• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

Synless

Remember to check your peripheral vision for blurriness, I have a strong feeling that most games will be ditching this, I believe it's called foveated rendering. Batman did this, the center of the screen will be clear but the edges of the screen will be blurred
Wait, that is a graphic performance feature? I thought it was something to do with the lenses inside the helmet. That's amazing if that was just a graphics update that will be disappearing.

Ozorov

Just tried Driveclub... I'm not 100% that there's much of a difference :-/ Maybe a few little atmospheric touches, but nothing mind-blowing. I'll have a video up shortly
Rusty have said they didnt have much time to work with the Pro. Or something in the lines like that.

Saberus

That was my thought, but apparently Rushy tweeted that the patch was pre-baked into the game. I can't find the tweet though, so I'll hold off on the vid.

I saw his tweet, it's in the game already and he said previously that it's not using all the pro power so I would expect little better resolution

Wait, that is a graphic performance feature? I thought it was something to do with the lenses inside the helmet. That's amazing if that was just a graphics update that will be disappearing.

I think the PS4pro has built in tech that discards polygon once it disappears from your line of sight so it's able to push more polygons/concentrate its processing+graphical grunt on what's visibilty.

Caayn

Just tried Driveclub... I'm not 100% that there's much of a difference :-/ Maybe a few little atmospheric touches, but nothing mind-blowing. I'll have a video up shortly
That's disappointing if that's indeed true. I had hoped that at least the center of your vision would become sharper.

Fisty

I think the PS4pro has built in tech that discards polygon once it disappears from your line of sight so it's able to push more polygons/concentrate its processing+graphical grunt on what's visibilty.

Nah that's something else, this is just when rendering a VR game, PS4 can render the center of the image at a much higher resolution and the outside edges of your peripheral view will be rendered at a much lower resolution to reduce load. You can notice this in lots of games by looking at things without moving your head.

From screenshots, it looks like Batman had this technique switched off with Pro, and the edges were blurry in the PS4 shot but the entire image was clear in the Pro shot.

Nah that's something else, this is just when rendering a VR game, PS4 can render the center of the image at a much higher resolution and the outside edges of your peripheral view will be rendered at a much lower resolution to reduce load. You can notice this in lots of games by looking at things without moving your head.

From screenshots, it looks like Batman had this technique switched off with Pro, and the edges were blurry in the PS4 shot but the entire image was clear in the Pro shot.

"its for 4k+PSVr upgrade. No one's done a post for it but the spatial 3D stuff in there was

"New ID buffer for tracking triangles and objects, opening the door to advanced spatial and temporal anti-aliasing

Primitive discard accelerator culls triangles from the scene that aren't visible"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220925140&postcount=8
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

simtmb

If only we could see how RE7 running on the Pro would look in the headset, as the Kitchen demo was the roughest game I've played on it (OG PS4) thus far.

Plasma

Banned
I hope that's a temporary lighting condition in the moving car in London Heist because the lighting in the original is better. Of course Pro trumps on everything else. Again that's either because of a temporary lighting condition or "let's add more lights on PS4 just because we can", ruining the lighting. But I hope it's the former case.

It's in both version that light turns on and off by pressing a button in the car.

Saberus

A bit disappointed that the improvements to DCVR on the Pro aren't very substantial. Oh well, at least RIGS has major improvements. I wonder when Eve Valkyrie will be getting a PS4 Pro update. It's definitely one game that could do with less jaggies and a resolution bump.

Rubik8

I thought it did in some places, but then other places it looks the same if not worse :-/

Anyway, this is the article that prompted me to post the video: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ople-underestimating-ps4-pro-actually-seeing/

Seems as though they've admitted they've not taken advantage fully of the Pro, but "minor visual upgrades" are on the table for it

I wish the comparison had been on the track from the demo. It's the only level I've played. I liked the demo but I was waiting to see the Pro effect before buying. Not sure now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hmn, yeah... Is that what it looks like in the visor? Damn.. but i guess it's much more immersive.
There is a difference but not that significant.

To be fair its not quite as noticeable as the spatial awareness of being in that car cockpit in VR kind of overrides the roadside detail, certainly at first. It's pretty uncanny and unlike anything experienced in a driving game before(outside of PC supported ones I guess), but yes the overall visual fidelity takes a massive hit compared to standard Driveclub. Also, I barely can handle the game as I get nauseous after a single race...:( But despite, you really do feel like you are actually sitting in a car driving around these tracks moreso than any other driving game on a TV before it.

Wollan

Tethered received a PS4 Pro patch today!
http://www.secretsorcery.com/tethered-game-update-1_02/

Here’s a quick summary of what’s included:
  • Tethered looks even better on PlayStation®4 Pro!
  • Although they still rely on your guidance, the Peeps are now a tiny bit smarter when navigating from A to B.
  • Creature behaviour is improved and they no longer have perfect teeth.
  • There’s been a change in the weather… Occasionally mischievous clouds have been fixed.
  • We’ve added quit confirmation, as accidentally abandoning your Peeps after 5 days of nurturing can lead to despair.
  • With players enjoying hours immersed in our divine VR creation, we’ve made the game pause when the controller battery runs out to ensure that as a Spirit Guardian, you’re always in control.
  • The Tethered Live Area now has a background.

Fwiw, VEV doesn't have strict Pro improvements in place - we hit all our metrics (90 fps and 90 hz physics, native 1080p) without any drops or stutter on the base PS4 unit.

Still, testing on a Pro in VR does seem to lead to minor visual improvements in some of our lighting and shadow elements, and texture LOD and filtering--although I've spent so long with the code it's probably easier for me to see than anyone else. It's minor, but it was a welcome surprise.

Oh. Also loading is a bit smoother even in base mode.

So is that all automatic or do these kinds of improvements, however slight, require a patch? If the former, that would explain why people are reporting reduced blur in games that haven't been patched like Batman.

Tried Driveclub... no difference unless you have Eagle vision and tried Bound... Wow! Bound looks evenmire gobsmacking now. Just beautiful... on with the rest.

Gimme the Tethered impressions! :)

My PS4 didn't find the 1.02-patch :eek:

No patch here (EU) :/
Tried Playroom ( brighter and increased sharpness) Battlezone ( cockpit looks better ... environments quite the same ) PSVR Worlds ( especially the Heist getaway scene looks better ).

Onto Rigs and RoB :)

HAS ROB definitely been patched? I know it's meant to have been but still. Currently restoring my Pro so I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to try anything

SHarris78

On my old PS4 pressing the off button on the VR headset lead used to turn the light on its little box red and I could continue to play on the TV, now it stays white - and if I hold down the off button it goes red but the picture leaves the TV. What's changed?

Does this mean I have to leave the VR box on every time I want to use the Pro?

Nydus

On my old PS4 pressing the off button on the VR headset lead used to turn the light on its little box red and I could continue to play on the TV, now it stays white - and if I hold down the off button it goes red but the picture leaves the TV. What's changed?

Does this mean I have to leave the VR box on every time I want to use the Pro?

Well thats how it worked for me in the original ps4 since launch lol

Maligna

Banned
So is the consensus that the Pro can greatly enhance VR games if devs choose to take advantage? Because I may have to get one then...

But I'm wondering, what are the chances that most VR devs don't bother with a pro mode going forward? I don't want to buy a pro mainly for VR and then have it not get the benefits of it after a few months.

Hellers

So is the consensus that the Pro can greatly enhance VR games if devs choose to take advantage? Because I may have to get one then...

But I'm wondering, what are the chances that most VR devs don't bother with a pro mode going forward? I don't want to buy a pro mainly for VR and then have it not get the benefits of it after a few months.

Going forward they have to support Pro. Just like non-VR games have to support it.

SHarris78

People have been saying how clean the Playroom VR platformer looks using the Pro but there's no update available for it? Was it included in the game download?

Wollan

Twitter butching my PS4 share video but you should make out some of the improved cockpit shadowing in Battlezone : Best PSVR game™ . Overall the game is noticeably sharper with maybe a placebo effect of FOV improvement.

Video tweet

Maligna

Banned
Sooo... If one wanted to trade in their PS4 to GameStop, what steps should be taken to make sure no one can get a hold of my PSN details etc?

Likewise, kinda off topic but I'm wondering the same about the 3DS.

What is the process for both?

Oh well, maybe tomorrow then :)

Guess so :)

Driveclub VR's improvement on PS4 Pro is disappointing. Is there even any improvement?

I did not notice any. Game is fun but worst looking PSVR game imo. Bound has the best IQ imo.
Patch says 1.01. Real patch might not even be live. If Paul from Evo said the patch was small... it cannot be this because this is needles in a haystack

Can anyone with a Pro and PSVR confirm if the games on the demo disc is Pro-enhanced or not?

Just tested, no patch.

Ozorov

Guess so :)

I did not notice any. Game is fun but worst looking PSVR game imo. Bound has the best IQ imo.
Patch says 1.01. Real patch might not even be live. If Paul from Evo said the patch was small... it cannot be this because this is needles in a haystack

Just tested, no patch.
Okey thanks! Good to know :)

Top Bottom