• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Regiruler

The original game has only lasted a year of fresh content unless they have something more up their sleeve, a port wouldn't even last that.

3 years from launch is WAY too long. By that point it would be time for Splatoon 3.

phanphare

Banned
The original game has only lasted a year of fresh content unless they have something more up their sleeve, a port wouldn't even last that.

3 years from launch is WAY too long. By that point it would be time for Splatoon 3.

I imagine there'd be more content rolled out for the NX port

J@hranimo

Banned

Yeah I saw this in the "NX" thread. Josh is full of it or just heard a really terrible rumor as far as the sequel release is concerned. I can see the sequel is Spring 2018, but I'm pretty sure we'll see a sequel next year sometime. It didn't take too long to build this game up to what we got at launch. It would ridiculous for Nintendo to not capitalize on a sequel so late while it's so popular now.

It's a Silhouette of a splat roller, but there's an add-on on it, looks like a vertical stabilizer.

Oh yeah thanks tony! Bubbler roller is about to be a thing lol.

ChrisD

If there's not a new Splatoon something or another by 2017 (even an announcement for a 2018 game would count) I think Nintendo have lost their minds.

You don't run into such a success with new IPs very easily. I'm sure they know that.

So yeah, I'm calling bad info/rumor as well.

Moondrop

Banned
Oh yeah thanks tony! Bubbler roller is about to be a thing lol.
As much as I wish it to be true, I think I've figured it out: the vertical stabilizer is a dorsal fin. Since the krak-on roller is basically a shark-themed set already, it must be a dolphin dorsal fin. Therefore the sub/special will be point sensor/echolocator in honor of dolphins. QED ;)

backlot

Are we sure the roller in the silhouette had an extra piece on it? None of the weapons in the first pack had changes to the models.

Ogodei

Maybe Spla2n would be 2018 to build hype for the adaptation? That would then only be 2-ish (probably less) years out from the NX port, which yeah, is probably going to bring some new content (where my Octolings at?)

Tried splatterscope again for the first time in a long while, find it too restricting now. I lose a lot of situational awareness and it's not like seeing your foes is a problem since the reticule marker changes when you have a lock on them anyway.

Berry Splattershot Pro is the new hotness in Tower Control. More range than the splash-o-matic but the same suction bomb-centric loadout. I did make some gains last night but people using different kinds of "rush" specials kept an insane amount of pressure on at times.

Azure J

Hey Moskito, I've kinda been wondering about this for a bit, why do ya run Ninja Squid with the E-Liter? Experiment? Do the swim speed penalties hinder you or is it something you don't mind?

Kito

Hey Moskito, I've kinda been wondering about this for a bit, why do ya run Ninja Squid with the E-Liter? Experiment? Do the swim speed penalties hinder you or is it something you don't mind?

I only use ninja squid E-litre in SZ or TW. Post patch, I feel a lot more vulnerable in close range combat, due to the partial charge nerf. Rather than jumping back to base every time and lose map, after some experimentation, I found that ninja squid really helps slip away to a better location or hide in the tinciest dot of ink, and then snipe them as they turn their back (or ebomb them in their confusion :p). It's an ability that works best when someone is chasing you. I've seen quite a few solo randoms with ninja squid E-litre recently, whether it's new meta or an ability crisis, I don't know.

On swim speed, I don't think vanilla E-litres need it, as you spend most of the game in one spot at a time - you rarely swim. In the same way splatlings don't need swim speed because they're always on foot. Since you use E-litre way more than me, if you decide to trial ninja squid I'd love to hear your verdict, Azure.

ChrisD

Question: Is it salt speaking if I say Tower Control is objectively the worst mode just because one team can push the tower from 47 to win with four Krakens?

Answer: No, it's not salt, and that was the dumbest thing I've seen in this game in months.

ffdgh

Question: Is it salt speaking if I say Tower Control is objectively the worst mode just because one team can push the tower from 47 to win with four Krakens?

Answer: No, it's not salt, and that was the dumbest thing I've seen in this game in months.

Passive special charge is a blessing and a curse lol.

Jims

Spent my last Snail today. Bring on Splatfest! :D

Nah, that's not salt. The Krakens can obviously be pushed off, but that kind of scenario is hard to defend against in general. On a practical level, what can be done when that happens?

I'll bring some salt. After tonight, I kinda want to quit Tower Control Solo Ranked forever. Thought it would get better in S-rank but it doesn't. Still full of Lunas jamming the tower endlessly and matches that are sometimes dictated by which team can chain a couple Krakens or Bubbles together. That's a generalization to be sure; it can just get a little demoralizing seeing it happen semi-regularly. Would rather lose by a team-wipe in Rainmaker or getting locked out in Zones.

I've seen some really great high-level matches of the game mode, so there's definitely merit to it at a competitive level. Maybe it gets really awesome in S+. But ugggggggh, Solo Queue.

Maybe I just suck at the mode, I dunno.

ChrisD

Spent my last Snail today. Bring on Splatfest!

Nah, that's not salt. The Krakens can obviously be pushed off, but that kind of scenario is hard to defend against in general. On a practical level, what can be done when that happens?

I'll bring some salt. After tonight, I kinda want to quit Tower Control Solo Ranked forever. Thought it would get better in S-rank but it doesn't. Still full of Lunas jamming the tower endlessly and matches that are sometimes dictated by which team can chain a couple Krakens or Bubbles together. That's a generalization to be sure; it can just get a little demoralizing seeing it happen semi-regularly.

I've seen some really great high-level matches of the game mode, so there's definitely merit to it at a competitive level. Maybe it gets really awesome in S+. But ugggggggh, Solo Queue.

Maybe I just suck at the mode, I dunno.

Said four Kraken rush was in S+.
It doesn't get better, LuNeo, Custom E-Liter, and anything else with Krakens/Bubbler is basically the name of the game. And unfortunately, you really can't push off a Kraken no matter what rank. Their hitbox is so wide horizontally that pinning to the tower is super easy to do.

I mean I know I suck at the mode. But it's like Triforce/Kevin (think it was you) brought up: Kraken (and I think he included Bubbler as well) shouldn't move tower since that's the only objective, and Kraken is invincible. Basically, it's an unstoppable push. In all other modes, the objective is always vulnerable. RM? Carrier can always be killed. SZ? It's an area that can always be capped. And TW is TW. TC is the only thing that gets broken into pieces with the invincibility Specials.

On another note, no kidding with Museum Zones being on all the time. It's like every time I've booted the game up it's in rotation... Give me Walleye Warehouse that often. :(

Azure J

I only use ninja squid E-litre in SZ or TW. Post patch, I feel a lot more vulnerable in close range combat, due to the partial charge nerf. Rather than jumping back to base every time and lose map, after some experimentation, I found that ninja squid really helps slip away to a better location or hide in the tinciest dot of ink, and then snipe them as they turn their back (or ebomb them in their confusion :p). It's an ability that works best when someone is chasing you. I've seen quite a few solo randoms with ninja squid E-litre recently, whether it's new meta or an ability crisis, I don't know.

On swim speed, I don't think vanilla E-litres need it, as you spend most of the game in one spot at a time - you rarely swim. In the same way splatlings don't need swim speed because they're always on foot. Since you use E-litre way more than me, if you decide to trial ninja squid I'd love to hear your verdict, Azure.

It's an interesting thing for sure (and I think ability crisis is a good term for what's happening in E-Liter/charger metas), but I'd still probably find myself using super jumps over lowering my personal mobility. I've always advocated for some swim speed over anything else mobility wise just to make sure you can maneuver a bit even if it isn't optimal. To be more concise, swim speed on chargers is mostly to assist in nailing roll outs.

Playing with Vanilla E-Liter in turf recently has also made me realize that I love its kit with how I can finish off opponents and circumvent the range changes with partials even though at this point the Custom is ridiculously better because the meta loves invincibility.

ChrisD

Speaking of E-Liters and invincibility, anyone want to tell the MetaBoys(TM) that they do have Beakons and that they don't bite?

I've seen like two Cust E-Liters in Randoms use them. Use your kit, jeez. You swapped for the Kraken, it's obvious since you all wear that ugly Gas Mask. You know what the kit has. Make use of iiiiiit.

The day of the Memepocalypse is here.

To commemorate I'm linking this Official Squid Children dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RBG4KLnGjY

tumblr_inline_o5xgjvFYeX1tq4vgb_500.jpg

They give the wrong JP splatfest maps on their twitter. lol It's Port Mackerel instead of Bluefin Depot. Still waiting for a more accurate winning rate estimation to see which team I'll choose, not gonna lose those 6 SSSs.

Jims

Permanent Inkbrush is soooooooooooooooooo much fun in Turf Wars. Cranking up the Tenacity + Special Charge Up makes it so free. You can go wherever you want!

(Although Hammerhead isn't the best stage for it. Gimme Flounder!)

Kind of a fun Slosher Deco build too. I think I play the weapon less recklessly (and therefore less stupidly) without the extra ink, and it's a fast Kraken-builder. Might try cheesing it during Splatfest with the setup.

I thought my teams would be instantly losing since I picked Patrick but I got lucky enough to have a decent team and won the first three matches in a row, weird.

Regiruler

I don't understand what the little team icon is for. It shows up at the start of the match next to a number, and agaim when choosing to continue.

Jims

Nice Splatfest rotation. Feels like it favors Dynamos a little with all those wide-open spaces, but it feels pretty balanced overall.

Had a nice comeback on Piranha, where the other team decided to spawn-camp us for 2 straight minutes. But during all that time, they neglected to paint either of the far edges. Just sat in the middle and tried to rack up kills. So when finally broke through at the end, we just captured mid and won by an easy 10-20%. I think they forgot we weren't in Ranked.

Kito

Made it to top 100 with gold dynamo after exactly 2 hours of playing. It's just luck. I'm now already back down to 1800 thanks to dumb teammates choosing carbon for competitve turf war.

We'll win a game one day with double dynamo, backlot :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah I need to read up on my gamepad controller because the left stick isn't responding much for my inkling's movement. It's really strange as it's been happening a lot more lately. Ironically when playing Starfox Zero yesterday I've had zero (heh) issues. Left stick worked perfectly fine with that game so...I don't know.

Will this be the thing that gets me to jump ship to NX this Holiday? lol

Jims

I think the entirety of S-rank went Team Patrick. In the mid-1600s and haven't seen a Spongebob team in 5 or 6 matches.

Love Turf Wars on Piranha Pit so much. Sneaking into the other team's lawn/deck chairs area down below is so much fun. Had a N-ZAP follow me all the way over there, just to get surprise-Kraken'd when he tried to ambush me. Those pits feels like the top of the grated wall on Moray. So far out of the way, and such a pain to clean up when it gets captured.

Top Bottom