• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Fair enough, I haven't really kept up with the game even though I own it. Just glad I missed all of that launch stuff.

Being honest I bought it at launch and it was a solid single player game, obviously that wasn't the intentions, but it was still good. Just obviously VERY feature light. Since then Evolution have pretty much done everything right, including the bikes expansion recently which is awesome.

pixelbox

Nice, didn't realise it was already in.

On the topic of POM, do you have any insight into a little "flaw" it has? (Not just in DC, in general)

Why do the edges of POM materials have a stretched/blurry look as if it's actually ~10 copies of a 2D material stacked on top of each other? Is it because it's essentially stretching the texture and using it at the sides?

Example in a UE4 picture here if you don't get the way I worded it. Edge of each pebble, not the overall POM mesh.

That's essentially what it is. The stretching is caused by the lack of data for the angles provided. The set textures are moved around and occlude each other to give the appearance of depth.

nOoblet16

As far as I know the POM was already there. The new feature is shadows casting from those POM materials as if they were true 3D.

IIRC what they had before was just parallax mapping, POM i.e. Parallax Occlusion Mapping is a variation of parallax mapping that has shadow casting ability.

That's essentially what it is. The stretching is caused by the lack of data for the angles provided. The set textures are moved around and occlude each other to give the appearance of depth.

Cool, thought so. It's trippy to go right up to a strongly-"POMed" material in UE4 and see it all shift with the camera.

IIRC what they had before was just parallax mapping, POM i.e. Parallax Occlusion Mapping is a variation of parallax mapping that has shadow casting ability.

From what I saw it was indeed already POM, but Rushy's tweet specifically calls the new one out as "SSPOM", Self Shadowing POM.

HTupolev

Non-POM parallax mapping techniques fudge texture coordinates around, but the heightmapped details can't actually obstruct each other. This generally results in surfaces appearing to flatten when viewed at more oblique angles.

The "occlusion" in POM refers to the heightmap details being able to visually occlude each other from the camera.

Shadow casting ability is what's special about the DriveClub implementation.

8EbUCOP.gif

The windshield is wet from the rain, the sun is shinning on it and the whippers are distorting the sun's reflection. ( I think)

8EbUCOP.gif

The windshield is wet from the rain, the sun is shinning on it and the whippers are distorting the sun's reflection. ( I think)

I think you're right, but it looks like the distorted reflection is actually those streaks that are left from the wipers affecting the refraction on the glass, as opposed to the raindrops themselves.

Whatever it is it looks gorgeous.

EDIT: I have a request. Global Illumination is essentially light bouncing, right? So in theory, a game with GI could have a scene where a bright yellow car is causing a yellow glow on the road below it, right?

If so, can anyone show me an example in Driveclub?

KRaZyAmmo

NFS looks really good. How's the photomode?

I like the photo mode. I just wish we can take the settings from the photo mode into the actual game. It looks so much better with Chromatic Aberration, film grain, and PP (got it)
agn8FNz.jpg

aUIJijo.jpg

^ first time messing around with it.

Javin98

Banned
Now those shots look damn good. I have no idea why devs love a blurry, post processed look in some games this gen. It just ruins the IQ if you ask me. Also, were the road textures on the PS4 version fixed?

KRaZyAmmo

Now those shots look damn good. I have no idea why devs love a blurry, post processed look in some games this gen. It just ruins the IQ if you ask me. Also, were the road textures on the PS4 version fixed?

Yes they were fixed in a recent patch on the PS4 version. I gotta learn how to frame cars like Benzy.

benzy

NFS looks really good. How's the photomode?

Pretty great. Similar to DC except the game is still playing in real-time while you move the camera around. Dunno what AA it's using but it's fantastic, the shots are in-game, no supersampling.

Nice! I have a white S2K in the game and IRL!

Here's one I took when the game came out:

CTwrme0WsAEfG_u

Sweet. I got a silver one IRL lol.

drotahorror

Yes they were fixed in a recent patch on the PS4 version. I gotta learn how to frame cars like Benzy.

Some of the shots you posted in the OT are very nice. I reckon Benzy is on PC and that's the reason it looks much cleaner. Also you hosted your pics on imgur which is notorious for compression.

KRaZyAmmo

Some of the shots you posted in the OT are very nice. I reckon Benzy is on PC and that's the reason it looks much cleaner. Also you hosted your pics on imgur which is notorious for compression.

Those are just garage pics though. Which imaging site would recommend instead of imgur?

Sky Saw

Banned
Bumping this just to show off NFS now that it's kinda out on PC. 4K>1080 downsampled.

Far and away the best looking game I've ever seen. I can't believe how much better it looks than anything else on the market.

Wow that bottom one especially looks incredible, do you have more?

T.O.P

Banned
Bumping this just to show off NFS now that it's kinda out on PC. 4K>1080 downsampled.

Far and away the best looking game I've ever seen. I can't believe how much better it looks than anything else on the market.

Holy fuck

The cleaner IQ (coming from the X1 version) does wonders, might grab it when it goes on sale, i liked the game but not that much much to pay full price a second time

Top Bottom