• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Junahu

A real throwback ruleset would ban splat zones too.
A real throwback would be a pure Testfire ruleset;

Mode: Turf War
Stage: Walleye Warehouse + Saltspray Rig
Weapon: Splattershot jr, Splattershot, Splat Charger, Splat Roller
Gear: White Headband, Basic Tee, Cream Basics (repurchased without extra slots)

Imagine all the fun we'd have on two stages, with 4 weapons and absolutely no gear customisation.

Technically, the E3 Demo would be the ultimate throwback (Demo Urchin Underpass, Splattershot/Splat Bomb/Inkzooka, Gear without Abilities) but that can never happen for obvious reasons.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Here was the first month of updates for Splatoon. Patches and new game modes are highlighted, Splatfests are italicized, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, 160 pieces of gear in shops plus nine Amiibo-unlocked ones and the Splatfest Tee, five background songs during matches, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel, N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (same teams can play against each other in Splatfest when there aren't enough players on the other team; Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed; Inkstrike coverage made more consistent)

Pokemaniac

Splat Zones isn't banned because:

• It was revealed and demoed before the release of Splatoon.
  • It isn't DLC like N-Zap/Port, it's locked on disc. (Can't have a ranked lobby with one level 10 player.)
  • It was not announced in Inkopolis News like DLC usually is.
Technicality aside, as ChrisD says, it provides variety to what would be at least nine games of turf in a 4 team round robin.

Ummm, I don't think anything that released before the August update was actually not on the disc to begin with.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
If we're being technical, as far as the weapons go, the only ones that were actually downloaded were the Sloshers, Splatlings, Sheldon's Pick weapons, and the Octoshot Replica. Everything else is on the disc. As for the maps, IIRC all of the maps that released prior to the August update are on the disc, and the ones released after were downloaded. And all of the game modes are on the disc.

That said, I'm pretty sure Splat Zones was available in the pre-release review build while the N-ZAP and Port Mackerel weren't, so I'm OK with it being there.

*pushes glasses up on nose*

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/725517496372047873

MORE SPLATOON MERCH. They're ichiban kuji prizes, so start checking Amazon.co.jp for resellers.

461d606f25.jpg
A 50cm long plush. 50cm is pretty big!

Just... lol.

Not sure of the sizing on this one, I doubt it'll be the same quality as the KOG shirts if it's a crane game prize.

PET bottle holder you wear on your back like an ink tank.

Booyah Base "stamp blocks" (i.e. lego)

Keychains etc.

SOCKS!!! That look like shoes.

There's also a competition running at the same time, limited to 50 prizes:
A Squid Sisters shirt/socks combo pack. Pretty nice, and I'm pretty disappointed this one isn't going more widely available.

noshten

Playing since the patch and I got to say that Suction Bombs are the next thing getting nerfed. It's just too easy to abuse them now and it does appear around 30-40% of people in my games are utilizing them in some capacity.
I've been playing a lot of Octoshot Replica with mains Run Speed up and Haunt, some ink recovery/sub saver subs. Hovering between S60-90 in the last week. Still unable to make that final push to S+ for a third time.
I feel the nerfs have effected not only E-Liter but also Splatterscope I don't know how the rest of you feel but to me it seems charge time on Splatterscope makes it far less efficient than previously in close quarters. I feel that this patch has really allowed Splatling weapons to become the most annoying weapons for chargers - where previously chargers had an advantage over Splatling users.

Anyhow the Splatfest changes were alright but if you pick the less popular S team - it's daunting finding a good team in the Splatfest. Also previously I could test weapons that I wasn't as adapt in Splatfest now unless I want to let down my team I need to play with weapons I'm competent with. I guess it's an alright trade for finishing Splatfests faster, which I do find like a really positive change. While the "Power" levels and I-points you get have I guess made certain S/S+ Players play Splatfests a lot longer than usually.

Looking at the recent Nintendo reports I'm just wondering when they drop the new Splatoon amiibos and I'm still hoping there is more SP as well as other multiplayer content they will add to Splatoon as they don't really have anything coming to the Wii U this year.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey the Splatoon 3 pack is on sale at Best Buy, I really enjoyed SP mode, is $16.99 a worth it price for the Single player missions DLC - I don't care about the figures themselves.

ChrisD

Hey the Splatoon 3 pack is on sale at Best Buy, I really enjoyed SP mode, is $16.99 a worth it price for the Single player missions DLC - I don't care about the figures themselves.

If it's just for the missions... I think $12-$15 is more suitable, with $15 being high. They are all the same missions you've played before, just with different weapons/a challenge applied (low ink).

But it also comes with a few different loading screen games (with the Sound Test being one of them!), and some new gear.

I'd say it's worth it if you also play multiplayer. Otherwise you may feel a bit underwhelmed.

Playing since the patch and I got to say that Suction Bombs are the next thing getting nerfed. It's just too easy to abuse them now and it does appear around 30-40% of people in my games are utilizing them in some capacity.
I've been playing a lot of Octoshot Replica with mains Run Speed up and Haunt, some ink recovery/sub saver subs. Hovering between S60-90 in the last week. Still unable to make that final push to S+ for a third time.
I'm curious to hear about what you think Suction Bombs do that Splat Bombs can't normally do which puts Suction over Splat. Personally I like Suction Bombs more, but I know some folks that swear by Splat Bombs (and I'm currently playing Wasabi Splattershot a lot, so I have a lot of appreciation for Splat Bombs in certain cases as well).

I feel the nerfs have effected not only E-Liter but also Splatterscope I don't know how the rest of you feel but to me it seems charge time on Splatterscope makes it far less efficient than previously in close quarters. I feel that this patch has really allowed Splatling weapons to become the most annoying weapons for chargers - where previously chargers had an advantage over Splatling users.
Yeah I hear a lot of folks saying the (Kelp) Splat Charger/Splatterscopes are not in a good place right now. The non-Kelp chargers apparently have heavy depletion as well, which seems sort of weird. I haven't found Splatlings to be much more annoying to me than before (they've always been annoying for me), but it was an eye-opener yesterday when someone confirmed for me that full charge Hydra kills faster than Carbon/52 gal/Sploosh.

noshten

I'm curious to hear about what you think Suction Bombs do that Splat Bombs can't normally do which puts Suction over Splat. Personally I like Suction Bombs more, but I know some folks that swear by Splat Bombs (and I'm currently playing Wasabi Splattershot a lot, so I have a lot of appreciation for Splat Bombs in certain cases as well).

It's mainly the range it really allows people to use them strategically to flush people out in a better way than a splatbomb. While placing them strategically also allows you to keep positions secured or make a getaway. Although Splatbomb can definitely be abused I just find the suction mechanism, blast range, coupled with the range you can throw suction bombs better. Basically as someone who only recently started utilizing close range shooters - I don't even focus on my main ability that much. A couple of sub savers ensure you mostly have enough ink to cover/attack after throwing one, or you can throw two in quick succession. I've never found Splatbombs to be as effective for me personally

Yeah I hear a lot of folks saying the (Kelp) Splat Charger/Splatterscopes are not in a good place right now. The non-Kelp chargers apparently have heavy depletion as well, which seems sort of weird. I haven't found Splatlings to be much more annoying to me than before (they've always been annoying for me), but it was an eye-opener yesterday when someone confirmed for me that full charge Hydra kills faster than Carbon/52 gal/Sploosh.

For me my charger gameplay was always a lot more dynamic especially while sporting a SplatterScope - regular E-Liter w/Kraken. The new nerfs to the charger class have basically made my way of playing obsolete. I don't have enough awareness for an S player so I'm mostly a reactionary charger and in the past I could do very well while in the thick of things. The nerfs basically mean that you've gotta be a lot more conservative as a charger because anyone able to get into range needs to be killed with a fully charged shot which is not suitable for my way of playing a charger. Perhaps I need to check those close range squiffers but I truly enjoyed sniping and now it seems I'm more of a hindrance than help to my team.

Regiruler

It's mainly the range it really allows people to use them strategically to flush people out in a better way than a splatbomb. While placing them strategically also allows you to keep positions secured or make a getaway. Although Splatbomb can definitely be abused I just find the suction mechanism, blast range, coupled with the range you can throw suction bombs better. Basically as someone who only recently started utilizing close range shooters - I don't even focus on my main ability that much. A couple of sub savers ensure you mostly have enough ink to cover/attack after throwing one, or you can throw two in quick succession. I've never found Splatbombs to be as effective for me personally

For me my charger gameplay was always a lot more dynamic especially while sporting a SplatterScope - regular E-Liter w/Kraken. The new nerfs to the charger class have basically made my way of playing obsolete. I don't have enough awareness for an S player so I'm mostly a reactionary charger and in the past I could do very well while in the thick of things. The nerfs basically mean that you've gotta be a lot more conservative as a charger because anyone able to get into range needs to be killed with a fully charged shot which is not suitable for my way of playing a charger. Perhaps I need to check those close range squiffers but I truly enjoyed sniping and now it seems I'm more of a hindrance than help to my team.

Squiffers are pretty fun to use and also are a good inking weapon as well.

ChrisD

I counted 18 Krakens in three minutes of Splat Zones on Pit.

Tower Control is oozing into my SZ. :L

Edit: Probably asked this before, in fact I know I have; does Damage Up do anything for Splattershot Pros now, after the patches? I'm seeing loads of Triple Damage Up wearing Pros/Berry Pros.

Ogodei

Here was the first month of updates for Splatoon. Patches and new game modes are highlighted, Splatfests are italicized, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, 160 pieces of gear in shops plus nine Amiibo-unlocked ones and the Splatfest Tee, five background songs during matches, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel, N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (same teams can play against each other in Splatfest when there aren't enough players on the other team; Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed; Inkstrike coverage made more consistent)

Man, i remember the early days of the Luna Blaster before Urchin got fixed. No matter the mode, you could stand there at that little hump that led into the center area and just absolutely stonewall the enemy.

Man, i remember the early days of the Luna Blaster before Urchin got fixed. No matter the mode, you could stand there at that little hump that led into the center area and just absolutely stonewall the enemy.

I love old Urchin, but it was broken as fuck. I used to stand on that little ledge in the centre that stuck out, and even with just the Splat Charger, you could reach all three entrances and completely lock out the competition.

ChrisD

How did that map make it into the game anyways? Chargers and Blasters were around from the very beginning, they had to know it was heaven for them.

I counted 18 Krakens in three minutes of Splat Zones on Pit.

Tower Control is oozing into my SZ. :L

Edit: Probably asked this before, in fact I know I have; does Damage Up do anything for Splattershot Pros now, after the patches? I'm seeing loads of Triple Damage Up wearing Pros/Berry Pros.

They're going for the 2 shot. Damn well impractical but there you go.

Spades

Haven't played for months.

Just spent the last 2 minutes straight pressing A to Sheldon. "And that's not all!".

Jesus Christ, can they not have a skip button? Ridiculous.

Jamtin

Neo Member
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._join_a_new_splatoon_amiibo_range_on_8th_july

So it looks like the fabled Callie & Marie Amiibo are coming July 8th! As well there will be a re-skin of the boy inkling, girl inkling, & squid amiibos coming July 8th.

From the look of them it looks like Nintendo is targeting the figure collectors here. ;p

So now the only real question is when do we get the Spyke amiibo that allows us to get the rolls we want on our gear! ;p

Kito

Meh... No wasabi, and they swapped the colours of inkling girl and inkling squid instead of giving us teal & yellow or something.

ChrisD

They're going for the 2 shot. Damn well impractical but there you go.

Got it. If it drives them to try and aim more accurately, all the better on them I suppose. But I can't imagine playing a Pro without Ink Savers.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._join_a_new_splatoon_amiibo_range_on_8th_july

So it looks like the fabled Callie & Marie Amiibo are coming July 8th! As well there will be a re-skin of the boy inkling, girl inkling, & squid amiibos coming July 8th.

From the look of them it looks like Nintendo is targeting the figure collectors here. ;p

So now the only real question is when do we get the Spyke amiibo that allows us to get the rolls we want on our gear! ;p

The only thing in my mind is

I wonder when I can preorder these.

Because I need them. Though it is slightly disappointing that there's no Slosher/Splatling challenges... unless it's a secret feature of the new Inklings/Squid.

Jims

Whohoo! Just went on the most insane string of luck on re-rolls. Spent my 24 Patrick snails and walked away with 4 triples. I only had 4 triples before these rolls... Have just been settling on doubles for everything so far.

Baseball Jersey (Special Charge Up/Sub Saver)
Dark Urban Vest (Cold Blooded/Sub Saver)
Oyster Clogs (Run Speed/Swim Speed)
Crazy Arrows (Stealth Jump/Special Charge Up)

Either they tweaked the brand strength in 2.7.0 and didn't tell us, or else I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket. Huzzah for Spyke!

ryechu

Whohoo! Just went on the most insane string of luck on re-rolls. Spent my 24 Patrick snails and walked away with 4 triples. I only had 4 triples before these rolls... Have just been settling on doubles for everything so far.

Baseball Jersey (Special Charge Up/Sub Saver)
Dark Urban Vest (Cold Blooded/Sub Saver)
Oyster Clogs (Run Speed/Swim Speed)
Crazy Arrows (Stealth Jump/Special Charge Up)

Either they tweaked the brand strength in 2.7.0 and didn't tell us, or else I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket. Huzzah for Spyke!

thats essentially 3 tripes since oyster clogs are too ugly to use.

Jims

But it's my only Run/Swim combo! I want to have a perfect set of Run/Swims like all those cool Tentatek kids running around. :(

ss-hikaru

Meh... No wasabi, and they swapped the colours of inkling girl and inkling squid instead of giving us teal & yellow or something.

Yeah yellow would have been nice. All new colours would have been nice instead of reusing green and orange, although i do like orange the best so orange squid is cool.

Though it is slightly disappointing that there's no Slosher/Splatling challenges... unless it's a secret feature of the new Inklings/Squid.

Slosher/Splatling challenges would be amazing and you'd hope they would be smart enough to make the recolours worthwhile purchasing for more than just looks. Although what could the orange squid challenge be then?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Slosher/Splatling challenges would be amazing and you'd hope they would be smart enough to make the recolours worthwhile purchasing for more than just looks. Although what could the orange squid challenge be then?

Maybe a new weapon set is coming this summer? =O

Mik2121

I bought this game today because I heard great things and I found it really cheap.
Now, I'm having a lot of fun with it, but holy shit is it terrible for newcomers. I keep getting matched with people between ranks 40 and 50 and sometimes things get so unbalanced that I keep getting killed from far away without knowing what the hell did even hit me.

Oh well!

ryechu

I bought this game today because I heard great things and I found it really cheap.
Now, I'm having a lot of fun with it, but holy shit is it terrible for newcomers. I keep getting matched with people between ranks 40 and 50 and sometimes things get so unbalanced that I keep getting killed from far away without knowing what the hell did even hit me.

Oh well!

howd you find it cheap?

Vena

Oh well!

Play the single-player to get the ropes, but if you are being matched with 40-50s either you were doing really well for the background MM to think you're a twink, or those 40-50s are really, really bad. The level isn't actually what defines how good any one is in the way this game works for MM and general rankings.

ryechu

Play the single-player to get the ropes, but if you are being matched with 40-50s either you were doing really well for the background MM to think you're a twink, or those 40-50s are really, really bad. The level isn't actually what defines how good any one is in the way this game works for MM and general rankings.

not necessarily, the matchmaking algorithm in this game isnt very good. Sure it might have thought that he was a smurf, but if he starts doing poorly every game, its not going to place him with lvl 4-10 again.

nukedeggs

Ugh I want to get back into Splatoon but I haven't played since Flounder Heights/Hammerhead Bridge came out. How fucked will I be? I get the impression that there's been so many new weapons and meta development lol

ryechu

Ugh I want to get back into Splatoon but I haven't played since Flounder Heights/Hammerhead Bridge came out. How fucked will I be? I get the impression that there's been so many new weapons and meta development lol

youll be fine. its not like people get better at the game. its pretty funny actually.

abd

Oh well!

Welcome! Stay for the squids and tolerate the kids.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Are you referring to Sheldon's Picks Volume 2 or speculating release of a whole new weapon type to add to the shooter (which I think includes blasters?)/charger/roller/splatling/bucket list?

The latter! Though I have no idea what could be added...

Top Bottom