shenmue?" though. There are tons of people that are from the PS2 era and not even the Xbox 1 let alone the Dreamcast or Sega Saturn era, and other than cameo and feature character appearances, Shenmue has hardly been mentioned or featured since. I.e. a re-education is required to so these people understand why Shenmue is a big deal that deserves their time, attention and money.

border

He didn`t say that. He said that they will need 10 million to make it a true open world experience. Shenmue 3 will already be a true successor after 2 million.

The problem is that adjective "true", which ends up implying that everything but 10 million will result in a product that is "false" or watered down.

Lynx_7

Come on people, get it to 5,1M so I can at least have portuguese subtitles :p
I really hope we can at least reach 6 million with the last day boost, but considering how frontloaded this campaign has been that may be a stretch. I know the same could be said of every other KS title, but Shenmue specifically has slowed down a lot compared to Bloodstained at the same period of time. 10M is a pipe dream at this point.

IrishNinja

The problem is that adjective "true", which ends up implying that everything but 10 million will result in a product that is "false" or watered down.

i really don't see it that way, he said we're getting the game. 5 mill there's a new feature he's wanted; open world (based on an earlier shot) looked like more mini-games & stuff, not that it turns into GTA/Shenmue Online or something.

even the biggest AAA title could have more content with more time/money, that doesn't read to me like every game is gimped.

Lynx_7

Has there been any whispers on HD remakes of 1&2 getting released on PS4?

That's up to Sega. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it'd make a lot of sense for them to release HD remasters or at least a PC port considering how much trouble you have to go through to play the original releases.

tmk10s9j.gif

I think true open world means something we might see these days. I would not be at all if we get a sequel that would have come out on the Dreamcast. That's perfectly fine with me if they had the exact same epicness of 1 & 2. There's no way we'd get a game that was made today if it wasn't fully backed by Sony or Sega.

brett2

Things have slowed down for sure but if we look at how things could develop over the next few weeks we'll be fine. The way I see it...
- A PS4 physical reward tier could add 500K to the total
- We could be able to add 1M to the total in a surge on the last two days
- A few extra higher end rewards could add another 50K
- The remaining days in between should add another 100K
- A Shenmue 1/2 HD announcement could add another boost

Based on these potential events I think $5.5M is still doable. Even if everything goes wrong from here on out we've still accomplished so much. Cheer up folks.

New Update: Twitch Recap Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1278195

Hello Everyone! Thank you for joining Yu Suzuki on Twitch on Friday! Many of the big questions from the campaign so far were addressed, so here is a rundown of questions and Mr. Suzuki’s responses:

Will there be a physical reward for PS4?
This is the most requested reward, and one I personaly would like to see the most. For right now though, I would like to ask everyone to hold on a little while yet.

How will the funding from the Kickstater be used?
There is a Kickstarter Budget Estimate graph on the project page, so please have a look there for the details .

Will we see an improvement in the graphics?
Especially concerning Ryo’s face, I am not satisfied with how it looks right now. We are still in the development stage, and you can expect improvements as we go along.

Will the original voice actors for Ryo also be in Shenmue 3?
I think that (Masaya Matsukaze for the Japanese language version, and Corey Marshall for the English version) are the best match for Ryo and I would like to see them back. We are currently in negotiations for them to come back, so please wait a little while until we can give you all of the details.

Will payments through PayPal be accepted?
Now I am currently looking into PayPay other payment methods to help fund the project. We are still considering other options, but do not have an answer for you right now.

Will there be DRM-free version for Windows PC?
We are still looking into that option as well, but it is not something that we can decide on our own, and will need to discuss it with the other parties concerned.

Will there be Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 HD Remastered versions?
I personally would like to see remastered versions come out before Shenmue 3, so fans can really get to know the story and enjoy 3 even more. I really hope this could happen. The rights to Shenmue 1 & 2 belong to Sega, so I am not in a position to comment on it. However I would like to talk to them about it.

What is the Rapport System?
It will be a feature that governs Shenhua’s attitude towards you, depending on your conversations or actions you take. I believe it will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

What is the Skill Tree System?
There will be many different ways to obtain Technique Scrolls from—from the shops, mini-games, betting games, and quests. Those technique scrolls will allow you to use those techniques right away in battle as a QTE event. The Advanced Skill Techniques and Arcane Skill Techniques are managed in a tree diagram where you fill up the tree to complete your martial arts learning.

What are the Baisha Stretch Goals?
The $5 million Srtetch Goal will focus on the area, Baisha. This will be something new and fun I would like to include for Shenmue 3. It will include siege and infiltration events based off the Warring Kingdoms period in Chinese history. The events will be very Shenmue-like and will fit into the game naturally and will not be difficult to grasp. There is also the Character Perspective System. It is a character change system, but in Shenmue, it will work a little differently. It will allow you to play as Shenhua or Ren, besides Ryo. The choices that Shenhua or Ren would make would be different from those of Ryo’s because their personalities are different. It will bring out their individual character and add another element of enjoyment to the game. There are Stretch Goals up to $11 million, and I would like to explain those next week!

How will Shenmue 3 be different at $3 million, $5 and $10 million?
At the $3 million level, Shenmue 3 will be more story oriented. Going to $5 million, there will be features not present in 1 & 2, features that I really want to see in Shenmue 3 like the Warring Kingdom scenarios. At the $10 million level, the area Choubu will get a big expansion, and be like Dobuita in Yokosuka where you will have a lot of options to explore and have fun. I hope we can shoot for that goal and make Shenmue 3 more open world like.

Is Shenmue 3 the end of the story?
The initial story line contains 11 chapters. I thought about condensing the story in 3, but I thought that necessitate cutting too much of the story out, so I decided not to go that route. Many fans really want to see the whole story.

When will the Trail version come out?
The Trial version will require many of the basic systems to be functional first, so it will be released in the latter half of the development process. I would most likely be looking sometime after we get into 2017.

There are so many questions that you would like to have answered yet, and we will do our best to answer what we can at this stage of development, so please keep asking away, There will be more Q & A with Yu Suzuki to follow!

qcf x2

i really don't see it that way, he said we're getting the game. 5 mill there's a new feature he's wanted; open world (based on an earlier shot) looked like more mini-games & stuff, not that it turns into GTA/Shenmue Online or something.

even the biggest AAA title could have more content with more time/money, that doesn't read to me like every game is gimped.

Also, if Shenmue 3 sells decently then there will be a Shenmue 4 and it will not require a kickstarter, thus he'll be able to add those features for later chapters of the story, which is totally fine by me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm waiting for the last week to double my pledge. I think it'll hit at least 4.5, hoping for 6 and would be very happy with 5.

I do think Suzuki-san should let the biggest backers do a live Q&A with him.

ZeroCDR

The initial story line contains 11 chapters. I thought about condensing the story in 3, but I thought that necessitate cutting too much of the story out, so I decided not to go that route. Many fans really want to see the whole story.

It's a miracle we're getting Shenmue 3 at all, and the story won't be concluded here? I can't get behind this decision, I'm not ready for more cliffhangers if this game bombs at retail.

Well, I have 7 friends who are big Shenmue fans but they don't won't to back the KS as long as there isn't a PS4 disc version coming. So there's that :/
I hope they're gonna add that in the upcoming days.

'Big Shenmue fans'? And they won't put any money into the kick-starter? Yeah, they're not big Shenmue fans.

It's a miracle we're getting Shenmue 3 at all, and the story won't be concluded here? I can't get behind this decision, I'm not ready for more cliffhangers if this game bombs at retail.

Ending the story in III would be awful. The story has only begun and you want Yu to put in the rest of the story rushed? Yuck. Besides, it's not even possible with the budget of Shenmue III unless you want a visual novel. I want the original vision even if I have to wait another 14 years.

Trojan X

Banned

I 100% definitely do NOT want Shenmue III to end the story. I want Shenmue III to fulfill to Yu Suzuki's full vision and if the story goes up to Shenmue 6 to end then so be it. Why? Because I cannot get tired of Shenmue for the games are fantastic! I didn't kept Shenmue 1 & 2 and my Dreamcast for nothing. They are awesome so why would anyone want it to end? That makes no sense why this is seen as a negativity in those people's eyes unless they can explain it.

Furoba

Sure there are risks involved with sticking to the original artistic vision, but I'd take a worthy Shenmue III sequel with another cliffhanger if need be over a distilled Shenmue anytime.

Even with all the negativity, Shenmue III's KS is well on it's way to break previous records. You are making it sound as if Shenmue III will bomb at retail for certain, and that there is no way Shenmue IV could be funded on KS.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Then I have to ask, was Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 true open world games? IMO they were more like open areas, and I would be totally fine with that in Shenmue 3.

Hubble

They should have had 30 updates ready to go before the kickstarter started. We should be getting concept art, videos, interviews, detailed write-ups of the stretch goals, social media campaigns, and more.

These two posts I agree with highly. The stretch goals are not enticing to cause spurs of funding when no one knows what they are, or are not simplified.

Then I have to ask, was Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 true open world games? IMO they were more like open areas, and I would be totally fine with that in Shenmue 3.

Well, if they arent considered "true open-worlds" it would be because technology didnt allow it, not because he didnt want to do it, open-worlds have changed a lot in 14 years. I was young when the first one came out and I played it, a bit older when I played SII obviously but they were pretty good open-worlds back then, even if they werent truly open like we have now.

I would think the $10m goal is referring to delivering a world like we had then, except in 2015(/7) style, which would have much less loading, i'd assume. Something else perhaps he should clarify, although im curious as to how he will deliver either with $10m (minus fees and p&p and anything else)

border

All this seems like stuff that the marketing consultants for his Kickstarter should have advised him not to say, or to better expand upon.
It seems like people are stretching to blame Awesome Japan instead of Suzuki. "Oh he said something damaging to the campaign? Well AJ should have told him not to say that!"

At the very least the blame should be somewhat shared. Suzuki launched this thing without a whole lot of content to show people, and a bunch of vague concepts on which to base stretch goals. I think it was obviously rushed to meet the E3 deadline. Maybe AJ told him to line up more compelling content, but none of that could really be completed in time for the Sony Press Conference.

Erevador

It seems like people are stretching to blame Awesome Japan instead of Suzuki. "Oh he said something damaging to the campaign? Well AJ should have told him not to say that!"

At the very least the blame should be somewhat shared. Suzuki launched this thing without a whole lot of content to show people, and a bunch of vague concepts on which to base stretch goals. I think it was obviously rushed to meet the E3 deadline. Maybe AJ told him to line up more compelling content, but none of that could really be completed in time for the Sony Press Conference.
I think it's fair to judge the marketers for being bad at marketing, whilst giving the game dev a break since it is not his forte. Suzuki talks like a dev. It is their job to sell his vision to the masses in a way they understand. It is also their job to communicate a JAPANESE developer's thoughts in a way that an English-speaking audience can understand.

Also, Awesome Japan are just hilariously, visibly inept bozos.

Erevador

New Graph.
AhYiGsP.jpg

And yes today's 10K is the worse day out of all 5 of those campaigns, beating Torments 15K.
Heartbreaking. So much momentum, stalled out by the most incompetent team ever to head up a major Kickstarter.

I am hopeful there will be a major shakeup sometime in the next three days and we'll have a much better managed second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom