• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2015 (Sep 14 - Sep 20)

I don't understand why people are trying to say Revelations 2 wasn't as big of a success just because it had an episodic release. So TellTale Games are all a failure just because people can download the first episode and ignore the rest? It won't make any sense.

The story in Revelations 2 ties in nicely to each of the subsequent episodes. Once we end it, we usually get a kickass trailer showing some of the events from the upcoming episode. Unless people really hate the first episode, I don't get this logic of just purchasing one episode when the game was priced really reasonably as well.

FWIW, here is what Capcom said about Revelations 2 in their fiscal report ending March 31st.

And they were happy with the sales as of June 30th.

Now we all know that Remake sold 1 million as of June 30th so Revelations 2 selling 1.4 million in such short amount of time is impressive to me. There is no way a hypothetical Handheld + Console version would have sold more, since it is no 2012 anymore. The popularity of the series also took a nose dive after the release of RE 6.

Also being more inclined towards digital sales offers Capcom a better revenue stream.
Remake must of been a surprise success for Capcom as it seems to have led them to work on RE0 HD and RE2 Remake.

Colombo

12036702_149433112070416_8034579521385896307_n.jpg

As you can see, as for now Wii U is selling way better than in 2013, but since week 44, will be very hard to beat those numbers...

Thanks so much for making the graph. Yeah there is no way it can match 2013 numbers after seeing that! Is there really anything of note coming this year for Wii U that could result in a hardware boost akin to Wii Play U?

Well at least the PS4 will be handsomely ahead YOY, and at the current pace the Wii U will manage to do the same, so maybe a small (tiny?) win for console gaming in 2015 for Japan.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thanks so much for making the graph. Yeah there is no way it can match 2013 numbers after seeing that! Is there really anything of note coming this year for Wii U that could result in a hardware boost akin to Wii Play U?

Well at least the PS4 will be handsomely ahead YOY, and at the current pace the Wii U will manage to do the same, so maybe a small (tiny?) win for console gaming in 2015 for Japan.

There is Animal Crossing and shin megami tensei fire emblem with a bundle...
Also Mario Maker and Splatoon will boost holidays sales.

PS4 has Call of Duty and Star Wars.

Yup, i see both Wii U and PS4 be up YOY by about 20 / 30 %, which is not bad...

I know is just Amazon hourly, but hell Black Ops III bundle is still huge!

Can't way for see PS4 sales in the CoD week. :D
I don't understand how Amazon Japan sales even matter here. There is so much in there that doesn't even make sense, and the sales usually paint a complete opposite picture for these top sellers in Media Create. I'd just consider it a useless metric.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't understand how Amazon Japan sales even matter here. There is so much in there that doesn't even make sense, and the sales usually paint a complete opposite picture for these top sellers in Media Create. I'd just consider it a useless metric.

Me too.

Amazon Japan is nowhere near as useful as Amazon US. And even I don't consider Amazon US totally reliable.

Don't get me started on hourly charts.

I know is just Amazon hourly, but hell Black Ops III bundle is still huge!

Can't way for see PS4 sales in the CoD week. :D

More interesting than Black Ops III, I think, is the case of Fallout 4. It's in the top 3 since almost two weeks (!). The game just entered the Comgnet top 20 also. Between the 3 western AAA (Star Wars, COD, Fallout) maybe it's the Bethesda game that will surprise us, like The Witcher 3.

More interesting than Black Ops III, I think, is the case of Fallout 4. It's in the top 3 since almost two weeks (!). The game just entered the Comgnet top 20 also. Between the 3 western AAA (Star Wars, COD, Fallout) maybe it's the Bethesda game that will surprise us, ala The Witcher 3.

Skyrim already did pretty well back in a day so it wouldn't be that surprising if Fallout 4 does also well. Especially as the market has become more and more friendly to open world western games.

Jigorath

Banned
More interesting than Black Ops III, I think, is the case of Fallout 4. It's in the top 3 since almost two weeks (!). The game just entered the Comgnet top 20 also. Between the 3 western AAA (Star Wars, COD, Fallout) maybe it's the Bethesda game that will surprise us, ala The Witcher 3.

The Witcher 3 sold well. I'm sure Fallout 4 will as well. Japan has been pretty receptive to high profile Western RPGs.

After a quick search, Skyrim did 75,865 on launch week, that was not bad at all indeed.

Right now, what I would bet is : Fallout 4 > Star Wars Battlefront > Black Ops III

sörine

Banned
Skyrim already did pretty well back in a day so it wouldn't be that surprising if Fallout 4 does also well. Especially as the market has become more and more friendly to open world western games.
Oblivion did really well too, over 200k between all versions iirc. I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas each did a bit worse though.

Setting might matter here?

test_account

XP-39C²
After a quick search, Skyrim did 75,865 on launch week, that was not bad at all indeed.

Right now, what I would bet is : Fallout 4 > Star Wars Battlefront > Black Ops III
That was for the PS3 version alone :) The Xbox 360 version did 37.037 (also Media Create number) in the first week, so about 113k in total.

sörine;180027746 said:
Oblivion did really well too, over 200k between all versions iirc. I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas each did a bit worse though.

Setting might matter here?

Setting is probably a factor too. Still though even New Vegas opened with around 65k of sales back in 2010 so while less than Skyrim it's still solid amount. Then when you consider that western RPGs seem to be little more popular each year Fallout 4 could do well. Not to mention that while PS4 itself has sold poorly some western franchises have seen pretty huge boosts to their popularity. For example Batman: Arkham Knight opened around 49k when on PS3 Batman games struggled to reach 10k during opening weeks.

More interesting than Black Ops III, I think, is the case of Fallout 4. It's in the top 3 since almost two weeks (!). The game just entered the Comgnet top 20 also. Between the 3 western AAA (Star Wars, COD, Fallout) maybe it's the Bethesda game that will surprise us, like The Witcher 3.

There is already a great hype here for Star Wars and it's getting hotter and hotter December 18 is approaching
if the game is not bad (EA after all...) I think it will sell very well in the last weeks of December

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Do folks think the PS3 version of COD being gimped would hurt sales in Japan? I kind of think it wouldn't make a difference because the Western games have been doing much better on PS4 than PS3.

Also Wii U vs PS4 hardware from now until the end of the year. Which do people think is going to sell more?

It was 222K for PS4 and 212K for Wii U last year. Hopefully both consoles are up from the numbers last year

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Do folks think the PS3 version of COD being gimped would hurt sales in Japan? I kind of think it wouldn't make a difference because the Western games have been doing much better on PS4 than PS3.

Also Wii U vs PS4 hardware from now until the end of the year. Which do people think is going to sell more?

It was 222K for PS4 and 212K for Wii U last year. Hopefully both consoles are up from the numbers last year

Call of Duty last year did better on PS3 but by a very small margin, this year will do better on PS4, even thougth PS3 version can still hurt sales.
But PS4 has a new bundle.

About Wii U VS PS4, gonna say PS4 but by a small margin, it should win October and November but December is strong for Nintendo.
And yes, i think both will be up YOY.

Kudo

Havent seen the japan sales in a long time, what is making wiiu sell more than ps4?

Sony announced PS4 price drop, I think it's happening in 2 weeks. 8k is actually pretty good even after the announcement, people must really want to play if they can't wait.

Road

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 28 to Oct 25):

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) -
[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu (26 days) -
[ALL] Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 (25 days) -
[ALL] Yoru no Nai Kuni (25 days) -
[3DS] Picross 3D 2 (25 days) -
[3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash (18 days) -
[3DS] 7th Dragon III Code VFD (11 days) -
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (4 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: September 30 2015 09:00 am (EDT)
t1443618000z1.png

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform entries are the combined available sales of each platform described
  • ALL = The sum of all platforms where the game is being released.

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

Yep, I need to post the results for the past three months...

Mory Dunz

Didn't think about that, most likely the case here.

One would think that people would be more knowledgeable about a ~$400 dollar purchase they're about to make, but thinking about it....if they didn't really follow the industry, people could miss it.

Kudo

One would think that people would be more knowledgeable about a ~$400 dollar purchase they're about to make, but thinking about it....if they didn't really follow the industry, people could miss it.

Agreed, parents buying it for their kids etc. and even gamers who don't follow gaming sites. Definitely lots of them as it shows.

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 67k
[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu (26 days) - 54k
[ALL] Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 (25 days) - 98k
[ALL] Yoru no Nai Kuni (25 days) - 115k
[3DS] Picross 3D 2 (25 days) - 60k
[3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash (18 days) - 23k
[3DS] 7th Dragon III Code VFD (11 days) - 85k
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (4 days) - 130k
I tried :p

Also could Fallout 4 do a 100k+ opening this year?

hiska-kun

As far as I know the PS3 version of Call of Duty Black Ops III still doesn't have a release date.
For the moment just the PS4 version will be released.

About Wii U VS PS4, gonna say PS4 but by a small margin, it should win October and November but December is strong for Nintendo.
And yes, i think both will be up YOY.

I agree with this but by how much?
I say wii u 50k up yoy holidays and ps4 100k up yoy in holidays(except dqh bundle week).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
As far as I know the PS3 version of Call of Duty Black Ops III still doesn't have a release date.
For the moment just the PS4 version will be released.

Call of Duty franchise is on decline last years.

Without subtitled edition and without or with late PS3 release the decline will continue stronger.

Yeshua

[PS4] Hardware (28 days) - 100000
[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu (26 days) - 110000
[ALL] Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 (25 days) - 150000
[ALL] Yoru no Nai Kuni (25 days) - 90000
[3DS] Picross 3D 2 (25 days) - 60000
[3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash (18 days) - 50000
[3DS] 7th Dragon III Code VFD (11 days) - 100000
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (4 days) - 70000

Call of Duty franchise is on decline last years.

Without subtitled edition and without or with late PS3 release the decline will continue stronger.

Dunno how it goes in Japan but in west Black Ops III is seeing stronger preorders (according to Gamestop at least) than two previous CODs. Black Ops as a subseries is the most popular COD line. Maybe that will help to lessen the decline in Japan too despite the lack of PS3 version.

hiska-kun

Updated with Media Create Top 30

21./00. [XB1] Forza Motorsport 6 # <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2015.09.17} (¥7.452)
22./00. [PSV] Genji Koi Emaki # <ADV> (QuinRose) {2015.09.17} (¥6.804)
23./12. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937)
24./13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
25./14. [3DS] Famicom Remix Best Choice <Balloon Fight Donkey Kong Donkey Kong Jr. Dr. Mario Excitebike Kid Icarus Kirby's Adventure Mario Bros. Metroid Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 2 Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels The Legend of Zelda Zelda II: The Adventure of Link> <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.08.27} (¥3.996)
26./00. [PSV] Nanairo Reincarnation # <ADV> (Silky`s) {2015.09.17} (¥7.344)
27./22. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
28./21. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776)
29./00. [PSV] Tokyo Onmyouji: Tengen Jibashi - Rei no Baai - V Edition <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2015.09.17} (¥7.452)
30./19. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate [1/1][Best Price!] <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.07.30} (¥3.769)

Top 30

3DS - 11
PSV - 9
PS4 - 3
WIU - 4
PS3 - 2
XB1 - 1

___

I guess Forza 6 sold ~4k (it seems so also according to Dengeki).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 40, 2015 (Sep 28 - Oct 4)

[PSV] Tokyo Xanadu < 90k (average 70k)
[PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 < 60k (average 45k)
[PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 < 60k (average 45k)
[PS3+PS4]Arslan: The Warriors of Legend < 50k (average 35k)

Top Bottom