• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2015 (Sep 14 - Sep 20)

horuhe

A price drop won't help if there's no demand in the first place.
Well, I suppose he was refering a high pricecut aka 10,000 or 20,000 yen. Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure, at least, someone would buy it for that reason.

horuhe

Btw, recently there has been a lot, but I mean I lot of Omocha stuff (figurines or toys) about Star Wars on stores. I know it has always been a strong franchise, but this is sort of SW storming over Japan.
CPy4_g6VAAAE9qE.jpg:large

Does this count episodes individually? If so...

Also this doesn't prove anything, it just shows it did comparably well to the HD re-release (no info on price per sale, number of continued sales past episode 1, if this number is for every episode or for every purchase of episode 1+ (the former would make the overall return much, much lower), etc), but this begs the question of how a 3DS Rev2 + HD re-release would/could have done in comparison to the episodic nature of Rev2.
I don't understand why people are trying to say Revelations 2 wasn't as big of a success just because it had an episodic release. So TellTale Games are all a failure just because people can download the first episode and ignore the rest? It won't make any sense.

The story in Revelations 2 ties in nicely to each of the subsequent episodes. Once we end it, we usually get a kickass trailer showing some of the events from the upcoming episode. Unless people really hate the first episode, I don't get this logic of just purchasing one episode when the game was priced really reasonably as well.

FWIW, here is what Capcom said about Revelations 2 in their fiscal report ending March 31st.

During the fiscal year ended March 31, 2015, in the Digital Contents business sales of the special feature title "Monster Hunter 4G" (including "Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate") were largely in line with the plan and "Resident Evil Revelations 2" which is sold in a variety manner (separate digital download sales of each episode followed by package sales) has also made a strong start to be a million seller.

And they were happy with the sales as of June 30th.

During the 3 months of the Digital Contents business, "Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition" sold well in addition to the robust repeat sales and digital download sales of other titles such as "Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate", "Resident Evil Revelations 2" and "Resident Evil (HD Remastered)" particularly in overseas markets.

Now we all know that Remake sold 1 million as of June 30th so Revelations 2 selling 1.4 million in such short amount of time is impressive to me. There is no way a hypothetical Handheld + Console version would have sold more, since it is no 2012 anymore. The popularity of the series also took a nose dive after the release of RE 6.

Vena

I don't understand why people are trying to say Revelations 2 wasn't as big of a success just because it had an episodic release. So TellTale Games are all a failure just because people can download the first episode and ignore the rest? It won't make any sense.

I asked a question, and at no point did I call it a failure (questioning how successful a product is/was and how the numbers are achieved in the reporting is not calling a product a failure). Nor did I at any point ask for a strawman to be built.

Thank you for providing no answer but instead providing a strawman.

jjonez18

Well, I suppose he was refering a high pricecut aka 10,000 or 20,000 yen. Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure, at least, someone would buy it for that reason.

Nope, was referring to the Oct 1st 5,000yen drop. Wasn't aware of how insignificant it would be. Nothing on the horizon looks big enough to bump it into the thousands then.

I asked a question, and at no point did I call it a failure (questioning how successful a product is/was and how the numbers are achieved in the reporting is not calling a product a failure). Nor did I at any point ask for a strawman to be built.

Thank you for providing no answer but instead providing a strawman.
The answer is right there.

(separate digital download sales of each episode followed by package sales)
Which reads to me as they count all purchases including Episodes. Doesn't make it any less impressive since the 1.4 million figure covers 3 months.

Vena

The answer is right there.

Which reads to me as they count all purchases including Episodes. Doesn't make it any less impressive since the 1.4 million figure covers 3 months.

Ahh, I missed that part, apologies.

But I don't find that impressive, mind I don't find it to be bad either. I'd be interested in the episodic retention as it tells us a lot about how consumers saw the product overall.

New entry in the COMGnet chart:

[3DS]プリパラ めざせ!アイドル☆グランプリNo.1! - 15pt

This is the PriPara game which is also charting on Amazon; translated title should be PriPara Mezase! Idol * Grand Prix No.1!. It's releasing on October 22nd, so in about a month.

91YIgz5C9ZL._SX385_.jpg

PriPara is basically an arcade game (developed by syn Sophia, the same team behind Girls Mode / Style Savvy / Style Boutique) turned into a multi-media franchise with an anime, a manga and two movies; the last movie is releasing on October 24th, so it might help the sales of the game.

The first PriPara game on 3DS was a cross-over with Pretty Rhythm, which was basically the previous arcade IP Takara Tomy had for the same target (i.e. young girls). That one was released in March and went to sell around 20.000 units - the new PriPara can aim at higher numbers, given it's releasing just before the holidays and has a movie.

What happened with Takara Tomy anyway? All they've made during the last few years are the Pretty Rhythm and PriPara games for girls at 3DS retail, and the occasional F2P games on the 3DS eShop aimed at boys IIRC, all of these are based on arcade games of sorts.

This is the same company that last gen specialized in Nintendo platform Naruto games (mainly the Clash of Ninja games by 8ing), and after Naruto 3D: The New Era (which never came to NA, looked awful and I think it was), they just did a major refocus. Shame since they made cool stuff and certainly had ambition in the console market, like trying to reboot Toshinden (though no so well) on Wii and even made a MH clone with Nano Divers on PSP.

Any insight on why this happened or just "because"? I guess they just didn't have much success and had to find something new.

They also rebranded themselves at Takara Tomy Arts (or shortened to T-ARTS on some occasions), what's up with that?

Also worth noting they have NO game site anymore, all games just have their own site but none are collected anywhere on their site from what I've seen.

They DO however occasionally license out their IPs, like Beast Saga on 3DS by Nippon Columbia (developed by Tabot) and that Azito x Tatsunoko Legends game on XBO by Hamster.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeh don't make loads of threads here, like you did on Chartz. They're pointless (no offence) and will get locked.

To be fair, on Chartz i wanted beat a record about those thread, i knew many of those were absolutely ridiculus. :p
Not gonna happen again here. xD

What happened with Takara Tomy anyway? All they've made during the last few years are the Pretty Rhythm and PriPara games for girls at 3DS retail, and the occasional F2P games on the 3DS eShop aimed at boys IIRC, all of these are based on arcade games of sorts.

This is the same company that last gen specialized in Nintendo platform Naruto games (mainly the Clash of Ninja games by 8ing), and after Naruto 3D: The New Era (which never came to NA, looked awful and I think it was), they just did a major refocus. Shame since they made cool stuff and certainly had ambition in the console market, like trying to reboot Toshinden (though no so well) on Wii and even made a MH clone with Nano Divers on PSP.

Any insight on why this happened or just "because"? I guess they just didn't have much success and had to find something new.

They also rebranded themselves at Takara Tomy Arts (or shortened to T-ARTS on some occasions), what's up with that?

Also worth noting they have NO game site anymore, all games just have their own site but none are collected anywhere on their site from what I've seen.

They DO however occasionally license out their IPs, like Beast Saga on 3DS by Nippon Columbia (developed by Tabot) and that Azito x Tatsunoko Legends game on XBO by Hamster.

They probably refocused as a toy and merchandising company? They're doing a lot of licensing with Disney and Nintendo as well. Their website has games but each one is in a specific section (e.g. 3DS PriPara is under the arcade section).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They probably refocused as a toy and merchandising company? They're doing a lot of licensing with Disney and Nintendo as well. Their website has games but each one is in a specific section (e.g. 3DS PriPara is under the arcade section).

And getting up for snack world?

Umm, they always were a toy and merchandise company. :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's generally on track, with the exception of the giant anomalous entry from 2007.

pokemonmysterydungeon7xspq.png

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up lower than the others given the recent LTD trajectory.

Gates to Infinity is a little bit higher at Famitsu and higher at Media Create.

Famitsu

2012 CY {2011.12.26 - 2012.12.30} 024. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 337.999 / 337.999
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 139. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 65.970 / 403.969

Media Create

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 019. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 373.699 / 373.699
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 101. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 95.001 / 468.699
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 627. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800) - 4.482 / 473.181

Spiegel

No one should expect another Sony portable. They already exited from the handheld market a few years ago (when VitaTV cratered back in 2013 most likely) and it's all waiting until it dies out by itself with the minimum effort possible from their part.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Because price drop in two weeks.

I expect only a little sales boost after price drop for PS4, probably about the difference between this and next week sales to usual PS4 sales.

I expect around 40,000 PS4 sold during the pricedrop week.
Then, should back to sell 18/20k until new new games release.

After (if) Sony leaves handheld market, do you think there will be a competitor to Nintendo?

I know that handheld market is shrinking and all, but does it not worth the effort to make a new one?

No.

Powwa

After (if) Sony leaves handheld market, do you think there will be a competitor to Nintendo?

I know that handheld market is shrinking and all, but does it not worth the effort to make a new one?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS4 has an artificial price drop for several weeks now with Bloodborne free promotion. Since it didn't collapse in sales last week and it's not a drastic price drop we'll see the new baseline very soon, 2-3 weeks after the initial excitement.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PS4 has an artificial price drop for several weeks now with Bloodborne free promotion. Since it didn't collapse in sales last week and it's not a drastic price drop we'll see the new baseline very soon, 2-3 weeks after the initial excitement.

Do you think it will be higher or lower than the Xbox One baseline?

casiopao

I was wondering what everybody thinks:

Do you perceive the Vita as a failure, speaking strictly about Japan?

Hardwarewise, it has sold around the amount of gamecubes back then. the NGC was the posterchild for failure, but it still has to be proven that WiiU and PS4 will reach that benchmark, so I perceive the vita like "in the middle of the pack".

it also gets a solid flow of releases, so it must be doing something right, right?

not sure what to think,

A huge failure just like how Wii U did? Considering how it is the succesor of PSP, i dont think there are any other word that failure for Vita here.

The software sales number is also not so good on handheld front. There is a reason why Sony won't make another Vita here.

Here is an exclusive look at Sony's prototype next generation portable-

CPx_OvpW8AAH1Y8.jpg:large

Welp. Here it is. Sony killing the Vita with all their power lol.

? Of course there is a competitor for Nintendo here. Everyone remember about MOBILE?^_^

And this time, Nintendo is going to face their biggest nightmare as this time it will be 40-60$ high quality game vs Free to play game. It is totally a different ball park now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

As far as dedicated handhelds go, Nintendo will be the only entrant, with everyone else focusing on mobile.

The market has spoken and even for the king things are not especially healthy.

Vena

Doesn't the Bloodborne promotion end on October 1st?

Vena

It was supposed to last until September and it's obvious now it was a test for the incoming price drop.

Right, which is why I suspect the baseline won't move by much after the renormalization. The reception was there but it also wasn't lighting the world on fire and in the off-weeks was slipping back down to <15k.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Right, which is why I suspect the baseline won't move by much after the renormalization. The reception was there but it also wasn't lighting the world on fire and in the off-weeks was slipping back down to <15k.

I have the same fear as well. I do think this price drop will have a small boost at the beginning but I'm struggling to see the PS4 doing notably better this holiday than it did last year.

Will be interesting to watch.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Is important to mention last year PS4 got the Dragon Quest bundle, and the PS4 sales rise to nearly 70,000 in a week...

I think PS4 will sell way better than last year this November, but in December i don't expect a massive increase.

PS4 should still end the year with 1,250,000, which is not bad.

Kanann

At first, I fear the dominated market by only nintendo handheld

then I realise they must fight with the mighty mobile :p

Vena

I have the same fear as well. I do think this price drop will have a small boost at the beginning but I'm struggling to see the PS4 doing notably better this holiday than it did last year.

Will be interesting to watch.

I don't recall who it was, but one of our regulars, made the mention of how the price drop seems totally pointless in light of the holiday line-up (and that was before the P5 delay).

Price has obviously been an issue but, as Chris mentions, the litmus test on the free Bloodborne wasn't tipping the scales very far (which, still, isn't that surprising as it is a specific title rather than a general 5,000&#65509; drop, which is itself less than the price of Bloodborne, lol), and when the off-weeks hit the slide was apparent.

It did help raise the baseline, though, and the price drop will, no doubt, at least renormalize to 15-18k...

Top Bottom