• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Making underwater levels is hard. Creativity is somewhay blocked by the limited moveset of Mario.

Guessing it will be the most unpopular theme.

.Anema

Just made a new level inspired in Donkey Kong Country with Donkey and Diddy Kong!
Please check it here: CFF2-0000-0030-1ABA
Remember to find the bonus stages!

wvw69iyywssud1ve0x9yoa7.jpeg

I took a shot at a Super Mario World Level (there aren't enough of these)

It's my first level so it's probably a bit aimless, but any feedback is very much appreciated.

Towers and Tunnels (F1D5-0000-0023-489E)

Wanted to repost this so more people see it. It's a fantastic level that more people should play!

Seik

Banned
Got up to bowser and died...then died again because his fire pattern as I came up on the giant bomb was perfection. Many tries later I finally got it.

If I had to sum up my complaints there's a lot of random stuff going on...hammer bros on platforms, kamek, boos, flying bowser, jumping lava balls while I'm riding an unfamiliar track high above the lava...so many places to die because you haven't dialed in the routine or it changed on you slightly.
A mushroom could have helped with that.

Also, that thwomp after the door catches me really often...I'm kinda feeling it at that point and then I have to slowdown so I don't die from getting into a groove.

Still, really great first effort

Thank you!!!

Here's a tip:
I did put a flower in a invisible block at the very beginning, I put a coin block so that people could jump on it by accident.
:)

Man, someone on miiverse said that the first two screens were too easy. I died like a million times until I figured out how to jump past them :)
I found it a bit too hard because I didn't find any power-ups
except the first hidden flower
. The Bowser fight could be a bit more engaging. (He just flew above me and I had no trouble reaching the axe.) But, maybe it's better to have an easier fight after a tough beginning.
I also forgot to star you, so I started the level once more, but couldn't beat it again... sorry!

No worries, I'm just glad that some people get to try it. :D

Hey guys! I made a very simplistic course called "How Fast Can You Go?", where basically you just go as quick as possible, tell me what you think!

Course ID: 2F96-0000-0030-25D6

LaneDS

I know. I've done that, but it's still whatever the "SAVE" function spits out. Which is usually devoid of live objects.

Oh definitely misread your first post.

I think when you're playing, if you hit the Home button at the moment you want a screenshot to be uploaded, go to Miiverse and you'll have the option to upload that to your screenshot album.

Oidisco

FUCK!

I decided to replace the platforms on tracks that were de-syncing with regular platforming, but I've hit my limit of bricks!

Made the first stage in World 2 of my level sets. People are telling me they're too easy, but with approximately 100 people having played my World 1-1 stage it's only got like a 40% completion rate.

Anyway, here:

Pesca 2-1 (9D0E-0000-002D-ED62)

Up next, my first Water level

octopiggy

Ok. So I'm going to make this my OP and add all further created levels to this post.
Here's what I've got so far:

10 Steps - 76F6-0000-0017-538D - https://youtu.be/VlAiUaaPX1c

Bombsketball - 2494-0000-0025-FF28 - https://youtu.be/4JdoNxHxeiA

Why Can't Mario Crawl? - 643B-0000-001A0F89 - https://youtu.be/6aN2eP9VIqU

Death From Above! - 9543-0000-003A-3A9D - https://youtu.be/3B1FqbDhNNU

WarioWare, Inc. - 2B43-0000-0038-3F06 - https://youtu.be/IG_zjsrsUm0

Vegetables In Mario Maker Please - DD68-0000-003C-F3E9 - https://youtu.be/1QIVctmlPPY

Nintendo Land - 2F52-0000-004A-3B6C - https://youtu.be/6IAcSpp54tA

Mario & Bowser: Dream Team - D488-0000-0052-CCF5 - https://youtu.be/pVs0fMfEOjc

1 - 1 dlroW - Course ID - 72B0-0000-004A-2A22 - https://youtu.be/7smlZsTFwOE

Can You Find Totaka's Song? - Course ID - 9037-0000-0052-9EE8 - https://youtu.be/VYnzROl0Vqw

WarioWare, Inc. 2 - BAED-0000-0062-B3BB -

Hope you enjoy!
If you try out out one of my levels let me know and I promise I will give one of yours a go.

goldenpp72

So I got a message saying I unlocked all course elements, but the bottom row with the castle looking thing is entirely empty, is there more to unlock or is this the end?

Dd02MuV.jpg

Quest for the legendary airship!

(0F3D-0000-002A-D60F)

This is what I made after getting subzones. I wanted to reward exploration, but not give you a million pipes to try. The treasure ship's not too hard to find, though...

Screw it, I might as well post a level of mine;

24D1-0000-0030-7F6D
WVW69iYkO6oh73Cir8

The Abandoned Fleet Beyond

Probably not an original concept (the whole "lost fleet" thing), but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Try and find the three hidden 1-UPs, yo.

EDIT: Had to fix a smaaall design flaw I noticed after replaying it. Managed to snap a good shot this time too. :p

TheMoon

So I got a message saying I unlocked all course elements, but the bottom row with the castle looking thing is entirely empty, is there more to unlock or is this the end?

That's everything. The theory is that it's just space for moving palette elements.

It's not a theory, it's been a well known fact for months now that the last row is your custom row where you can put your most frequently needed items for the current course you're making.

Anteo

I made 2 new stages:

Are you the one behind this?
This time we face the leader of that army from the last stage.

kLJcxXR.jpg

9F71-0000-002E-1503

He was nothing but a pawn
We have to get out of the castle somehow..

n7he29R.jpg

99D8-0000-002F-094C

Both of these come after my other stage: "Whose army is this?" E27D-0000-0029-4A0D. I'm trying to tell a story with the stage titles

As always, there are alternate paths. In case of the last one, the path is the same you just travel on foot.

Feedback is appreciated!

boxter432

My first 3 levels (with limited items). Haven't gotten many plays on them yet and only a couple stars, so they are probably not great but I kind of enjoy them. Let me know what could be improved for future level building, thanks!

Underground Spring (1D27-0000-0019-1388)
My first level. Spring here does not mean water. A couple awkward jumps in the middle that might take a couple attempts. Cpt Falcon "launcher" at the end is better in theory than execution (hold right as you jump out of the horizontal springs)

Cave Tunnel (FF3A-0000-002A-BD44)
A couple hidden one ups, couple spots to use a shell and alternate path for the top of the pole. Platforms in the middle require triple jump (created spot to land if you are short and continue on)

Piranha Cove (0B80-0000-002B-C0E3)
short swimming level with some piranha plants. One way for a 1up, goal is other path. Tried to make an interesting setting putting spikes and plants in the ceiling and floors.

Milpool

Making underwater levels is hard. Creativity is somewhay blocked by the limited moveset of Mario.

Guessing it will be the most unpopular theme.

I'm so bummed the swim controls from SMW weren't inherited, the d-pad used to control how fast you ascended while tapping the swim button.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Put up my first couple:

Tricksy Underground - BDA3-0000-001C-8341
First try. Messing around with the shell physics a bit at the beginning there. I know that part in the middle is kind of a dead-end if you mess up and lose the mushroom, I'll probably go back and lengthen the level and give an alternate path, or make the bit blocked off by it just lead to an optional reward rather than the rest of the level.

Super Wario Maker 1-1 - A44B-0000-002F-424C
I've iterated on this one a few times, pretty happy with it. A straightforward A-to-B
W
ario level with a good rhythm of ups and downs. A bit of pizzazzy shell-activated gimmicks for progression that I don't think will trip anyone up too bad and can easily be retried if they're missed, and a little bit at the end where you have to clear a gap with a timed jump or two onto a Bullet Bill or Cheep Cheep. Probably won't get a lot of stars because it's not overly flashy, but I think it's a solid effort with some decent player engagement and a nice flow.

So I finally completed work on the first level:

WVW69iYebQkVTxS26N

World 1-1: Bowser imprisoned Mario
17D6-0000-002D-29DE

Bowser, evil King of Koopas has captured Mario and imprisoned him in his castle.
Slowly starving to death, Mario reminisces about his adventures, while suddenly a loud bang echoes through the dark castle.

Our beloved plumber has got some unexpected help from a mysterious ally...

Replayability:
- Different paths
- Find the 3 hidden 1-ups
- Collect 100 coins

The level is rather challenging but I've tweaked it as much as possible so that it never feels cheap.

Hope some of you will take the time to play it and give some proper feedback.
I've spent alot of time on this level to make it as perfect as I can.
Tried this a few times, didn't complete it, but it showed promise. The first criticism that comes to mind is that the Red Parakoopa should just be staged where he's needed, rather than coming out of the pipe. The way you have it, he doesn't activate unless you go near the pipe, and if someone takes that twisty path up right before that (which is most people's first instinct, considering the blocks leading to the pipe are mostly obscured by the lava), he won't have spawned if they jump from the top of that. He also tends to fly upwards out of reach right after exiting the pipe, making the player sit on their thumb waiting for him to get into position. I think that effect would be lessened, if not eliminated completely, if he was just flying in his intended position to start with.

Granted, it would trap the player if they jump off the Koopa and don't hit the platform with the two spikes right, so I understand the thought process behind having the pipe there to spawn more, but they'd almost certainly hit the lava if they mistimed that jump anyway. They're not going to be alive to make a second chance, so planning around one is kind of a moot point.

iGeodude

I made two stages, nothing too special. I feel like they're challenging but perfectly beatable.

Beginner's Maze
5F25-0000-0012-A35B

Novice's Maze
B72C-0000-0028-F47D

Novice's Maze is the same as Beginner's Maze, but with slight changes. Please check them out.

Disappointing. I'm creating a level with Piranha Plants bouncing on springs, but even though I'm spawning them above the springs, when I test the level, they're occupying the same tile as the spring itself, so they remain stationary. It seems to be an issue with objects being loaded when you get close to them in the level, as it only happens with plants that aren't inmediately close by when Mario spawns.

That's pretty shitty.

Beats

Just gonna use this post for my levels and add to it later when I make new ones:

Shell Spring Zone:
D148-0000-0030-3A5E
- Made some adjustments to my first level after seeing it had only 1 clear out of 40 if anyone wants to give it a shot. I mainly show the gimmick of the stage in the first two sections which should give people an idea of how to tackle the rest of the stage. There aren't any super hard jumps, so it shouldn't be too bad I think. Not sure if I'm giving away too much with the arrow/coin placements or if I'm being too forgiving with my "checkpoint" doors. lol

Hoppin' on Troopas:
A9FF-0000-0029-3287
- Starts out easy and gets a bit more difficult as it goes on. You can go through the level slow, but I placed some enemies in a way that allows you to speed through it. There are one or two hard jumps, and alternate ways to clear some sections.

Anteo

Disappointing. I'm creating a level with Piranha Plants bouncing on springs, but even though I'm spawning them above the springs, when I test the level, they're occupying the same tile as the spring itself, so they remain stationary. It seems to be an issue with objects being loaded when you get close to them in the level, as it only happens with plants that aren't inmediately close by when Mario spawns.

That's pretty shitty.

Weird, I had a couple of stages that use the very same concept and never had this problem. What tileset are you using? NSMW?
Wait, are you spawning them with a pipe? or just putting them on top of the springs

Edit: I'm an idiot, you cant spawn them with a pipe, they would get stuck on the pipe lol

KDR_11k

Tried a gimmick for a change, should be easy to recognize what I'm going for:

WVW69iYjBVM3vXImMQ

6FFD-0000-002F-B7AA

Includes a kind of "boss fight" that I wish I could place a checkpoint on. Also it's probably not recognizable enough.

sonto340

An update with checkpoints would be a god send.
I've run into a lot of interesting levels online but the fourth or fifth time I play the intro because something later on is problematic I usually give up

Level Title: Slender Mario 1(Expert) v2
ID: 4F4E-0000-0030-5F1A
NNID: tshadowknight
Description: A level based around the skinny power up mushroom, get ready for some jumps regular ol' Mario could only ever dream of!
Difficulty: Hard

I've updated my stage after feed back by Robiin. It still isn't an easy stage though.

Vitet

My new level, Inferno Downstairs, is an underground map with some tricky platform sections below and some cape and other gimmicks above. Try to find the secret room!
2bCYXqN.jpg

And Tower of Doom, a try to make a vertical level, seems to be doing well
Nt6S4nF.jpg

Right now I'm focusing in making short levels that go from easy to medium difficulty. Here are the codes:

F0D1-0000-001F-0DB9

E864-0000-002B-C9DD

B51B-0000-002D-890D

Weird, I had a couple of stages that use the very same concept and never had this problem. What tileset are you using? NSMW?
Wait, are you spawning them with a pipe? or just putting them on top of the springs

Edit: I'm an idiot, you cant spawn them with a pipe, they would get stuck on the pipe lol

I'm using SMB1. I'm putting down just a spring (trampoline), and then putting a Piranha Plant above it.

Put up my first couple:

Tricksy Underground - BDA3-0000-001C-8341
First try. Messing around with the shell physics a bit at the beginning there. I know that part in the middle is kind of a dead-end if you mess up and lose the mushroom, I'll probably go back and lengthen the level and give an alternate path, or make the bit blocked off by it just lead to an optional reward rather than the rest of the level.

Super Wario Maker 1-1 - A44B-0000-002F-424C
I've iterated on this one a few times, pretty happy with it. A straightforward A-to-B
W
ario level with a good rhythm of ups and downs. A bit of pizzazzy shell-activated gimmicks for progression that I don't think will trip anyone up too bad and can easily be retried if they're missed, and a little bit at the end where you have to clear a gap with a timed jump or two onto a Bullet Bill or Cheep Cheep. Probably won't get a lot of stars because it's not overly flashy, but I think it's a solid effort with some decent player engagement and a nice flow.

Tried this a few times, didn't complete it, but it showed promise. The first criticism that comes to mind is that the Red Parakoopa should just be staged where he's needed, rather than coming out of the pipe. The way you have it, he doesn't activate unless you go near the pipe, and if someone takes that twisty path up right before that (which is most people's first instinct, considering the blocks leading to the pipe are mostly obscured by the lava), he won't have spawned if they jump from the top of that. He also tends to fly upwards out of reach right after exiting the pipe, making the player sit on their thumb waiting for him to get into position. I think that effect would be lessened, if not eliminated completely, if he was just flying in his intended position to start with.

Granted, it would trap the player if they jump off the Koopa and don't hit the platform with the two spikes right, so I understand the thought process behind having the pipe there to spawn more, but they'd almost certainly hit the lava if they mistimed that jump anyway. They're not going to be alive to make a second chance, so planning around one is kind of a moot point.

To be honest, my first design had the flying a little bit lower and without the pipe.

I added the pipe because I was afraid people would say they got stuck because they killed the Koopa. But you've certainly got a point, it wouldn't matter anyway if they screw up.

Will take notes of the feedback and release a V2 someday.

Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On my line of "trying to make them somewhat official-looking" series of levels, I present my newest one:

Pipe Skies
49BD-0000-002D-59D0

WVW69iYerO0xzFS4n4

Difficulty around Medium. Feedback appreciated!

My old levels:

Vanilla Caves
4CF4-0000-0015-C479

Hello World 01
16FE-0000-0011-72C5

Pipe Skies - that last jump is too mean. I assume you have to bounce on bullet bills but that seems harsh. Also for me at least, too many hammer dudes (did they used to throw that many hammers in SMW? They seem more aggressive in this)

You basically have to play the level like sonic the hedgehog to have a shot - if you give any of the piranhas a chance to spawn you're basically screwed.

Anteo

I'm using SMB1. I'm putting down just a spring (trampoline), and then putting a Piranha Plant above it.

Are you using an autoscroller? Or maybe having the screen to scroll up or down before the piranha plant? because I'm trying it right now and I have no problems
I have a level published were I use a couple of spring boards + Winged Piranha Plant, I used winged becase it was easier to deal with but I had no problems with their wingless version

Edit: I got it, out of 6 Piranha + spring, one had the bug when I spawned mario on the top of the level and then scrolled to the bottom and to the right. Maybe the spring spawns too late?
Either spawn it above mario, or at the same level he starts

"It starts with a Simple Level." (1708-0000-002E-9A09)

I made this level today, pretty simple and also refreshing from the too easy levels but also the hardest.
I consider that if you are cautious, you can get through this level without much difficulty.

A37B-0000-002B-43A4

Chain Link Castle.

The idea behind this was experimenting with the tracks but still having it be not a hard level overall. As with all my levels though, I couldn't help but put a few shortcuts. Try and find them!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I played Koopa Heights by McNum (cant find the original post) nice level! The 1up could easily kill you though!

HF0kmuQ.jpg

I took some feedback on board and edited this stage, but it uploaded with a different code - can you edit a stage without it adding a new one? =3

I had 6 stars on the original after about half an hour so I'm hoping this improved version goes down well :D

LaneDS

Dd02MuV.jpg

Quest for the legendary airship!

(0F3D-0000-002A-D60F)

This is what I made after getting subzones. I wanted to reward exploration, but not give you a million pipes to try. The treasure ship's not too hard to find, though...

I think this would be better if you actually required the player go through the airship area you made, otherwise I think most players are going to simply miss that and quickly clear the stage without seeing it.

Aside from that, solid!

theaface

So, after spending more hours in the editor than expected (obsessively tinkering), I've completed my first level and I'm pretty proud of it! If any of you fine folk would like to give it a go, I'd much appreciate it.

THE TUNNEL OF IMMINENT PERIL
C8C3-0000-0030-5A42

I'd like to think that it's challenging without being unfair, but then as many game devs will tell you, what you intend for the player to experience and what they actually experience can be two very different things!

Here is my newest level, the Misty Docks

gI4OCd8.jpg

I liked the way the ghost tileset for SMB 3 looked, but I didn't like how the breakable blocks and "hardwood" blocks clashed with its tileset, so it ended up having a creepy warehouse dock theme and accompanying enemies to go with it. As usual my levels are about getting past enemies though a slower pace can work here.

Here is the code: 0150-0000-0030-7F09

Here are previous levels I made:
2B71-0000-0027-A12F - "Into the Heart", level where you descend into a Bowser castle
0415-0000-0021-2DBA - Cheep Cheep spam level
2D77-0000-0019-BF96 - Piranha Plants on bounce springs level

Top Bottom