• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America to sell a majority of its interest in the Seattle Mariners.

Was Reggie not the CEO? What does this difference entail?

He is the President and COO, with Kimishima presiding as the global CEO. The executive restructuring just ensures Reggie his place in the board decisions with more power than previously held, though he is still considered low in the pecking order.

Arkam

Well this came out of nowhere, that's a smart business decision

Depending what they sold it for yea. Baseball is a (slowly) declining market as the NFL continues to be the juggernaut of US sports.

So probably good for Nintendo, but still feels weird since it was always the Nintendo Baseball team in my mind.

Empty

the product of a strategic pr move to deflect from populist political pressure to clamp down on dominant japanese manufacturing supposedly crowding out american companies lasted so long that in that time the economic threat from japan entirely collapsed, and now you see the same arguments made against china by the likes of trump

daTRUballin

What the fuck is going on with Nintendo today? I guess Kimishima is finally starting to show his mark on the company......

Wild to think that the failure the WiiU and delay of NX is directly responsible for the M's getting a competent ownership group

For some reason I had assumed Lincoln had long since retired. Didn't even know he was still CEO of anything until now. Only surprising tidbit from this news. I wonder what he thinks about Nintendo's current ventures.

Wild to think that indeed...
Of course it is. This sale is for infusion of $$$ in 2016 FY to prevent shareholder panic. Absolutely forced their hand

New ownership group is local and should hopefully care more about winning than fucking concessions sales

Dunan

All the major league teams have skyrocketed in value since the early 1990s. Even the lowest team's valuation makes the $95M paid in expansion fees by the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays look like chicken feed.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Honestly, when Yamauchi passed, it was kind of inevitable that Nintendo's ownership stake in the Mariners would be sold off shortly after.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll never forget how controversial Nintendo's purchase of the Mariners was back in the day. There was a huge "MADE IN AMERICA" screw Japan movement back then.

So everytime Sony makes an MLB game, Nintendo's been indirectly getting a cut from royalties?

Did Kojima write the script for the console war? The story is convoluted

ken-griffey-jr.jpg

featuring the most racist depiction of a black person in a 16 bit game

griffeytitle.jpg

So everytime Sony makes an MLB game, Nintendo's been indirectly getting a cut from royalties?

Did Kojima write the script for the console war? The story is convoluted

And Howard Lincoln just mentioned Microsoft in the conference. I believe someone from there is on the board.

SummitAve

Banned
Of course it is. This sale is for infusion of $$$ in 2016 FY to prevent shareholder panic. Absolutely forced their hand

New ownership group is local and should hopefully care more about winning than fucking concessions sales

Was Howard Lincoln forced out? The sale is because he's retiring and passing majority owner responsibility to somebody more willing.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
So glad we're saying goodbye to that worthless CEO Howard Lincoln. It was always a curiosity that Nintendo owned a large chunk of the team, but it didn't really benefit the club in terms of putting a winning team on the field. I'm hoping we're seeing a renaissance for the Mariners. New CEO, new manager, new coach all will hopefully result in an amazing new look for the club.

Top Bottom