• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women as Reward - Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerulily

...you're serious?

Sorry but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend Ryu being without his shirt on showing off his ripped chest with a full beard isn't going to appeal to a certain demographic in a sexual nature.

I might as well just make this suggestion.

Men more often find sexuality in a lot of things that women just don't. I see men old and young, hot and not walking downtown shirtless in Toronto all the time. It isn't a thing, at all. Yes, hot men look good shirtless, but being shirtless isn't really the part that makes any of it sexy.

Having said that. There are people who have fetishes for balloons, but we don't usually say "well there are balloons in the background, which also appeal to certain demographics." Because we know, and you know, that isn't the intent.

When people are saying "power fantasy" what they're talking about is intent and assumptions about primary demographic. Male characters can sometimes come off as sexy, sure. But you have to be able to establish that there is an intent to make them sexually appealing to the point where a game runs up against it's release date trying to make sure they're coming across sexy enough

Good vid.

I ... didn't really know how much of a problem some of these were seeing how selective I am with my games. Never played a lot of the ones in this vid nor do I follow the fandoms.

Mesoian

Good video overall, but I am kinda surprised she went for the sixaxis boob shaking in MGS4 over the taking sexy photos of PTSD victims. Easily one of the grossest things Kojima has ever done.

She probably didn't know about it.

I didn't know about it until I watched Metal Gear Scanlon and even then, THEY didn't know about it until someone in the GB forums PM'd the director. I always put the B&B's to sleep as quickly as possible.

DrArchon

All this talk of sexualized male characters reminds me of Final Fantasy Mevius and how everyone got up in arms over the main character's design there. There's definitely a double standard at play when everyone whines about his costume being "ridiculous" while someone like Cammy gets far fewer complaints.

Crocodile

Apparently a shirtless guy is totally equivalent to Cammy prancing around in a thong.

Did anyone actually say that? Or are people just saying that part of designing a super-fit/idealized character inherently invokes some sex appeal (that will vary from character to character and design to design)?

Yeah, it feels more like they use those "sexy" men outfits as get-out-of-jail-free cards to design women's clothing any way they want.

Even if you want to be cynical, that's still better/an improvement no? I'd think a balance of costume types in a game in which both genders are playable seems better than "no sexy/wacky costumes ever" (assuming the game is "wacky" enough to pull it off at all).

Trickster

Lol at shirtless Ryu being sexualized. Attractive looking characters =/= sexualized characters. If you want a Capcom example, I'd say sailor Chris would indeed be a much better example - not Ryu who is still wearing more clothes than, say, a MMA fighter. And as has been mentioned - males have been wanting a bearded Ryu for ages now.

I agree with you to a large degree, but at the same time I think there's a tendency to brush it off as just more male power fantasy or some such thing whenever male characters lose some clothes, while it being the opposite for female characters, then it's sexualization ( which I'm not denying that it very often is ).

But to give an example where I think a female character got wrongfully "accused" of being sexualized for showing a tiny bit skin. In the recent R. Mika announcement thread( I think it was). The discussion got focused on Makoto at some point, where it was argued that her gi uniform sliding down slighty on one shoulder when she got stunned in SF3 was a case of sexualizing her.

So yeah, I definitely think there's a trend of thinking by a lot of people that male characters are very rarely designed to have some eye candy factor for either gays or women. But at the same time, women are almost always designed solely as eye candy. And while I think it obviously mostly the case, I do think it's not quite as black and white. I mean, you just know that there'll be R34 drawings of bare chested, bearded ryu popping up within the next few hours around the internets.

We need more sexy men in this industry. The few examples present in Metal Gear and Resident Evil are just baby steps that need to be embraced by a wider audience.

All this talk of sexualized male characters reminds me of Final Fantasy Mevius and how everyone got up in arms over the main character's design there. There's definitely a double standard at play when everyone whines about his costume being "ridiculous" while someone like Cammy gets far fewer complaints.

Yeah, definitely.

What she needs to realize is that this media reflects reality, not that the media is influencing reality. Women voluntarily give themselves up to men as rewards all the time. And consciously choose to do so to benefit themselves.

Women will generally spend hours in front of a mirror improving their looks so that they can attract the most successful men possible. They're purposely choosing to use their bodies to reward successful behavior in men.

They do this for one reason. They believe it's easier than actually becoming successful themselves. That's why you see lots of men going into difficult high paying majors and women taking easier lower paying ones. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's just the general decisions of each gender. Men know that if they want to become wealthy they need to earn it, while it's easier for women to simply marry into wealth. Again nothing wrong. If a women chooses to forgo fun in her youth to achieve a daunting degree like engineering that's great. And if a women chooses to party and have fun in college then marry an engineer that's fine too.

So I'm sorry to burst your victimhood bubble but there is no underlying male domination in society. Men are far more likely to be killed on the job. Far more likely to be attacked in public. Far more likely to have to earn their own wealth. Far more likely to kill themselves. Far more likely to be drafted into the next big war to be used as cannon fodder. Far more likely to lose custody of their children in similar circumstances to other women. Far more likely to serve harsher sentences for the same crime. Far more likely to work at any occupation in the show Dirty Jobs. Far more likely to be hit as children. Far more likely to work longer hours than even childless mothers. In short shut the actual fuck up and stop calling me a bad person for having a pair of balls.

Honestly, if more protagonists had dimensions like Raiden rather than dimensions like marcus Fenix, the male sexualization argument would probably be more valid.

Hell, even when it was time to stop making Raiden a joke and turn him into a bad ass, they beefed up his physique with all sorts of crazy muscle looking but not muscle tech.
Totally agree. Raiden as a character, against typical male ideal would be a interesting video.
Also the beatuy and beast unit is terrible in every way.

Dame

Great video and even does a great explanation of what male entitlement is, which will hopefully curb incoming "but in MGS, men are sexualized, too!!!" posts

There are actually a lot of examples from the past five years, which is pretty embarrassing.

It is so sad most of the anti-feminist argument relies on the tired "but these things happen to men too!" Argument. It's like the status quo always has to be dragged kicking and screaming into accepting that we participate in being so ignorant and tone deaf.

You're also right about the examples.

Mesoian

We need more sexy men in this industry. The few examples present in Metal Gear and Resident Evil are just baby steps that need to be embraced by a wider audience.

Game designers should read KareKano, if only to understand what desirable men are supposed to look like, opposed to super roided caricatures of themselves. I mean hell, in the past year, 3 separate game dev studios that are on GAF have made 3 different gay otome games, and only one of them is filled with super butch guys. Take a hint devs.

Totally agree. Raiden as a character, against typical male ideal would be a interesting video.
Also the beatuy and beast unit is terrible in every way.

Honestly, that's part of why Raiden was such a great character for the game he was in. Since he was supposed to be such a jarring shift from snake, the primary player character went from a masculine power fantasy to a more effiminate character that was much more appealing to women.

Players were so conditioned to expect something that catered specifically to their tastes that the reaction was negative, and that's a major part of the problem. Hell, that's the problem.

Being needlessly pedantic here? She acknowledges that it's a leotard get up but its still the clothing she wears under her power suit, hence why she called it Samus's underwear.
It's not really needlessly pedantic when distinctions like that provide significant means of criticism towards the author. "Underwear " has a specific connotation to her primary audience and it's not the same as using the word "undergarment", the latter being capable of including a variety of functional and appropriate clothing (triathlon gear being the most obvious as it's often worn under a wetsuit). Misuse detracts from arguments while exclusion in this case wouldn't weaken the point at all.

Mesoian

What she needs to realize is that this media reflects reality, not that the media is influencing reality. Women voluntarily give themselves up to men as rewards all the time. And consciously choose to do so to benefit themselves.

Women will generally spend hours in front of a mirror improving their looks so that they can attract the most successful men possible. They're purposely choosing to use their bodies to reward successful behavior in men.

They do this for one reason. They believe it's easier than actually becoming successful themselves. That's why you see lots of men going into difficult high paying majors and women taking easier lower paying ones. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's just the general decisions of each gender. Men know that if they want to become wealthy they need to earn it, while it's easier for women to simply marry into wealth. Again nothing wrong. If a women chooses to forgo fun in her youth to achieve a daunting degree like engineering that's great. And if a women chooses to party and have fun in college then marry an engineer that's fine too.

So I'm sorry to burst your victimhood bubble but there is no underlying male domination in society. Men are far more likely to be killed on the job. Far more likely to be attacked in public. Far more likely to have to earn their own wealth. Far more likely to kill themselves. Far more likely to be drafted into the next big war to be used as cannon fodder. Far more likely to lose custody of their children in similar circumstances to other women. Far more likely to serve harsher sentences for the same crime. Far more likely to work at any occupation in the show Dirty Jobs. Far more likely to be hit as children. Far more likely to work longer hours than even childless mothers. In short shut the actual fuck up and stop calling me a bad person for having a pair of balls.

I lol'd. I really did.

To think, the thing you got out of this video was, "men's problems don't matter", even though more than half of it is about curtailing the indoctrination of male entitlement through education and better games that reinforce healthier behaviors instead of unhealthy ones.

Good job.

Paganmoon

why do people give her the time of day is beyond me

Did you post in the wrong tab or something?

Poe, right? I mean, it's laying it on pretty thick, but it -could- be real...

There is a lot to unpack here... but why don't we start with you explaining what a "childless mother" is?

BlackJace

As a fellow person with a pair of balls, I can easily say that I know that this video isn't aiming at me personally. Yet, I can still acknowledge its merit and tell who it applies to.

Ho boy. In an effort to offer a rebuttal to your awful post, I had to create a list of your talking points:

-Treating women as trophies is reality
-Women use their bodies to get what they want
-Women are too lazy to become successful themselves so they try to attract successful men and marry them
-Hints of professional victim accusations
-Men are victimized more than women
-Anita has accused you of being a bad person because you have testicles

Did I miss anything?

We have to ignore these are they are all male power fantasies.

Yes that is right, Raiden who often comes across as mistaken for a woman, who when being naked with no dick on his model is a male power fantasy.

Acting like Raiden is anywhere near a standard or a norm or common in any way not only misses the point, it actually undermines his character and his role in the game. He's supposed to be something that would give the average male gamer pause.

Mesoian

Haven't everyone of her episodes taken around this long to release? I tend to forget it exists between each episode because they're so long apart

No, the space between is getting longer and longer. It is one of my very real criticisms of Anita's stuff and why I generally go to the Jimquisition for more up to date stuff.

It's really weird saying that...

Man, it seems you have a horribly low opinion of women, let alone a lack of empathy or understanding of the very real systems and circumstances that keep women in denigrating and tragic positions.

If you can't see the difference, fine. But stop acting like your opinion is normal or that you're being persecuted. Because it's not, and you're not. When you can't recognize a problem without screaming and yelling about how much it affects you, it makes you selfish and your opinion appear unfounded, unnecessary, and uneducated.

But try considering how ridiculous these statements sound before posting here. Because that's all they are, and the level of vitriol does nothing for your argument. But it certainly demonstrates hers.

Didn't know about the MGS4 Playboy traps. Pretty funny stuff.

I know it was tying the Playboy branding together but I wish they'd used footage of generic porno mags from MGS3 instead since the animation and voice acting makes it seem a lot funnier and light hearted for whatever reason. Uncanny valley effect maybe? Young, 1960's Big Boss vs old lech Snake probably sells the mechanic better too.

If I remember right, it was also the only way I could quickly get through the second to last area on the highest difficulty without being detected for a no alert/no special items run, by laying them down for the group of pursuing guards that arrive behind you.

Weiss

Banned

Yes that is right, Raiden who often comes across as mistaken for a woman, who when being naked with no dick on his model is a male power fantasy.

Isn't Raiden's massively negative reception in the West, and how he spends most of MGS2 getting his teeth kicked in, kind of indicative of the difference between how men and women are treated in games? Raiden fails to live up the masculine power fantasy of Snake (and, you know, that was the point), and he's relentless mocked for it. It's not just that people hate him; they hate him for being effeminate.

Tapejara

This is a disgusting opinion.

cerulily

I don't even.... dude, are you aware of the concept of a social norm? If I don't do my makeup I don't fit in with other women, period. I'm not walking around trying to attract mates and shit.

This is probably the grossest thing I've read on this site in a LONG time.

What about us Queer women who still do our makeup to just generally look nice? Am I subconsciously trying to build myself into a trophy?

Karkador

Banned

You're talking about one character created specifically as a deliberate, troll-ish departure from the norm for that game series, and one moment in the game that was mostly played up for laughs and humiliation rather than sexualization

vs

The many, many more times women (in the very same game, even) are pinned up and actually sexualized.

So happy to be able to come into this thread and not see a bunch of people screaming that Anita is the devil. It's refreshing.

I don't agree with Anita, I think her arguments are one-sided and poorly constructed but even I got sick of those comments, they're acting like Anita was the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. It seems like they don't understand that it's okay to have different opinions, discourse should be mature and not child-like.

Why? Without blaming it on your "lower-income Mexican" upbringing, if possible.

Macho society, is what I meant. Is really simple: you are raised with the mentality that everything you do, going to school, choosing a career, get a job, with the intention of getting women. If your family is religious, then they expect you to settle with the one you marry, otherwise, is free for all.

I'm don't follow that mentality, but even if my ideal of life are "to prove yourself worthy of living in society, and help bring well being to all of us" (don't judge me if sound corny, I can phrase it right better in Spanish), it is still there, a little voice behind your ear, that adds "and to get women".

Ha ha! Straight male entitlement in action.

Blame it on whatever you like; nevertheless, this attitude should and will change, and it's just as much your responsibility as it is mine.

Call it as you like. Is not that I'll be mad if all the "eye candy" and fan service eventually goes away, but I would certainly miss it. Although not a the same level some men miss having women relegated to home wives roles.

I see what she means about Samus (and I definitely think Fem Freq is sometimes a bit 'heavy' in their criticisms)... personally, I found Other M much more detrimental to Samus' portrayal of a kickass woman than her end-game bikini/sportsgear stuff.

Yes, I agree, they portrait her as a dumb bimbo at some points. I still enjoyed the game as a whole.

nubbe

bXLywhH.png

I still like Wayforward's games though :p

It really bust out in 3D

Bluenoser

Not sure I agree with all of that, but it was an epic rant.

daviyoung

Banned
Great video, but I disagree with a couple of examples like the hilarious porn-mag distraction in MGS4 and the bad sex Niko constantly has.

redcrayon

Wow. That is a beast of a generalisation. Thanks for sharing.

Mesoian

You're talking about one character created specifically as a deliberate, troll-ish departure from the norm for that game series, and one moment in the game that was mostly played up for laughs and humiliation rather than sexualization

vs

The many, many more times women (in the very same game, even) are pinned up and actually sexualized.

On a pure design level, yes, totally. Absolutely 100%.

Also Vaan from FF12, same thing. On a pure design level, yes.

Not sure I agree with all of that, but it was an epic rant.

how could you agree with any of it? it's a bunch of shitty MRA talking points barfed into the thread.

and looking at the user's post history makes me think he's for real. although it could be a long con like muppet was.

You are not a bad person for having a pair of balls, you are a bad person because you're a sexist asshole. That "victimhood bubble" bit is particularly ironic.

Sophia

The ultimate power fantasy every boy dreams of.

sexy-chris.jpg

Yeeeeah..... you'd think with this image hitting so many potential areas of appeal/fetishes that it'd be pretty sexy. Yet it just comes off as tacky. :\

Hoo boy.... you have a really terrible opinion of women if you somehow think that we chose to look good simply because we're incapable of being successful elsewhere. That's some real ass backwards 1950s style logic there. :S

Viper3

Who's calling you a bad person for having a pair of balls? Maybe you're just a victim of your insecurities.

And those insecurities aren't gonna get resolved by posting this little shitty tantrum of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom