• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

Soi-Fong

Aww man...I really didn't need to see this. I was hoping it wouldn't be that big of a difference but now I think I need a Pro

I'll have to see this for myself, but I know for a fact that left screenshot is pretty accurate to how London Heist is on the current PS4.

It's by no mean's bad, but if the PS4 Pro really does improve IQ that much, then that's a pretty big deal.

Fliesen

Arkham VR had jittery PS Move detection (while i.e TumbleVR has perfect PS Move detection). I wonder if that fixed it. Was probably lacking smoothing and just used raw input.

i wouldn't call TumbleVR's move detection perfect.

It's maybe a bit less jittery, but also far more 'restrictive' imho. You go out-of-bounds super fast.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Wollan said:
I wonder if that fixed it. Was probably lacking smoothing and just used raw input.
Amount of jittering is proportional to the amount of predicted latency in the application - if you had something that sampled hands at near-0 latency relative to the rendered frame, jitter comes pretty much entirely down to your actual hand shaking - which is arguably - still something you could filter/smooth over, but generally shouldn't be needed.

kinggroin

Banned
That's all there is to it really. There's a software bug on PS4 OS level, where if you use PSVR for a while (few hours is all it takes, if that) the tracking error accumulates. You can either play one game continuously, or play a number of games, it doesn't matter, the bug is really on the OS level, and the only solution is to power cycle the PS4. Going in and out of standby mode doesn't fix the issue - you have to power off then on. For me, the games went from seizure-inducing to practically perfectly stable after power cycling, but you have to do it after almost every game session.

It was a revelation to me when someone here pointed it out. I thought that my headset was busted after it worked fine the first day.

I mean it's an embarrassing issue for Sony TBH, and incredible that it was launched with such a "beta release" bug, and still not fixed. They should at the very least acknowledge the issue and let people know what to do to fix it.

I have tracking issues the moment I start. From a cold boot. The whole world will start wobbling like it's on a teeter totter. If my move controllers pass by my face, forget it, barf city.

Seated games, played from three feet away, are acceptable (not using move though)

LiK

I have tracking issues the moment I start. From a cold boot. The whole world will start wobbling like it's on a teeter totter. If my move controllers pass by my face, forget it, barf city.

Seated games, played from three feet away, are acceptable (not using move though)

Tried checking if there are mirrors or reflections behind you causing it? They can fuck with the light sensors.

StaSeb

You forgot to put up Robinson: The Journey as well on that list.

I talked to one of the devs recently and he told me that the pro-version will not use a reduced resolution on the outer rim of the display. PS4normal uses that to achieve the 60fps.

They also add a nice AA-solution, so the game should look a lot cleaner. Textures and models stay the same afaik.

Look. I've already laid out nearly £600 with PSVR, camera and games. Don't give me the justification to lay down another £200 with trading in my PS4.

Do you want me to be homeless?

54nzN3G.gif

TNH853

just played the trackmania turbo vr mode. it´s strange but fun. the image quality is very good for a vr game ( i am uploading a video right now, sadly the video will only be in 720p30). the big disappointment is that you only can play the vr tracks, no community maps no multiplayer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

IMO you should replace your unit. That's definitely not normal.

winstano

Looking to get some VR videos done tonight or tomorrow - The difference is really impressive. I couldn't believe the quality increase with Rez and Battlezone.

Fisty

Looking to get some VR videos done tonight or tomorrow - The difference is really impressive. I couldn't believe the quality increase with Rez and Battlezone.

Much less smear on explosions in Area X I assume? I think that was probably the only real issue I had with it

Jashobeam

Area X was quite a blurry mess for me, still a great experience regardless. I can't wait to dive back in with PS PRO lenses on.

Ammogeddon

Where did that London Heist image come from? It looks like a huge improvement.

I think it was posted by a German website over the weekend. Most of their images were not very good and difficult to tell which were better. Fellow gaffer Ckohler trimmed/zoomed the image in to show the improvements better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've tried 3 different PSVR units (mine plus 2 friends) and I'd say that's pretty normal.
I would almost bet the problem would go away or diminish significantly after the power cycle. I assure you that noticeable world wobble from cold boot is not normal, and power cycling after playing for even 2-3 hours makes tremendous difference.

Power cycle? So like powering off/powering on instead of rest mode? Or do I have to unplug the power cord?
Power off from the menu, then power on using the controller.

Haines

Banned
I have to question if that hiest picture is actually what you see in headset or people see on tv

I hope the improvement is that big, but looking in the headset is very different than these stills

Afrikan

just played the trackmania turbo vr mode. it´s strange but fun. the image quality is very good for a vr game ( i am uploading a video right now, sadly the video will only be in 720p30). the big disappointment is that you only can play the vr tracks, no community maps no multiplayer.

I've been holding out this past week until i got my Pro.... it's hard not playing Robinson or Trackmainia...when it's right there for me. Just 2 more days. >_<

So how is Batman VR is improved with the Pro when it hasn't received a specific Pro patch?

If you haven't heard, apparently the peripheral area isn't as blurry with Pro.

Ozorov

So PSVR-games with Day 1-patch that we have no information (patch notes) about so far (IIRC);

Driveclub VR
Hustle Kings
PlayStation VR Worlds
RIGS Mechanized Combat League - Patch live* (Se post below)
Super Stardust Ultra
The Playroom VR
Thumper
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

winstano

RIGS patch is live I've got a video coming tomorrow of that. It felt and looked quite a bit smoother with the Pro. Gonna edit the vid together as much as I can before bed, then more tomorrow

I don't have a plan to pick up a Pro anytime soon, but I really wish I could test out the difference in VR. If the upgrade to VR games is significant enough that could definitely sway me to get one sooner rather than later.

winstano

Got any patch notes?

Version 1.04 - Following features are added:

- Support for PlayStation 4 Pro
- Updated Overdrive mechanic
- Deployment protection mechanic
- Commentary updates
- General bug fixes

Went from Pro to regular, immediately noticed the difference. I'm hoping it shows up well enough on the video!

Ozorov

Version 1.04 - Following features are added:

- Support for PlayStation 4 Pro
- Updated Overdrive mechanic
- Deployment protection mechanic
- Commentary updates
- General bug fixes

Went from Pro to regular, immediately noticed the difference. I'm hoping it shows up well enough on the video!
Cool thanks!

Top Bottom