• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Apparently from some reddit searching it potentially appears that this movie had pretty much nothing to do with Cloverfield, was picked up again and some scenes reshot to somehow turn this low budget film into a "Cloverfield esque" movie. Based on the poster saying "Monsters come in many forms," I kind of suspect this is much more of a thriller and probably won't really be a monster movie at all in the "kaiju" sense.

Nonetheless, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I did enjoy the first one

Gonna need a source yo

overcast

Yeah I think this is just a brilliant marketing ploy by Paramount. Don't see this being a giant monster movie.

Not necessarily a problem if it's a well done thriller connected to the lore. They did a fantastic job selling the secrecy here.

Gonna need a source yo

It's been broken down at least twice in this this thread already. Playing telephone through reddit and then summarizing said game of telephone will likely lead to shortcutting of relevant details and painting a semi-accurate picture that ends up getting skewed depending on how the person relaying the information wants to spin it.

(which I am now about to do, after linking this post, which puts together a timeline of sorts)

But basically: The Cellar was a screenplay that had nothing to do with Cloverfield. It got put into production by Bad Robot and was renamed Valencia. Early in production Bad Robot decided it should be tied into Cloverfield somehow. How that's happened, and what that did to the Valencia script along the way is still unknown, more or less.

There's been reports of people who saw a test screening saying it's not at all monster-movie-ish, but considering nobody knew at any point in the last two years that Valencia had been turned into something Cloverfield related, it's hard to say for certain whether the test-screening was actually a full version of what we're getting in two months. It seems unlikely there's going to be a lot of monster-stomping action as of now.

Basically, nobody really knows what's up, and the people who should know what's up can't really tell us shit because this film snuck up on them just as cleanly as it snuck up on us.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I gotta say. I hate Cloverfield, but I am all in on this. Looks great.

Nice tight little character based thriller? More of those thanks.

It's been broken down at least twice in this this thread already. Playing telephone through reddit and then summarizing said game of telephone will likely lead to shortcutting of relevant details and painting a semi-accurate picture that ends up getting skewed depending on how the person relaying the information wants to spin it.

(which I am now about to do, after linking this post, which puts together a timeline of sorts)

But basically: The Cellar was a screenplay that had nothing to do with Cloverfield. It got put into production by Bad Robot and was renamed Valencia. Early in production Bad Robot decided it should be tied into Cloverfield somehow. How that's happened, and what that did to the Valencia script along the way is still unknown, more or less.

There's been reports of people who saw a test screening saying it's not at all monster-movie-ish, but considering nobody knew at any point in the last two years that Valencia had been turned into something Cloverfield related, it's hard to say for certain whether the test-screening was actually a full version of what we're getting in two months. It seems unlikely there's going to be a lot of monster-stomping action as of now.

Basically, nobody really knows what's up, and the people who should know what's up can't really tell us shit because this film snuck up on them just as cleanly as it snuck up on us.

Keep fighting the good fight Bobby, don't let anybody get you down until the full final film is out. Which luckily isn't far at all.

What if like, the super 8 alien sent the monster in cloverfield as revenge?

And this is actually the third movie in a trilogy and there is going to be an alien invasion by the species of the alien in super 8.

John Goodman is the little kid from super 8 :-o

^_^

What a twist it would be!!!

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Is anyone else slightly disappointed this is not going to be found footage? I hate the genre but somehow loved Cloverfield. It really added to the sense of scale.

Replicant

There's no reason to screen on IMAX according to your thought process? Lol

Don't be dense.

Do you think audiences will go to IMAX to watch "Misery"? No. It's a great film but there's no Spectacle associated with seeing it on IMAX. Something filed with CGI like "Life of Pie" I can understand. But not "Misery".

"Misery" with some kind of spectacle in the 2nd or 3rd half of the movie, OTOH, can tempt audiences to pay extra to see it in IMAX. The fact that IMAX, whose marketing has been about showing films that are larger than life willing to associate their name to this film says that they know it is relevant to their image.

Also IMAX. unlike other cinemas, have limited amount of screen times. They can't just shove every movie into their theatre, which again determines the kind of film they pick to screen on their theatres.

Bluth54

Yeah I think this is just a brilliant marketing ploy by Paramount. Don't see this being a giant monster movie.

I don't know, at one point in the trailer the bunker shakes like there was a giant footstep nearby. I suppose that could be something else like bombs though.

Ashhong

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here too.

I'm already having a blast discussing the movie and thinking of what it could be about. I am however also expecting an awesome movie.

This and then Superman a week later and then Daredevil the next week is going to be an amazing March.

I really didn't like the original, but this looks interesting at least. It already has a group of actors infinitely more likeable than the first film.

Erv

I have been wondering how much of the movie will actually pertain to cloverfield since it seems to have really started out as something totally different, but they did do some re shoots, but I wonder how substantial they were. I first thought that it probably won't even show much as far as the monster but then why release it in IMAX if there isn't a decent amount of action? Well I'm excited to see. Does anyone know of any ARG forums that are discussing this?

Ashhong

The One and Done™;192390476 said:
How do we know this is a Cloverfield sequel

The thread title should really be changed. The sequel bit was just pure speculation, but it seems less and less likely. It just takes place in the same universe, somehow connected. How and how much is to be determined.

I have been wondering how much of the movie will actually pertain to cloverfield since it seems to have really started out as something totally different, but they did do some re shoots, but I wonder how substantial they were. I first thought that it probably won't even show much as far as the monster but then why release it in IMAX if there isn't a decent amount of action? Well I'm excited to see. Does anyone know of any ARG forums that are discussing this?

I predict the connection is that the events from Cloverfield are the cause of the bunker and the drama seen in this movie. So in a sense, it pertains a lot to Cloverfield. However, most people just think Cloverfield = big monster so in that sense, I think people will be disappointed.

Volcane

I loved Cloverfield. This looks somewhat different, but looks good. Makes me think of a cross between War of the Worlds basement scene and Signs.

The 10 in the title makes me think of binary 2.

Erv

The thread title should really be changed. The sequel bit was just pure speculation, but it seems less and less likely. It just takes place in the same universe, somehow connected. How and how much is to be determined.

I predict the connection is that the events from Cloverfield are the cause of the bunker and the drama seen in this movie. So in a sense, it pertains a lot to Cloverfield. However, most people just think Cloverfield = big monster so in that sense, I think people will be disappointed.

I definitely agree that people are going to disappointed, but I have no doubt the monster will be shown just because I see no reason to release it in IMAX if they weren't unless what people said is true which is they are only doing it to get more money which would be sad.

Erv

Heres a thread on a popular ARG forum where they are discussing the movie. Also a quote from the forum where someone claims to know someone who may or may not work for Bad Robot(grain of salt, yeah I know)...
Just talked to a person I know who may or may not work for BR and they didn't work on this project, but they said that this definitely wasn't made as a Cloverfield sequel and that they don't think there is an ARG campaign, but they were very clear that they weren't sure and it wasn't their project.

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41869&start=45

Is anyone else slightly disappointed this is not going to be found footage? I hate the genre but somehow loved Cloverfield. It really added to the sense of scale.

I imagine it may have gone through the head of someone at the production for a while, but was probably going to either be too artificial or against the interests of the new type of story and setting.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think it is slightly strange for this film to have chosen to do away with the found footage element considering it sounds like doing the film in a footage footage style could have gone hand in hand with its immediate premise. You know, they could have had John Goodman's character hiding security cameras around the bunker, believing that it could be important to document their experiences as the survivors of this mysterious, apocalyptic event. No shaky cam, just cutting between each of the rooms in the bunker as the tension slowly ratchets up Paranormal Activity style.

At the end of the day though, I'm not fussed. I'll just be delighted if this film turns out to be in the same universe as Cloverfield, but even if that doesn't turn out to be the case, I'm totally a sucker for tightly directed "bottle episode" type films that slowly ratchet up the tension anyway. It should be a fun experience, no matter what this film turns out to be. Much like with the original Cloverfield film, I think a lot of the fun is in anticipating what kind of experience you're letting yourself in for.

Ashhong

I loved Cloverfield. This looks somewhat different, but looks good. Makes me think of a cross between War of the Worlds basement scene and Signs.

The 10 in the title makes me of binary 2.

Hey that's a nice catch.

I definitely agree that people are going to disappointed, but I have no doubt the monster will be shown just because I see no reason to release it in IMAX if they weren't unless what people said is true which is they are only doing it to get more money which would be sad.

Well like I mentioned, IMAX probably isn't losing much by having this. Deadpool will have been in IMAX for a month by this time, and one week later Batman v Superman will be taking over. So it's only 1 week (less probably since I assume BVS will have early screenings).

That being said, I expect at least half of the movie outside with big sprawling views of the fallout from Cloverfield, and only a few monster shots.

Erv

well since i read the reddit post that spoils the ending of the original script I really hope the cloverfield connection changes the ending lol

Tambini

I think this will be a good movie but maybe also a bit of a cash grab on the cloverfield name..my expectations for it being a good monster movie are now very low so I will go in just hoping for a good movie, but I think there will be backlash online

Lexad

Honestly, I would still go see this type of movie even if it wasn't Cloverfield related. I love these one room type thrillers.

EGM1966

TBH I'm kind of hmm about this. Sounds good but the trailer and link to Cloverfield implies they've taken the extended sequence from Spielberg's War of the World's where the protagonists realize they're sheltering from the monsters with a madman and made it into an entire feature length film.

Still. I did like cloverfield even if it eventually revealed itself as nothing but a MacGuffin with no actual depth as such. And I love Goodman in these kinds of roles. He just turns on some king of uneasy intimidation and threat juju and becomes scary as all fuck.

That distant creature sound at the end of the trailer.

Has anyone who has seen the test screenings said if there is new footage in that trailer?

Also, Goodman can be scary as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom