• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 minutes of No Man's Sky gameplay (w/ RAW AUDIO)

SomTervo

I don't know much about it except it has a cyberpunk like setting and it's made by CDPR. If it's less on rails than Witcher I'm very interested (I liked Witcher but I prefer RPGs more like New Vegas that give me the setting/world story and let me roleplay my own character and make her own story within it. It's a big reason why I prefer Bethesda's RPGs over Witcher despite Bethesda's weaknesses. If you can't tell New Vegas is probably my ideal live action RPG with a good mix of everything I want in an RPG but first person live action gameplay which I think I do like over turn based though I like turn based too. ANd yes, I realize New Vegas is Obsidian. I am really hoping Bethesda lets Obsidian do another Fallout).

Yeah, they're on record saying Cyberpunk 2077 has a character creator, that the story focuses on you makin your character and living their life, and all your class/attire/skill choices impacting how people react to you, as well as your actions and dialogue choices. Can also be played FPS as well as TPS. There's no world-saving plotline or grandiose character drama. It's just you, your choces and character traits, and an intricate tableau of selfish and narcissistic people. In short, it sounds like the opposite of the Witcher.

Seriously, have a quick look at the "everything we know about Cyberpunk 2077" thread. It sounds like everything you want. An amazing OP to boot.

Anyway, back on track! NMS hyyypeee!

SomTervo

So apparently there is some level of persistency involved online with if something is destroyed it's gone for everyone.

So uhh, so what's preventing jerkass players from blowing up your favorite Space Station just to grief you or whatever.

Yeah as others said - nothin to worry about. They'll be fucking millions of stars away. Literally, haha.

I was sayin just a few pages back that i was sure there was persistence!

In the most recent videos, the blocks only show up for a second or two when a resource is detected, and then go away. Wonder if it was just temporary graphics and if they'll have a different look in the final game.

Which specific vids are you referring to?

Seriously, have a quick look at the "everything we know about Cyberpunk 2077" thread. It sounds like everything you want. An amazing OP to boot.

Anyway, back on track! NMS hyyypeee!

I was always excited for Cyberpunk, but I'll definitely be checking that thread out 0_0. Perfect that the game takes place in a Cyberpunk setting too. High fantasy is like my least favorite thing.

Which specific vids are you referring to?

I was always excited for Cyberpunk, but I'll definitely be checking that thread out 0_0. Perfect that the game takes place in a Cyberpunk setting too. High fantasy is like my least favorite thing.
You might also want to keep an eye on Copper Dreams, a cyberpunk cRPG from the devs of Serpent in the Staglands

There are probably a billion space stations and they're apparently very hard to take down.

Also, the scale of this game is enormous. Even if a million players were all working to grief the player base you'd barely feel it.

I'm hoping Hello games puts some sort of server checks in the "online" version of the game. Since this game is also offline playable on PC, people WILL figure out, at some point after release, how to access the memory addresses for player location, health, weapon damage, and ship speed. As long as those people can't make changes to the persistent server database, then it really shouldn't matter. But if they can, and the server trusts the clients implicitly, then there is the potential for large-scale griefing that would make a dent in that number.

Really hope that's not the case though, and that Hello Games has planned for that potential.

Im wondering if they chose to lock the framerate to 30fps? (Console)

Sean's said they're targeting 60. All of their previous games have been 60, and some of the team used to work on the Burnout series. So they have technical chops to reach 60. The hard part is that when you have a massively procedural world, the usual optimization tricks don't necessarily apply. Also, where you do draw the line between improving the "pop-in" caused by world generation and the framerate?

But it's good to know the screen tearing is a video artifact; one less thing for them to worry about.

I remember reading that those blocks were placeholders.

No, it's the scan.

Re: Other weather, I visited a planet that was just a giant black storm. Couldn't see more than a meter in front of me and had to dig into a cave for shelter.

No cities at all though. Just small settlements. At least until you get closer to the center of the galaxy, which Hello is incredibly secretive about.

No, it's the scan.

Re: Other weather, I visited a planet that was just a giant black storm. Couldn't see more than a meter in front of me and had to dig into a cave for shelter.

No cities at all though. Just small settlements. At least until you get closer to the center of the galaxy, which Hello is incredibly secretive about.
Okay, come on now. Can't leave it at that :p
Always enjoy hearing GAF impressions of games.

You might also want to keep an eye on Copper Dreams, a cyberpunk cRPG from the devs of Serpent in the Staglands

Seen it before. Not my genre.

No, it's the scan.

I know it's the scan. Here's some quotes about it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-22-so-what-do-you-actually-do-in-no-mans-sky

As Sean scans the environment, cubes of collectible materials are outlined against the terrain. He then fires projectiles towards them, destroying great chunks of the scenery with a shimmery sci-fi sound effect. 'You can see the terrain is destructible, which is something we haven't shown people before

So, a thing that we haven't really shown off yet is resources. We're not generally showing this - and it will look better in the finished game

What are you going on about? Who said I was comparing gameplay? I'm pointing out the idea that the existence of "goals" is an inherent indicator of anything. Did you notice the part where nothing you're pointing out is mutually exclusive with your original comment to NMS? Where do you think that dissonance comes from?

I know I'm 3 days late, but comparing NMS to minecraft is a terrible example. Minecraft is not a game without an objective. It's basically virtual lego. Building stuff is the goal, rest, like procedurally generated worlds, survival aspects, yada yada is just elaborate (and yes, improtant but still ) window dressing. NMS so far looks like all of that window dressing without the underlying point.

When people start minecraft their ultimate goal quickly establishes it... usually it's to build a giant dildo from diamonds or something.
What will be the goal in NMS? Exploring? Why would I explore after I've seen the basic presets and figured out how generation ticks? It will be just boring recolored remixes of the same. It's not like I will find some place with some environmental story telling... there can't be any, cause it's all just randomized. No person with an idea of what happened here stepped in and set up a scene to allude to that.

So far, NMS still remains a beatufil idea done for it's own sake. My guess is, they are expecting people to stick around long enough to generate the purpose by generating a basic approximaton of a society. If that works, beautiful, you have a game which goals and priorities are fully and utterly generated by the community playing it. Maybe they end up competing in making mining corporations with employees and net worths and stuff eve online stuff. Maybe people really into rolleplay will create faux institues for observing and recording as many species of flora and fauna in the universe as possible... But doing all that alone will shatter the illussion in a matter of an hour or two... And if community does not embrace this, game is, in my opinion, completely fucked. So it strikes me as a bit of a gamble, with a bit of a catch 22.

SomTervo

No, it's the scan.

HNNNG

THE HYPPPEE

MORE IMPRESSIONS, GOD, PLEASE

I know I'm 3 days late, but comparing NMS to minecraft is a terrible example. Minecraft is not a game without an objective. It's basically virtual lego. Building stuff is the goal, rest, like procedurally generated worlds, survival aspects, yada yada is just elaborate (and yes, improtant but still ) window dressing. NMS so far looks like all of that window dressing without the underlying point.

When people start minecraft their ultimate goal quickly establishes it... usually it's to build a giant dildo from diamonds or something.
What will be the goal in NMS? Exploring? Why would I explore after I've seen the basic presets and figured out how generation ticks? It will be just boring recolored remixes of the same. It's not like I will find some place with some environmental story telling... there can't be any, cause it's all just randomized. No person with an idea of what happened here stepped in and set up a scene to allude to that.

You say that comparing with Minecraft is a terrible example, but then hold NMS to the strength of Minecraft (building things). Combat, survival, and exploration are not "window dressing" in NMS, they are central goals which support the narrative goal of getting to the center of the galaxy. I personally don't compare this game to Minecraft; it's an anti-Minecraft. Hello doesn't want you sit on a planet and build up a giant base, they want you to go into the unknown.

And I think you have the wrong idea about the creature preset models. It's not like they just do a palette swap. They use them as seeds for the procedural generation, tweaking many factors about the models, as well as the skeletal animation.

SomTervo

So far, NMS still remains a beatufil idea done for it's own sake. My guess is, they are expecting people to stick around long enough to generate the purpose by generating a basic approximaton of a society. If that works, beautiful, you have a game which goals and priorities are fully and utterly generated by the community playing it. Maybe they end up competing in making mining corporations with employees and net worths and stuff eve online stuff. Maybe people really into rolleplay will create faux institues for observing and recording as many species of flora and fauna in the universe as possible... But doing all that alone will shatter the illussion in a matter of an hour or two... And if community does not embrace this, game is, in my opinion, completely fucked. So it strikes me as a bit of a gamble, with a bit of a catch 22.

You're not wrong at all - but bear in mind the comparison between Minecraft and NMS was only raised because both games feature a "do your own thing" ethos. Sean Murray himself has said that NMS is inspired by Minecraft's sandbox gameplay: where the game doesn't give you any goal or direction, and you decide what to do yourself before doing it.

Of course that's where the comparisons end, to an extent. Occasionally you'll probably need to survive in NMS similarly to Minecraft, but obviously you'll be doing a very different thing 90% of the time. Exploring, proceeding into the unknown, cataloguing, upgrading your stuff.

lcap

No, it's the scan.

Oh, these are the kind of experiences I'm hoping to have with NMS. I wonder what's so great about the center of the universe. Looks like a game changer (for the game itself, I mean)

legacyzero

Banned
If the game runs smoother that way. Then why not. The majority of people don't care either way.

While I prefer 60 FPS, I agree that image quality (1080p) and stability are most important to me. So yeah, I'd take 30 if I had to. Certain games NEED 60 FPS. This probably isn't one of them. But that sure would be great.

Oh, these are the kind of experiences I'm hoping to have with NMS. I wonder what's so great about the center of the universe. Looks like a game changer (for the game itself, I mean)

Unless it's something we can't even imagine, my guess is that the center of the galaxy (I feel like they've used galaxy and universe interchangeably at times) contains the ability to travel to other, hopefully weirder, galaxies.

Unless it's something we can't even imagine, my guess is that the center of the galaxy (I feel like they've used galaxy and universe interchangeably at times) contains the ability to travel to other, hopefully weirder, galaxies.
Perhaps. In the IGN First walkthrough, Sean says you can play after reaching the center, but new things are available to you.

SomTervo

Perhaps. In the IGN First walkthrough, Sean says you can play after reaching the center, but new things are available to you.

Bear in mind he has said there are other galaxies. And he said so in a sort of 'I can't say too much here' way.

Gateway to other galaxies is a really good idea I think. At least the option.

RedSwirl

Well if we're talking about having a central "point," let's go back to Elite. Maybe not in the first one, but since Frontier: Elite II the central "point" has been to expertly fly a space ship. This is especially true if you go a combat route. It's a flight sim. Even if you go a trading route it's about how quickly and efficiently you can navigate routes, like how Han Solo did the Kessell run. Exploration, which is what NMS seems to be mainly focused on, is sort of a new addition to Elite with Elite: Dangerous.

NMS's main "point" is probably going to be the surface-side survival gameplay which hasn't really been combined with the space sim game before. Maybe the messaging of that hasn't really gotten out because everybody spent so much time talking about the technology of game. And you're right that the exploration element is going to depend a lot on how much variety you can actually get from the procedural generation. I'm willing to bet however that we're going to see more than some people are anticipating.

SomTervo

NMS's main "point" is probably going to be the surface-side survival gameplay which hasn't really been combined with the space sim game before. Maybe the messaging of that hasn't really gotten out because everybody spent so much time talking about the technology of game. And you're right that the exploration element is going to depend a lot on how much variety you can actually get from the procedural generation. I'm willing to bet however that we're going to see more than some people are anticipating.

Well said. I suppose the idea that you can spend 5+ meaningful hours on a planet, seeing loads of new things and doing loads of new things, then flying off through the atmosphere to travel through space and find a new load of things on another planet, while interacting with other races/space stations in space, is pretty much unprecedented.

Kadayi

Banned
Yes, so on point when every RPG has character creation and every RPG has a strong/strict narrative. It just sounds like you guys are defining role playing games based on a slice of RPGs that is more narrow than it is in reality.

Not at all. Pretty much what's been said is how it's understood. That anyone old ying yang developer can slap 'RPG' on their game when in reality its more a case of 'has RPG style mechanics' is beside the point.

But neither of those would be considering role-playing, in the sense that games like Elite or STALKER actually challenge you and give the freedom and means to actually play a certain role. Being a pirate/smuggler in Elite or being a successful scavenger in STALKER isn't the same as selecting a move for a pawn in chess or aiming a gun in COD or knifing players in CS. You're not just directing the action; you have to act like that role.

What role? Playing the game is not a role. It's playing the game. A role is more than an action. A character in an RPG is more than merely an avatar, they are a conduit. Whether that's Geralt of Rivia or Commander Shepard. I'm not them. I'm directing them. When I'm in stalker I'm not directing a character, I'm directing an avatar that represents me. This is distinct.

I didn't mean to say "no character creation" alone, I meant to say "no character creation or established character". Every game I'd call an RPG has one or the other (or in some cases, both).

And again, I wouldn't call Dark Souls an RPG, though it's certainly closer to what I'd consider one than No Man's Sky is, to a significant degree.

Same. I love the shit out of DS, but a full on RPG it is not. Action RPG is a misnomer.

Not at all. Pretty much what's been said is how it's understood. That anyone old ying yang developer can slap 'RPG' on their game when in reality its more a case of 'has RPG style mechanics' is beside the point.

Action RPG is a misnomer.

First of all, I never said NMS was a straight up RPG. Neither did Sean. He said said the progression is much like an open ended RPG, because it's an accurate way to describe it, and the majority of people will understand what he's getting at in that sense.

Action RPG is a misnomer, again, only in your bubble of how you want to define things, but not in reality. Everyone nowadays except a minority acknowledges that an action RPG is just an RPG with more real-time based combat rather than menu based. It's you and dozens vs the world on this one if you're going to try to argue that ARPG is somehow a misnomer.

It sounds almost too quiet to me. I guess that's to be expected with a space exploration game though, so no complaints. I'll probably be running iTunes or Spotify in the background though.

Mathieran

Banned
I don't care if the cinema mode on the PSVR is low res, the first I'm gonna do when I get it is boot this game up in cinema mode.

I wonder if Sony will allow NMS to be the one game that can be 30 fps reprojected to 60 for VR. Or 45 to 90. Unlikely, but they must be well aware that it would be perfect for VR and how hard the terrain generation is on the CPU.

23qwerty

I wonder if Sony will allow NMS to be the one game that can be 30 fps reprojected to 60 for VR. Or 45 to 90. Unlikely, but they must be well aware that it would be perfect for VR and how hard the terrain generation is on the CPU.
there is a very good reason that the minimum required is 60

there is a very good reason that the minimum required is 60

I realize that but if they can't hit 60 they may go for it since NMS is coming out before PSVR anyways. I think I'd take that over a stripped down VR version.

Full disclosure: I haven't tried VR at any fps so 30 reprojected to 60 could very well cause me to puke all over my DS4. I just think it would be an awful shame if NMS wasn't supported.

23qwerty

I realize that but if they can't hit 60 they may go for it since NMS is coming out before PSVR anyways. I think I'd take that over a stripped down VR version.

Full disclosure: I haven't tried VR at any fps so 30 reprojected to 60 could very well cause me to puke all over my DS4. I just think it would be an awful shame if NMS wasn't supported.
they would strip the game down so that it ran at 60 long before they would let you run out at 30. you'll be able to use the cinema mode for it though

G-Bus

Banned
Looking forward to this game immensely but the more videos I watch the more.. not sure how to put this.. basic everything seems. Simple even. Flying around is very bare bones. Shooting stuff the same. No feeling of weight, very little in the way of particle effects.

One video had shown the character shooting through a rock and the laser hits it and boom, hole. He shot some crystals and it just disappeared kind of.

Probably not a good way of explaining what I'm thinking.

Either way it has me worried a bit.

legacyzero

Banned
No, it's the scan.

My GOD that's glorious.

E92 M3

No, it's the scan.

How could have I missed this?! That is a dream come true.

No, it's the scan.

leo7.gif

SomTervo

So I read something really cool, which I think is news, in the Official Playstation Magazine UK hands-on preview. We sort of knew shit would be mixed up towards the centre of the galaxy, but not how.

Quote:

Art director, Grant Duncan: "We've tried to break the rules as you get closer to the centre. We can change everything about a planet as you get closer – we can make the terrain break all the rules, and we can break all the rules of the atmosphere and trees and everything, so you can arrive on a planet where everything is unsettling and the creatures start moving in unsettling ways. So if you saw an elephant moving in the same way a dog does – if you take a dog skeleton, and tweak it until you basically get an elephant skeleton – you would be like "What the fuck?" Hopefully, it all adds to the sense of 'Urgh, what is this place?'-ness. We're trying to get that feeling of moving forward."

Shit that sounds good.

I found some blue crystals the devs had never seen before. Pretty cool.
Also, T-Rexes with human like hands are scary.

Jesus shit. An example of the above, perhaps.

MORE IMPRESSIONS, FOX, I DEMAND IT

Brinbe

Wow, the center of the galaxy being all sorts of screwy is something I had never considered. So fucking hyped. There's so much still to discover.

Zom

Banned
Ok, I think I'm tired of the responses in this threads every time they pop out, so see ya in the OT.

SomTervo

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the what do you do stuff every time a NMS thread gets put up.

I hope so.

Quoting myself for new page:

So I read something really cool, which I think is news, in the Official Playstation Magazine UK hands-on preview. We sort of knew shit would be mixed up towards the centre of the galaxy, but not how.

Quote:

Art director, Grant Duncan: "We've tried to break the rules as you get closer to the centre. We can change everything about a planet as you get closer – we can make the terrain break all the rules, and we can break all the rules of the atmosphere and trees and everything, so you can arrive on a planet where everything is unsettling and the creatures start moving in unsettling ways. So if you saw an elephant moving in the same way a dog does – if you take a dog skeleton, and tweak it until you basically get an elephant skeleton – you would be like "What the fuck?" Hopefully, it all adds to the sense of 'Urgh, what is this place?'-ness. We're trying to get that feeling of moving forward."

Shit that sounds good.

Top Bottom