• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

backlot

Made it to top 100 with gold dynamo after exactly 2 hours of playing. It's just luck. I'm now already back down to 1800 thanks to dumb teammates choosing carbon for competitve turf war.

We'll win a game one day with double dynamo, backlot :p

Yeah, we've gotten poor luck every time we get matched together.

StAidan

I ran into a lot of familiar faces this time around, for some reason. Even met a gaffer (Moskito) once, and the infamous Zack Scott.

Anyway, I had mostly wins on Team Spongebob.

Jims

The matchmaking slowed to a crawl once it started getting late in Europe. Ended up getting to King but it took a little while. +65 overall on the day, which is decent, I guess.

The Spongebob teams seemed tougher than the Patrick dittos.

CO_Andy

Team Spongeball is realllllly awful. Like the vast majority of the 40+ Spongebab players i played with seem to be lacking compared to the high level Patrick players.

When on a seven Spongebob victory streak.

I was so happy when I got disconnected. I needed a break.

12+ hours from now.

Thanks.

Just went to the Plaza. So 3 PM tommorow.

I messed up today when looking at Google maps for when CVS Pharmacy closed. It said 10 pm but apparently that was just for the store. I went before 9 and the pharmacy was closed.

I only had one pill left today of something I take three of daily.

I get really bad withdrawal headaches that have started. Not sure when I get the medicine tommorow how much time I'll have to rank up. Don't think I can play much more today.

CO_Andy

Another Splatfest another carnival of ragequitters at the end of matches.

I imagine Japan's Splatfests are filled with a lot less of these people.

Jims

Had one guy decide to stare at the back of the wall at Bluefin spawn for the last minute. The match had been going admittedly poorly, but it wasn't unsalvageable yet. We had one guy running around our side, we weren't being spawn-camped or anything.

We lost by 1%. That stupid loser.

Things must be winding down, I managed to get Spongebob King about 5 minutes ago though...slots were getting harder to fill.

Not sure if the team balancing made a difference but we won quite a few of our matches on Spongebob side. I rode with team to 11x, got about 60-70 points with them. I had to ditch them for going out to meet someone for dinner and I wish I could communicate my disappointment in leaving. We each had a strategy for each map that seemed to work, we could cover each other too, so much fun!

My hopes are team Callie is back =)

Aldric

This has to be one of the least enjoyable Splatfests I've been a part of yet.

Yeah l definitely don't like the new formula. lt's more stressful and frustrating than solo queue, l've been matched at least twice against players from competitive teams (one from NSTC l think) and got obviously destroyed, this never happened in ranked even when the matchmaking was wonky and mixed S and S+ ranks.

Maxed out with a 1564 Splatfest power, l think this'll be my last one.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm on full fucking tilt right now. I think I've lost 13 consecutive matches (sorry Patricks). I know it's partially my fault because I'm playing custom blaster without my defense up shirt, but I'm just too salty at my teammates to switch yet until I get a win...

I miss the old splatfests.

Edit: I sincerely want my side to lose.

Tuna Team wins, that's a close one. The new rule makes the winning rate much closer than before. They should change x6 back to x4 or x2 IMO.

Doorman

This has to be one of the least enjoyable Splatfests I've been a part of yet.

I'm right there with you, for a variety of reasons. I think the "Power" ratings and everything makes sense to try and keep matches more even, but since everyone else in the Discord who was playing at the same time as me was S+ and I'm S, the starting power difference basically ensured that I wouldn't get to play with anyone when I was actually intending to. Ran into Burning Justice for a few games but a disconnect brought an end to that.

On top of that, there was the ridiculous amount of Patrick dittos, probably a good 45-50% of my matches and the general fact that I had no rooting interest in this theme to begin with (seriously they picked probably my two least favorite characters from the show, if I had any preference at all). The splatfest before this one had the new system too, but I had a much stronger winning streak for that one so the grind felt quick. This was just an unenjoyable slog all the way through.

ChrisD

DANG IT No overtaking DaBoss on the scoreboard lol. Had 1992 to his 2017, just won the last battle but am unsure on my final score just yet.

Least I made it into Top 100!

Edit: 2001. My team was kicking butt, too! I should have woke up earlier. >_>

Shout outs to said teammates: ISM+Mkp12, {Cookie}, and MariesButt

ffdgh

0NBcldC.jpg

boom
tumblr_ncosaobt4e1tajjsfo1_400.gif

Jims

Whohoo! Surprised the win rate was so high for Team Patrick. Probably only a third of my games were against Spongebob teams, so the popularity score is unexpected as well.

Having the Splatfest matchmaking based on your rank is hard to determine who's the more popular team, so many mirror matches on Pokemon Blue and Red was still the popular team.

I didn't get any mirror matches because I was Team Spongebob, and almost nobody in S+ was Spongebob and I couldn't care less of playing this Splatfest

I didn't know your rank counts during Splatfests. That explains why I was matched with generally pretty capable team mates.

Chose Marie so it's nice to have three victories, I guess we are on a roll.

After almost no wins during how many? 9 or so splatfests this feels great.

So I lost. Due to some medicine issues I only went to champion this time. I did win over 75% of my matches though.

I couldn't vote for Patrick even if I wanted the Sea Snails. I like him but he also grates me.

I hop they continue Splatfests throughout the year. I really want to upgrade all my gear and have only gotten King the two Splatfests before this.

Got patrick king on the last game before the splatfest closed

Feels good

I was 93 on the last Pokemon match. Felt really bad.

Tuna Team wins, that's a close one. The new rule makes the winning rate much closer than before. They should change x6 back to x4 or x2 IMO.

x6 was always stupid. There wasn't a Splatfest in NA were x4 decided the winner

They should honest probably go to x3 because more popularity almost always has more losses.

Ogodei

I had a good mix of Patrick v Patrick and i'm only A-.

Is it the case that the hardcore players try to pick the team they think will be less popular because the less popular teams win, or is there something in the math calculations that makes it more likely that the less popular team wins more?

Doorman

Is it the case that the hardcore players try to pick the team they think will be less popular because the less popular teams win, or is there something in the math calculations that makes it more likely that the less popular team wins more?

Under the old splatfest rules, the common assumption was to pick the less popular team under the theory that the masses of younger/worse players would gravitate to a particular side, therefore the smaller team with the better (or at least more voting-savvy) players would take a clear majority of the actual matches. There was also some talk about the math and psychological aspect of playing mirror matches on the more popular team but I was never sure if that was actually accurate or not.

It's harder now to judge any of it since teams are (theoretically) matched with and against people of similar skill level, both making matches more even all around and making it harder to get a grasp of popularity numbers. For instance in the higher ranks, the reports seemed to be a ridiculous preponderance of Patrick players compared to Bobs, with tons of Patrick dittos, even though Bob eventually showed to have a clear voting majority.

ffdgh

So far when teams are less popular they have less mirror matches and more matches vs the opposing team.Then there's the 6x multiplier for battle wins which makes things hilariously lopsided lol.

...Still doesn't explain the insane amount of Patrick mirrors despite his lower popularity though.

edit: Too slow.

Originally in US splatfests, the more popular team was usually more likely to win, despite the x2 multiplier on win's percentage. At some point that got bumped up to x4, then to x6, which basically made popularity irrelevant. During this time, we started seeing the pattern we see today; the more popular side would lose more matches than the less popular side. At that point, more invested players decided to wait until they could determine which side was less popular and bandwagon on that, which basically then became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There aren't many concreate reason(s) for why the more popular side is likely to lose more matches, but there's a lot of conjecture. In particular, the trend is opposite in Japanese Splatfests; the side that is more popular is more likely to go on to win more matches!

One theory is that, at least for the western world, the general population consists of less veteran players, and so the side that has more players is more likely to have more of them.

Another theory is that, due to the fact that mirror matches can happen, the good players on the popular side are more likely to play games vs themselves, whereas the good players on the less popular side are more likely to play games vs the other side, so the matches played by good players on the less popular side tend to matter more often.

DaBoss

Such a smooth sailing Splatfest. Splatfest power and just overall speed of it being increased makes Splatfest so much more enjoyable.
Yeah l definitely don't like the new formula. lt's more stressful and frustrating than solo queue, l've been matched at least twice against players from competitive teams (one from NSTC l think) and got obviously destroyed, this never happened in ranked even when the matchmaking was wonky and mixed S and S+ ranks.

Maxed out with a 1564 Splatfest power, l think this'll be my last one.
Heh, who were you up against from NSTC?

Jims

It's harder now to judge any of it since teams are (theoretically) matched with and against people of similar skill level, both making matches more even all around and making it harder to get a grasp of popularity numbers. For instance in the higher ranks, the reports seemed to be a ridiculous preponderance of Patrick players compared to Bobs, with tons of Patrick dittos, even though Bob eventually showed to have a clear voting majority.

Yeah. It seems really bizarre that, even with match-making, that one team can beat the other one by a full 10% swing. That feels really statistically impossible, if Splatfest Power Point are truly an indicator of skill.

As you suggested, there's gotta be something going on with the actual level of aggregate skill of the two teams that isn't reflected in the points. And it's gotta be spilling into the match-making, somehow. Given all the Patrick dittos in S and S+, could it be that the 1400-1500s Spongebob teams was running into more 1600+ teams than vice-versa? I know my 1650 Patrick squad saw exactly one scary 1780 Spongebob team (that wiped the floor with us) but maybe Spongbobs saw more of these kinds of games? That, looking through a smaller set of Patrick teams, the match-making was just settling on a slightly higher-ranked team in the queue. Maybe the rank distribution put the squeeze on the middle Spongebob ranks?

It's weird. I wish I could see the data that Nintendo probably sees.

Aldric

My 2nd time to S+. I didn't report the first time but I'll report it this time.

TC in general is a great mode for Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, but it is decent on skatepark and absolutely fantastic on bridge.

Nice. The Pro Deco is great on Camp Triggerfish, Kelp Dome, Mahi Mahi Resort, Piranha Pit and Hammerhead Bridge. It sucks on Flounder Heights and Urchin Underpass though.

Kito

GAFHouse V will mark the anniversary of Splatoon.
Quote for signup link
Quote for discord link

Theme: Past to present
Date: Saturday 28th May 2016
Time: 5PM EST (10PM BST)
Restriction: DLC maps and weapons banned. TC and RM banned.
Format: Round robin [Bo5] then grand final [Bo7] - restrictions lifted in grand final (see theme).

Non-DLC maps

Rig, Mall, Urchin, Walleye, Blackbelly

Non-DLC weapons

• .96 Gal
  • Dual Squelcher
  • Aerosprays
  • (Forge) SSP
  • (Custom) Blaster
  • (Custom) Jet Squelcher
  • (Custom) Splattershot Jr.
  • (Tentatek) Splattershot
  • .52 Gal (Deco)
  • Rapid Blaster (Deco)
    —
  • Squiffers
  • E-litre 3K
  • (Kelp) Splat Charger
  • (Kelp) Splatterscope
    —
  • Splat Rollers
  • (Gold) Dynamo Roller

EDIT: Some further tidbits

-This will be reposted in 2 weeks for extra visibility
-Target of 16 signups for 4 teams
-All teams will be fully randomised on the day of GAFHouse (hopefully live in a discord channel with a bot) to meet an average rank quota

EDIT2: Even further tidbits

~~~Signups currently at 8/16~~~
-Teams will be named Squidstyler, Nom, Izayoi, or Violet.
-Tags (see bolded) will be Kito |OT|, .52 Kito, GoldKito, Kito_0 respectively.
-Randomisation via discord: each entrant will be given a temporary rank tag on discord to create rank pools. Players will then be randomly drawn from these pools by a bot. [There will also be streamer tag/pools to ensure each team has a potential streamer. (As teams are assembled member by member, it should be a hype event of its own.)]

EDIT3: etc

-Map rotations have been carefully selected. To be revealed on the day.
-6 temporary discord channels: draw, results and teams.

Regiruler

GAFHouse V will mark the anniversary of Splatoon.
Quote for signup link
Quote for discord link

Theme: Past to present
Date: Saturday 28th May 2016
Time: 5PM EST (10PM BST)
Restriction: DLC maps and weapons banned. TC and RM banned.
Format: Round robin [Bo5] then grand final [Bo7] - restrictions lifted in grand final (see theme).

Non-DLC maps

Rig, Mall, Urchin, Walleye, Blackbelly

Non-DLC weapons

• .96 Gal
  • Dual Squelcher
  • Aerosprays
  • (Forge) SSP
  • (Custom) Blaster
  • (Custom) Jet Squelcher
  • (Custom) Splattershot Jr.
  • (Tentatek) Splattershot
  • .52 Gal (Deco)
  • Rapid Blaster (Deco)
    —
  • Squiffers
  • E-litre 3K
  • (Kelp) Splat Charger
  • (Kelp) Splatterscope
    —
  • Splat Rollers
  • (Gold) Dynamo Roller

A real throwback ruleset would ban splat zones too.

ChrisD

That's... A good point, actually.

I'm not Moskito, and I don't want to look like I'm speaking answers on his part. But I assume it's to keep a bit of the variety in what modes are played, while still staying faithful enough to just the bare-bones we started with.

Top Bottom