• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America to sell a majority of its interest in the Seattle Mariners.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Now with PR.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo of America today announced the planned sale of a majority of its interest in the Seattle Mariners to other members of the current ownership group. Under the plan, Nintendo of America will retain a 10% stake in the team, while the remainder of its holdings will be sold to other members of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP (FAE). FAE is the limited partnership that owns the Seattle Mariners, and a majority interest in ROOT Sports NW. Closing the transaction is subject to the finalization of legal contracts and approval from Major League Baseball which is expected in August of this year.

As part of the deal and at closing, current CEO Howard Lincoln will retire from day-to-day operations, and John Stanton will replace him as Chairman and CEO, and as the designated Major League Baseball Control Person. Lincoln will continue on as a member of the FAE Board of Directors, representing Nintendo’s ownership interests.

“From the first day of our involvement nearly 24 years ago, Nintendo has had two goals for its investment in the Mariners,” said Howard Lincoln. “First, we wanted to assure the permanence of the team in this great city. And on that count, I am proud and gratified that this agreement further solidifies that goal. On the other hand, I’m equally disappointed that we have not been able to host a World Series game for our fans.”

John Stanton said, “My goal and the goal of the entire Mariners ownership and management team is to win a World Series. I believe that the Mariners are well positioned to achieve that goal and it will be my honor to lead the organization. I want to thank Howard for his leadership for the last 17 years and thank the members of the board and ownership for giving me this opportunity.”

Specific details of the transaction will not be disclosed. A valuation of $1.4 billion for FAE’s holdings (team and RSN) was used as the basis for the sale. Nintendo of America, Howard Lincoln and John Stanton were principal participants in the negotiations.

FAE expects no organizational or personnel changes as a result of the transaction.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/25669...-sell-majority-of-their-stake-in-seattle-mari

Seattle MarinersVerified account
‏@Mariners
Nintendo of America plans to sell a majority of its interest in the #Mariners to other members of the current ownership group.

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/725445323141709826?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Nintendo of America will retain a 10% stake in the team. Remainder of its holdings sold to other members of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP.

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/725445504784441344

RBH

Nintendo of America plans to sell a majority of its interest in the #Mariners to other members of the current ownership group.

Nintendo of America will retain a 10% stake in the team. Remainder of its holdings sold to other members of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP.

#Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln will retire from day-to-day operations, and John Stanton will replace him as Chairman and CEO.
https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/725445323141709826

There have been whispers of the Mariners ownership selling for the past few years. The sudden announcement and confirmation came out of nowhere, though. Odd timing.

thefro

I think this is no coincidence that this news drops on the same day Nintendo announces their financial results in Japan (and before Kimishima comments to investors in a few hours).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo currently owns 55% of the team.

45% of the team (valued at 1.4 billion per terms of the deal) is $630 million

Pretty nice-sized warchest for NOA

Oh wow, that's more than I expected.

Weebos

Banned
Baseball's a video game right?

scene09631.jpg

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Good news.

Get that cash, wonder how much they will get.

Edit: $600M wut???

Isn't owning a professional sports team more of prestige thing than a business? I guess it is different when it is corporation compared to an individual though.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

thefro

This is the biggest L day Nintendo's ever had.

Please tell me this is their last bit of news for the day :'[ mercy

It's a good time for them to sell... the value is going to go down in a few years once cord-cutters cause the cable TV sports rights market to crash.

Isn't owning a professional sports team more of prestige thing than a business? I guess it is different when it is corporation compared to an individual though.

The ownership group bought the team for $125 million in 1992 and now it's worth $1.4 billion, so I think it's been pretty profitable for everyone.

Top Bottom