• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About PlayStation VR: List of Upcoming Titles

Ravage

I just tried London Heist on PSVR. I am thoroughly mindblown

Wow at the demo, the PS move works really well, and i was able to interactive with many things in the game.

While inside the car, i was able to grab and toss the drink can, turn the radio dial, the air condition switch etc. I even tried grabbing the car door handle and was able to open it. But i closed it almost as soon as i open it as i didn't want to try anything funny. When the action starts i grab the gun, open the glove compartment, and start playing.

Firing the gun and reloading is pretty easy. I gunned down several people on bikes and vehicles and i also tried firing at the wheels to put them down.

I'll put up some photos soon

Lucky you, I was assigned to The Deep instead of London Heist ;_;

Regardless, i'm very impressed by the hardware and how the whole thing just works perfectly. The entire experience is pretty damn amazing and I was only taken out of immersion when I looked down and couldn't see my legs.

Equally important is the fact that I was able to remain comfortable throughout the entire demo. I didn't experience any motion sickness and the headset was comfortable to wear even with my specs in the way.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The visual is pretty good, and the framerate is very consistence. If there's any slowdown I don't think I have notice them at all.

I'm worried about the PSVR using the move controllers. It is my understanding that lithium batteries don't do well if they have completely drained. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has a move controller hasn't charged it in quite a while and has let them sit in the drained state. So my big worry is will the batteries still work after all this time? Has anybody tried using an old Move or PS3 controller after it has been sitting around for years?

I'm worried about the PSVR using the move controllers. It is my understanding that lithium batteries don't do well if they have completely drained. I'm pretty sure that everyone who has a move controller hasn't charged it in quite a while and has let them sit in the drained state. So my big worry is will the batteries still work after all this time? Has anybody tried using an old Move or PS3 controller after it has been sitting around for years?

Mine's fine. It charges ok and appears to hold its charge.

Yeah I've got 3 that I dug out to play Johan Sebastian joust on the PS4 - charged up and worked fine, dunno how long they'll hold charge tho. As a side note, the DS4 is way more sensitive to movement, anyone using is would lose against a move control on that game.

Planet

I never let mine (2 motion, 1 navigation) go too long without a charge. Maybe a year went by once or twice. Their batteries work still fine.

It's not that I didn't use them back then, but I feel a bit excited they finally get to show their A game. Looks like Dreams come true. ;)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I will have another opportunity to try Playstation VR again on Dec 16. Hope I can make it that day though, as I might have something else too.

Not sure at this moment what title(s) I will get to see though.

kyser73

I have seen what 90fps will look like on the PSVR.

Starfox on the WiiU, but with higher res, better materials & lighting.

I think that's a fair bet.

mechphree

No Man's sky just HAS to take advtange of PSVR. I understand it hasn't been officially announced but it just makes so much sense you know Sony is working on it.

No Man's sky just HAS to take advtange of PSVR. I understand it hasn't been officially announced but it just makes so much sense you know Sony is working on it.

It's probably not that easy. They'd have to redesign the interface, movement system, and HUD for VR. Even how you currently enter your ship would give you motion sickness in VR. They'd have to program some sort of teleportation system for that.

Just patching VR into a game hardly ever works well.

mitchman

Gold Member
There is no conceivable way NMS won't have support for PSVR with it's June release. It's a perfect launch game, Sony would be throwing money at Hello to get it for PSVR, which I'm sure they are.

There is no conceivable way NMS won't have support for PSVR with it's June release. It's a perfect launch game, Sony would be throwing money at Hello to get it for PSVR, which I'm sure they are.

But when they are struggling to get the game running in its current form for normal users i think asking them for VR support is too much.
Maybe if Sony send in a team of engineers to help out then.. maybe.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's probably not that easy. They'd have to redesign the interface, movement system, and HUD for VR. Even how you currently enter your ship would give you motion sickness in VR. They'd have to program some sort of teleportation system for that.

Just patching VR into a game hardly ever works well.

I'm prepared to wait for a good redesign. It will be worth it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I have seen what 90fps will look like on the PSVR.

Starfox on the WiiU, but with higher res, better materials & lighting.

I think that's a fair bet.

Wayward Sky is one example, seems to be targeting 90fps now for PSVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILaQu1ks128

I'm sure there'll be more. I guess there are some games that can't reach 120fps that locked down to 60fps, but that can reach 90fps now that it's an option.

kyser73

Wayward Sky is one example, seems to be targeting 90fps now for PSVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILaQu1ks128

I'm sure there'll be more. I guess there are some games that can't reach 120fps that locked down to 60fps, but that can reach 90fps now that it's an option.

That's pretty impressive stuff. Not much movement but a lot of physics in there.

Has anyone seen any more screen grabs of the Futuridium sequel by Mixedbag? They're working on a 120fps native title that looked great - relatively low poly models but really lovely lighting & materials.

Planet

Has anyone seen any more screen grabs of the Futuridium sequel by Mixedbag? They're working on a 120fps native title that looked great - relatively low poly models but really lovely lighting & materials.
Not only that, they are going to utilize Reprojection on top of 120 native frames! Not much budget for rendering, though, but it didn't need that on non-VR release anyway.

Should be worth a look for the smoothness of head movements alone. Will probably still not like the game itself though.

Skyrise

Here we are, with a couple of new screenshots from the sequel (project title Futuridium VR, but it could change in the future). :)
Please keep in mind that this is super work in progress and the screenshots are at 1080p grabbed from the PC editor: what you see in PSVR looks different, better and smoother.

1.png

Cattura3.PNG

FutuVR_studio_mauro.png

The sequel is a totally different game than the original Futuridium (120fps + repro PSVR edition still coming at launch!).
We're currently targeting 90fps + repro for the sequel, there's a lot of stuff going on and a ton of effects, so going full 120fps + repro like the original Futuridium could be hard.
But who knows, we're learning a lot of tricks and tools and our code is constantly improving. ;)

Here we are, with a couple of new screenshots from the sequel (project title Futuridium VR, but it could change in the future). :)
Please keep in mind that this is super work in progress and the screenshots are at 1080p grabbed from the PC editor: what you see in PSVR looks different, better and smoother.

1.png

Cattura3.PNG

FutuVR_studio_mauro.png

The sequel is a totally different game than the original Futuridium (120fps + repro PSVR edition still coming at launch!).
We're currently targeting 90fps + repro for the sequel, there's a lot of stuff going on and a ton of effects, so going full 120fps + repro like the original Futuridium could be hard.
But who knows, we're learning a lot of tricks and tools and our code is constantly improving. ;)
I just drooled all over my iPad. Looks great! Would you say it plays a little like Star Fox?

DieH@rd

Banned
2 more games have been announced to be PSVR compatibile [both playable on PSX showfloor]

Distance
23113723929_e199bc34f2_z.jpg

more @ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/04/distance-brings-survival-racing-to-playstation-vr/

normal "flat TV" gameplay
http://fat.gfycat.com/ImaginativeRadiantFoxterrier.webm

VR gameplay
http://fat.gfycat.com/CheeryMammothHalibut.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/FortunateBelatedCrane.webm

Virtual reality amplifies this by adding another dimension. You can now race through these chaotic tracks from the seat of the driver. PlayStation VR gives you an amazing sense of scale as you’re able to look into turns or glance over at other players in multiplayer. Once we started prototyping VR gameplay in Distance it was undeniable that getting a true feel for the jumps, flips, and flying is exhilarating.

From a story-telling aspect, VR is thrilling since we can explore the game from the perspective of the driver, and who (or what) that is. We’ve redesigned our UI to work with a cockpit dash, and we added an “upside-down” moonroof to help when landing. Getting sliced by a laser is also (not surprisingly) even more exciting.

Eclipse
23483319825_1b67eb7d6b_b.jpg

more @ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/04/explore-a-mysterious-world-in-eclipse-on-playstation-vr/

[VR only, Made by ex Lead Level Designer from Santa Monica Studios]

23483319985_7365eaa434oupa.jpg

23374810612_d9d69f18fe4ug8.jpg

22856169773_0382c8b23j2u9b.jpg

Eclipse is a first-person exploration game set on a sentient planet with a dark past. At its core is a mysterious story of a world filled with discovery and wonder. You awake after crash-landing to find yourself in a dreamscape environment, littered with the remnants of a failed civilization.

Designed for VR, you play the game from inside a space suit that is equipped with advanced technologies. It allows you to survive the planet’s harsh landscapes and discover its past.

Early in the adventure you find a supernatural relic, the Artifact. A fusion of biology and technology, this device allows you to control elements of the natural world and interact with the ancient technology.

edit - also third one, old DK1 tech demo remade into full game

Classroom Aquatic :D
22853124843_4ca87a8cb3_b.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...ings-cheating-and-dolphins-to-playstation-vr/

DieH@rd

Banned
Confirmed playable PSVR games on PSX [there might be more]

Battlezone (Rebellion)
Driveclub VR (SCE Evolution Studio)
EVE: Valkyrie (CCP)
GNOG (KO-OP Mode)
Harmonix Music VR (Harmonix)
Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
London Heist: Interrogation (SCE London Studio)
London Heist: The Getaway (SCE London Studio)
Megaton Rainfall (Pentadimensional)
Playroom VR (SCE Japan Studio)
Project Kitchen (Capcom)
RIGS Mechanized Combat League (Guerilla Cambridge)
Rush of Blood (SCE Liverpool XDEV Studio)
Super Hypercube (Kokoromi)
Wayward Sky (Uber Entertainment)
World War Toons (Reload Studios)

I am very interested to find out more about Wayward Sky.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The more I see the developments in this thread the more I think I'm just going to wait to get this rather then Oculus.

I know with PSVR there will be minimal set up issues and that it will 'just work'. I'm not that convinced on the PC side that will be the case.

DieH@rd

Banned
New games announced for PSVR on PSX 2015:

- Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin
- REZ Infinite
- Eagle Flight [Ubisoft]
- The Modern Zombie Taxi Company
- Job Simulator
- Golem
- 100ft Robot Golf [PSVR as added mode]
- Ace Combat 7 [PSVR as added mode]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
New games announced for PSVR on PSX 2015:

- Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin
- REZ Infinite
- Eagle Flight [Ubisoft]
- The Modern Zombie Taxi Company
- Job Simulator
- Golem
- 100ft Robot Golf [PSVR as added mode]
- Ace Combat 7 [PSVR as added mode]
VR is going or be awesome.

DieH@rd

Banned
Two interesting reddit posts from user yantraVR who is member of dev team Innervison Games who made early Oculus game Ethereon [adventure game]:

yantraVR: "PSVR is extremely close to being on par with Vive and the Rift w/ a gtx970 based on the tests I've done. The team from Epic (Nick & Tom) have also stated the same in at least one of their VR Twitch streams. If your app runs at 90Hz on a PC with a gtx970 then you should be very close to 60 on the ps4. And with the 120Hz reprojection applied it's glassy smooth."

penprog: "Do you know how they do it? They have to sacrifice something."

yantraVR: "Yes, I do! In brief, the PSVR only requires about 1/4th of the render target size that the Vive requires. This has a lot to do with the display they are using that can run a 60Hz game at 120Hz (in addition to the 90Hz mode). So comparing the PSVR at 60Hz>120Hz to the Vive at 90Hz:

Vive = 457 million pixels/sec (1512x1680x2x90)
PSVR = ~100 million (1920x1080x60 - ~20%*)

*The ~20% is accounting for some additional (classified) techniques that further reduce the render target size.

There are other things to consider as well, if you want to go further. For example, the PS4 has hardly any driver overhead compared to Windows so it's a fully dedicated gaming system that can focus purely on performance. For example, the draw calls on the PS4 are faster than with dx11 which is something that a lot of people don't realize.

They have also started beefing up their small conversion box unit with processing power to help do some heavy lifting."

http://vrfocus.com/archives/26207/y...close-to-being-on-par-with-vive-and-the-rift/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3vnce8/51_titles_announced_for_playstation_vr_for_now/

Here is one of talks from Epic games about porting Showdown VR demo to Morpheus [there was another one where they talked more in-depth about it]:
http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/7616153?t=21m52s

Also, Vive does not have 1512x1680-per-eye screens, but it seems that it requrires devs to hit that render target.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=183100265#post183100265

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Those classified techniques sound like some secret sauce.

I'm glad that developer support is in at least, lots of interesting games.

I'm not clear on whether they actually showed this stuff at the show, but I found some more info on what Eagle Flight may be like.

In the tech demo, the game has players inhabiting the bodies of eagles, flying through about a massive city. The player’s head is used to control the direction of the bird while a controller is used for speeding up and slowing down. The early version we saw featured surprisingly compelling capture the flag gameplay where players would snatch the flag and try to race to capture it before being intercepted by another player. Players can fly down into the streets of the city, under bridges, and through gaps in an effort to lose their opponents in some rather exhilarating chases.
Apparently the tech demo was set in the AC world, but as the trailer hints, the final game won't be. What I'm not clear on what else has changed from the demo apart from the setting, since it sounds like only the trailer was shown at the show. Anyway, the demo sounds like it'd be fun, at least. lol

Two interesting reddit posts from user yantraVR who is member of dev team Innervison Games who made early Oculus game Ethereon [adventure game]:

yantraVR: "PSVR is extremely close to being on par with Vive and the Rift w/ a gtx970 based on the tests I've done. The team from Epic (Nick & Tom) have also stated the same in at least one of their VR Twitch streams. If your app runs at 90Hz on a PC with a gtx970 then you should be very close to 60 on the ps4. And with the 120Hz reprojection applied it's glassy smooth."

penprog: "Do you know how they do it? They have to sacrifice something."

yantraVR: "Yes, I do! In brief, the PSVR only requires about 1/4th of the render target size that the Vive requires. This has a lot to do with the display they are using that can run a 60Hz game at 120Hz (in addition to the 90Hz mode). So comparing the PSVR at 60Hz>120Hz to the Vive at 90Hz:

Vive = 457 million pixels/sec (1512x1680x2x90)
PSVR = ~100 million (1920x1080x60 - ~20%*)

*The ~20% is accounting for some additional (classified) techniques that further reduce the render target size.

There are other things to consider as well, if you want to go further. For example, the PS4 has hardly any driver overhead compared to Windows so it's a fully dedicated gaming system that can focus purely on performance. For example, the draw calls on the PS4 are faster than with dx11 which is something that a lot of people don't realize.

They have also started beefing up their small conversion box unit with processing power to help do some heavy lifting."

http://vrfocus.com/archives/26207/y...close-to-being-on-par-with-vive-and-the-rift/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3vnce8/51_titles_announced_for_playstation_vr_for_now/

Here is one of talks from Epic games about porting Showdown VR demo to Morpheus [there was another one where they talked more in-depth about it]:
http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/7616153?t=21m52s

Also, Vive does not have 1512x1680-per-eye screens, but it seems that it requrires devs to hit that render target.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=183100265#post183100265
Classified rendering techniques, eh? Interesting.

kyser73

1.png

Cattura3.PNG

FutuVR_studio_mauro.png

Bellissimo!

Eclipse looks good too , although as with other non-enclosed VR games I'm interested in how they manage traversal.

Dunno if anyone from Ubi is watching, but it'd be cool if you could play Eagle Flight as different kinds of birds with different speeds and maneuverability. Snatching fish out of a river or mice from a field would be sweet too.

DieH@rd

Banned
Brad from Giant Bomb has talked on the last Bombcast about his playtrough of 2 demos of Golem.

Most important notes:
- He was blown away by the visuals PS4 is rendering [game is UE4 PSVR exclusive]
- He was happy that entire game is played from sitting position, same position as disabled kid that is controlling the golems [which can be from doll sized to large giants].
- This was the first VR game where he experienced great FPS controls that were non-teleport based. User simply nods his head forwards and backwards to walk [or slightly shift entire upped body forwards/back], and tilts head to strafe! He sad that after few moments of practice, he managed to circle strafe around a object without an issue.

panda-zebra

Banned
Brad from Giant Bomb has talked on the last Bombcast about his playtrough of 2 demos of Golem.

Most important notes:
- He was blown away by the visuals PS4 is rendering [game is UE4 PSVR exclusive]
- He was happy that entire game is played from sitting position, same position as disabled kid that is controlling the golems [which can be from doll sized to large giants].
- This was the first VR game where he experienced great FPS controls that were non-teleport based. User simply nods his head forwards and backwards to walk [or slightly shift entire upped body forwards/back], and tilts head to strafe! He sad that after few moments of practice, he managed to circle strafe around a object without an issue.

Love the info you gather and deposit in this thread. Thank you.

Shoeless

I just hope they stick the landing and manage to announce this at a decent price point that won't immediately relegate PSVR to "enthusiasts only." If VR is going to gain traction, it needs mainstream acceptance and affordability is a key factor in that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just hope they stick the landing and manage to announce this at a decent price point that won't immediately relegate PSVR to "enthusiasts only." If VR is going to gain traction, it needs mainstream acceptance and affordability is a key factor in that.

SERIOUSLY! Please be $299 or less!

Top Bottom